• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Mystery Dungeon |OT| - The Mysterious Adventures of Fight and Heal

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
qCgP8KD.png

HLL6AUV.png

2JUMUVl.png

ENnrkTl.png

Dev credits graphic thanks to Atlus USA
Title: Etrian Mystery Dungeon
Genre: Dungeon RPG
Platform: Nintendo 3DS
Players: 1
Release Date: 2015, April 7th
ESRB: E (10 and up)
Price Package: $39.99 USD
FREE DLC for 1 Month: April 7th --- May 5th.

nHxaEhm.png

Behold Aslarga, a beautiful town known for its picturesque scenery, with the Amber Yggdrasil crowning the landscape. The town flourishes thanks to a steady stream of adventurers, all drawn by the mystery dungeons that dot the area.

The mystery dungeons' structure is as twisted and complex as an anthill, and changes each time an adventurer enters, so only the bravest challenge these maddening labyrinths. They receive a great deal of support from Aslarga, from both its citizens and its government. This includes lessons in exploration given by the Guildmaster, as well as laborers who build forts that serve as front-line bases.

Why is Aslarga so active in supporting the adventurers? To hear the town provost tell it, it is "To prepare for the Day of Reckoning..."
Story Text from Atlus USA Etrian Mystery Dungeon OHP.

IGFMeky.png

• "Roguelike" gameplay done by the masters of the "Mystery Dungeon" genre Chunsoft.
  • Dungeons are randomized each time you enter them giving the player a different experience with every new crawl.
  • Players will lose all collected items upon a party wipe, so tread carefully while adventuring in the dungeons.
  • 10 Classes to choose from spanning from the various main Etrian Odyssey game series, including the new class "Wanderer".
  • Find various items, equipment, traps and more in the dungeons.
  • Full 3d models of your characters visible when traversing the dungeons. Weapon / Shield "equipment" changes are visible.
    vWjuV35.png
  • Character color variations available during character creation.
    TXBruJ6.png
  • F.O.E.s have been rebranded as D.O.E.s and are up to their usual no good of getting in the way of our adventurers.
  • Fortress & Defense party system, player selected groups with the set purpose of defending the town from being destroyed by monster attacks.

MkeJ0Oi.png

*click on job icon to watch linked video.
The current 3 classes locked away from the start of the game are as follows below. These will become unlocked after you complete the 2nd dungeon quest.
  1. Sovereign
  2. Ninja
  3. Wanderer
*For further details on the classes refer to the official Atlus Etrian Mystery Dungeon - Character Creation page.

8SxmrFX.png

*Japanese trailers, leaving these up as they contain gameplay footage within them also.

BGM Sample #1 / BGM Sample #2 / BGM Sample #3

Etrian Mystery Dungeon - Full Trailer
Teaser Trailer
Etrian Mystery Dungeon LiveStream #1 / Etrian Mystery Dungeon LiveStream #2
Character Creation
Etrain Mystery Dungeon - 3DS Theme Trailer
Etrian Mystery Dungeon: Going Rogue - IGN Plays

EPpIlWE.png

Ppgvijq.png

1I7ob09.png

*Thanks to Atlus USA for the DLC info / image.

All of the following DLC below are Free for download from April 7th --- May 5th (This was based off of early information. Exact official DLC info displayed in image above)
  • Find the Wanderer, please: This quest will require you to find a Wanderer in the first dungeon. It’ll reward you with the addition of three foods that boost your item and money acquisition rates, along with higher chances of finding special floors.
  • Find the Landsknecht!: Similar to the previous quest, you’ll need to find a certain Landsknecht in the second dungeon. This one rewards you with three additional foods that increase your experience points gain and BLAST meter, along with higher chances of finding rare species.
  • Defeat the Golden Guardian: There’s a golden guardian wandering around a dungeon, and you’ll need to defeat it. Clearing this quest will give you some money along with a large amount of materials.
  • Do You Know The Red Pooka?: You’ll need to defeat the Red Pooka F.O.E wandering around in a dungeon. Defeating the Red Pooka will give you a pair of level-up items.
  • Please Find the Sovereign: This fifth DLC quest will have you search for a Sovereign class character in the first dungeon. This quest rewards you with a useful item that lets you keep all your items whenever you fail a dungeon run.
Info from Siliconera

yAq6eUU.png

#1:
Q: Is this getting an EU localization?
A: Seems like the game will be released in the EU in the fall. Info from Gematsu

#2:
Q: I'm new to the Etrian Odyssey series, would I still enjoy the game?
A: Sure! As with all the other games, they have no connection to each other story wise, therefore you can jump in with any of the titles and enjoy the dungeon crawling! Though this title does play quite different from the main-line Etrian Odyssey series. If you are familiar with the overhead view rogue-likes or other Mystery Dungeon games then that is the type of gameplay you can expect.

#3:
Q: How hard is this game?
A: It depends if you are used to rogue-likes or not? If you are unfamiliar with the genre will take a little getting used to, but since its fairly straight forward with the combat being in "turns" things should not be too difficult. Though there is character facing / placement to think about. Also there are strong monsters that wander the dungeons and are not meant to be fought after you level a bit, so initially avoiding them is the best plan as a new player.

#4:
Q: Are D.O.E.s the same as the main series F.O.E.s?
A: It seems like it, though this time around they will be attempting to attack the town and players will have to try to stop them in the dungeon or by setting up defense forts to fight them at with a separate party.

#5:
Q: What happens when parts of the town are destroyed by D.O.E.s?
A: It seems like the damaged parts of a town will be unusable for a set period of time until it is repaired. (have not had this happen to me yet so am not 100% certain how it exactly works.)

#6:
Q: Some of the classes are missing on the character creation screen, what gives?
A: As with the main series games, there are special classes which are locked either through story progression or certain requirements are met in game. The current 3 locked away classes from the start are as follows below. These will become unlocked after you complete the 2nd dungeon quest.
  1. Sovereign
  2. Ninja
  3. Wanderer
#7:
Q: Is there any place I can go to get info on the other titles in the series?
A: Yep here on the NeoGAF forums there is an Etrian Odyssey Community Thread made by omlet, Dandy Crocodile and spiritfox. Feel free to drop by there lots of dedicated fans willing to help out those who are curious about the series!

MuMWU2d.png

Gaming Age: 100
GamesBeat: 95
US Gamer: 90
Game Revolution: 90
Nintendojo: 91
MMORPG.com: 86
God is a Geek: 85
The Gamers' Temple: 81
Destructoid: 80
Nintendo Life: 80
GamingUnion.net: 80
EGM: 75
Gamespot: 70
RPG Fan: 65
GameCritics.com: 50
RPGamer: 50

Taken from the Metacritic page for the game.
uM45Xo1.png

USA
Amazon.com
New Egg
Target
BestBuy
GameStop

Canada
Amazon.ca
EBGames.ca
VGP.ca
*Disclaimer: Neither GAF nor myself has any sort of affiliation with the following sites above. These are the sites listed on the official homepage. Mods if you feel this is inappropriate let me know and will remove this section.

xrHUdIp.png

Thanks goes out to Atlus Japan and Atlus USA for the resources used to make up the graphics in this OT.
Thanks to Siliconera for the info in the quoted section of the summary.
Thanks to Seda for the US OT title change!
*Have no official affiliation to Atlus Japan, Atlus USA or Siliconera

Parakeetman

xaIKdfv.png

Some tips / info. Minor gameplay spoilers. For the record I've gotten to the final superboss of the post-game, but havent beat him yet (taking a small break, it took a while to get there):

-I found Gunners to be extremely useful for regular exploration. Having a long range attack along with elemental shots helped in just about every situation.

-There are a total of
_7_
main dungeons before the credits with a few side dungeons. The game continues on after that with
_4_
more regular main dungeons as well as
_3_
regular side dungeons. Additionally, there are
_2_
dungeons with a special rule that you start back at level one with no equipment when you enter. You have to work with what loot/items/exp you get in the dungeon only.

-I had my main exploration team (Landsknecht, Gunner, Runemaster) max out their item loot skills early on. This means I got lots of pick ups from those spots, so more money and better equipment becomes available in the shop quickly. (I never had an issue with money)

-You can put reserve units in forts to have them gain EXP as well. (I think it's pretty darn close to 100% the same exp your battle party gets). I had a secondary Landsknecht/Gunner/Runemaster that I did not put item collection abilities on, so they would have more combat abilities. The idea was to swap to this team for boss fights and such, but honestly I didn't really need to despite 10 skill points allocated to abilities useless in combat on my main team.

-I had a third team (Hexer, Dancer, Wanderer, Ninja) used mostly as my fort squad. When you encounter a DOE at a fort, your 4-man exploration team and your stationed 4-man squad at the fort team up to take the DOE on. This is honestly a pretty sure-fire way to beat these buggers.

-Some of the later dungeons have ~8 DOEs floating around, which if you want to go down the dungeon normally, can be a huge headache. What I did was create a fort at the top-most floor, and waited for DOEs to come to me. It takes some time, but clearing them out before actually trying to get to the bottom makes things a lot less frustrating.

Another quick tip. Don't forgot to always have an escape thread in your bag. Early on I forgot to replace one I used, and then I fell in an ambush. (this was like in the second dungeon before I really knew what I was doing). Since then I've always been able to escape whenever things got hairy, and avoid the costly penalties associated with a party wipe.
Later on you can buy an item for a similar effect with bosses, which helps when you want to get to know them and not fear dying

Have fun.

NEVER FORGET

To those who "got" the game early remember Atlus knows...

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Great OT as usual, although the images look huge in the browser...
I've started the game and cleared the first tutorial dungeon after which I was finally able to make my own party.
I really like it so far, but this is my first experience with the Mystery Dungeon series, so I can't really say much at this point regarding the gameplay comparison to other MD games.

I think I'm going to roll with a Swordman, Paladin, Runemaster and Magic, although I'm wondering if having a Gunner/Chaosmaker instead of Runemaster would be a better idea.

Parakeetman

Great OT as usual, although the images look huge in the browser...

I've started the game and cleared the first tutorial dungeon after which I was finally able to make my own party.
I really like it so far, but this is my first experience with the Mystery Dungeon series, so I can't really say much at this point regarding the gameplay comparison to other MD games.

I think I'm going to roll with a Swordman, Paladin, Runemaster and Magic, although I'm wondering if having a Gunner/Chaosmaker instead of Runemaster would be a better idea.

Thanks!

The sizes of these images are actually smaller than the ones I usually use. I think its the width which makes them look so huge. As the height is actually a fair amount shorter than the usual stuff I think?
Though yeah the category banners are a lot larger that what I usually use. Could try to shrink them down a bit to cut back on the vertical space a bit. Will take a little time to redo all of that as am fixing the media section atm.

After I get through fixing the media section will check out the game for a bit!

Nice OT as usual. Still kinda bummed there's only 2 design per class instead of usual 4 in the EO series. Probably it's because of the 3d model.... As for question 3, Asia region 3DS doesn't work with JP games.

Parakeetman

NO.

I REFUSE.

JOIN US

NnwNqf8.png

Nice OT as usual. Still kinda bummed there's only 2 design per class instead of usual 4 in the EO series. Probably it's because of the 3d model.... As for question 3, Asia region 3DS doesn't work with JP games.

Thanks!

Will make the fix to the FAQ section. Had that misinformation from a long time ago when 2 GAF users were arguing about JP 3DS games + Asian 3DSes. lol

Aeana

I was gonna grab this, but there's no reason when the English version is sooo close. It's a tough wait, but I'll stick it out. Have fun, guys.

Looking forward to this, as I have always loved the design of Etrian, but don't really like the whole first person dungeon crawling thing. (I know it's a very stupid reason to not like something, but yeah..I don't get it either!) I do however really liked Pokemon Mystery Dungeon and Izuna and they're sorta similar. Hoping to see some good impressions!

Edit - Does Bestbuy ever get these games physically in stores? Wanted to get it with GCU but I'm only getting an online shipping option for preorders at the moment.

Parakeetman

I was gonna grab this, but there's no reason when the English version is sooo close. It's a tough wait, but I'll stick it out. Have fun, guys.

At least you have Dragon Quest Heroes to keep you busy in the mean time. Since a month isnt too far away! lol

Parakeetman

I love me some Etrian Odyssey but the idea of EO + roguelike makes me get nervous...

The upside though is that its made by the company who pretty much started the mainstream trend for the genre in Japan. So at least its by someone who knows what they are doing with the design aspect.

So HOPEFULLY the game should be good. :D:

jurec84

Unconfirmed Member
Looks interesting, although I'm not as excited as I would have been for Untold 2. But I will still grab
it if it ever comes to Europe.

Parakeetman

Media section should be updated.

As always if you folks find any issues just let me know and will see about fixing it.

Astarte

hm, the series always had some rogue-like elements to it

Yeah but even if I get muffed up I didn't lose all my items :[

The upside though is that its made by the company who pretty much started the mainstream trend for the genre in Japan. So at least its by someone who knows what they are doing with the design aspect.

So HOPEFULLY the game should be good. :D:

I'm pretty sure the game will be great, it's just that my muck ups will be the end of me.

Parakeetman

Yeah but even if I get muffed up I didn't lose all my items :[

I'm pretty sure the game will be great, it's just that my muck ups will be the end of me.

Cant wait to lose all of my shit in the dungeon after dinner! lol

lum0s

Banned
I don't expect mystery dungeon games to match the sometimes insane difficulty of traditional PC roguelikes, but after PMD: Gates to Infinity, I question Chunsoft's ability to make an engagingly difficult MD game. Yeah, it was Pokemon game so maybe I shouldn't take it as a definitive sign (despite previous PMD games offering greater challenge, if only by a small measure). But when I see a party-based MD game, I'm immediately wary of the difficulty factor. They even have a class with healing abilities.

I only show concern because a roguelike/MD game without a good level of difficulty becomes a huge snorefest, and I say that as a staunch roguelike fan (though I'm not so hardcore that I can't respect the more lighter offerings). And I hope it's not a situation where all rank and file enemies can be steamrolled and the only challenge arises from boss-type creatures.

Regardless, I plan to get the game either way, but these are concerns that I have.

Aeana

I don't expect mystery dungeon games to match the sometimes insane difficulty of traditional PC roguelikes, but after PMD: Gates to Infinity, I question Chunsoft's ability to make an engagingly difficult MD game. Yeah, it was Pokemon game so maybe I shouldn't take it as a definitive sign (despite previous PMD games offering greater challenge, if only by a small measure). But when I see a party-based MD game, I'm immediately wary of the difficulty factor. They even have a class with healing abilities.

I only show concern because a roguelike/MD game without a good level of difficulty becomes a huge snorefest, and I say that as a staunch roguelike fan (though I'm not so hardcore that I can't respect the more lighter offerings). And I hope it's not a situation where all rank and file enemies can be steamrolled and the only challenge arises from boss-type creatures.

Regardless, I plan to get the game either way, but these are concerns that I have.

The Shiren series has historically offered a much greater challenge than any of the Pokemon games... the Pokemon ones are supposed to be easy.

lum0s

Banned
The Shiren series has historically offered a much greater challenge than any of the Pokemon games... the Pokemon ones are supposed to be easy.

True, I love the Shiren games--best MD games I've played, but those had a single protagonist and was an older Chunsoft. This seems a different beast and looks more reminiscent of PMD despite the Etrian title it shares.

Parakeetman

PMD: Gates to Infinity

staunch roguelike fan

lol

3945747-5072368385-iBurc.gif

Sorry unable to take your post seriously when you reference a spinoff title that is aimed towards the pokemon crowd rather than Chunsoft's actual flagship titles in the genre.

lum0s

Banned
lol

3945747-5072368385-iBurc.gif

Sorry unable to take your post seriously when you reference a spinoff title that is aimed towards the pokemon crowd rather than Chunsoft's actual flagship titles in the genre.

Sorry, but what is there in my post to be so condescending towards? Just because I can appreciate more hardcore roguelikes and MD alike doesn't mean Gates to Infinity wasnt incredibly mediocre even for a PMD game, calling into question Chunsofts credibility. Why wouldnt i refernce it when it was there last MD game? Besides, you're attacking my argument fallaciously and aren't addressing my concerns at all. *I'd like to be proven wrong, you know, but you offer nothing worthwhile.

Parakeetman

Shrank down the category banners to 50% the size so that should help things out a bit. Looks like it should be ok now.

Sölf

I never wasn't that much of a fan regarding the Mystery Dungeon series. The only thing close were "Lufia - The Legend Returns" (on the GBC) and "Azure Dreams" (on the PS 1), but I don't think they were official "Myster Dungeon" entries.

Anyway, maybe I buy this one, because Etrian Odyssey. Just tell me if I will have nightmare again because of the DOEs. And if the first DOE is in fact a killer doe. xD

omlet

I'll be passing on the import since the English version is just around the corner and I don't have time for it right now, anyway, but I am looking forward to it for sure! Going to try this one, because Etrian Odyssey. Will be my first MD game. I'm hoping it feels challenging without being crushingly cruel.

tuffy

Looking forward to this arriving in NA since it combines Nethack-style random dungeon crawling with an Etrian Odyssey flavor. It shouldn't be that dissimilar to the main series, really. Both require planning turns carefully and sometimes knowing when to make a hasty retreat in order to come back another day.

Great OT!

Princess is locked at the beginning of the game? Shit.

I can't wait to read your impressions and get the game when it comes out in English. I have always wanted to check out the Mystery Dungeon series and this might be the best time to do so.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Great OT!

Princess is locked at the beginning of the game? Shit.

I can't wait to read your impressions and get the game when it comes out in English. I have always wanted to check out the Mystery Dungeon series and this might be the best time to do so.
Don't worry, you can unlock the final 3 classes after an hour-two of playing, it's no big deal. Plus characters who stay in the guild gain experience as well. Otherwise the rescue squad system, which allows you to send a second party to not lose the money/equipment of your dead one, wouldn't make much sense.

After playing the game for a few hours and clearing the first two dungeons a few times to clear some quests and get a few extra levels, I like what I've seen so far.
There are still a few confusing things - I sometimes have problems with predicting how my party members will move when they're not walking in a straight line and I'm a bit surprised at the amount of super long 1 space wide corridors connecting rooms.
Can't wait to play some more tomorrow.
2 things that everyone should know:
- Holding Y allows you to rotate in place. It might have been said in the tutorial, but I'm not sure.
- Get the free DLC stuff. The quests give a nice boost with new meals and new (?) enemy types.

Here's my guild card after the first day:

I can see myself beginning the game with this team:
  • Hexer
  • Runemaster
  • Dancer
  • Gunner
I can see this team having some serious problems if the game wants you to use a Protector but whatever, then I'd probably replace the Runemaster or Hexer with a Princess.

Don't worry, you can unlock the final 3 classes after an hour-two of playing.

Awesome.

atlusprime

Atlus PR
I can see myself beginning the game with this team:
  • Hexer
  • Runemaster
  • Dancer
  • Gunner
I can see this team having some serious problems if the game wants you to use a Protector but whatever, then I'd probably replace the Runemaster or Hexer with a Princess.

That team may have a rough go of it at the beginning. But I look forward to your stories of triumph or failure!

And for you EU people...news very very soon (next week, I hope)

LegatoB

Not super impressed by the difficulty so far, but, I expected that. It's a party-based Mystery Dungeon. Hopefully there'll be a Fei's Final Problem equivalent eventually. Was mostly surprised by what a non-factor Hunger is, at least in the first three dungeons. As long as you make a habit of running around as a support character, like a Curse Maker, outside of combat, you're not going to be in any real danger of starving.

Paladin is clearly super-good. Provoke leads enemies and bosses to you in a safe pattern for slaughtering with gunfire, curses, and thrown rocks.

Parakeetman

Am quite happy with the title so far. Got in about 4 hours of play though as turned in early last night from a long day of running all over the place and then got in 2 more hours this morning.

Game plays quite well and looks like there will be a ton of things to learn.

The graphics and music is fantastic really like it and fits the theme well too of the EO series.

Am not 100% sure on this but I think the rats can actually steal items from the map and use them on the player? Either that or it is a skill of theirs to throw random shit, since one of the little purple furry bastards tried to use one of those negative effect scrolls on me from a distance lol and this was just in the first dungeon too.

Since you have to start out with a Swordman due to the story my current party consists of a pretty typical build.

• Swordman
  • Paladin
  • Medic
  • Hexer
Got the 2 squishy caster types equipped with HP increasing items, since they do take a lot of damage if the enemy manage to get to them first. Saved my ass twice already having that extra 20-ish HP on them. Which is about worth 1 good hit from an enemy with their current DEF rating.

Am waiting to open up the last 3 classes to make the more unique party build. Really want to check out the Furai / Wanderer. Also will make a secondary party based off of the Princess & Paladin with the other 2 being ranged support.

I need to spend more time with the menus looking at things since want to know if I can switch off party use of skills. Otherwise with my paladin for example she goes and blows all her TP super fast which makes me want to control her manually so that does not happen lol.

Though on the other side of things my Hexer ベホイミ (lol) is doing a fairly good job of being a damage dealer with the single damage spell she has. Though does not seem to attempt the debuffing that much. Which is good considering the TP cost.

Cant really suggest the game to anyone yet as have not progressed far enough / got enough play time, but most def I am enjoying it so far and look forward to the harder dungeons as I progress.

Parakeetman

Sounds great, thanks for the early impressions.

I'm not happy that you have to start with a Swordman, can you replace them early on?

Yeah after that you should be able to change it out. The reasoning is due to the very first tutorial mission being a solo run on the dungeon to teach you basic mechanics and due to getting hit in there they needed a class that wouldnt go squish during it lol.

Yeah after that you should be able to change it out. The reasoning is due to the very first tutorial mission being a solo run on the dungeon to teach you basic mechanics and due to getting hit in there they needed a class that wouldnt go squish during it lol.

My team will be super squishy, I like the challenge. I'm glad you can change it really fast, I'm no longer disappointed if it's just for the tutorial.

That team may have a rough go of it at the beginning. But I look forward to your stories of triumph or failure!

I like when games are challenging so I'll have fun, but I don't know how balanced this game will be, worst case scenario I drop my Runemaster for a Paladin but I really don't like to use the usual tank class most of the time.

Parakeetman

Nice! Thanks for stopping by! When you folks do an official announcement will add it to the OT as lots of EU fans are waiting for the title localization announcement no doubt :)

Top Bottom