• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Serkantoto: DeNA and Nintendo join press conference at 5PM JST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Is...is the membership services the new Club Nintendo maybe?!?

QDnsRdY.gif

Not exactly what I want. Could be very useful in advertising Nintendo IP but how successful would that be at converting people to buying hardware?

Hopefully it's not versions of games with the same gameplay as a Mario platformer or Zelda adventure but more like simple mobile games with various Nintendo characters.

Nanashrew

Banned
Sounds like a unified user system between console/tablet/smartphones? That's the way to do it. Fall of 2015? Holy guacamole that's soon.

Question is, will this be Japanese-only, or will we see these titles on iOS/Android in NA and Europe...

Reason it's probably so soon is because this is what's replacing Club Nintendo. I figured a unified system was a given as Iwata stated that, that sort of thing was a goal a year or two back.

Hey, if Nintendo isn't developing the games, then we are losing nothing. Their output on their own platforms will be the same. In fact, their output could increase if this is successful and generates enough profit.

I was about to say "No one made a Nintendo confirmed going mobile thread yet?", but it appeared xD

Good for Nintendo!

Hopefully they can bring their much needed quality and simple fun to the mobile market, and in doing so get used to fighting in a hyper competitive environment again, so their next console and handheld can have a chance of actually selling to non Nintendo diehards.

8bit

Knows the Score
Surely actual Nintendo properties in the app store is an improvement on knock offs of the same? And it's not as if Nintendo are dedicating internal resources to this anyway.

I like dena x square games! can't say i care for nintendo art so i doubt there will be many traditional card mobage i will get into from nintendo IP

wrowa

Will be interesting to hear the specific details. Curios to see them going with DeNA since I was under the impression that DeNA isn't exactly known for quality content, but in any case expanding certain titles to a mobile audience is definitely not a bad move.

1) Nintendo will develop smartphones games with DeNA, using Nintendo IP (!).
2) Nintendo and DeNA prepare a sort of multi-platform social gaming network for launch in fall 2015. This will be rolled out globally.
3) Nintendo buys 10% of DeNA for US$181 million. DeNA gets 1.24% of Nintendo. So this is quite serious.
4) The Nintendo-DeNA deal and all details falling under it will be signed today. The payment for the stock transfer will occur on April 2.
From Serkan.

boiled goose

good with gravy
I'm curious what these gaming applications are.

Unified environment sounds good but we ll see. if Nintendo wants to keep selling dedicated hardware I think putting games on other platforms is a bad idea. Then again, the future for everyone is services not hardware.

Looks like a unified account is happening.

Also no where does it day Nintendo I'd making mobile game. DeNA is making games with Nintendo properties. Don't expect excellence.

Surely actual Nintendo properties in the app store is an improvement on knock offs of the same? And it's not as if Nintendo are dedicating internal resources to this anyway.

Once you give people a taste of Nintendo IPs for free of $0.99 there is no going back. It's like tasting human meat.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
1) Nintendo characters will appear in mobile games, it seems.
2) It sounds like a phone/PC/Nintendo service is starting up.

Conjecture: There will be a series of "platform agnostic" games which will be playable across the "Nintendo Mobile/Something Service" and thus on Nintendo platforms, phones, and the computer.. as opposed to all/old titles being moved elsewhere.

Shadoron

That second part sounds less like Steam for Nintendo, and more like a Virtual Console subscription service, that spans multiple devices. Nintendo might be chasing after the people who play emulators on their cell phones. Which, frankly, wouldn't be a terrible thing.

I guess we will find out shortly.

Seriously, people are thinking this is Nintendo going mobile after Iwata categorically said, again, last month that it's not happening?

Good grief.

They said they're going to do an app featuring Miis. They said eShop/Miiverse apps. That's the most we'll get on smartphones.

lTlPuli.png

Where can I see this conference? Are they streaming it?

EDIT: Found one but not sure this will have the simultaneous english translation...

1) Nintendo characters will appear in mobile games, it seems.
2) It sounds like a phone/PC/Nintendo service is starting up.

Conjecture: There will be a series of "platform agnostic" games which will be playable across the "Nintendo Mobile/Something Service" and thus on Nintendo platforms, phones, and the computer.. as opposed to all/old titles being moved elsewhere.

Could this mean that Nintendo's next console could be something akin to an Android Box (not literally, but in terms of scope)?

xaszatm

Banned
Well, this isn't certainly helping my unstable suicidal tendencies. Can't wait for the smug people to come out of the woodwork and scream how doomed Nintendo is. Fuck. Maybe I should just off myself. Doesn't seem like nothing in my life is going positive right now.

I never realized how much Nintendo fans overreact to shit. Then again, I almost jumped up and down on my bed at 3 AM because I saw the Nintendo Direct thread.

This is an interesting development. Nothing more. Nintendo isn't going third party, Nintendo isn't buying Capcom... they're just partnering with a mobile company to take advantage of the times.

So Nintendo is not actually going to be making the mobile games, just allowing DeNA to use their IPs? Soooo, couldn't this could end up being CD-i levels of bad if Nintendo doesn't have a direct hand in making these games?

boiled goose

good with gravy
Well, this isn't certainly helping my unstable suicidal tendencies. Can't wait for the smug people to come out of the woodwork and scream how doomed Nintendo is. Fuck. Maybe I should just off myself. Doesn't seem like nothing in my life is going positive right now.

Hope this is a joke. If not get help please. whatever the outcome... it is just a company.

JoeM86

So Nintendo is not actually going to be making the mobile games, just allowing DeNA to use their IPs? Soooo, couldn't this could end up being CD-i levels of bad if Nintendo doesn't have a direct hand in making these games?

I imagine Nintendo would have oversight

Sandfox

Well its not like this is going to stop Nintendo from making their usual games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom