• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Serkantoto: DeNA and Nintendo join press conference at 5PM JST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I wonder what this is since DeNA actually doesn't have any notable IPs.

Their only notably successful game at the moment is a licensed Final Fantasy title and it's, well, you could port it, but it's kind of basic to my understanding.

Shadoron

DeNA has seen drastic decline in profit over the past couple of years.
Their only money making venture, mobage, is desperately looking for ways increase revenue. What better way to do this than to offer their content on another platform?

By the same token, there's very little reason for Nintendo to buy a company that is bleeding money, but they would like a way to connect their products to mobile game audience.

Offering mobage games featuring Nintendo IP's on Nintendo platforms is a good compromise that would provide value to both parties.

Does DeNA have any type of Western presence with their products? I don't know squat about the company. Was going to take 15 minutes to Google-fu and see what they are all about. Why would Nintendo stream this to the West, if DeNA is basically a Japanese Mobile Dev? Any insight?

JoeM86

I wonder what this is since DeNA actually doesn't have any notable IPs.

Their only notably successful game at the moment is a licensed Final Fantasy title and it's, well, you could port it, but it's kind of basic to my understanding.

DeNA isn't really just a mobile developer though. Aren't they also known for sorting out eCommerce portals?

From February (last month)

Iwata said:
"It is also possible to turn smartphone games from other software makers into 3DS-compatible games and offer them for relatively low prices. We intend to pursue a variety of options. Only those products and services that receive strong support from customers will survive."

Seems like he was interested in more stuff like Puzzles and Dragons Mario.

Wonder if this is going to be an example of that or something more?

Sou

Does DeNA have any type of Western presence with their products? I don't know squat about the company. Was going to take 15 minutes to Google-fu and see what they are all about. Why would Nintendo stream this to the West, if DeNA is basically a Japanese Mobile Dev? Any insight?

DeNA likes to consider themselves as an international company since they do own developers in western countries. Notable releases in the US include Rage of Bahamut.

Also, whatever that can get them more exposure to western audiences.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think they would be doing a big deal press conference if it weren't a major announcement. Either an acquisition, a deal for mobile development (or both?!) or something on that scale.

Kyzon

This thread will be level headed and civ.....

7SQyv37.gif

Or nah!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I don't think they would be doing a big deal press conference if it weren't a major announcement. Either an acquisition, a deal for mobile development (or both?!) or something on that scale.

A $1.7 billion acquisition of a company with no IPs and only really basic mobile games doesn't seem that smart unless they want to be a mobile game vendor.

DeNA isn't really just a mobile developer though. Aren't they also known for sorting out eCommerce portals?

So then the possibility roster is currently

-DeNA helps Nintendo set up some eCommerce thing, like an eshop mobile app
-Nintendo uses a mobile company that's in poor shape to help deploy brand-promotion apps (pokedex type stuff?) from a position with heaps of leverage.
-Porting whatever games DeNA does have that people might like to 3ds
-Using DeNA as labor for some co-developed game

?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
A $1.7 billion acquisition of a company with no IPs and only really basic mobile games doesn't seem that smart unless they want to be a mobile game vendor.

DeNA is a huge company that has their hands in a lot of stuff (they own the Yokohama Baystars, for instance).

Nintendo buying DeNA would be a fucking huuuuuuuuuuge deal in Japan for reasons even outside of gaming.

JoeM86

So then the possibility roster is currently

-DeNA helps Nintendo set up some eCommerce thing, like an eshop mobile app
-Nintendo uses a mobile company that's in poor shape to help deploy brand-promotion apps (pokedex type stuff?) from a position with heaps of leverage.
-Porting whatever games DeNA does have that people might like to 3ds
-Using DeNA as labor for some co-developed game

?

They don't really need DeNA for #2.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
DeNA is a huge company that has their hands in a lot of stuff (they own the Yokohama Baystars, for instance).

Nintendo buying DeNA would be a fucking huuuuuuuuuuge deal in Japan for reasons even outside of gaming.

What does owning a baseball team really net Nintendo though?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah, I have no idea. It could be some kind of joint venture? I imagine it has something to do with mobile at the very least. No reason to really involve DeNA otherwise.

Tripon

The Mariners at the moment is held in a trust by Nintendo of American. Howard Lincoln was the team CEO for a while, but I think he is retired now.

Santiako

Both CEOs, sudden announcement, an hour long?

I'm going to guess DeNA acquisition, allowing Nintendo to start their own line of mobile games, as a complimentary thing to their traditional games.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Both CEOs, sudden announcement, an hour long?

I'm going to guess DeNA acquisition, allowing Nintendo to start their own line of mobile games, as a complimentary thing to their traditional games.

That's what I'm betting. Either an acquisition a joint venture or some kind of co-dev deal.

Oregano

Nintendo buying them would be mentak gut it would although them to have mobile stuff and keep it fenced off from their dedicated hardware business.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Strategically I can't figure out anything attractive of significance, but a physical twin-CEO press conference with live translation from Japanese to English with an hour's notice certainly isn't to reveal some shitty Miiverse mobile app. This mode of operation is used when the announcement has significant stock impact. The announcement of Microsoft acquiring Nokia's phone division rolled pretty much exactly like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom