• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Xbox One update rolling out to everyone today

Bessy67

I'm a bit surprised that we haven't see the March preview yet.
Hopefully that means Voice-Messages, Screenshots and Background Music!

Haha, yeah I know. Unrealistic thinking, though I do expect to see screenshots with the next update.
Mike Ybarra just tweeted something about taking a dev kit home to try out the new March features, so I'd guess preview members will get the update soonish.

https://twitter.com/XboxQwik/status/567062608662913026

I wonder when I'll plug mine back in.. Bought one late last year for MCC and it was nearly unplayable online. I finished halo 1 on legendary and swapped it for my wiiu when bayonetta and smash came out.

I think they need an update to completely overhaul the UI. I just cannot stand the convoluted current interface.

Or even just a "simple mode" that let's you just start up games you've recently played.

I'm a bit surprised that we haven't see the March preview yet.
Hopefully that means Voice-Messages, Screenshots and Background Music!

Haha, yeah I know. Unrealistic thinking, though I do expect to see screenshots with the next update.

Didn't phil tweet a screenshot picture recently? I seem to recall a Miles-gasm.

I think they need an update to completely overhaul the UI. I just cannot stand the convoluted current interface.

This just doesn't make sense to me. The UI works the same way most smartphones have done for the past 7 years.

Or even just a "simple mode" that let's you just start up games you've recently played.
Eh? Your last three apps/games are right there on the homescreen along with your pins if you have any set. I'm not sure what else they could do?

if xbox can implement a screenshots function like they have there gamedvr function it's going to be amazing. I'm talking about the activity feed and likes/shares. That will be such a huge upgrade over how the PS4 does it IMO.

Raide

if xbox can implement a screenshots function like they have there gamedvr function it's going to be amazing. I'm talking about the activity feed and likes/shares. That will be such a huge upgrade over how the PS4 does it IMO.

That is rumoured to be in the March update. Someone sneaked a shot of it.

Majine

Banned

The more I think of it, I like the social strategy that MS is going for. Instead of spreading it to Facebook like Sony does, keep it contained on Xbox Live. That's where I go to game and that's where it is most relevant.

The transparency looks goddamn awful.

It looks awful on bad backgrounds. If you just threw some random image on there, it probably looked bad before they added transparency, you just didn't notice because it wasn't obscuring the UI until they added in the transparency. Image selection is also pretty important if you want the background to look good. Dark images seem to work better, and you want any important details to be at the top or bottom of the picture where there are no UI elements. This way not only can you see them better, but they don't obscure the text on the tiles.

For example, this image looks pretty nice on its own:
itLfBTNXFZ1Kw.jpg

But when you overlay the Xbox One UI, the important parts are covered, and the excess detail will most likely make the tile text hard to read:
iGtSRe680Skum.jpg

This image looks good by itself:
iAR3i9m5nHKZv.jpg

But when you add the Xbox One UI over it, you can tell the text on the UI tiles will be harder to read:
ibkKc5pEMBMV9o.jpg

But if you darken the area where the UI will cover, like so:
io34HbCL1R3qY.jpg

Then once the UI is overlaid, you'll barely notice, and the background is now dark enough for the UI tile text to be legible. Also because the one character's face is above the tiles, and not under any UI elements, it looks much better.
il9iGYCnXeXK1.jpg

Here's another set, and the background I'm currently using:
The untouched background:
iC170OJ2GGGJ4.jpg

Untouched with the Ui:
iYynLEQ8hdcbH.jpg

Middle area darkened:
iM4Q6flPLsMQu.jpg

Final result:
i4BjnYOxbyREz.jpg

don't forget there's the preview programme, which public can sign up to and that doesn't need a dev kit. I'm intrigued.

Right, but the developers obviously have to get access to the new features too and its all done on the monthly updates. Theres a lot more that goes into them than just the stuff we get announced each month. I really don't think it means anything different

Top Bottom