• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best water, current gen.

nikos

DRIVECLUB, by far. Almost file like I'm actually going to get wet sometimes. GTA V looks great as well.

Lijik

Obligatory

BoQzLqdCYAAtmkJ.jpg

whenever i see water in a game i think of this guy now. Sailing around in AC Rogue left me constantly thinking "Has Mario WiiU seen this?? Look at this water, hed love this shit"

jonezer4

GTA5 gets my vote. Both the way it looks and moves is amazing.

This for sure. Screenshots don't quite do it justice because of the latter point.

SM3DWorld also has gorgeous water that perfectly rides the line between realistic and matching the art style.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I thought Ryse: Son of Rome had some nice water effects:

Gameplay (shitty off-screen is best I could find):

Cutscenes don't count. That is pre-rendered, often by folks not related to the devs. The in game is the standard texture of splash (top surface) plus sprite (vertical part). Very last gen.

Noobcraft

That GTAV pic is actually the Xbox One version, it's from the photo thread for it.

My vote for standing water goes to Watch Dogs. It looks really good.

My vote for rain goes to Driveclub but I don't think that's what this thread is talking about.

Wow. I have been so close to pulling the trigger on GTAV and between this shot and the new patch for controls (always my biggest complaint in a R* game) I think it might just happen tonight after work. Nephews will just have to get a 20 in their xmas cards instead of a 50.

Lmao.

VanWinkle

I'm impressed with most game's water effects this gen, except for, weirdly, Infamous Second Son, an otherwise fantastic looking game. The closest I've seen to perfection is the Uncharted 4 PSX demo. The interaction was incredibly realistic and it looked amazing as well. The waterfalls were astonishing also.

But yeah, there's a lot that's great. Watch Dogs, GTA 5, Battlefield 4, Dragon Age Inquisition, Kinect Sports Rivals, Driveclub, etc.

abracadaver

BF4, GTA V and Watch Dogs from what I have seen.

Maybe Far Cry 4 as well? Have not played it yet.

The water in Kinect Sports Rivals does not react to the boats at all. Impressive water for me has to have dynamic waves.

.Anema

Damn, GAF
Now I want to buy Watch Dogs, but I'm not into current gen at this time (I have WiiU and PS3).
I will add the water guy to my friend list in Miiverse haha.

Ebolarama

Banned
Dying light has some really good water effects. The effect they use for submerging is the best I've seen in a game, as a matter of fact, because I cannot remember ever seeing a game where you're able to see the actual "skin" of the water dividing the surface and underwater.

Dying light has some really good water effects. The effect they use for submerging is the best I've seen in a game, as a matter of fact, because I cannot remember ever seeing a game where you're able to see the actual "skin" of the water dividing the surface and underwater.
The water looks atrocious from a distance though.

Caayn

When it comes to realistic water I think that Watch Dogs holds that crown at the moment. Water looks great there.

When it comes to colourful water I think that Kinect Sports Rivals takes the crown.

i559cbIcuOws1.gif

Denton

Hydrophobia is old, indie and not nicest, but it is still most impressive water I have seen. So much fun.

Halo 3 in the Master Chief Collection.

Seriously.

edit: dammit this is an old thread and I already made the same post on the last page.

Nzyme32

DriveClub

hSRwvp6.jpg

Taken in-game using Photo Mode

Looks great but do you have a non-photo mode version? Already had a rant with a few people on this but photo mode ups the IQ and LOD enough to not be representative of actual game play. Genuinely curious what it looks like normally

VanWinkle

Looks great but do you have a non-photo mode version? Already had a rant with a few people on this but photo mode ups the IQ and LOD enough to not be representative of actual game play. Genuinely curious what it looks like normally

You can't see the cars that close up during gameplay.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Watch Dogs looks really impressive in screenshots, but when it's moving it looks downright odd. I'm only going off of the webms posted here--I haven't actually played the game. Look good, though.

Auctopus

It's GTA V by quite a way. As amazing as that pic is, it's even better in movement...

gtavdive_by_xbulletz-d6m6fpi.gif

The whitewash, the way the independent waves roll over each other, it's amazing.

hesido

Watch_Dogs has some nice water...

gq56g1D.jpg

This is the problem with game "water". You wouldn't have reflections with such good definition on a turbulent water like that. It has to be very, very still to have any well defined reflection.

Top Bottom