• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT2| Created by Unstable Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple very good rogue decks have become popular lately, relatively speaking.

I've been rocking with rogue lately, there's nothing more fun than clearing your opponents board with a 7+ dmg blade flurry :D. Tinker's sharpsword and autobarber have made it much more viable.

The only reason I've had a lot of success with it though is because a lot of people simply just don't use oozes. I had one game against a control priest where I buffed my blade to 10 dmg and the guy couldn't stop it :p

johnsmith

remember me
Nothing worse than going 6-0 then getting wrecked 3 times in a row. 2nd time this has happened this week. hate this game so much. /salt

I've been playing a non-miracle rogue and been enjoying it, but it's pathetic against face-hunters. Unless you get both backstabs right off the bat undertaker will have you to like 16 hp by turn 3.

Sharpsword Oil is one of my favorite cards though. So much swing potential.

Lately mages have been driving me up a wall. I have two golden Kezan Mystics I might start playing just to counter the super annoying secret decks. Actually I think if I made a deck that was made to counter secrets I would auto-win like 40% of games because of how many hunters and mages I'm facing.

manhack

Lately mages have been driving me up a wall. I have two golden Kezan Mystics I might start playing just to counter the super annoying secret decks. Actually I think if I made a deck that was made to counter secrets I would auto-win like 40% of games because of how many hunters and mages I'm facing.

Yeah I'll take double Kill Command to the face any day over getting all my minions frozen, doomsayered for 8 turns (even after I kill/silence at least 1 of the doomsayers and then turn 9 alexstrazsa, turn 10 Fireball, Fireball, Frost bolt.

Kezan Mystic is OK in this sort of situation but I think even more you need a Loatheb to shut them out, but even those are not guaranteed. The benefit is Loatheb is useful in almost all other matchups.

I tried Kezan with a druid deck because I felt it could afford to have a "dead" card and it seemed to work OK, but most decks can't afford to have a tech card like that unless you are really seeing a lot of secrets.

Stoze

Been playing this off and on for a month, just recently caved in and bought Naxx instead of spending 700 gold for a wing. 25$ is pretty overpriced for it, but it was well designed and fun while it lasted so I'm not regretful about it. I think 3500 gold for the whole deal is pretty much a non-option for newbies who don't play more than 10-15 games everyday, and want to actually experience playing arena and buying an occasional pack. (a.k.a me)

Right now I'm struggling in arena, I'm simply not good at constructing decks. I've read a couple helpful guides for picking cards, but it's still not working out for me. I was shit at creating decks in MtG too.

Guess I just need more practice. I'm also in that funk where I've played and studied the game enough to recognize common strategies and the class cards for everyone, but not enough to remember them all which leads to some awkward decision making on my part.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The problem with the "unless you go to fatigue" argument is that it assumes there is no synergy between the cards in your deck. As the simplest example, losing an acolyte of pain is a pretty big deal if it is your only card draw.

You still might not get to fatigue, but you also probably will not get the cards out that you needed or be able to pull off a combo.

But unless you do go to fatigue, that's pretty much the same thing as if it was the last card in your deck.

If Gnomish Inventory drew a card for the opponent and turned it into a chicken then I would play it on both of my Mill/Fatigue decks. Considering most of the matches on Ladder are played against rushdown/aggro decks with a ton of minion count, this card would be insane in those types of decks as it would almost always guaranteed a free Polymorph.

It's not even close to the same thing as a free polymorph. Your opponent never played the card that turned into a chicken, so you don't get the tempo advantage from Polymorph. It's more like a card that gives your opponent a spare part. Why would you want to give your opponent a spare part as an aggro deck? You wouldn't! So then it's just a way overcosted 3/2 that gives your opponent a spare part. BARF.

ZealousD

But if Acolyte of Pain is your only card draw and it's the last card in your deck, you would also lose.

And in any other case where it wouldn't chicken the Acolyte, it would get your opponent one turn closer to drawing an Acolyte. So it evens out over time.

JohnCYQ

Speaking of rogues, Neirea is streaming one of those double prep/sprint decks with some unusual card choices.

http://www.twitch.tv/neirea

Edit: screenshot from the stream since he is going off soon.
MD1Ps4R.jpg

Seems to work quite well.

Apparently EU has a lot of miracle rogues still going strong in legend according to Neirea, really interesting to know.

johnsmith

remember me
Speaking of rogues, Neirea is streaming one of those double prep/sprint decks with some unusual card choices.

http://www.twitch.tv/neirea

1x southsea deckhand
1x earthen ring farseer
1x bgh
1x violet teacher
1x sludge belcher

Seems to work quite well lol.

Apparently EU has a lot of miracle rogues still going strong in legend according to Neirea, really interesting.

All of those cards have seen common play in miracle builds before except for BGH, and BGH is in every deck now thanks to the doctor.

Miletius

Priest draft, went 11-1. Knew it was going to be good when the first choice was Ysera, Dr. Boom or trash legendary.

Picked Dr. Boom, even though Value said pick Ysera. I think I know the reasoning, but Dr. Boom seems much more tempo oriented than Ysera, so I went against the recommendation.

zoukka

Priest draft, went 11-1. Knew it was going to be good when the first choice was Ysera, Dr. Boom or trash legendary.

Picked Dr. Boom, even though Value said pick Ysera. I think I know the reasoning, but Dr. Boom seems much more tempo oriented than Ysera, so I went against the recommendation.

Dr. Boom is 10x better in arena where you don't necessarily live to turn 9.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Tried Arena with a somewhat shitty priest deck. Managed to get five wins and got 120 gold with a GvG pack. I consider that a worthwhile investment.

mxgt

Banned
Gotta love BM backfires. Playing handlock on ladder and a Mage gives me 'well played', double fireballs and pings my face down to 1. I Jaraxxus and win 3 turns later, roping every time just to rub it in.

Did 9-3 in Arena with a priest deck with Lightbomb and Deathwing. Won every game using at least one of those. Both are pretty strong in Arena, didn't expect Lightbomb to be very useful.
Also had Abomination and Explosive Sheep, so I had a ridiculous amount of board clear.

Did 9-3 in Arena with a priest deck with Lightbomb and Deathwing. Won every game using at least one of those.

I got a priest draft going atm and my last pick is deathwing, sneed, or some trash. I'm thinking sneed, but is deathwing a better choice?

Never gotten any of those two in arena before so not really sure how to rate them.

I got a priest draft going atm and my last pick is deathwing, sneed, or some trash. I'm thinking sneed, but is deathwing a better choice?

Never gotten any of those two in arena before so not really sure how to rate them.

Probably way too late but I would pick Sneed's unless you think you need massive board clear. Either are pretty good.

johnsmith

remember me
Gotta love BM backfires. Playing handlock on ladder and a Mage gives me 'well played', double fireballs and pings my face down to 1. I Jaraxxus and win 3 turns later, roping every time just to rub it in.
Yeah this almost happened to me.I killed an explosive sheep once with my face while doing a druid combo. Fortunately he hit the concede button, but the trees died before hitting his face.

I just got King Krush in a pack. He worth using at all? I mainly play Hunter, the mana cost is a bit high.

People will quickly point out the leroy + hero power is better.

I'd quickly point out that turning your volume up to max, slamming down king krush and winning the game is the only real point to playing hunter.

So keep it.

People will quickly point out the leroy + hero power is better.

I'd quickly point out that turning your volume up to max, slamming down king krush and winning the game is the only real point to playing hunter.

So keep it.

He does have a very satisfying animation, yeah. I'll throw him into a deck and play a bit to see if he's worth keeping.

The Adder

Banned
I'd like something for Shaman sort of like Jarraxus in that it's a late game card that changes your hero power to something really good.

9 mana
Legendary
3/15
Deathrattle: Your hero power becomes "Summon a random Elemental" if your hero power is already "Summon a random Elemental" your hero power costs one mana.

Synergizes with Shaman's underutilized Deathrattle and Elemental themes, gives the opponent a chance to silence it the turn it comes out. Useable, but not great without its text. Forces the opponent to play around it if they have no silence left. And end games if it goes off early enough.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I just got to play a 6 mana Lord of the Arena on turn one.

Could be a bad move, since I'm still just grinding out the basic cards and don't know if there was an insta-kill the rouge could have had, but it was too fun to not play. Instead, they just BM rage quitted by letting the timer run out every move.

Could be a bad move, since I'm still just grinding out the basic cards and don't know if there was an insta-kill the rouge could have had, but it was too fun to not play. Instead, they just BM rage quitted by letting the timer run out every move.

Assassinate is 5 mana and it destroys any minion, but he could've Sapped it back into your hand, which would've sucked.

Speaking of altered hero powers, I got well rekt by a priest the other day that did turn 2 coin Shadowform, turn 3 Shadowform.

No way to gain any presence when he has a Darkbomb every turn.

Speaking of altered hero powers, I got well rekt by a priest the other day that did turn 2 coin Shadowform, turn 3 Shadowform.

No way to gain any presence when he has a Darkbomb every turn.

That is one sort of deck I've always wanted to mess about with. You face it every now and then and it is a good surprise tactic.

I just don't have the cards :|

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
That is one sort of deck I've always wanted to mess about with. You face it every now and then and it is a good surprise tactic.

I just don't have the cards :|

Priests seem to me to be the strongest class in constructed. They have so much synergy and staying power with their hero ability, no matter what class I'm playing , when I'm up against a priest I almost always lose.

ViviOggi

It was certainly a risky move considering you're playing constructed. It cost you three cards plus the coin, the most common answers on turn 3 would be Sap (insane swing in their favor) or Backstab + Eviscerate (not that devastating since it costs them two cards). It's not uncommon to keep Sap in your opening hand vs Druid so Rogue is actually one of the most likely classes to punish Innervate shenanigans.

Also Lord of the Arena is a terrible card, replace it with Boulderfist Ogre asap (I'm assuming you're on a budget). Big minions like that threaten the opponent's health and board by virtue of their stats alone while a 6/7 is significantly more expensive to remove than a 6/5. Good taunts trade with multiple minions that were played on the turns before and would otherwise just go for your face. Examples include Sen'Jin, Druid of the Claw, Sludge Belcher and Ancient of War.

Priests seem to me to be the strongest class in constructed. They have so much synergy and staying power with their hero ability, no matter what class I'm playing , when I'm up against a priest I almost always lose.
Priest is the most reactive class and has tools to punish most of your moves. They're in an okay spot but hardly the strongest class as they rely on drawing very sepcific combos to answer more aggressive plays. Some games they'll have every answer imaginable but in others they'll pass three turns in a row and just get overrun because their hand is full of cards useless in the current situation. Specifics obviously depend on what deck you're playing but against Priests it's particularly a matter of resources. Forcing them to use their removal inefficiently, playing around hyper value clears like Auchenai + Circle while maximizing your own cards' value is key. Essentially you need to play more threats than they have answers.

JohnCYQ

All of those cards have seen common play in miracle builds before except for BGH, and BGH is in every deck now thanks to the doctor.

What I meant was more so that the deck is going with one-of for most of those cards rather than the 2-of that most other miracle decks ran. A good portion of the miracle decks I've seen usually run double violet teacher and no belchers/bgh for example, much less sabotage (which he would have used if he had it on NA, it is supposed to take the slot of the second Sap).

It is rather different from the deck that MasSan ran when he first came from army a month or so back for example (single sprint, double violets, no belchers, only one tinkers oil if I remember).

Still, its probably one of the hardest class to play at the moment, since the playstyle is different from aggro, midrange or control.

JohnCYQ

Hmmm okay so rogue really didnt benefit much from GvG arena wise? Is it the worst class in Arena?

Depends actually.

MasSan for example thinks that Rogue is top tier/better than Mage in arena, and his success with the class kind of shows that. Only issue is that rogues have to be played rather differently (IMO) from other classes since you can't just pick a bunch of weapons and just kill the enemy board with it, due to the lack of healing in your class cards.

ZealousD

Hmmm okay so rogue really didnt benefit much from GvG arena wise? Is it the worst class in Arena?

I think it fell down in the rankings but it's not the worst. It's probably mid-tier. Warrior and Warlock are probably still the worst.

ViviOggi

The main issues are boards being sturdier and people drafting much lower curves than they used to pre-GvG. Their direct removal isn't as efficient as it once was against the prevalent deathrattles and early 2/3s, so weapons become even more important. With heals being rare the constant face damage you're taking often becomes a huge problem in my experience. Also a lot of their class cards have always been trash without the synergy you can't expect outside of constructed and GvG didn't change much in that regard. Sharpsword Oil and Auto-Barber are the only consistently useful cards for arena.

I think it fell down in the rankings but it's not the worst. It's probably mid-tier. Warrior and Warlock are probably still the worst.
Warrior is indeed the worst by far but Warlock is high tier now.

The main issues are boards being sturdier and people drafting much lower curves than they used to pre-GvG. Their direct removal isn't as efficient as it once was against the prevalent deathrattles and early 2/3s, so weapons become even more important. With heals being rare the constant face damage you're taking often becomes a huge problem in my experience. Also a lot of their class cards have always been trash without the synergy you can't expect outside of constructed and GvG didn't change much in that regard. Sharpsword Oil and Auto-Barber are the only consistently useful cards for arena.

Warrior is indeed the worst by far but Warlock is high tier now.

Yeah Rogue and Warrior suffer from the damage taken from weapons being so much higher due to multiple targets. Unless you are drafting some heal bots as well (which seems extremely rare in arena) you are just going to hurt yourself and die from the five other 2 drops on the board

ViviOggi

Yeah Rogue and Warrior suffer from the damage taken from weapons being so much higher due to multiple targets. Unless you are drafting some heal bots as well (which seems extremely rare in arena) you are just going to hurt yourself and die from the five other 2 drops on the board
Oh and Snowchugger. A single turn 2 chugga chugga you can't remove will absolutely destroy you and with it being a Mage common you'll often see it multiple times per run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom