• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spotify PS4 is really broken.

Okay so I was playing the last main level of Hotline Miami 2 on hard mode and suddenly this weird song comes on. Tonally it fit with the game so I assumed it was a secret of sorts.

Then it changed. And again. And Again. And then I realized Spotify was playing and some random person had linked up to my PS4 and was playing their shit music and I couldn't even turn it off. Spotify wasn't even running on the PS4.

This has never happened on the mobile app or the desktop app, and now I can't even play on the PS4 without the chance that somebody is going to start playing music.

So thanks, Sony and/or Spotify. You really fucked that one up.

Isn't there a way to just not have it installed, or just not sign in on it so that it doesn't connect to the internet? Or is it on by default, using your account?

quickwhips

Okay so I was playing the last main level of Hotline Miami 2 on hard mode and suddenly this weird song comes on. Tonally it fit with the game so I assumed it was a secret of sorts.

Then it changed. And again. And Again. And then I realized Spotify was playing and some random person had linked up to my PS4 and was playing their shit music and I couldn't even turn it off. Spotify wasn't even running on the PS4.

This has never happened on the mobile app or the desktop app, and now I can't even play on the PS4 without the chance that somebody is going to start playing music.

So thanks, Sony and/or Spotify. You really fucked that one up.

Your mad that someone else has access to your spotify account? This seems like your problem not sony.

I think your first problem was playing music over HM's OST.

Edit: oh it auto started cause someone else who linked to you was playing music.

mattp

what?
so someone hacked your account and its their fault, somehow?

edit:
image.php

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I am not sure I understand how this even happened...unless of course you allow others to sign in to your Spotify account.

Do you live with roommates?

edit: Looks like it is fucked. They need verification

5taquitos

Someone in the original Spotify thread said that they were pushing random music to everyone's PS4s in their uni dorms. It seems like you can connect to any PS4 on the network?

Starviper

They would have to be on your network to be able to play to the PS4, dude.. You got someone stealing your wifi lol

EDIT: If it's a dorm environment that's probably how it's being done.

Alx

I'm not very familiar with Spotify (nor PS4 actually), what does it mean when "someone linked up to your PS4" ? Is it related to shareplay, or is it a Spotifiy thing ? (but in that case how can it work if the app wasn't running ?)
*edit - oh, is it a "play to" feature ? Can't you setup your console only to accept streams from authorized users ?

The way this works on PC is you can control Spotify on your computer through Spotify on your phone. Maybe someone in your house was using Spotify on their phone and was somehow linked to your account?

I thought he meant like Spotify picked a broadcast and started playing automatically.
Someone in the original Spotify thread said that they were pushing random music to everyone's PS4s in their uni dorms. It seems like you can connect to any PS4 on the network?
LOL that is typical Sony.

Pillville

Your mad that someone else has access to your spotify account? This seems like your problem not sony.

When I connected, if I remember correctly, PS4 never asked for my credentials.
I opened Spotify on iPhone, clicked "Connect", it listed my PS4, I clicked on PS4 and was instantly controlling music on the PS4.

BUT, I'm pretty sure the iPhone and PS4 had to be on the same network.

Sounds like someone in your household linked their phones and is fucking with you

This is a much better way to summarize what I was trying to say.

Pillville

They do.
Sounds like he shared his account info with somebody and that somebody selected the ps4 as the output device.

but that's the thing, you don't need the account info.
It looks like iPhones can control any PS4 on the network, with no credentials entered.

Alx

That could be the beginning of hilarious pranks, like streaming creepy voices to your neighbour's consoles. Just in time for April 1st. :p

That's pretty funny. They do need to add some sort of verification system if that is the case.

Heh, I remember setting up my ps3 in the dorm back in early '08 and seeing all the open connections to other people's laptops with the media server setting turned on. Nice to know things haven't really changed.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

That is hilarious. I can see it too, since it doesn't send an email/make you type in a code or anything.

Wow. You can press the PS button to lower the volume all the way down. It would still kill the music on games that kill the music when music is playing.

Being able to instantly connect to any PS4 on the network is such an oversight. I wouldn't have even assumed that would work, actually. I manually signed into the PS4 app with my Spotify account and it made me connect my Spotify account and my PSN account

(I can't test if connecting with a phone overrides login settings, my phone and PS4 are on different networks)

Top Bottom