• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall has nearly 8m unique players, sequel will not be exclusive to any platform

Raide

why make a sequel at this point? why not a new ip? change the setting up a bit..

It is a new IP. They could change plenty. I just hope they don't give in to people moaning about having no Singleplayer. I really want them to explore how to do the MP and SP mix correctly.

It's not "spin talk." According to Respawn, EA doesnt share sales figures publically anymore. This is a decent substitute given the situation.

And let's not act like this is anything new. Was Activision also just "blowing smoke up people's asses" to make it look like Destiny had killer sales when they announced 9 million unique users for Destiny?

Yes, absolutely.

Titanfall 2 for PS4 confirmed. In other news: sky is blue.

Hate to burst your bubble, or any others that believe this is coming to PS4 but non exclusivity to any platform doesn't necessarily mean it'll come to PS4. It could also additionally come out to iOS, Android and 3DS. Heck, Titanfall wasn't even exclusive... Remember? It came out to PC.

inb4 pc is a microsoft platform

Are they saying that they sold 8 million copies? Because I find that very hard to believe.

Sounds like they are counting people that played timed demos as well.

Moneal

Are they saying that they sold 8 million copies? Because I find that very hard to believe.

Sounds like they are counting people that played timed demos as well.

no they are saying 8 million unique accounts, whether it was an origin account or live account, that played the game. this would include the people that played it when EA had it free for 48 hrs on origin.

Yoda

Tbh I really liked the parkour in this game. It's a shame the meta game wasn't properly fleshed out as it could have had some decent legs (despite being on origin).

I reinstalled the pc version recently and tried to get a game of hard point going and after a couple of days of trying I uninstalled.

iclash

Hate to burst your bubble, or any others that believe this is coming to PS4 but non exclusivity to any platform doesn't necessarily mean it'll come to PS4. It could also additionally come out to iOS, Android and 3DS. Heck, Titanfall wasn't even exclusive... Remember? It came out to PC.

I'm sure it will come out to platforms like the PS4. Titanfall didn't do well enough for Microsoft, it wasn't a significant system mover. EA and Respawn would be crazy to limit the sales to one console platform, MS would have to throw truckloads of money their way to make it exclusive again, and I don't see it being worth it to MS.

That seems extraordinarily high considering the NPD numbers.

Must have been a ton of bundles? I can't imagine it saw amazing international sales.
Wasn't the full game with all DLC, like, $13 on XBLM for a short while? I meant to pick it up again as I didn't buy the season pass in the first place but completely forgot to do so before it went back up to full price.

I wonder how many other people were in my position where they had bought the game at full price without the season pass, maybe bought one DLC pack and then decided to just rebuy the whole game with all DLC since it was cheaper to do that than to buy the remaining DLC separately.

But then numbers of "unique players" wouldn't be inflated by that scenario so maybe not...

So many misinformed views here, relating to the development of this game.

The OP should link to http://www.finalhoursoftitanfall.com/ and every gamer should buy it. It is an excellent read and insight into game development in general, and some of the challenges this game faced from the offset.

Anyway, 8m unique players, even across multiple platforms, is a great achievement for a brand new online only IP like this.

Destiny, as of November, had 9.5m. That is without the PC of course, but it does have the PS4 and PS3. And, dat marketing budget.

Destiny maybe deemed a bit of a critical "flop", commercially though it has done incredibly well. Bungie, an established developer with a great track record of an FPS, was always going to bring in the pre-orders. It was also Sony taking MS's darling Bungie, the Halo creators. That creates hype.

While the people at Respawn certainly have the track record, the development 'brand' was new.They also had a team likely 1/4 of the Size when compared to Bungie (if not much smaller).

And yet, Titanfall is critically considered a great game, outscoring Destiny pretty much across the board. That was how it was reviewed back in March too, before additional content was added.

People call out things like "Titanflop", I mean, come on. I think Respawn are genuinely delighted with what they have created here, on a critical and commercial level, and I very much look forward to a sequel.

You're quite the mental gymnast.

Titanfall 2 will be on PS4. Bank on it.

biteren

i love Titanfall and it makes me happy its gonna come to PS4! (to no ones surprise but my own)

i wonder if Respawn will include some sort of compesation for PS4 like a few levels from part 1.

I think we announced 7 million [entitlements – or unique players] a month ago or so or whatever...We're obviously still selling so we are closing in on 8 million now.

Pretty nonchalant way of talking about an 8-month old game selling a million in a month. Does COD do that 8 months after release?

TomShoe

Banned
So many misinformed views here, relating to the development of this game.

The OP should link to http://www.finalhoursoftitanfall.com/ and every gamer should buy it. It is an excellent read and insight into game development in general, and some of the challenges this game faced from the offset.

Let me save everyone a few bucks and pull up this post I had 6 months ago summing it all up:

TomShoe said:
IIRC:

- Respawn signs with EA Partners, gets a set budget for the game
- Game development begins
- Jason West leaves
- Development continues 2-3 years
- Respawn burned through their budget with almost nothing to show for it
- EA would cancel the game unless outside funding arrived to lower risk
- MS stepped up in exchange for 1 year timed exclusivity
- Game continues development
- Disastrous Xbox One reveal
- Many gamers saying they'll wait for it to come to PS4
- MS pays EA an undisclosed amount for full exclusivity
- Internet rage en masse
- Internet hyping en masse
- Game comes out
- Falls off the face of the earth due to matchmaking and lack of content
- Titanfall 2 (probably) coming to PS4
- The wait begins

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

biteren

... Compensation?

asking too much?

well PS4 missed out on some Titanfall action due to that sudden MS deal, maybe have atleast ps exclusive skins?

or i should just be glad its even happening and dont say anything?

im sure my request wasnt unreasonable.

Chris1

yeah right! the creators of call of duty wouldnt have help without microsoft lol
EA said they weren't funding the game any more, so MS stepped in with cash to get the game finished. You can post sarcastic responses all you want but it's not going to change the truth. Without MS there would be no Titanfall.

FATALITY

Banned
EA said they weren't funding the game any more, so MS stepped in with cash to get the game finished. You can post sarcastic responses all you want but it's not going to change the truth. Without MS there would be no Titanfall.

why took them months to announce the exclusivity? and why EA published the game not MS?

Those quotes aren't saying that a sequel won't be exclusive. They're saying the current deal with Microsoft is only for the first game and the sequel will not necessarily be an exclusive.

The sequel will totally not be exclusive, though.

EGM1966

I believe the game was pretty successful and u get they want to keep IP mentioned but without knowing how they're counting this metric its kind of meaningless. In particular are they counting people like me who created account to play for free for 48 hours? I suspect they are which completely muddies the waters.

Chris1

why took them months to announce the exclusivity? and why EA published the game not MS?
It was always timed exclusive from the minute it was announced, MS just locked up perm after seeing the hype and I guess to shut up all the insiders saying timed.

Pretty nonchalant way of talking about an 8-month old game selling a million in a month. Does COD do that 8 months after release?

It would be impressive, but they're not talking about sales; they're talking about the number of people who've played it. That likely includes trials, rentals, borrowing from friends, alt accounts, etc.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Titanfall seems cool. With the sequel going to all platforms I hope they can be given a bigger budget to flesh it out some fast paced multi FPS + mechs and parkour elements is a really cool idea after all.

yurinka

It's kinda fun to see Titanfall and Destiny announcing 'unique players' instead of units sold. Clearly they do it to make sound second hand / rent players as units sold and make their numbers sound more important.

Btw Respawn, I basically prefer to play single player campaign, so please add a proper SP story campaign through DLC or for Titanfall 2.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Best multiplayer game I've ever played. Can only imagine how much better it could have been with more time and resources.

Id be surprised if Microsoft didn't lock the sequel down.

If the game actually had great sales, then Respawn would have announced those numbers, not unique players. I'm thinking a lot of people bought the game secondhand and it only sold 2-3 million total across 360/X1/PC. 2-3 million is not that impressive these days for a heavily marketed AAA game.

I also suspect that most of those 8m players only played the game once or twice and then shelved it.

Chris1

If the game actually had great sales, then Respawn would have announced those numbers, not unique players. I'm thinking a lot of people bought the game secondhand and it only sold 2-3 million total across 360/X1/PC. 2-3 million is not that impressive these days for a heavily marketed AAA game.

I also suspect that most of those 8m players only played the game once or twice and then shelved it.
Respawn want to share the sales numbers, which they have said on this very forum that they are happy with, it's just that they can't. It's not up to them it's up to EA, and EA don't publicly post the sales numbers of any of their games any more, not just Titanfall.

Best multiplayer game I've ever played. Can only imagine how much better it could have been with more time and resources.

Id be surprised if Microsoft didn't lock the sequel down.

I can see them trying, Titanfall 1 was excellent and going by the support TF1 got, TF2 is going to be even better. MS would be silly to at least not try and get it locked down, if Halo5 turns out to be another Halo4 with a huge drop off in player numbers they'll probably try even harder. But I'm not sure if they will succeed.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
An Xbox One exclusive goes and moves 8 mil units. No wonder they jumped at the chance to focus their efforts on one next-gen platform. I wouldn't be surprised if they stick to this sweet deal they got going with Microsoft for another iteration, at this rate. Simply incredible.

Top Bottom