• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Mystery Dungeon |OT| - The Mysterious Adventures of Fight and Heal

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I just got it preordered, today.

Hype levels, rising...

Are Pallys good for end-game?

I was hoping that Wanderers would be good, because they looked baller.

Wanderers are pretty useful. Esp the skill that allows them to dig holes in the dungeon lol. Though if you leave their stone throw skill on automatic good lord do they spam the hell out of that on anything and everything wasting TP. D: Still useful though as they can hit stuff from pretty far away with it.

Its nice to have a well leveled / equipped paladin just in case...

7tNlV5T.png

Pre-ordered mine Friday, looks like a pretty fun game! Still not sure what classes I'm going to roll with for my main party >.>

Just keep in mind when you start the game you will have to use a Landshark. But you will be able to change that once you gain access to the town and can fill out the rest of your party.

Do suggest not taking up all the slots early on as once you finish the 2nd dungeon mission you will have access to the other 3 classes mentioned in the class & faq section of the OT.

Laconic

Banned
Wanderers are pretty useful. Esp the skill that allows them to dig holes in the dungeon lol. Though if you leave their stone throw skill on automatic good lord do they spam the hell out of that on anything and everything wasting TP. D: Still useful though as they can hit stuff from pretty far away with it.

Its nice to have a well leveled / equipped paladin just in case...

7tNlV5T.png

Just keep in mind when you start the game you will have to use a Landshark. But you will be able to change that once you gain access to the town and can fill out the rest of your party.

Do suggest not taking up all the slots early on as once you finish the 2nd dungeon mission you will have access to the other 3 classes mentioned in the class & faq section of the OT.

Awesome. Sounds like half of my end-game party is set, then.

Hikami

Game is pretty addicting. Though coming up with a good party is tough so far. I keep switching every time I come out of the dungeon..
My Protector and Medic haven't changed since the start, it's just the other two spots that I can't decide on lol.

Parakeetman

My Wanderer LOVES throwing stones. Wanderer seems a bit underwhelming in the lower levels though.

If you disable that skill, the Wanderer should run up and attacking things correctly. Those creature type specific skills it has also can be useful, though its a ton of points to spend on it... D:

Mine Im using as a replacement tank currently with how hes set up and I control it manually when I need a pointman.

Since they can equip pretty much frontline job specific gear makes them highly useful. The damage output on some of the katanas that they can equip is great too.

Am sure it will improve for you as you gain more gear and add the + values to them with the upgrade scrolls.

spiritfox

Game is pretty addicting. Though coming up with a good party is tough so far. I keep switching every time I come out of the dungeon..
My Protector and Medic haven't changed since the start, it's just the other two spots that I can't decide on lol.

Ninjas are great. A mix of status and DPS, and the ability to semi-taunt if you don't have a Protector.

Parakeetman

Ninjas are great. A mix of status and DPS, and the ability to semi-taunt if you don't have a Protector.

Yeah I have 2 separate ones. One set up for more status ailments and the other is for crazy dodge abilities lol.

Its an interesting class and their damage output due to the katanas they can equip is pretty high too.

That sleep needle skill is great also when the AI does it from a distance seems.

My problem is Im a huge packrat so I keep finding more stuff than I can take with me due to having too much "Just In Case" items in my pack lol. Right now my other party members are chilling in the forts set up in the dungeon while I still keep doing loot / resource runs.

Its great that the restaurant has all of those options to choose from which is a huge help depending on what your plans are for the next dungeon run, really like that system added in this game.

Man I need to advance further to see if there will be another guild upgrade as am already maxed out D:

Hikami

Hm, should I go with Ninja or Wanderer then?

I currently have [Wanderer / Protector / Runemaster / Medic]
Probably won't change the protector and medic. Then I want at least one ranged character, which is the Runemaster. So do I keep Wanderer or switch it for Ninja?
My problem is Im a huge packrat so I keep finding more stuff than I can take with me due to having too much "Just In Case" items in my pack lol. Right now my other party members are chilling in the forts set up in the dungeon while I still keep doing loot / resource runs.

Its great that the restaurant has all of those options to choose from which is a huge help depending on what your plans are for the next dungeon run, really like that system added in this game.

Man I need to advance further to see if there will be another guild upgrade as am already maxed out D:
Yeah, I had this problem with the drpg Etrian games, not surprised to see it here again lol. My inventory here fills up so fast as usual.

spiritfox

Oh, FYI the DLC quests are already available for download. It's... Not worth paying for so make sure you get it for free.

Hm, should I got with Ninja or Wanderer then?

Probably won't change the protector and medic. Then I want at least one ranged character, which is the Runemaster. So do I keep Wanderer or switch it for Ninja?

Yeah, I had this problem with the drpg Etrian games, not surprised to see it here again lol. My inventory here fills up so fast as usual.

I'm a little bias but I prefer Ninja to Wanderer. You can switch easily though since non active chars also earn XP.

And make sure you store your extra stuff at the inn so you don't lose everything if you faint.

Parakeetman

Hm, should I got with Ninja or Wanderer then?

The thing with the Wanderer is most of its more useful skills come out from its 2nd skill tier. Though it makes a good makeshift damage dealer and can be equipped with various weapons / armor.

Both the Wanderer and Ninja can be good damage dealers, just that the Ninja will have lower general HP and if you want to use it more as a frontline type of character you would be having to spend skill pts in the evade related abilities.

One item you most def want to carry is the rune that allows you to travel quickly in a single turn to wherever it stops. Basically throw it in a direction and your character will only take a single turn to traverse a far distance. Very useful for when you want to get to a treasure chest before the countdown expires. (No idea what the runes English name is since have the JP version) D:

Oh, FYI the DLC quests are already available for download. It's... Not worth paying for so make sure you get it for free.

I'm a little bias but I prefer Ninja to Wanderer. You can switch easily though since non active chars also earn XP.

And make sure you store your extra stuff at the inn so you don't lose everything if you faint.

Im always super paranoid so I generally have a string on me and use it if a single character falls lol. Unless I have those world tree leaves which does instant resurrection. Still is painful to have one of those be used due to bad luck with a fight. D:

----

One odd thing I noticed about the Sov. is that it seems to have a lower stamina consumption when wandering around the map in comparison to the other classes. Am not sure if this was intentional or not. But its a main reason why am usually using mine all the time during dungeon runs. Thanks to that I only carry like 2 food items lol

Hikami

eh.. Does the game tell you this?
I must have skipped over it if so. Guess I'll be visiting the inn asap.

Have had a few times already where my whole party except the healer is wiped out.. (those rollers ( ̄^ ̄;))

spiritfox

eh.. Does the game tell you this?
I must have skipped over it if so. Guess I'll be visiting the inn asap.

Have had a few times already where my whole party except the healer is wiped out.. (those rollers ( ̄^ ̄;))

They did have a throwaway line about losing stuff at the beginning, but it was never explicitly mentioned. I lost my entire inventory when I resetted by accident >.<

When I heard this was a mix of Etrian Odyssey/Shiren the Wanderer, I got excited. I played the DS Shiren game and it was amazingly difficult! I couldn't believe the day I beat it. It won't be Day 1 for me, but I will get it before the free DLC period ends.

When I heard this was a mix of Etrian Odyssey/Shiren the Wanderer, I got excited. I played the DS Shiren game and it was amazingly difficult! I couldn't believe the day I beat it. It won't be Day 1 for me, but I will get it before the free DLC period ends.

I haven't played them, but I really hope this game is amazingly difficult!

Parakeetman

I haven't played them, but I really hope this game is amazingly difficult!

Its not like super difficult, but it can be challenging. Though you can make things harder for yourself with the type of party you attempt to do runs with though lol

Its not like super difficult, but it can be challenging. Though you can make things harder for yourself with the type of party you attempt to do runs with though lol

If it gets awfully difficult I will have to change my team(but I love difficult crap so I'll accept the challenge!), I'm not happy to hear that the Princess seems to be bugged(the buff thing).

Is the Dancer a decent healer in the game?

Seda

So reviews are embargoed until tomorrow but...

Gunner was, overall, the most useful class to keep in my party to be honest (outside of a medic)

Parakeetman

If it gets awfully difficult I will have to change my team, I'm not happy to hear that the Princess seems to be bugged(the buff thing).

At least its not to the level like the original EO JP ver with the paladins taunt not working period good times that was. I think it was the original EO...Or was that the first 7th dragon on the DS. One of those two.

It does not happen enough so that I really notice it though. Could just be that Im not using it constantly enough so that it becomes an irritating ratio lol

Not sure about that never tried. Mine is still sitting in the standby squad gaining exp.

Gunner was, overall, the most useful class to keep in my party to be honest (outside of a medic)

Please do drop the review here when you are able to let it go live and will add it to the OT!

Interesting about the gunner, never used mine yet. D: Been using the runemaster for all my ranged needs atm.

spiritfox

If it gets awfully difficult I will have to change my team(but I love difficult crap so I'll accept the challenge!), I'm not happy to hear that the Princess seems to be bugged(the buff thing).

IIRC it only has Regen dance but the regen is decent. I don't really need healing for normal runs anyway due to natural regen and Kasumi's Lunch.

Nice, I hope you enjoyed the game.

I'm glad to hear that the Gunner is useful.

IIRC it only has Regen dance but the regen is decent. I don't really need healing for normal runs anyway due to natural regen and Kasumi's Lunch.

There's natural regen? nice

At least its not to the level like the original EO JP ver with the paladins taunt not working period good times that was. I think it was the original EO...Or was that the first 7th dragon on the DS. One of those two.

It does not happen enough so that I really notice it though. Could just be that Im not using it constantly enough so that it becomes an irritating ratio lol

Not sure about that never tried. Mine is still sitting in the standby squad gaining exp.

Okay, good to know that it doesn't ruin the class.

Laconic

Banned
The only thing, beyond the normal 5 person party size, that could make this better, would be if we got dual-classing.

It is the stuff of dreams/sequels.

Parakeetman

The only thing, beyond the normal 5 person party size, that could make this better, would be if we got dual-classing.

It is the stuff of dreams/sequels.

For the general design of the dungeon and gameplay mechanics Id say 4 is a sweetspot and even then its hard to always get everyone to move where you want them to when the AI is in control or half of your party is still in a hallway etc lol.

Okay, good to know that it doesn't ruin the class.

Far from it considering the princess still is a main character in my regular party. Basically necessary too considering I dont run a medic at the moment.

vareon

Just got my copy and managed to sneak an hour during work. Finished the tutorial dungeon. It feels so refreshing, like I played Etrian Odyssey 1 again.

Kinda surprised with the amount of tutorial, though.

The game looks great. Mystery dungeon and Etrian seem to go together hand in hand. Now the wait for European release date news...

I'm happy that at least I can listen to the music I guess.

Parakeetman

Waaaaaaaait.

You can't buy Ariadne Threads!?

D: just checked yeah looks like it at least not yet. My shop is upgraded to 3 and cant buy it. Though there is a quest at the restaurant that should allow you to get one as a reward. If you are lucky I think the random shop keeper might sell it also in the dungeon or can find them in there.

spiritfox

D: just checked yeah looks like it at least not yet. My shop is upgraded to 3 and cant buy it. Though there is a quest at the restaurant that should allow you to get one as a reward. If you are lucky I think the random shop keeper might sell it also in the dungeon or can find them in there.

That quest is repeatable and easy to do. I get a thread every time I do a run.

This is actually one of the better made mystery dungeon games which is good to see. But it depends how good are you at the genre? Its still quite challenging though and the party mechanic does change things up a bit making it interesting. Id say the DOEs and actual mass number of monsters that can appear in the dungeons at times are more dangerous than the bosses though lol.

--------

Thread is currently being updated all thats pretty much left is fixing the linked videos.

mildly exp. i'm in love with the original shiren mostly.

vareon

Yeeah the lack of easy Ariadne Threads might throw me off my comfort zone, hahah. I usually used it at any signs of danger or weariness but now I might need to plan on how to go through to the next pole.

My only experience with Mystery Dungeon games was Chocobo Tales on Wii, lol. Never played a party-based one before.

GeekyDad

Eh...my copy won't arrive 'til tomorrow, and I have to work a midday shift. :(

So, I assume it's like other Etrian games with just the one save slot?

Parakeetman

Eh...my copy won't arrive 'til tomorrow, and I have to work a midday shift. :(

So, I assume it's like other Etrian games with just the one save slot?

Yes this only has a single save slot. It also automatically saves right before you enter a dungeon.

Please tell me squirrels steal these.

Please please please lemme hear them screaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam.

JimPanzer

Any info on an EU release date?
I'm debating wether to get an japanese n3ds or an american n3ds XL for this game and Devil Survivor 2 hmmm

Zweizer

Banned
Told ya the OT would get far more activity once the game gets localized, Parakeetman-man.

See y'all in a few months, once Europe gets the game, hopefully.

Parakeetman

Please tell me squirrels steal these.

Please please please lemme hear them screaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam.

Have not run into any squirrels, but there are rats that steal things from the map. Thankfully not items from your inventory, but they will pick up things on the map and throw it at you. Including chests lol.

Told ya the OT would get far more activity once the game gets localized, Parakeetman-man.

See y'all in a few months, once Europe gets the game, hopefully.

haha yeah with the 3ds being region locked too its always why 3ds import threads are fairly quiet D:

Hopefully atlusprime will be in with some good information soon...

Damn that sucks a bit. Especially coming off of EO2U
well not yet
and PQ having multiple slots.

I think they went and did it more as a design aspect for the Mystery Dungeon part of the title. So its kinda like you have to live with whatever happens in the dungeon. lol.

ys45

Nice OT !

One my most wanted game this year !
I will have to finish Bloodborne first before I start this thought....

I was wondering if all classes are viable or is there broken class I should avoid ?
I tend to use a classic party in this game (Land,prot,medic,alhemist/mage + hexer )

Amazon shiped my copy Yatta !

Fantastic work Parakeetman, as always. Never played a EO game before Persona Q and really enjoyed the gameplay and was curious to how this was different.

Parakeetman

Nice OT !

One my most wanted game this year !
I will have to finish Bloodborne first before I start this thought....

I was wondering if all classes are viable or is there broken class I should avoid ?
I tend to use a classic party in this game (Land,prot,medic,alhemist/mage + hexer )

Amazon shiped my copy Yatta !

Thanks!

It seems that all classes are viable. Some can make the game easier / harder depending. There is a small issue with the Sovereign where his / her order skill does not seem to proc correctly at times. But outside of that the class still works perfectly find and is one of the main jobs I use.

That orthodox all mighty party that you mentioned you should be perfectly fine with it. Good thing too about the other characters on standby will gain exp also. Which gives you room to experiment with things. Seda who has reviewed the title says the Gunner is a pretty good class and Atlusprime the Atlus PR person mentions that the Hexers are also quite useful.

My current main party in the JP one consists of the following.

• Sovereign
  • Wanderer
  • Ninja
  • Runemaster

Fantastic work Parakeetman, as always. Never played a EO game before Persona Q and really enjoyed the gameplay and was curious to how this was different.

Thanks!

The difference with this title is that it is a top down type of view and you do not have like control of all party members at all times. You can switch between them but its 1 action per turn.

In a single turn everyone on the map moves 1 space / performs 1 action.

Try watching the the following vids as it shows what you can expect the title to look like gameplay wise. Might be easier than me trying to explain everything by text haha.

Etrian Mystery Dungeon LiveStream #1 / Etrian Mystery Dungeon LiveStream #2

Etrian Mystery Dungeon: Going Rogue - IGN Plays

Parakeetman

Is there any downside to grinding?
Like, would enemies scale along with my level or something?

Does not seem like it. As am back in earlier dungeons with my near lv 20 PT and we are just roflstomping everything.

Though my guess is if you are not managing to keep the DOEs from advancing in the dungeons its going to mess up your town once they break through. I still have that yet to happen.

But anyways back on topic, no does not seem like enemies scale in level vs. the player.

I love roguelikes, Shiren the Wanderer is one of my favorite games ever. Recently got into Etrian series with Etrian 4, so this game is like the perfect crossover for me. So hyped!

Hikami

Ah I see, well that's good. I'm actually taking my 3DS out with me for once because of this game.
Not advancing the story but, just going through dungeons a bit whenever I have some free time is nice.

Top Bottom