• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Genesis/MegaDrive Appreciation Thread: Alien Storm > Golden Axe

Lettuce

So on the whole are PAL releases of games said to be more desirable than the NTSC releases? Im looking at my collection now and the Red spine's of the Genesis games are annoying me!. I may have to swap them out for the PAL versions......this could be expensive

Khaz

So on the whole are PAL releases of games said to be more desirable than the NTSC releases? Im looking at my collection now and the Red spine's of the Genesis games are annoying me!. I may have to swap them out for the PAL versions......this could be expensive

Many are the same thing with different artwork, especially in the early years. http://datomatic.no-intro.org lists the ROM variations of games, but even a game marked as (Europe) may work in your American console. Ultimately you'll have to test it in an emulator and fiddling with the various region settings to know if a European edition is worth owning. Some region-locks can be bypassed by flicking the switch at the right time.

I'm using an Everdrive in a region-modded Megadrive to check which edition of a game I really want, that's how I understood I'd have to get the American edition of Aladdin and the Story of Thor. Everything else I get the European edition because it's cheaper for me, or the Japanese edition when there is no language barrier in game.

Lettuce

Many are the same thing with different artwork, especially in the early years. http://datomatic.no-intro.org lists the ROM variations of games, but even a game marked as (Europe) may work in your American console. Ultimately you'll have to test it in an emulator and fiddling with the various region settings to know if a European edition is worth owning. Some region-locks can be bypassed by flicking the switch at the right time.

I'm using an Everdrive in a region-modded Megadrive to check which edition of a game I really want, that's how I understood I'd have to get the American edition of Aladdin and the Story of Thor. Everything else I get the European edition because it's cheaper for me, or the Japanese edition when there is no language barrier in game.

Whats different about the US versions of Aladdin and Story of thor?

galvatron

Finally beat Adventures of Batman and Robin.

Obligatory link to the game's amazing Acid House OST:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXfX4B3v9SM&list=PLA9D5DD7C356A0556

One of the best 16 bit game soundtracks that's for sure. Aesthetically it reminded me a lot of Treasure, particularly Gunstar Heroes and Alien Soldier and also Konami's Contra Hard Corps. The gameplay is great, it's a Run 'N Gun not too dissimilar to Batman Return of the Joker on NES. Only problem I have with it is that it feels like all of your weapons are too weak even if you've powered them up to max. You also have a jump kick (which acts as a double jump) and a melee attack when you're close but even those don't seem to do enough damage.

Still, truly epic stages and boss fights. The boss fight with Mad Hater was absolutely insane.

I wouldn't call Batman: Return of the Joker a run n' gun...

Also, weak weapons?! Did you figure out how power-ups work and that blue is absolute garbage? Do you stop shooting to let your initial shot charge up when there's nothing to kill? When I play through I usually have to stop shooting mad hatter so that I can let him live long enough to give a 1-up from the white rabbit.

Melee attacks were sufficient for me since I mainly used them for the push back on charging enemies or to land decent damage while my shot meter recharges.

Congrats on the finish. One of my favorites on the system.

I can't even beat Harley.

Yes, that's the first boss at the end of the first area of the first level. I'm that bad at the game!

Everyone starts there...just gotta learn the patterns and what you can do about them. Jump kick is pretty essential to me for changing sides and not getting hit when she hops around.

Really, go with green Batarangs? I thought red would be okay, since it eventually evolves into a spread gun. At least I figured out blue ones weren't terribly worthwhile...

They're optimized for 60Hz. The PAL versions are optimized for 50Hz.

galvatron

Really, go with green Batarangs? I thought red would be okay, since it eventually evolves into a spread gun. At least I figured out blue ones weren't terribly worthwhile...

They're optimized for 60Hz. The PAL versions are optimized for 50Hz.

I usually stay with red until max power then switch to green. Easier to spot the progression of power with the red batarangs changing shape and firing pattern with each power up. I also intentionally miss one powerup since I want the full spread for a section after that first boss you mentioned. Getting that extra powerup leave me with 2 bigger batarangs that shoot out at 45 degrees from the gun in that section.

ElTopo

Banned
I wouldn't call Batman: Return of the Joker a run n' gun...

Also, weak weapons?! Did you figure out how power-ups work and that blue is absolute garbage? Do you stop shooting to let your initial shot charge up when there's nothing to kill? When I play through I usually have to stop shooting mad hatter so that I can let him live long enough to give a 1-up from the white rabbit.

Melee attacks were sufficient for me since I mainly used them for the push back on charging enemies or to land decent damage while my shot meter recharges.

Congrats on the finish. One of my favorites on the system.

83149-batman-return-of-the-joker-nes-screenshot-batman-shooting-wildly.png

Yeah, clearly not a Run 'N Gun because... Reasons. Right? I mean, just because a character has a gun killing enemies and is jumping on platforms and there's even Shmup levels doesn't automatically make a game a Run 'N Gun, right?

SMH

Sorry, that's just some very questionable logic.

Sure, you can charge your weapon to kill enemies a bit quicker but it takes too long to do that when you're getting mobbed. It's very impressive that the game suffers no slowdown (at least on single player) with the amount of enemies and crazy shit on the screen but at times there's just too many enemies.

Honestly, the Bolo's (Green weapon power up) is the way to go. I noticed I did a lot more damage to bosses and the bigger enemies with Bolo's versus other weapons. The other weapons aren't terribly great until you've fully upgraded them and even then they don't do as much damage to bosses. Bolo's when fully upgraded have a nice big hitbox that compensates for not having double or triple fire with the other weapons.

Also, I just beat the game again after taking a break from that long-ass overhead shmup level (and yes I save stated after beating that level, and no I don't save state to victory). I would definitely put this in my top 20 for Genesis titles.

Finally beat Adventures of Batman and Robin.

Obligatory link to the game's amazing Acid House OST:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXfX4B3v9SM&list=PLA9D5DD7C356A0556

One of the best 16 bit game soundtracks that's for sure. Aesthetically it reminded me a lot of Treasure, particularly Gunstar Heroes and Alien Soldier and also Konami's Contra Hard Corps. The gameplay is great, it's a Run 'N Gun not too dissimilar to Batman Return of the Joker on NES. Only problem I have with it is that it feels like all of your weapons are too weak even if you've powered them up to max. You also have a jump kick (which acts as a double jump) and a melee attack when you're close but even those don't seem to do enough damage.

Still, truly epic stages and boss fights. The boss fight with Mad Hater was absolutely insane.

Outstanding! I will beat this game, it seems doable and every time I pick it up a get a little further. The OST is definitely one of the reasons I keep going back.

Edit: Oh! You used save states? Meh

@MUWANdo

Banned
Dynamite Batman is not a run-and-gun, sorry dude.

Adventures of Batman & Robin suffers from a lot of same problems as every other euro action game: there's no "oomph" to any of your projectiles, many enemies take too long to kill even with maxed weapons and a lot of the levels are terribly paced and will repeat the same shit eight hundred times in a row for no reason. The shmup levels, the batplane level(s?) in particular, are tedious beyond belief and whenever I replay the game I just cheat past them because I can't stand to waste any more of my life on them.

It's definitely worth playing and it deserves all the praise it gets for its music, graphics, technical wizardry, etc but I await the the day that someone hacks out all the filler and turns it into something closer to a true arcade-style action game.

lazygecko

I don't know why people claim that Batman & Robin is so insanely difficult. I find the game to be much more forgiving than Gunstar Heroes which it obviously takes a great deal of inspiration, yet B&R recieves the disproportionate amount of difficulty comments.

@MUWANdo

Banned
AoB&R is a memorisation-heavy game and, as has been mentioned, if you don't have a maxed out weapon and/or don't make use of the charge shot or melee attacks it's very easy to get swamped by enemies that take forever to kill. I don't think it's especially tough once you've learned the stages but it can definitely be a pain in the arse to learn 'em.

ElTopo

Banned
I don't know why people claim that Batman & Robin is so insanely difficult. I find the game to be much more forgiving than Gunstar Heroes which it obviously takes a great deal of inspiration, yet B&R recieves the disproportionate amount of difficulty comments.

I'd say Gunstar is easier just because it has infinite continues. But Adventures of Batman and Robin isn't too hard. There's some parts that are frustrating but once you know the pattern it's not too bad like every other game.

Thoughts on Chakan? It's next in my backlog!

It has a cool concept but I really hated that game. The sprites are too dark (even for the Genesis) and are pretty ugly and the game loves to throw plenty of small flying enemies who come at you from weird angles and are difficult to hit.

IrishNinja

Thoughts on Chakan? It's next in my backlog!

i only spent a few hours with it, but i dug my time there...someone on her said it's a great example of a game that'd really be good/shown more love if it was just a bit more balanced. there's parts that are cool atmosphere/design but man it feels unforgiving sometimes

@MUWANdo

Banned
This has nothing to do with the game, but the guy who owns the Chakan IP is a bit of a nutcase and has made a bunch of terribly amateurish movies based on Chakan and other games, including an unlicensed Wonder Boy movie with a cameo by Uwe Boll.

Teknoman

Valis 3: PC engine CD or Genesis?

I know the Genesis game looks better with all the parallax, but...is the CD soundtrack that much better than the Genesis?

galvatron

83149-batman-return-of-the-joker-nes-screenshot-batman-shooting-wildly.png

Yeah, clearly not a Run 'N Gun because... Reasons. Right? I mean, just because a character has a gun killing enemies and is jumping on platforms and there's even Shmup levels doesn't automatically make a game a Run 'N Gun, right?

SMH

Sorry, that's just some very questionable logic.

Dynamite Batman is not a run-and-gun, sorry dude.
What he said.

I like both of those games, but I feel like Batman: Return of the Joker is better described as an action platformer due to pacing. Flashback has you using a gun and a run button, but I wouldn't call it a run and gun, either. No need to get bent out of shape over sub-genre classifications...

Sure, you can charge your weapon to kill enemies a bit quicker but it takes too long to do that when you're getting mobbed. It's very impressive that the game suffers no slowdown (at least on single player) with the amount of enemies and crazy shit on the screen but at times there's just too many enemies.

You don't time your one charged green shot so it tears through multiple enemies? I feel like we approach this one pretty differently...If there's not someone near me, I charge my shot by not pressing attack. There's even a powerup to make you charge faster to underscore how important that first shot actually is. If I still need to attack after my first shot either followup shots from holding down the button get it done or a punch or jumpkick here and there keeps me safe in most cases.

Since jump kicks use the jump button, is that what's allowing me to feel like my charge is ready often enough? Been a while since I've played this one.

The game DOES have a harsh penalty for dying in terms of the firepower you lose, so maybe that's part of it, too? Freeze takes a bit long to kill, though...

Outstanding! I will beat this game, it seems doable and every time I pick it up a get a little further. The OST is definitely one of the reasons I keep going back.

I didn't...took about a week of dedicated practice after getting acquainted with the game more casually. I would just play once a night, burn all of my continues, then try again the next day. I finished it on original hardware that was JAMMA-modded and did 1 credit clears every time I've finished it. It is much harder than Gunstar Heroes, as others have said.

IrishNinja

This has nothing to do with the game, but the guy who owns the Chakan IP is a bit of a nutcase and has made a bunch of terribly amateurish movies based on Chakan and other games, including an unlicensed Wonder Boy movie with a cameo by Uwe Boll.

really? almost kinda wanna see this

@MUWANdo

Banned
really? almost kinda wanna see this

A guy I know bought the DVD on a lark... surprise, it's awful! I don't know if it's online anywhere but "robin morningstar wonder boy" oughta show you a few things.

IIRC, the story behind the movie is that Uwe Boll was working on an officially-licensed Wonder Boy movie at some point, and when he lost the license his scriptwriter decided he couldn't let his masterwork go unfilmed so he ran off and made it himself.

Mzo

Batman and Robin is way harder, this is crazy talk. You can die easier, your weapons are more difficult to power up, keep, and regain should you ever lose, and the levels go on FOREVER, deep into hypnotic lull territory.

It's not impossible like some exaggerators claim, but Gunstar on Hard is a walk in the park compared.

I dunno, guys, Dynamite Batman is pretty run and gun... and clunky and weird.

ElTopo

Banned
Batman and Robin is way harder, this is crazy talk. You can die easier, your weapons are more difficult to power up, keep, and regain should you ever lose, and the levels go on FOREVER, deep into hypnotic lull territory.

It's not impossible like some exaggerators claim, but Gunstar on Hard is a walk in the park compared.

I dunno, guys, Dynamite Batman is pretty run and gun... and clunky and weird.

Coincidentally I did recently beat Gunstar on hard and never used the Homing and Lighting weapon combination (AKA Easy Mode). Like I said earlier, Gunstar is easier just because it has infinite continues and fairly generous check points.

As an aside, as much as I love Run 'N Gun games I suck horribly at Alien Soldier. I just can't get into the groove for it even though it is a good game and I don't hate it or anything. I even watched a No-Death Run LP to get better and I still can't do it. I just don't revisit it as much as other Run 'N Gun titles.

Actually I saved after the Shmup level that goes on for 20 minutes. And resumed playing the next day. I didn't use save states to win.

manualmartin

Neo Member
For collectors the book Slayer of the Big Grey Box is a recommendation. This guide is more than a checklist, it covers the 538 PAL games on Mega Drive and also contains a lot of information on variations. Sneak peak through a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbqPJyLTfPE

The author ships it international, he also published my book, a 400 page slab on the history of Sega, but from a Swedish perspective and in Swedish. So probably not of that big interest for anyone outside Sweden, but Google it if you're Swedish. It's called Historien om Sega: Hur en blå igelkott och hockeyspel tog Sverige med storm.

Khaz

Aladdin is badly optimised for PAL: gameplay is still 20% slower, with (coloured) borders, music is at the correct tempo. Played in a 60Hz console, the gameplay and borders are corrected but the music is played too fast.

Story of Thor is worse: gameplay is 20% slower, borders are coloured, music is too slow. When played in a 60Hz console, the screen keeps rolling and the game is rendered unplayable.

Mind you it's just two examples of bad optimisations, there are more out there.
But for at least these two games, having the American edition is essential if you want to play them at 60Hz.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Valis 3: PC engine CD or Genesis?

I know the Genesis game looks better with all the parallax, but...is the CD soundtrack that much better than the Genesis?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zJoRvwnnX0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR90eu7i1Xg

I think the PC Engine also has levels that the Genesis version doesn't?

One thing that the Genesis version has going for it is that it's not terribly expensive right now, even though it's fairly uncommon. If Mike Matei did a video on it it would probably skyrocket like Elemental Master did. -_-

Teknoman

One thing that the Genesis version has going for it is that it's not terribly expensive right now, even though it's fairly uncommon. If Mike Matei did a video on it it would probably skyrocket like Elemental Master did. -_-

Elemental Master has a video and skyrocketed? I havent checked prices for recommends in awhile (glad I got in complete if thats the case).

EDIT: Damn, it is up there now. I mean its still worth it, but wow. When was the video released? Surprised Plok hasnt gone up lol.

Thanks for the comparisons though. The PC engine version isnt that much more expensive atm, so I think i'll go with that at some point.

pmj

So my PAL copy of Ghouls 'n Ghosts has a thin and somewhat flexible see-through hanger on it, which is something I haven't seen before.

Pictures of boxes I've found don't look like this; they look like regular boxes. Do I have a bootleg box or were some games sold this way?

Sorry, no pic, my camera is a potato.

Teknoman

So my PAL copy of Ghouls 'n Ghosts has a thin and somewhat flexible see-through hanger on it, which is something I haven't seen before.

Pictures of boxes I've found don't look like this; they look like regular boxes. Do I have a bootleg box or were some games sold this way?

Sorry, no pic, my camera is a potato.

You mean a hangtab?

pmj

You mean a hangtab?

Yes. Instead of the hangtab being a part that extends from main black box, it's a semi-translucent piece that I think is glued to the sheet of plastic holding the box art in place.

I tried to get my shitty phone to cooperate so that I can provide a picture, but I just can't.

Teknoman

Yes. Instead of the hangtab being a part that extends from main black box, it's a semi-translucent piece that I think is glued to the sheet of plastic holding the box art in place.

I tried to get my shitty phone to cooperate so that I can provide a picture, but I just can't.

So its sorta like a clear plastic replacement hang tab? Maybe the previous broke off, or at some point Sega stopped molding cases with the actual tab extension?

pmj

So its sorta like a clear plastic replacement hang tab? Maybe the previous broke off, or at some point Sega stopped molding cases with the actual tab extension?

Maybe! All I know is it never had a regular tab, as the box shows no signs of anything being cut off. It looks just like a Japanese box that way. In fact, checking the only two Japanese games I have, the box is identical inside and out to the Marvel Land box, aside from it not having the Namcot text inside.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So just got Beyond Oasis, had no idea it was 30 fps (menus and text are 60 though?), so that feels kinda strange. Really good looking game though, kinda strange to hear Streets of Rage style effects in an action RPG, but thats to be expected.
I'm discovering this more and more in unexpected retro games.

Chakan, Streets of Rage 1, Beyond Oasis, and a number of others.

Same deal on other systems, of course. That awful Turtles games on the NES, for instance, isn't even 30 fps most of the time. It's insanely choppy which is not something I remembered.

Holy shit, really? Gunstar Heroes is way way way easier for me. Batman & Robin has such long levels and just spams you constantly with enemies. I have trouble even clearing the first stage on my own.

I seem to recall the Genesis version's difficulty was balanced better. I have the TG-16 version, I wouldn't mind picking up the Genny version at some point.

I just recently picked up Altered Beast and played through it. As a kid I never got the appeal, it just seemed so stiff and the atmosphere and color palette kind of creeped me out. But I have to say I've come around on it. I finally figured out the strategy to beat the fourth boss with the tiger form and actually breezed through the final level. Never realized the game was so short, either.

baphomet

Picked up a non-TMSS Genesis 1 earlier for really cheap and decided to mess with it a bit. Added a region switch, cut the composite pin to help with any jailbars, and wired up a scart cable to accept stereo out through the normal av jack. Did that by replacing the composite video pin with the 2nd audio signal.

Thinking this may replace my mega amp modded genesis 2 I have been using as my main genesis. Looks and sounds great for sure.

BTails

So, if anyone remembers a few weeks ago I was complaining about a faulty Shining Force I had bought: well, I was able to get it replaced!

Working fine now, and the cart is in better shape! So double win. Time to play Shining in the Darkness first then onto SF.

Teknoman

So, if anyone remembers a few weeks ago I was complaining about a faulty Shining Force I had bought: well, I was able to get it replaced!

Working fine now, and the cart is in better shape! So double win. Time to play Shining in the Darkness first then onto SF.

Congrats! Also glad to see i'm not the only one trying to play franchises in their release order.

On that note, Advanced Dungeons and Dragons Sega CD, I know its composed by Yuzo...which makes me want the game anyway, and I like first person dungeon crawlers...but is it actually good? If so, is it better to have the Sega mouse?

Top Bottom