• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTS| Yeah I couldn't come up with a thread title ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big One

Banned
Kingdom is probably one of the most predictable manga I've ever read, but I still consider it to be one of the all time great manga and one of my favorites. Not sure what predictability has to do with quality.

As for My Hero Academia it isn't even three volumes length of material yet and it has as much of an identity as any other series did when they first started. Naruto wanted to be Hokage, Luffy wants to be Pirate King, and Deku wants to become the best superhero ever.

The only difference between the three is that Deku is a legit underdog and weakling, which makes the dynamic interesting. He inherited a power that pretty much breaks his arm everytime he uses it, so he definitely has to fight to obtain even a fraction of the power a lot of the other characters naturally have.

Plus there's a lot of mystery and holes in the series that needs to be filled, so there's plenty of wordbuilding to take place if the author wants to take it into a more fleshed out direction which I hope he does.

360pages

Kingdom is probably one of the most predictable manga I've ever read, but I still consider it to be one of the all time great manga and one of my favorites. Not sure what predictability has to do with quality.

As for My Hero Academia it isn't even three volumes length of material yet and it has as much of an identity as any other series did when they first started. Naruto wanted to be Hokage, Luffy wants to be Pirate King, and Deku wants to become the best superhero ever.

The only difference between the three is that Deku is a legit underdog and weakling, which makes the dynamic interesting. He inherited a power that pretty much breaks his arm everytime he uses it, so he definitely has to fight to obtain even a fraction of the power a lot of the other characters naturally have.

Plus there's a lot of mystery and holes in the series that needs to be filled, so there's plenty of wordbuilding to take place if the author wants to take it into a more fleshed out direction which I hope he does.

I think a good balanced of a hero is a middle of the road kind. Not the strongest in the story, but not the weakest. This forces to hero to use their abilities in unique ways to take out stronger foes without you questioning why he's on the team all the time.

So the Author of History's strongest disciple Kenichi has worked on 3 one-shots.

The first one is called Kanata.

WTF the MC looks like Kenichi. Anyways it seems it's about ninjas hmmmm.

UQ Holder 59

If Santa sacrifices his life for her, argh, hopefully Tota-niichan can do something to save him, and then get him to join UQ Holder. That final attack puts Santa on UQ Holder level anyway. He also really has nothing to gain at the school anymore either.

Im glad its getting longer chapter.

360pages

So Sasuke in part 2...Stabbed the woman that loved him and saved his life 5 times up to that point because she was captured and asking for help. Ditching two of his friends because they were no more use to him despite both of them risking their life for him when both could have easily ditched his ass like they did to him. (Kage Arc)

Of course he never actually has to pay for anything he did, hell her barely gets called out for it. Even then he just says (Oh sorry) and then everything is forgiven and he returns to being a little shit until the very end, ignoring two people who is there for help. (Saying they are useless so he doesn't even bother acknowledging them. Bonus points is the fact that both of them ending up saving his ass again) He does this all the way to the end. (War arc)

Now this is in line with his personality somewhat, and it makes sense for what he's been true. But it doesn't make it much better.

So Sasuke in part 2...Stabbed the woman that loved him and saved his life 5 times up to that point because she was captured and asking for help. Ditching two of his friends because they were no more use to him despite both of them risking their life for him when both could have easily ditched his ass like they did to him. (Kage Arc)

Of course he never actually has to pay for anything he did, hell her barely gets called out for it. Even then he just says (Oh sorry) and then everything is forgiven and he returns to being a little shit until the very end, ignoring two people who is there for help. (Saying they are useless so he doesn't even bother acknowledging them. Bonus points is the fact that both of them ending up saving his ass again) He does this all the way to the end. (War arc)

Now this is in line with his personality somewhat, and it makes sense for what he's been true. But it doesn't make it much better.

Sasuke is just shit. A Edgelord who doesn't try to acknowledge he's wrong till the very end. Kishi screwed up his character.

And to think, this was drawn years ago
hotvrK2.png

360pages

Sasuke is just shit.

He was actually pretty cool in part 1. Even if he was stock, he had reasons to be the way that he was and it actually felt like a struggle when Naruto failed to bring him back at the end of the retrieval arc.

Part 2 seemed to have ditched all his good points while pushing his brooding attitude to eleven. Pretty much causing him to become a parody of himself.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Is there a reason why it was axed, to me it seemed better than Nisekoi.

Blame the magazine's audience, they don't always have the best taste.

And to think, this was drawn years ago
hotvrK2.png

There's also this amazing nugget:

Which I have managed to trace back to a manga thread dating about 12/8/2012. Gonna go diving through that soon to try and find the true source of this grand mystery.

EDIT: Never mind, it goes back even further...

Bokura no Negai 11
tumblr_nfok5cXCeR1qbxqfpo1_500.png

tumblr_nfok5cXCeR1qbxqfpo2_500.png

Ah the way he says Yeah best non action panel. Im glad this pairing is showing some progress though slight.

The Kento and Take route is going great too, I love the height difference and then the younger taller one too makes it even better, as well as Kento being all blushing and what not at times. Hes perfect. Sweet ending scene.

Demon Possession 02

Hm, so this is your usual high school students with special powers (this time demon summoning) type of show. Eh, feels average average average.

kewlmyc

Magi 248
GODDAMN. I'm really liking this arc way more that I though I would. Consider me a fan of Judar now, considering I never liked him. Bring on more edgebros.

Yamada 136
Other than Odagiri, haven't been enjoying the latest chapters, but it seems like things are picking up now, so huzzah for that.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Rereading Onani Master Kurosawa.... damn, what a good manga. As I recall everyone in here likes it, right? Not Big One though, I think.

Man, what a manga.

dani_dc

Rereading Onani Master Kurosawa.... damn, what a good manga. As I recall everyone in here likes it, right? Not Big One though, I think.

Man, what a manga.

I think it was the first manga I read due to seeing people talking about it in mangaf. What a ride that was.

Need to reread it at some point.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

Man, what a manga.

GOAT, I would go on the manga subreddit and preach the good word of Onani Master Kurosawa before I find my new hub, ManGAF, with Dresden holding a gun to each of our heads.

VRMN

Boku to Kanojo no XXX 1-54
I have a knack for finding oddball series like this, it seems. Introverted guy has a crush on a rather tomboyish girl and due to a mishap from her mad scientist grandfather they wind up in each others' bodies. The girl adapts quite quickly to being a guy and is kind of a jerk, so much of the series to date has been him getting dumped on by the other characters who by and large don't seem to care for his opinions or feelings. Even the love interest is pretty mean to him en route to trying to flip the relationship from male friends to boyfriend/girlfriend. It's pretty obvious that this will end with him accepting a life in the girl's body permanently, but it's been a reasonably enjoyable ride, weirdly enough.

Bokukoi Conductor 1-15
It seems kind of weird that a 4koma has had this much plot in this short a span, but it's a cute little series. I just don't know how this keeps going for any length without getting stale. I guess I'll see.

Nakamura Koedo to Daizu Keisuke wa Umakuikanai 0-1
Reading the synopsis, it sounded like the series would be a lot of failed confessions...only she appears to succeed in chapter one, which was unexpected. So I guess it's going to be about an unlucky couple? Could be interesting.

Hayate no Gotoku! 474
Hata is such a troll that he uses his author avatar Aika (it seems that way sometimes, at least) to troll the main character by proxy. Will be interesting to see how he gets out of this one. He kind of has to because of the box the Can't Take My Eyes Off You anime has put him in. At least I think he does...it is Hata, so I can't think of many more amusing romantic outcomes than him taking a third (sixteenth) option with the newcomer.

Kin no Kanojo, Gin no Kanojo 1
Well. That's one way to retell the Lady of the Lake story.

Kizu no Honkai 1-4
The Real Nisekoi...for now anyway. Boy likes his teacher; girl likes her cousin, but the teacher and cousin got together, so boy and girl are licking their wounds by having a manufactured relationship. I don't see how this doesn't become them actually falling for each other, but it's definitely unhealthy as hell right now. Interesting, though.

Aizo

Banned
Nice to meet you guys, my name is upandaway. I hope to get along with everyone here! my favorite manga are transcendental functions and vector spaces.
Oh, panda.
The Suzuka-effect
Haha barf. That reminds me of my favorite post I've ever made in ManGAF. I just made a title for it, so panda (please, please, please) can draw a manga of it.

クレヴという裏切り者めの物語 (Krev to iu Uragirimonome no Monogatari)

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

Man, what a manga.

I like it. A lot. Probably one of the best coming of age story ever.
So much emotion reading it. I rarely cheer on character. Of course, when i read it, i also frequent another forum that did a reading with it. All the cheering and rage alongside make it more memorable i guess.

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind 1

I'm probably the only person here who started reading the original manga before watching the film.

That said, it's off to a good start. I'll be reading more of it tonight.

Usobuko

Banned

I'm probably the only person here who started reading the original manga before watching the film.

It's the same for me.

This is my favorite from Miyazaki. A fantasy world of many different interesting integrated cultures and without infusing modern world values and beliefs to it.

too fucked up not to tbh. aint namin it tho

i just wish he'd stick to physical disability stuff as he handles the subject matter really well and with a fair bit of tact :(

yea that one was cool and i though the last disability work he did before that was also alright (but he got better with the later one).

Pretty much, I guess it didn't move fast enough for the average JUMP reader. It just seemed to be taking off story wise just as it was cancelled.

the enemies seemed interesting especially when the big bad realized what the Mc could do and how its apparently similar to his "master" and it pissed him off. But yea its all on the readers if you sink or swim and it looks like they took the sad option

Man, what a manga.

It was good even if the shift in tone was completely crazy. I personally liked both halves (fap note then aftermath) equally though.

Sakura no Kimi

The most interesting part was the ending since it went against stories of this type tbh, especially given its one shot nature.

World Fight

Nice merger of two different styles of manga and being meta as fuck

Yugami-kun ni wa Tomodachi ga Inai 07

The best kind of problem solved for Yugami-kun is the problem where Yugami-kun doesn't have to do anything more.

I still haven't watched the film! And given the manga's quality, I don't know why I would.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom