• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Guitar Hero Live" Announced

Probably safe to assume this is at least half, yes?

Edit: Holy shit, Warriors of Rock had over 100 on disc songs? Am I reading that right?

Someone at the BB event said 45 songs on disc (GH Live) and 100 on launch on GHTV. That could be inaccurate though

WoR had 93 songs on disc but that's counting 2112 as multiple songs

cakely

Telling beautiful stories through the songs via the backgrounds? Haha, someone has been smoking too much of the good stuff. I think they are loosing their was a little bit.

Tell beautiful stories where all the pretty girls make eyes at your male, white, straight guitar player.

IcyStorm

They had this at my local Best Buy (in SoCal) on Saturday with the three song demo. Foolishly I went for Veteran difficulty on my first try and got wrecked. I did play each song afterwards on Advanced and got somewhat used to it. I kind of wish there were 8 or 10 buttons total, but I also kinda like that they're doing something different instead of just doing Guitar Hero HD.

Maybe having 8 or 10 buttons is something they experimented with and decided against because it'd be way too complicated. Trying to juggle the black notes, white notes, and the combined black/white notes at the same time got to be pretty difficult, though it might be a matter of just getting used to it.

The background video stuff was cheesy, but it only got annoying because I wasn't able to skip it all at the beginning to get to the actual gameplay. Each one had a bit too long of a lead-in of getting on stage and everything.

The setlist thus far is definitely not grabbing me. Makes me think the game was given a shoestring budget and they're doing the best with what they have.

2 Ed Sheeran songs? 2 Green Day songs? 2 Gary Clark Jr. Songs? This is crap. Message in a Bottle was already in 2 Guitar Hero titles. When You Were Young was already in Rock Band 1.

This is a terrible setlist. The few good songs cannot overcome the rest.

Rembrandt

Banned
They had this at my local Best Buy (in SoCal) on Saturday with the three song demo. Foolishly I went for Veteran difficulty on my first try and got wrecked. I did play each song afterwards on Advanced and got somewhat used to it. I kind of wish there were 8 or 10 buttons total, but I also kinda like that they're doing something different instead of just doing Guitar Hero HD.

Maybe having 8 or 10 buttons is something they experimented with and decided against because it'd be way too complicated. Trying to juggle the black notes, white notes, and the combined black/white notes at the same time got to be pretty difficult, though it might be a matter of just getting used to it.

The background video stuff was cheesy, but it only got annoying because I wasn't able to skip it all at the beginning to get to the actual gameplay. Each one had a bit too long of a lead-in of getting on stage and everything.

Were the FMVs as dynamic as they said?

Mask

That's a terrible set list for a guitar-only game.

Most of those are more suited for Rock Band, and even then, DLC songs at that! Considering they still have some songs to reveal, I hope there's at least one difficult song in the vein of TTFAF or Devil Went Down to Georgia.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
What an odd set list. But at least there's an indication that they're not afraid of going back and getting songs they've already done in previous games.

They better let you skip the intro in the final game, or it's going to be DOA for anyone serious about score chasing.

MANGOD

Banned
Only song that tickles my fancy is Alter Bridge, the rest can fuck right off! Was kinda looking forward to a new guitar hero but looks like its gonna be my first rock band game this year. Fuck whoever thought these songs would make a good game

afroguy10

Hopefully that's not the whole on disc set list, pretty dire if it is.

Where's the Wolfmother, Smashing Pumpkins, Tool, Alice Cooper, Van Halen, Metallica tracks. Where's the classic and heavy rock and metal or even some funk to balance out what seems like a pretty pop, acoustic and soft rock oriented list of tracks. I need something to headbang to lol.

Avicii as well, I don't mind Avicii but it just seems a little odd as does Skrillex.

In case you hadn't noticed, the new Guitar Hero Live guitar's undergone a few changes. Gone are the five coloured buttons, one per fret, and replacing them are a new three fret, split button arrangement. The reason? According to creative director Jamie Jackson "more than any other category" played the original game at a medium level - a setting that favoured the first three frets.

Speaking in the new issue of Edge, on sale Thursday the 7th of May, Jackson explains the reasoning behind the changes. The Freestyle team went through mountains of player data Activision had collected during the life of the original game to find out "who played Guitar Hero?" In the early stages of development the one question the team wanted to answer was who actually played the old one? It was one of the big things we wanted to know," Jackson explains, "was it just expert players, who wanted to play [Dragonforces] Through The Fire And Flames? Or was it a broader group of people?"

The stats revealed one clear fact: "There were a lot of people, more than any other category, that played on medium. In the old Guitar Hero that meant largely playing on the first three frets. Realistically, it's the party setting. The 'maybe you had a few beers and just want to have some fun' option. As Jackson says: as soon as you use your pinky, or move your fingers down the buttons, then re-find your position... for so many people, thats where it fell apart. I was one of them, definitely".

Because of that medium playing majority, Freestyle wanted to make a layout "that really spoke to that group of people" but Jackson makes it clear that the new Guitar Hero couldnt just be a game for [medium]". Jackson and the team haven't forget about those who loved the crushing pursuit of metal perfection: "We worked really hard to ensure that, although we changed the guitar, there are still those combinations of phrases that will give you the feeling of doing those five-button runs, but in a totally different way. That new button configuration is designed to appeal more to the casual player initially, but also to have "more depth than the old configuration did, mirroring chord shapes and more guitar-like fret work.

Guitar Hero Live's new controller was redesigned for the medium difficulty majority http://ow.ly/My23a

---

Looking forward to the full article

Wow the whole IRL first person cam is precisely as cheesy and awful as I thought it would be, if not worse. I do think though the 2 row fret board is a nice changeup, though 4 frets per string would've made for a much better difficulty curve and skill ceiling, IMO. No drums or vocals is garbo, and I hate the setlist already. I would still likely side with RB this time around but I own neither a ps4 or a xbo. Harmonix needs to get with the times and support PC (surprising that ActiBlizz is more progressive in this regard) or at least throw Wii U owners a bone.

Guitar Hero Live Initial Set List

The Black Keys - "Gold on the Ceiling"
Blitz Kids - "Sometimes"
Ed Sheeran - "Sing"
Fall Out Boy - "My Songs Know What You Did in the Dark (Light Em Up)”
Gary Clark, Jr. - "Don't Owe You a Thang"
Green Day - "Nuclear Family"
The Killers - “When You Were Young"
The Lumineers - "Ho Hey"
My Chemical Romance - "Na Na Na"
Pierce the Veil - "King for a Day (feat. Kellin Quinn)"
The Rolling Stones - "Paint it Black"
Skrillex - "Bangarang"
The War on Drugs - "Under the Pressure"
Black Veil Brides - "In The End"
Rage Against the Machine - "Guerrilla Radio"
Judas Priest - "Breaking the Law"
Pantera - "Cowboys From Hell"
Sleigh Bells - "Bitter Rivals"
System of a Down - "Chop Suey!"
Alter Bridge - "Cry of Achilles"
Alt-J - "Left Hand Free"
Broken Bells - "Leave It Alone"
Red Hot Chili Peppers - "Higher Ground"
The Pretty Reckless - "Going to Hell"

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...tar-hero-live-set-list-20150512#ixzz3ZvrWMSrL

That was today's reveal

I'm going to go ahead and guess that we are NOT the target market for this game.

I suppose, but still. You'd think they could at least throw a bone to the fans of the old series with a few songs they'd like, or throw in a bit more variety to try to appeal to a wider demographic. That setlist makes it look like this game was designed by Hot Topic.

Ridley327

I know they were covers back then, but Higher Ground and Cowboys from Hell were in a Guitar Hero from 10 years ago. Something for the vets, I guess?

Why do you care about repeats when the game is completely different? Six buttons and all that. I've honestly never cared about repeats in these games with the different features and charting philosophies.

Given the note charts are going to be different because of the new guitar, I really don't remind repeat songs. Like, I haven't played Message in a Bottle on that guitar, so whatever.

Would like to see some crazier songs on there, though. Not feeling the setlist from what we know.

Man, I'm looking forward to learning the new guitar but this setlist ain't doing it for me yet. Can't wait to see the rest though, along with what GHtv has at launch.

With so many of the bands chosen having plenty of good songs to choose from, they instead opted to just use songs they've already done.

What an absolute bummer. Save us HMX? (To be fair, the repeats they picked are mostly good, but eh, i can play most of them in RB, and the new stuff really isn't doing much for me)

ViciousDS

Banned
With so many of the bands chosen having plenty of good songs to choose from, they instead opted to just use songs they've already done.

What an absolute bummer. Save us HMX? (To be fair, the repeats they picked are mostly good, but eh, i can play most of them in RB, and the new stuff really isn't doing much for me)

yes, its a blah setlist.

Bulls in the Bronx by Pierce the Veil is an overall better song than king for a day, but they are going for that casual crowd (popular song heavy for the younger ones too) it seems. Please save us Harmonix!

MajorMane

Eh, nothing really there that excites me too much, honestly. These aren't really the songs that make me go, "Wow, I have to get this game to play those songs." I'm a little surprised at how small the setlist seems, but I'm sure they plan on GHTV fleshing that out a little bit at launch. All in all, with me not being too particularly enthused to learn a new guitar model, I'll probably skip out on GH: Live and go with RB4 at this point.

Wait, this is all there is day one? Will GHtv have the 100+ songs day one too and this is all there is day one for LIVE? I just thought this was a partial setlist...

it's a very weak setlist. Skews way, wayyyy too heavy on current pop songs for me. I'm sure Ed Sheeran is a doll, but this isn't the place.

I've played When You Were Young and Message in a Bottle so many goddam times- in Rock Band and Guitar Hero!

This setlist is a bummer. I was still a little bit interested in GH Live because of how different the gameplay will be with the new 6 button setup. If this is all that's coming on the disc I can't drop $100 bucks on this especially since this new guitar won't work with Rock Band 4.

Top Bottom