• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTS| Yeah I couldn't come up with a thread title ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.

Usobuko

Banned
I'm kind of in a slump Manga-GAF and I'm wanting something new to read besides my normal weekly series. There's nothing like finding a new series that you fall in love with and look forward to getting caught up with (If it's still going). I'm mostly a lover of standard shonen (Big 3, Toriko, HxH, Nanatsu no Taizai ect.) but I also enjoy dark fantasy (Beserk, Claymore, Ubel Blatt) and anything in general that revolves around powers/abilities. I do not like shojo, slice of life, or anything revolving around standard everyday normalities or romances.

Anybody know of any series that you think that I would enjoy based on my likes? I'm really hoping to find a new series that grabs me and gets me back into reading mode again.

Fullmetal Alchemist, Gash Bell, Blade of the Immortal, Shin Angyo Onshi.

Vagabond, Vinland Saga and Kingdom are a little more grounded but I think they are just as good.

I'm kind of in a slump Manga-GAF and I'm wanting something new to read besides my normal weekly series. There's nothing like finding a new series that you fall in love with and look forward to getting caught up with (If it's still going). I'm mostly a lover of standard shonen (Big 3, Toriko, HxH, Nanatsu no Taizai ect.) but I also enjoy dark fantasy (Beserk, Claymore, Ubel Blatt) and anything in general that revolves around powers/abilities. I do not like shojo, slice of life, or anything revolving around standard everyday normalities or romances.

Anybody know of any series that you think that I would enjoy based on my likes? I'm really hoping to find a new series that grabs me and gets me back into reading mode again.

Try Tokyo Ghoul a Seinen. The art really improves as it goes on like till chapter 30 and so on. It also contains one of the best main character development in a manga. It also has a sequel called Tokyo Ghoul:re that continues the series (ongoing). So try that you won't be dissapointed.

And if you like martial arts try The Breaker and it's sequel The Breaker:New waves.

Also for God looking art and nice action try Onepunch Man.

My Hero Academia is a new Shonen Jump series. It's pretty good so far and it's looking like it won't be suddenly canned anytime soon.
If you like the Big 3 and HxH give it a shot.

Big One

Banned
Cause I was bored, did this for the color page for My Hero Academia. Transparency:

QIOKgzb.png

Could be useful if anyone makes an OT for the series someday.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
My Hero Academia is going to be the series people turn on super fast. I virtually guarantee you'll see people saying how it went to shit within 20 chapters.

My Hero Academia is going to be the series people turn on super fast. I virtually guarantee you'll see people saying how it went to shit within 20 chapters.

With growing popularity there will be growing hate it's inevitable. I mean there are people calling it Naruto 2.0. It's not like it's gonna go downhill like Naruto did, please tell me it won't guys please.

Big One

Banned
With growing popularity there will be growing hate. I mean there are people calling it Naruto 2.0. It's not like it's gonna go downhill like Naruto did, please tell me it won't guys please.
Just as long as it remains light hearted and fun and make Deku a genuine underdog character, I'll be ok with it. If it becomes emo garbage like Naruto did I'm going to be eh on it.

Plus the character design itself has me more interested in this than Naruto. It's real rough but there's a lot of really unique and cool designs in My Hero Academia to the characters and monsters.

Hence why i'm just watching from the sidelines for now to see what ultimately happens.

Though to its credit its been getting a massive amount of hype compared to other recent jump works (that ultimately sucked shit) so we'll see if it can keep it up..

Hence why i'm just watching from the sidelines for now to see what ultimately happens.

Though to its credit its been getting a massive amount of hype compared to other recent jump works (that ultimately sucked shit) so we'll see if it can keep it up..

Is it me or did it start getting hype right when Naruto ended, because to me it seemed as if nobody really cared about it when it was starting out. Oh well I just hope it doesn't go downhill.

Is it me or did it start getting hype right when Naruto ended, because to me it seemed as if nobody really cared about it when it was starting out. Oh well I just hope it doesn't go downhill.
I was there day one brah.

Bought the digital version of Viz's One Punch Man. Hate digital but hopefully we get that print....

Big One

Banned
I read it before Naruto ended myself when we got those shitty translations, then dropped it cause eh fuck shitty translations. Then a new group came out and started to scanlate the series and posted it on various boards and I gave it another shot and really enjoyed it.

It also caught on in Japan before Naruto ended. Maybe it was the need to fill that Naruto niche, but I think there's a bigger element to it. Primarily linked to the success of Marvel movies as these worldwide blockbusters, now practically put into a shonen manga.

Zweizer

Banned
Tokyo Ghoul ch108-143 (End)

Well, we get some more twists and reveals. The final battle and the events that unfolded during, while gripping, didn't felt very satisfying. I can see why there were meltdowns at the ending.

Ultimately I'd say it was a rather enjoyable series as a whole. It takes a little while to get going as it feels somewhat directionless before the introduction of Aogiri Tree, but after that the overall plot remained pretty strong, even if it came at the cost of diminushed focus on the question of coexistence between humans and ghouls. The premise of humans and ghouls being morally not much different felt somewhat clumsy at first, but in this instance works thanks the perspective from the protagonist, Kaneki.

Kaneki himself is pretty interesting protagonist, and I must say I rather liked him, the way he grew and faced the sturggles he encountered in the course of the series. Not perfect by any means, but he was a pretty well-rounded character, with doubts, goals and evolution.

Solid read and I can see why some (I won't drop names here) are crazy for it. Still...

Arima should have been the protagonist.

Trinity Seven 17.5-18

I'm thinking the author hasn't settled on what size Liese is supposed to be at this point in time since it keeps changing constantly.

Also, that's a pretty lame time stop ability.

What's everyone's top 5 Shonen Jump comics that have worse character development than Garfield?

1. Fairy Tail
2. Bakuman
3. Shaman King
4. Bleach
5. Toriko

Akito

Helter Skelter
I've read this some time ago and was rather disturbed by it (in a good way). This time it was obviously not quite as shocking an experience but the Ririko's hellish trip is still a sight to behold. I also manage to watch the live action movie this time and it turned out pretty much as expected. The film was toned down quite a bit but sticked really close to the manga otherwise. The rather bland and stiff acting plus bad make-up and special effects were what ultimately pulled it down. If you can't tell the Ririko from the beginning and the one at the end of the story apart aside from some bruises then the story lost its whole meaning.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Cause I was bored, did this for the color page for My Hero Academia. Transparency:

QIOKgzb.png

Could be useful if anyone makes an OT for the series someday.

It looks nice.

With growing popularity there will be growing hate it's inevitable. I mean there are people calling it Naruto 2.0. It's not like it's gonna go downhill like Naruto did, please tell me it won't guys please.

The manga is alright but the character design are lackluster and not memorable. The tropes its using has been dried out of all its goodness for ages. I say this manga will die by chapter 30.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

I bet you anything people will say it sucks faster than they did Naruto. I remember the last series people were all excited about in Jump. Yeah, that's Assassination Classroom.

Don't get hype on a concept.

Big One

Banned
I bet you anything people will say it sucks faster than they did Naruto. I remember the last series people were all excited about in Jump. Yeah, that's Assassination Classroom.

Don't get hype on a concept.
What's wrong with Ass Class? i stopped reading it a couple of chapters in but from what I read it was a pretty enjoyable and fun series. I mean Soma is better obviously but ass Class didn't seem to have anything that offends any normal sensibilities or outright bad writing.

Tokyo Ghoul ch108-143 (End)

Well, we get some more twists and reveals. The final battle and the events that unfolded during, while gripping, didn't felt very satisfying. I can see why there were meltdowns at the ending.

Ultimately I'd say it was a rather enjoyable series as a whole. It takes a little while to get going as it feels somewhat directionless before the introduction of Aogiri Tree, but after that the overall plot remained pretty strong, even if it came at the cost of diminushed focus on the question of coexistence between humans and ghouls. The premise of humans and ghouls being morally not much different felt somewhat clumsy at first, but in this instance works thanks the perspective from the protagonist, Kaneki.

Kaneki himself is pretty interesting protagonist, and I must say I rather liked him, the way he grew and faced the sturggles he encountered in the course of the series. Not perfect by any means, but he was a pretty well-rounded character, with doubts, goals and evolution.

Solid read and I can see why some (I won't drop names here) are crazy for it. Still...

Arima should have been the protagonist.

Why Arima the Gary Stu as protagonist?

tumblr_narmjyCdO91sn4hwso2_400.png

What do you see in this heartless bastard?

Anyways I'm glad that you read it and you know you wanted to mention my name on how crazy I am for this series :)

Zweizer

Banned
Why Arima the Gary Stu as protagonist?

tumblr_narmjyCdO91sn4hwso2_400.png

What do you see in this heartless bastard?

Anyways I'm glad that you read it and you know you wanted to mention my name on how crazy I am for this series :)

I was being facetious, but you have to admit his achievements are pretty impressive considering he's (apparently) human, and doesn't play around at all during his fights. Of course, he hasn't got any development in the course of the series so character-wise he's nowhere as interesting as Kaneki.

Amon would have made a pretty interesting protagonist though.

I was being facetious, but you have to admit his achievements are pretty impressive considering he's (apparently) human, and doesn't play around at all during his fights. Of course, he hasn't got any development in the course of the series so character-wise he's nowhere as interesting as Kaneki.

Amon would have made a pretty interesting protagonist though.

Arima was entirely a beast, that signature dodge though.

Yeah Amon would have definitely made a interesting protagonist.

What's wrong with Ass Class? i stopped reading it a couple of chapters in but from what I read it was a pretty enjoyable and fun series. I mean Soma is better obviously but ass Class didn't seem to have anything that offends any normal sensibilities or outright bad writing.

I heard that the jokes were repetitive.

G.ZZZ

Hero's Academia is already stale as shit at chapter 10. How many trite tropes can u fit in those 10 chapters really zzzz
I've literally read this manga already 10 different times with 10 different names, and i will forget it like the other dozens of copycats titles i've forgotten.

AssClass was probably not as a stale but it went nowhere and wasn't funny either as an episodic manga, read like 10 chaps then dropped. Naruto/OP/DB etc... had all a grander scope, a way more visible endgame, a sense of exploration and prospect adventure all over the world even if they may have went to shit later on... those boring as shit wannabe superpowered highschool kids which literally live in the HS and nowhere else are so stupid and unbelievable. The only one i ever read that was decently was Medaka because he was a megatroll and even that was unberably boring the first 30-40 chaps.

Big One

Banned
Hero's Academia is already stale as shit at chapter 10. How many trite tropes can u fit in those 10 chapters really zzzz
I've literally read this manga already 10 different times with 10 different names, and i will forget it like the other dozens of copycats titles i've forgotten.

AssClass was probably not as a stale but it went nowhere and wasn't funny either as an episodic manga, read like 10 chaps then dropped. Naruto/OP/DB etc... had all a grander scope, a way more visible endgame, a sense of exploration and prospect adventure all over the world even if they may have went to shit later on... those boring as shit wannabe superpowered highschool kids which literally live in the HS and nowhere else are so stupid and unbelievable. The only one i ever read that was decently was Medaka because he was a megatroll and even that was unberably boring the first 30-40 chaps.
Hah

360pages

The be Fair... I do think separating Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z from one another in the Anime was actually really smart. Because despite having the same characters they were far different.

Dragon Ball was amazing, and Dragon Ball Z was fun if you cut off you brain.

Big One

Banned
The be Fair... I do think separating Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z from one another in the Anime was actually really smart. Because despite having the same characters they were far different.

Dragon Ball was amazing, and Dragon Ball Z was fun if you cut off you brain.
Eh it's just an illusion. After reading the manga in full the only drastic shift I noticed in terms of characters going crazy with their powers is during the tail end of the "Dragonball" portion when Goku fought Piccolo Jr. That was Z era stuff before "Dragonball Z" was even a thing. I think they did Z cause there was a plan on making Gohan the new main character but that never came to be cause Goku is more popular.

360pages

Eh it's just an illusion. After reading the manga in full the only drastic shift I noticed in terms of characters going crazy with their powers is during the tail end of the "Dragonball" portion when Goku fought Piccolo Jr. That was Z era stuff before "Dragonball Z" was even a thing. I think they did Z cause there was a plan on making Gohan the new main character but that never came to be cause Goku is more popular.

I think that was far more natural, since it was the end of the first half pretty much. Even then that was the first example of that kind of stuff in Dragon Ball.Of course this evolved far too much and the first 5 arcs of Dragon ball was very much an adventure while the Z arcs was mostly stationary in one area fighting stronger and stronger foes.

It was less of an adventure and more about who brought a bigger gun to a fight. The only time this came up in the first half was in the world tournaments and even then those were paced well and only happened after every other major arc, thus they weren't boring.

The flow was. Adventure---->Tournament----->Adventure.

What kind of idiot throws away a mushroom?

That's like your only protection against the devilish being known as the blue shell.

Akane being best girl is nothing new.

Not much of a point in having any of the other girls appear so long as she exist.

Usobuko

Banned
Originality and tropes are not so much an issue with skillful execution.

Survival game genre is blooming in Japan but most of them feature uninteresting and lazily designed game, cliche development usually complemented with the stereotypical Yandere characters. They go for the maximum 'ha, in your face' twist, nailing neither the psychological nor game aspect of the genre.

apparently it was doing well after its first "official" rank and that might have eventually got a sub group to translate (would explain how quickly the translated chapters were coming out).

I think the naruto thing could be a coincidence or maybe it was because Naruto was wrapping up it allowed whatever group to see what the next jump project could be

You did say it would get popular, props to that man.

like any broken clock

jesus christ shindol

LOL

plus with his previous work we now might know the theme of whatever tankubon is released eventually :p

Mecha

Originality and tropes are not so much an issue with skillful execution.

I wouldn't say Hero Academia skillfully executes its cliches, a story is hurt when you can predict what will happen next. I know you probably aren't talking about Hero Academia, but I'm just saying.

360pages

I wouldn't say Hero Academia skillfully executes its cliches, a story is hurt when you can predict what will happen next. I know you probably aren't talking about Hero Academia, but I'm just saying.

I don't know, at the same time it's okay to have some. You don't want to just have random shit happening like what happened near the end of Naruto and Bleach. Sure you can't predict what's happening, but there is also no logic.

A well done and told but predictable story, will always be better than an off the wall one that doesn't tell the story well. Even the most basic, Save the princess Story can be fun with good characters.

I don't know, at the same time it's okay to have some. You don't want to just have random shit happening like what happened near the end of Naruto and Bleach. Sure you can't predict what's happening, but there is also no logic.

A well done and told but predictable story, will always be better than an off the wall one that doesn't tell the story well. Even the most basic, Save the princess Story can be fun with good characters.

I thought Double Arts was a great example of this where most of its tropes are pretty fucking obvious but it added a new wrinkle to it that made the whole thing interesting imo.

Oh Double Arts

*pours 40*

Mecha

Sure, but thankfully it usually isn't one way or the other. Personally I would rather read a story with new concepts and ideas that isn't perfectly told than something told really well but feels like 10 other stories I have already experienced.

ryan13ts

Thanks for some of the recommendations guys. I think Tokyo Ghoul might be a good one from the little bit that I've read so far, will be looking into the other suggestions as well.

Busshi no Busshin - Kamakura Hanbun Busshiroku 01

MZo79GSl.png

A sculptor creates a statue to fight a raging god but loses causing him to fuse with the statue and now they awaken many many years later.

Well the first chapter had some pretty cool action. The premise is interesting though I would probably appreciate it more if I knew Buddhism more. But, will keep reading to see where this goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom