• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best water, current gen.

DriveClub

hSRwvp6.jpg

Taken in-game using Photo Mode

Yes, droplets and water on the windscreen are amazing. But when puddles on the road don't even splash much when you drive through them, I kind of was disappointed driving in the exterior view.

rashbeep

Banned
Those saying Driveclub are missing the point of the thread I think. I'd say Watch_Dogs has the best water I've seen so far even if it does look a little like jelly.

Sanctuary

Not sure if we're supposed to be going for "most realistic" water effects or what, but the waves in the Storm Coast (Dragon Age: Inquisition) look really, really good.

Driveclub new weather update recently released is the best water i have seen so far on this current gen but i also like GTA V and Watchdogs has good water too.

Watch Dogs water is nice, but it's pretty static compared to the sea in GTAV.

Also I would say Drive Club has the best "weather", but it doesn't really have water in the traditional sense.

Qassim

Dropbox links at NeoGAF are a big "no no" since they tend to die or be very slow.

For example, pomf is a good host for WebM's.

Here's your clip mirrored: http://a.pomf.se/myqkes.webm

Yeah, I'd rather not use Dropbox- the problem is that pomf.se sometimes just isn't available, like when I starting hosting these on Dropbox again, they were in the middle of moving.

I've yet to hit any bandwidth limits on Dropbox yet by posting to NeoGAF - whereas pomf.se links eventually expire - the file is deleted, or whatever, but I've had some of my game webms deleted in the past. For example, the Watch_Dogs one I posted above was hosted here:

http://a.pomf.se/eddhzk.webm

Gone.

Scrabble

Crysis 1 easily has the best water I've seen. The way light filters through the water depending if you're out in the ocean or in an inland lake is impressive. It even reacts realistically to objects. Watch Dogs's water may look pretty on the surface, but it breaks down when you get close and actually interact with it.

That would be the difference between a lake and an ocean.

It's not just that. If I remember correctly, WD is just lacking a real water simulation despite having this "wind system". It has these tiny waves, but they all look and behave the same.
GTA is on another level.

Top Bottom