• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X Yosemite [OT]

So Chrome isn't great again? I switched from Chrome to FF probably a year and a half ago due to some performance issues that weren't getting fixed (gifs, among other things). Apparently that stuff has been taken care of since.

Now, fullscreen in FF is broken and it's driving me up a wall. Safari's UI is terrible so I certainly can't switch over to that.

I like Safari's UI personally. It takes up less room than Chrome.

The 64-bit version of Chrome for Mac is supposed to leave a lot of baggage behind, and may close the gap again some. It should be coming in the next major update or so.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So Chrome isn't great again? I switched from Chrome to FF probably a year and a half ago due to some performance issues that weren't getting fixed (gifs, among other things). Apparently that stuff has been taken care of since.
Don't know. Don't really care if Chrome ever gets good again. Safari is amazing on Yosemite and Mavericks when it comes to energy and I like its simplicity and look and don't even miss the extra extensions I had, just like I didn't miss the ones I lost when I switched to Chrome from Firefox. Sure it has its faults (Status bar is handled so stupidly. Either you have an always shown waste of space on screen or you don't know what URL you're clicking and have to use an extension, which may or may not stop working unexpectedly. And not remembering the Zoom setting for websites and not having a global option for people with large resolutions who don't like tiny text is really really stupid too. Thankfully that can be sort of fixed with CSS extensions too.) but I couldn't ever consider going back.

I like Safari's UI personally. It takes up less room than Chrome.
If I could, I'd hide the tab bar completely and just use the Tab View page. But A) you can't hide it when more than one tab is open and B) you can't rearrange tabs on the Tab View page. But man, if I could, I would so hard.

Ambitious

The Deliveries widget doesn't refresh automatically, at least for me. I have to start the app and sometimes even manually refresh it.

edit:

My rMBP just locked up. I could still move the cursor, but everything else was frozen. Had to force restart it. And for some reason Safari Keyword Search has now lost all the searches I had defined. Fucking hell.

Are you fucking kidding me? My searches are now gone again, without any discernible reason! Luckily I had exported them after re-defining them after the first time. Need to find another extension.

Zuly

I don't know if there was an update to Chrome but now Chrome is acting as smoothly as it used before I installed Yosemite. I'm also having issues loading pages on Safari. I thought my router was the culprit but it turned out to be Safari. Do you know if there's a fix for it?

N4Us

I gave myself the long needed update a while back (from 10.6.8) and I've noticed every once in a while my screen will glitch/distort for a millisecond, seems to mainly happen when I load a page.

Anyone else have something like that happen? It's not terrible but I'm worried if it leads to something worse.

mrkgoo

The Deliveries widget doesn't refresh automatically, at least for me. I have to start the app and sometimes even manually refresh it.

edit:

Are you fucking kidding me? My searches are now gone again, without any discernible reason! Luckily I had exported them after re-defining them after the first time. Need to find another extension.

What's Safari Keyword Search?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Safari needs fav icons. It becomes a problem when you're using several tabs.
Yeah. I tried installing Glims again because it said it was updated for Yosemite (Or as they worded it "post-Mavericks") and it didn't put any favicons anywhere and it seemed way too buggy. Is the dev ever going to fix it? I miss my favicons in my tabs and bookmarks sidebar. Anyone else want to test it out? (There's an uninstaller available if you need to revert)

I don't understand Apple's hatred of the one feature of modern browsers that makes the web easier to use. They don't have them in the address bar, the tabs, the bookmarks. Even the bookmarks grid doesn't show them instead it opts for the iOS style "icon" which a lot of sites don't even have. If it at least showed a favicon when the site icon isn't available it'd be fine. It's bullshit. I'd pay for an app that hacked this stuff back in everywhere. It's all I want. Visual assistance when dealing with websites.

We all need to submit feedback about putting them back. I don't care if they bury it as a hidden option that's off by default as long as it's there.

EmiPrime

Until Safari has favicons I won't even consider using it again.

Such a bizarre omission. I am sure Apple engineers have me well beaten when it comes to the number of tabs open so I would love to know what's going on behind the scenes there. At least make it an option...

Sean

Banned
Can anyone please test if there's still a ".webloc" icon on Yosemite? It's showing as a blank white generic icon for me and it's driving me nuts.

(To test just drag the address bar URL to your desktop, or any link from Safari to the desktop. You should see an icon similar to this:

shortcut_icons14.png
)

Arcteryx

Can anyone please test if there's still a ".webloc" icon on Yosemite? It's showing as a blank white generic icon for me and it's driving me nuts.

(To test just drag the address bar URL to your desktop, or any link from Safari to the desktop. You should see an icon similar to this:

shortcut_icons14.png
)

Generic icon for me too, although while dragging I see the neogaf logo briefly(a la favicon). Kinda odd.

Sean

Banned
Thanks guys, seems to be a strange bug. I have the .webloc icon showing up on one of my Mac's but not the other. And the two different tests here had two different results as well... Weird.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Weblocks really annoy me, why can't they just use a simple INI file like Windows (with the .URL extension), that way it's OS-independent.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Weblocks really annoy me, why can't they just use a simple INI file like Windows (with the .URL extension), that way it's OS-independent.
Agreed. That's all it has to be. A URL in a plain text file.

For some reason they're binary files with no way to tell what the URL is, even if you Get Info. You can QuickLook them though. Not that it necessarily helps. It just opens the URL in a QL window.

What works:

Migration over WiFi

The problem:

Does not find source over thunderbolt. I have tried placing the source to target mode. The source is an early 2011 model, 13". The target is a 2014 MBP. Can't even see the source laptop in disk utility.

What am I doing wrong for these two machines not to see each other?

Meh3D

Using a 15” maxed out work MacBook Pro (Feb2013 512GB/16Gb/650M/2.7 i7)

Updated sometime last week to Yosemite and I have a few observations:

I like using the gestures with the track pad. So far every device I've used with Yosemite suffers from awful choppy window transitions. For example, the closed hand gesture shows me all my windows by moving them into place so they all fit on the screen at the same time. On the MBP15 I get about 2-3 frames (sometimes 1) when I do this. Maximizing a window will also do the same but not as severe. The only fluid animation is the dock with the genie effect.

I was at the Apple Store to buy apple care for the new iPad I purchased. I tested the the 5K iMac and the rMPB13. The exact same issues. (On a side note, the new 5K iMac with the M290X handles the preview playback window flawlessly with 4K content. Though I'm not sure if any effects were being previewed.)

I'm not sure what's going on with this. The GPUs (including the Intel ones) should handle these effects with no issues. Where this issue really annoys me is when the content of the windows flickers in the transitions. This keeps psyching me into thinking something is going to crash. Safari is also psyching me out it feels like I'm going to lose stuff to page reloads when it flickers. (Like the iPad.)

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
I just recently got an iMac 5K. All is fine and well in general, but there's one odd thing I've noticed. When I wake it up from sleep it first takes a second or two to adjust the brightness, then a few seconds later the hue seems to change into a slightly warmer tone. What's that all about?

Ambitious

I think I'm going to turn Continuity for phone calling off. Three devices ringing at once is annoying enough, but two of them continuing to ring for a second or two after picking up the call on the third is too much.

LCfiner

I just recently got an iMac 5K. All is fine and well in general, but there's one odd thing I've noticed. When I wake it up from sleep it first takes a second or two to adjust the brightness, then a few seconds later the hue seems to change into a slightly warmer tone. What's that all about?

do you have a calibrated color profile for the computer? see what happens if you do and go back to the default.

I assume you don’t have flux running.

kehs

Banned
Using a 15” maxed out work MacBook Pro (Feb2013 512GB/16Gb/650M/2.7 i7)

Updated sometime last week to Yosemite and I have a few observations:

I like using the gestures with the track pad. So far every device I've used with Yosemite suffers from awful choppy window transitions. For example, the closed hand gesture shows me all my windows by moving them into place so they all fit on the screen at the same time. On the MBP15 I get about 2-3 frames (sometimes 1) when I do this. Maximizing a window will also do the same but not as severe. The only fluid animation is the dock with the genie effect.

I was at the Apple Store to buy apple care for the new iPad I purchased. I tested the the 5K iMac and the rMPB13. The exact same issues. (On a side note, the new 5K iMac with the M290X handles the preview playback window flawlessly with 4K content. Though I'm not sure if any effects were being previewed.)

I'm not sure what's going on with this. The GPUs (including the Intel ones) should handle these effects with no issues. Where this issue really annoys me is when the content of the windows flickers in the transitions. This keeps psyching me into thinking something is going to crash. Safari is also psyching me out it feels like I'm going to lose stuff to page reloads when it flickers. (Like the iPad.)

This actually resolved itself for me('13 mba). I'm not sure exactly what changed though.

I did turn on the "reduce transparency" option in display though.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Colour profile is per-user, so mayube it is applying your colour profile after it wakes up? Can see it on my Mac Pro's two monitors when I log in.

do you have a calibrated color profile for the computer? see what happens if you do and go back to the default.

I assume you don’t have flux running.

I do log in as the admin, and as far as I know I haven't messed about with any calibration -- I'm using the standard iMac color profile. However, it only seems to happen if the computer's been sleeping for a while.

I don't even know what flux is :)

kuppy

About the calendar displaying overlapping events, that actually don't overlap.

Monday: Yellow 8:00 - 8:10am, Red 8:15 - 10:00am

I don't want the events to be arranged next to each other. I get that this is useful when there are actually events at the same time, but for this case there isn't, so please put them below each other.

I guess the problem is that calendar doesn't want to not show the title of an event or display the title in a smaller font. I would prefer it that way though.
In the preferences I have my scale set to show 14 hours at a time, when I go down to 8 it's perfect:

But well I would like to see 14 hours at a time.
Does anyone know a way around this?

I just put in some of those yellow events, actually my whole calendar should be full of them plus others, but this way I don't really want to add them, which of course isn't optimal.

Sch1sm

Okay. Help me out here. I've got no time to look through reviews before heading to the nearest Apple store, which is a load of no cell service through most of the subway. Thunderbolt to gigabit ethernet or usb to gigabit ethernet?

jts

...hate me...
Okay. Help me out here. I've got no time to look through reviews before heading to the nearest Apple store, which is a load of no cell service through most of the subway. Thunderbolt to gigabit ethernet or usb to gigabit ethernet?
I'd go for Thunderbolt.

Let's you have more USB ports available. Doesn't steal USB bandwidth, and Thunderbolt's bandwidth is plenty.

Only con is that is less of a universal device, which you could use with anything in an emergency if it were USB.

Sch1sm

I'd go for Thunderbolt.

Let's you have more USB ports available. Doesn't steal USB bandwidth, and Thunderbolt's bandwidth is plenty.

Only con is that is less of a universal device, which you could use with anything in an emergency if it were USB.

I was thinking the same on the USB while also considering there's only two available to begin with. Might end up being a complete burden if I need to charge my wireless mouse, and need to say, charge a device at the same time when away from a socket. I miss the ethernet port of my PC, but I guess this is the result of a much slimmer profile. Sigh. Thanks! Might buy a cheaper USB to ethernet one in future since it really doesn't have to be Apple branded.

Get'sMad

Messages does this weird thing where if i have it over another app window (like say my browser) and then I click the app window thats under it, the messages window always jumps to the bottom of my screen/desktop. It also does this sometimes when I click in the box to type a message. This only happens with messages...never had this occur with it on Mavericks. It's annoying as hell.

mollipen

I haven't had the chance yet to search this thread to see if there's any answer (or if anyone else is having the issue), but man is typing into text boxes on NeoGAF slow under Yosemite Safari. No other sites that I've noticed, just NeoGAF.

Sch1sm

Weird. Okay. Suddenly Safari just wouldn't let me use the scroll gesture on trackpad; had to either use the arrow keys or just mouse and scrollbar. Anyone else come across this? Worked fine after I deselected the gestures and reselected them, but I'm hoping it's some fluke occurrence.

Messages does this weird thing where if i have it over another app window (like say my browser) and then I click the app window thats under it, the messages window always jumps to the bottom of my screen/desktop. It also does this sometimes when I click in the box to type a message. This only happens with messages...never had this occur with it on Mavericks. It's annoying as hell.

similar problem happens to me.

the message box jumps to the left of my screen when i try to close it (i usually have it on the right side of my screen). only happens when i try to close it.

Ambitious

I haven't had the chance yet to search this thread to see if there's any answer (or if anyone else is having the issue), but man is typing into text boxes on NeoGAF slow under Yosemite Safari. No other sites that I've noticed, just NeoGAF.

Happened to me a few times. Can't reproduce it, though.

Much1

Neo Member
Have being running Yosemite for a few weeks now, really smooth I keep however having problems with changing the volume at times??

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
My experience has been shockingly bad. From what I can tell its related to multiple apps now requiring HUGE compressed memory swap files. Like 50-50gb persistent hdd memory for Mail.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
I'm experiencing the, apparently, widespread WiFi-problem. I.e. I have to restart my router to connect if I wake my mac from sleep, the connection stutters at times during use, etc. Very annoying, as if the issues I've had with my chromecast wasn't enough.

rawd

A week later after using Yosemite on my 2010 MBP...

I noticed any graphical effect would cause some minor stuttering or slowdown... Hitting F3 (whatever that key is called) causes a lockup of a few seconds .. I turned on the 'Reduce transparency' setting in Accessibility and it helped alot. The only downside to that was it turned the dock background blindingly white.

Found this app here, http://cdock.sourceforge.net/, that let me change it and my performance is back without being blinded by the dock bg anymore.

Fuchsdh

A week later after using Yosemite on my 2010 MBP...

I noticed any graphical effect would cause some minor stuttering or slowdown... Hitting F3 (whatever that key is called) causes a lockup of a few seconds .. I turned on the 'Reduce transparency' setting in Accessibility and it helped alot. The only downside to that was it turned the dock background blindingly white.

Found this app here, http://cdock.sourceforge.net/, that let me change it and my performance is back without being blinded by the dock bg anymore.

At least the lag isn't as bad as Aqua originally was :)

Top Bottom