• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Mystery Dungeon |OT| - The Mysterious Adventures of Fight and Heal

atlusprime

Atlus PR
My team will be super squishy, I like the challenge. I'm glad you can change it really fast, I'm no longer disappointed if it's just for the tutorial.

I like when games are challenging so I'll have fun, but I don't know how balanced this game will be, worst case scenario I drop my Runemaster for a Paladin but I really don't like to use the usual tank class most of the time.

Yeah, you can change the Landsknecht out for whatever really early on, but I imagine that without a LS or a Protector, it'll be fairly rough until your party comp gets to level 5 or so. Some of the early monsters hit surprisingly hard, and there's nothing quite like seeing RNGesus hitting your Gunner with a sleep trap, then watching the rest of your party melt.

Hexers are godly though. Suicide Pact is a fantastic skill in this.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Am not 100% sure on this but I think the rats can actually steal items from the map and use them on the player? Either that or it is a skill of theirs to throw random shit, since one of the little purple furry bastards tried to use one of those negative effect scrolls on me from a distance lol and this was just in the first dungeon too.
[...]
I need to spend more time with the menus looking at things since want to know if I can switch off party use of skills. Otherwise with my paladin for example she goes and blows all her TP super fast which makes me want to control her manually so that does not happen lol.
Rats definitely throw items from the field. I don't mind scrolls, but I've been hit with a chest I was trying to get to more than once.

As for turning off skills, for some reason you unlock it soon after clearing the 2nd dungeon. You'll get a tutorial and all. Weird that they don't give it to you earlier.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Rats definitely throw items from the field. I don't mind scrolls, but I've been hit with a chest I was trying to get to more than once.

As for turning off skills, for some reason you unlock it soon after clearing the 2nd dungeon. You'll get a tutorial and all. Weird that they don't give it to you earlier.

lol ok good to know i wasnt just losing my mind due to being tired. ill progress through the 2nd dungeon then. just hung around the first one to lv up the rest if the pt to at least 4 first.

ok i see the rats drag the items around, killing it will release the items from the enemy.

am curious if later on there will be enemies who steal stuff from you.

also last night fought my first gold enemy. was a rat too so when the damned thing did the special bite attack christ did that do a lot of damage ( ̄□ ̄;)!!

Nachos

Great OT, and I can't wait for this to hit next month! This'll be my first Mystery Dungeon, so I'm excited to dip my toes in some form of the series now.

I'll probably go with my favorite class designs in the series, so land/protector/rune/gunner, and if the game pulls an EO3 and makes physical attacks way stronger than magical attacks, swap out the runemaster for a wanderer, depending on what skills they get.

TrickRoom

Loved Pokemon Mystery dungeon and Shiren. Love EO.

This game will be right up my alley. Hope it's as good as it sounds.

Parakeetman

lol almost had a party wipe due to an unlucky entrance on a floor surrounded by 5 monsters

omlet

Liking the impressions so far.

Not sure what kind of party I'd like to try. I think Shishou is probably a lock in. Maybe Hexer, Princess, and Dancer for the others. One of my favorite classes from each mainline entry. Really need a fifth party slot for gunner girl! Gonna be hard to decide who to include with so many good options. At least it sounds like with multiple parties being a thing I'll be able to try out other stuff without having to feel like I'm constantly churning my main party.
Hexers are godly though.
When have they not been? :D

Liking the impressions so far.

Not sure what kind of party I'd like to try. I think Shishou is probably a lock in. Maybe Hexer, Princess, and Dancer for the others. One of my favorite classes from each mainline entry. Really need a fifth party slot for gunner girl! Gonna be hard to decide who to include with so many good options. At least it sounds like with multiple parties being a thing I'll be able to try out other stuff without having to feel like I'm constantly churning my main party.

When have they not been? :D

That would be the perfect party(Shishou, Hexer, Princess, Dancer, Gunner), as if choosing 5 characters wasn't already difficult as hell and now they expect me to cut one more spot?

omlet

That would be the perfect party(Shishou, Hexer, Princess, Dancer, Gunner), as if choosing 5 characters wasn't already difficult as hell and now they expect me to cut one more spot?
No matter what party I pick, I feel like I'm hurting someone's feelings by benching them D:!

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
The game was really easy, excluding occasional floor changes resulting in being surrounded by monsters, until the first dungeon with a D.O.E.

In which this happened:
j1gS2FO.jpg
A good, old monster zoo. I had to use one of the blast skills to survive.
And even aside from the above, the dungeon itself was much longer than all the previous ones, had a D.O.E. inside and the boss was a huge pain with aoe bad status attacks and very high defense.
But hey, at least I didn't die!

Parakeetman

Scariest shit that happens is when some normal enemy actually manages to kill a party member, gets stronger, kills another party member boosting their stats yet again then 1 shots the 100+ HP Paladin.
Then you know its time to throw the thread down and get the fuck out lol.

Thankfully there is an item in the shop you can buy to revert them back to their original status. Though at the time did not know about it. D: Didnt help too that there were 3 other enemies closing in on our position as the turns ticked by :D

Great OT, and I can't wait for this to hit next month! This'll be my first Mystery Dungeon, so I'm excited to dip my toes in some form of the series now.

I'll probably go with my favorite class designs in the series, so land/protector/rune/gunner, and if the game pulls an EO3 and makes physical attacks way stronger than magical attacks, swap out the runemaster for a wanderer, depending on what skills they get.

Thanks!

Actually it seems to be balanced as there are some types that magic does more damage than physical. Or at least at the start of the game it is anyways. One example is the self-destructing enemy forgot the name but looks like a flying nutsack with faces on it. That thing magical attacks seem to do a lot more damage than trying to hit it. Forget which EO game it came from. In this one the explosions seem to be able to change the shape of the dungeon slightly by destroying walls.

Parakeetman

Sölf;154919791 said:
Flying nutsack? Exploding? Sounds like a Mandragora to me.

Was looking up the names from the US game might be the fire seed? Since the thing does explode after 2 turns.

Man really do like this game. Its nice also that the classes which were locked away as Hasemo mentioned get unlocked right after you finish the 2nd dungeon which is fantastic. Not too hard as managed to do that at lv 5-6ish. Thankfully the boss kept all of its attention on my paladin so everyone else just hammered the hell out of it.

Currently taking a break from my main party to lv up the new one and gather up more $$$ and supplies / resources.

Am making slow progress as have a ton of other things I need to take care of this weekend D:

I wonder if the 3DS screenshot function works with this game? Never used that feature in general so need to see how to use it.

Also am guessing that the guild can be leveled up later on to include more character slots. Since just filled up my 10 lol Yep got the town upgrading unlocked and will be upgrading my guild now which adds a +5 to party members along with a new skill.

Parakeetman

Game most def starts to ramp up the difficulty on the 4th dungeon. But am enjoying time with the title so far. Still need to figure out how to make better use of the party overall. As it seems that will be the key to surviving some of the insane rooms you will wander into filled to the brim with monsters.

One more week for US. So excited, especially seeing the nod to Shiren. Will be hard choosing a team.

As some classes are locked at first and you have to start with a Landshark, my initial team will be:

Landshark
Dancer
Hexer
Gunner

It's already super difficult to make 5 man parties... making a party of 4 is torture.

I'm also excited about the 3DS theme that is supposed to come out tomorrow.

Parakeetman

Once folks get into the game dont spend too many character slots with the starting classes and progress through the story dungeons to unlock the other classes as the wanderer is quite the useful class

GeekyDad

Really wanted a Wanderer but felt the need for a Protector. If Wanderer can tank pretty well, sounds like I'll be using one instead of a Protector, then. Now it's just a matter of whether to choose Gunner or Rune Master. But sounds like Hexer is really a necessity against DOEs in this game, at least if you don't want to make those battles a total slog.

So:

Medic
Hexer
Wanderer
Gunner or Rune Master

Parakeetman

Really wanted a Wanderer but felt the need for a Protector. If Wanderer can tank pretty well, sounds like I'll be using one instead of a Protector, then. Now it's just a matter of whether to choose Gunner or Rune Master. But sounds like Hexer is really a necessity against DOEs in this game, at least if you don't want to make those battles a total slog.

So:

Medic
Hexer
Wanderer
Gunner or Rune Master

you still need a protector for taunt since there will be times when you most def will need the armored meatshield taking hits rather than anyone else. for dungeon exploration going without the paladin can work but against the boss do suggest having one.

am actually using a runemaster over a hexer but do have an equal level one ready if needed.

game really ramps up the difficulty from the 4th dungeon. ヽ(・∀・)ノ

for the localized OT might make a duplicate of this one just updated with the localized content still deciding.

vareon

I'm getting this and hopefully I can juggle with Xenoblade. I suppose a Mystery Dungeon game should be good if played in short bursts, no?

redcrayon

Yeah, you can change the Landsknecht out for whatever really early on, but I imagine that without a LS or a Protector, it'll be fairly rough until your party comp gets to level 5 or so. Some of the early monsters hit surprisingly hard, and there's nothing quite like seeing RNGesus hitting your Gunner with a sleep trap, then watching the rest of your party melt.

Hexers are godly though. Suicide Pact is a fantastic skill in this.
Hey, any word on an EU release yet? I can't wait for this!

Parakeetman

Hey, any word on an EU release yet? I can't wait for this!

Nothing yet, know that Atlusprime is trying to get info but the last thing they mentioned was there were some "red tape" issues with being able to say anything in public yet. So EU fans will have to wait a little more, till an official announcement can be done.

I'm getting this and hopefully I can juggle with Xenoblade. I suppose a Mystery Dungeon game should be good if played in short bursts, no?

It can since its mainly runs on the dungeon and such. And it is not plot heavy like the Untold series so there really wont be like something you can forget if you do not play continuously.

GeekyDad

Very impressed by the official website. Lots of great media on there. And free DLC for the first month is definitely a nice bonus.

Parakeetman

Very impressed by the official website. Lots of great media on there. And free DLC for the first month is definitely a nice bonus.

The free DLC most def is worth getting. And agreed the OHP is a great resource for information on the game.

vareon

Nothing yet, know that Atlusprime is trying to get info but the last thing they mentioned was there were some "red tape" issues with being able to say anything in public yet. So EU fans will have to wait a little more, till an official announcement can be done.

It can since its mainly runs on the dungeon and such. And it is not plot heavy like the Untold series so there really wont be like something you can forget if you do not play continuously.

I'd probably forget my own characters and play style hah.

I don't know how but my local store's website updated this game's status to "in stock". I have to finish Majora's Mask first, dammit.

GeekyDad

Is there a range for XP gain? Because my Gunner is underleveled compared to the rest of my party.

there does seem to be one as my party was unevenly leveled. the paladin for me seemed to be the slowest at the time

From the videos I've watched, it seems to show exp gain over the characters' heads each time you defeat a monster. You should be able to experiment with it a bit.

Parakeetman

From the videos I've watched, it seems to show exp gain over the characters' heads each time you defeat a monster. You should be able to experiment with it a bit.

its the exp reqs for levels not the amount gained.

Hikami

Managed to get the English version early. Played through up to the first boss, pretty fun game.
Though not being able to control my party members (besides that boss fight) is a bit irritating when they do stupid stuff..
I can see why they did that though, would take forever to get through dungeons otherwise I guess.

Are you making a new OT for the English release or still using this one, Parakeetman?

Parakeetman

Managed to get the English version early. Played through up to the first boss, pretty fun game.
Though not being able to control my party members (besides that boss fight) is a bit irritating when they do stupid stuff..
I can see why they did that though, would take forever to get through dungeons otherwise I guess.

Are you making a new OT for the English release or still using this one, Parakeetman?

Gonna be using this one just with the updated english content. should go up later today. The subtitle will change when the update is done.

Also just remember for the most part keep your party out of the hallways in the maps as the AI does not function as well or at all in them lol. Seriously... D:

Need to grab a coffee and some other paperwork out of the way first been up all night working on shit. Then will get this finished up.

so many good games out atm. already ordered this. i hope it's not too easy or i'll get bored quick.

This is actually one of the better made mystery dungeon games which is good to see. But it depends how good are you at the genre? Its still quite challenging though and the party mechanic does change things up a bit making it interesting. Id say the DOEs and actual mass number of monsters that can appear in the dungeons at times are more dangerous than the bosses though lol.

--------

Thread is currently being updated all thats pretty much left is fixing the linked videos.

Parakeetman

US OT for Etrian Mystery Dungeon is officilaly open!

Fixes have been made and OT has been redone for tomorrows US release of Etrian Mystery Dungeon.

If you folks find any issues with the OT do let me know and will get them squared away.

Enjoy!

*For those wondering why there is some JP content in this, it is due to this thread originally being the import OT.

Camjo-Z

My body is ready. Gates to Infinity was a disappointment, so I'm excited to get some REAL Mystery Dungeon action on my 3DS.

Parakeetman

My body is ready. Gates to Infinity was a disappointment, so I'm excited to get some REAL Mystery Dungeon action on my 3DS.

The game is a lot better than more recent Mystery Dungeon titles, personally which am glad to see that Chunsoft did put in a good effort with the title. While it has some rough edges, overall very enjoyable mashup of 2 series I like.

Parakeetman

And the great OT gets even greater! :)
Stoked to get this and discuss with the EO GAF regulars. My Amazon copy is shipping soon!

Thanks!

Do hope you folks will enjoy it. This most def is quite the unique title and an interesting combination of the genres.

Hopefully the EU fans will get a localization announcement soon since do know that there was a good number of people waiting for that information.

Seems that we have some members that already have their hands on the title too. Judging how they have not said much about it yet, am guessing they are still getting used to the game and playing through it lol

Laconic

Banned
I just got it preordered, today.

Hype levels, rising...

Are Pallys good for end-game?

I was hoping that Wanderers would be good, because they looked baller.

Derkon

Pre-ordered mine Friday, looks like a pretty fun game! Still not sure what classes I'm going to roll with for my main party >.>

Top Bottom