• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crypt of the NecroDancer |Release OT| Kick off your early access shoes

Salsa

talked to kabouter about the game having one thread that barely reached a page a while ago and being moved to community soon which ended up with almost no discussion on this game that deserves much more, and it's finally out of Early Access so here we are

Ferrio did such a good job with the original OT and explaining how the game works tho that im mostly just gonna copy/paste. Feel free to lock the other one.

----

VB6RhGk.png

Developer: Brace Yourself Games
Genre: Rhythm Roguelike
Platform: Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, Linux
Available through: Steam
Price: $14.99 (currently 25% off cause of release)

Websites

Official Site
Steam Store Page
Crypt of the Necrodancer Wiki
Reddit Forum (good place to post challenge scores)

About

Crypt of the NecroDancer is a top-down 2D dungeon crawler in which the player controls the heroine, Cadence, to explore several levels of an underground dungeon. Players can manipulate Cadence by using either a Dance Dance Revolution pad, a mouse and keyboard, or a gamepad. Moving and fighting are both only possible if keys are pressed in accordance with the beat of the currently playing game music, and players will have the capability to play the game using their own music.

Features

• Roguelike rhythm game -- the player and enemies all move on the beat!
  • Award winning dance soundtrack by Danny Baranowsky (of Binding of Issac and Meatboy fame). OP note: The soundtrack is godly, and is available for purchase too.
  • A beat detection algorithm allows players to use their own MP3s and music files
  • Multiple Soundtracks (3), or your own!
  • Move with the keyboard, gamepad, or even a dance pad if you have one!
  • Four zones with four levels per zone
  • Random dungeons, multiple characters and an assortment of items/spells to make every playthrough unique!
  • Hardcore mode with permenant death.
  • Local Co-op. You can dance if you want to, don't leave your friends behind!
  • Daily Challenges. See who can can get the most gold from the same seeded dungeon!

Gameplay

0pyEV9w.gif

Navigate Cadence (or any of the other characters) through the Dungeon by clicking movement keys/buttons/pads in accordance with the music's rhythm. Normally only one action can be performed per beat, though there are items that can modify this behavior. As with moving, you can only attack a monster to the music's beat. Every monster killed without missing a single beat adds to the "groove chain" and acts as multiplier to any gold you pick up while the chain is active. Monsters differ in hits needed to kill, the damage they cause and their movement and attack behavior. Adapting to each monster's patterns while keeping your groove chain active is the key to staying victorious throughout the game.

Media

Cinematic Trailer
Early Access Launch Trailer
SoundTrack Sample - Zone 1 Level 1
Zone 1 Level 1 Gameplay
A Co-op playthrough
Giantbomb Quicklook

--

this game is great. buy it.

realcZk

This game is really great. Ended up buying it today without hearing much about it, and played for a couple hours. Itching to play again, highly recommend this.

The custom music really works well but I prefer the stock music for now.

I played it a while when it first came to EA and haven't touched it since. I have the feeling the game's quite different now and I really should get back to it at some point. Anyway, it's amazing.

Corpekata

Banned
Game is great.

For anyone that's maybe put off by the rhythm mechanic (heathen!) there's a character called Bard you can play as that basically makes the game a more normal roguelike.

Nzyme32

As soon as I have a better bank balance, I'll be picking this up. Everyone who has it has been so happy with it!

Salsa

This game is great beyond the rhythm mechanic

I mean, not really beyond it, but what I mean is that the game ends up being so much more than just a roguelike with a beat. The rhythm mechanic and specifically the need to just keep moving really turns the whole roguelike thing kinda on it's head in terms of strategy. You're always making wrong moves, and when you fuck up you INSTANTLY realize why you fucked up and it's never unfair, and you just consistently and very consciously get better at it.

the fast pace of it all makes it one of the games where you really see yourself getting better at it in real time. It's a weird thing to see and it's awesome. Super rewarding.

I pre-ordered this aaaaaages ago (before it was released as early access). Humble page promised DRM-free.

It's still not DRM-free.

I've asked about this on the forums and have been offered a refund, which I appreciate, but I still want this game, I just don't understand why they're now insisting on Steam. :(

Miker

I've never been fond of rogue likes much. How's the difficulty (beatable for mortals who suck at Rhythm Heaven?) and is there some sort of meta-progression? Also how does local co-op work, and is it any good?

Corpekata

Banned
I've never been fond of rogue likes much. How's the difficulty (beatable for mortals who suck at Rhythm Heaven?) and is there some sort of meta-progression? Also how does local co-op work, and is it any good?

There's diamonds you collect in levels which you can trade for things once you return to the base (via death or beating something). Like extra heart containers, or putting a piece of armor or spell in the random item pool.

It's pretty tough overall but like I said earlier there's a character meant for people that suck at rhythm games that should make some stuff more doable.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

What do you not like about roguelikes?

Progression wise when you beat a zone, it automatically unlocks the ability to start at the zone the next time, even after you die, along with shop stuff mentioned earlier.

The gameplay itself mostly plays like a true, turn based roguelike, but with the requirement to take your turns extremely quickly. The actual rhythm part is extremely lenient.

Salsa

in a way this game is more roguelike than the recent stuff most people label "rogue-lite"

core gameplay taking out the rhythm plays very much like something like shiren the wanderer

AEREC

Anyone else experiencing slight stutters or hitches every few seconds?

Playing a i7 laptop with an Intel hd 4400...pretty sure that should be plenty to run this 1368x720.

Salsa

Anyone else experiencing slight stutters or hitches every few seconds?

Playing a i7 laptop with an Intel hd 4400...pretty sure that should be plenty to run this 1368x720.

mmm

check vsync and the calibration option?

played both on PC and a laptop and ran perfect

One of the few games I ever bought Early Access and I regret not a single second of it. It's such an incredibly fun rogue-like.

Just...don't upload your own grindcore tracks. I may have...made a mistake.

Also the mods that are already made for it are just tremendously awesome.

Love the game so far. I bought it whilst it was still early access when it was on sale and didn't regret the yearlong wait for the final release.

Right now I'm trying to unlock the NPC behind the glass door cage in Zone 2. Let me tell you, trying to take a glass key through 3 levels of rhythmical chaos without getting hit once is hard as hell.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
This is certainly the hardest Roguelite-like to kill shopkeepers in and it's not because of difficulty

What do you mean? 2 bombs is all it takes, and it's not that hard to find an extra bomb somewhere. The execution is fairly simple too, just place, down, place, down, down, up.

Ants

this game was release quality when it first hit early access. glad to see them finally owning the quality

antitrop

Oh it's him? Damn nice.

The game comes with 3 soundtracks: the default one by Danny B, an EDM remix, and a metal remix (by FJ7x).

I don't like the EDM mix at all, but the other 2 are absolute perfection. I haven't put any custom soundtracks into the game, but I'm definitely going to put Hotline Miami 1 and 2 in there, as recommended in Super Bunnyhop's review.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
how do you change to the metal soundtrack?

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
This game is so god damned good. I am pretty terrible at it though. I get wrecked on 2-1 almost every time I try it.

First thing I did when I found out that it supported custom soundtracks was to import Hotline Miami's soundtrack. That was a bit of a mistake. Hadn't drank the night before, but I'm pretty sure I was hung over by the time it was done.

How does using your own soundtracks work? Do certain tracks (higher/lower bpm) translate better than others?

I've had my eyes on this one for a long time. Combines two genres I really enjoy in a novel way.

antitrop

How does using your own soundtracks work? Do certain tracks (higher/lower bpm) translate better than others?

I've had my eyes on this one for a long time. Combines two genres I really enjoy in a novel way.
The game uses a beat identifying algorithm. I don't really find the BPM to matter very much, because after a little while of playing, you get into that zen state where you don't even think about the rhythm or the controls anymore, you're only focused on the strategy and the rest comes second nature.

I took the plunge and have been playing it a bit. Great fun.

Came across a monstrous shopkeeper that killed me. Now I know to look out for them, I guess.

traveler

Not Wario
I'm consistently impressed at how this game constantly gets so much mileage out of its real time nature in the standard roguelike construct. I was expecting a fun, hilarious hybrid of a game, but it's legitimately well designed through and through.

Dsyndrome

Threw in Nine Inch Nails - Getting Smaller to see how it would do for Zone 1-1. Man, I haven't been that pumped while playing a game in a long time, just flowing to Trent Reznor. The beat sensor works awesome, can't wait to try more tomorrow.

Top Bottom