• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PT no longer downloadable in US (and EU/UK) even with license

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
The sheer speed with which Konami is pulling out of videogames is so easily attributed to the actions of its Mad Senile Old King.

Feel sorry for everyone forced to continue living under that regime and keep toeing these ridiculously petty lines. A mountain load of shame like this seems so ill-fitting of japanese business, so you can only guess to the amount of hushed shit-talking about Kagemasa thats been going on.

Artex

Banned
The sheer speed with which Konami is pulling out of videogames is so easily attributed to the actions of its Mad Senile Old King.

Feel sorry for everyone forced to continue living under that regime and keep toeing these ridiculously petty lines. A mountain load of shame like this seems so ill-fitting of japanese business, so you can only guess to the amount of hushed shit-talking about Kagemasa thats been going on.

What exactly is it speculated that Konami intends to do as a business going forward?

Welp, this is a scary precedent for the all-digital future. Konami leading the charge- can't say they aren't innovative at least.

Konami Presents

A
[name redacted]
Game

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

They must name him in the credits I guess, but I highly expect TPP to not have the usual "A Kojima game" intro. In fact, I'm surprised they didn't patch it out of GZ.

Someone at Konami must be so salty, I kinda expect the Kojima credit entry in TPP to be somewhere at the bottom of the list like this:
"Asshat - Hideo Kojima"

KJRS_1993

What exactly is it speculated that Konami intends to do as a business going forward?

Focus on mobile games and gambling I think? I'm not 100% but I've seen it posted on here.
They're a pretty big company that don't just deal in AAA publishing.

GavinUK86

They must name him in the credits I guess, but I highly expect TPP to not have the usual "A Kojima game" intro. In fact, I'm surprised they didn't patch it out of GZ.

Someone at Konami must be so salty, I kinda expect the Kojima credit entry in TPP to be somewhere at the bottom of the list like this: "Asshat - Hideo Kojima"

tumblr_lvl5tyId4c1qegw8v.gif

Sorry, but you agreed to these terms (if you own and use a PS4).
I know this move is shitty, but blaming Sony is really out of line.
Boycotting Konami is the right move tho.
Keep fighting the good fight. Sony still authored that shit and it's still dumb. So they are complicit as far as I'm concerned.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

Gambling is the big one. Want to make bigger pushes into that arena, and also exploit the "fuck all effort, massive rewards" mobile space. Which in itself is a strange form of gambling I guess!

Konami has gone from a company proud of its videogame achievements to seemingly ashamed of them not being some water into wine situation in the space of a year. When it reads like the actions of someone losing the plot, 9/10 its because there is.

nkarafo

Ah, Digital distribution and gaming preservation everybody. Two things that will never mix.

So this thing will only exist inside the consoles that already have it. I hope at least someone rips it for future use on a future emulator.

Foffy

Banned
Gambling is the big one. Want to make bigger pushes into that arena, and also exploit the "fuck all effort, massive rewards" mobile space. Which in itself is a strange form of gambling I guess!

Konami has gone from a company proud of its videogame achievements to seemingly ashamed of them not being some water into wine situation in the space of a year. When it reads like the actions of someone losing the plot, 9/10 its because there is.

It's not even just that. They also grew towards the end of last generation to view their IPs as a "AAA or bust" scenario, and it was this intent and direction that primarily killed the Castlevania franchise, which I believe was Konami's longest-running IP still getting games. Jim Sterling highlighted such problems, as they'd often give press releases for games after they came out, presumably those not-AAA titles.

satire77

I don't know if it already has been said, but seeing how easy is for Sony to remove anything from our libraries, why do we still have to see all those betas that dont work anymore ( destiny, bf4, etc)

chadskin

Update: Konami has confirmed that P.T. has been completed deleted from the PlayStation Store. "We already announced previously that the distribution period of the P.T. demo was going to expire on Apr.29th," a representative told us via email. "The reasons were that, P.T. was a playable teaser for a project that was being discussed with Guillermo del Toro and Norman Reedus. That specific project has now been cancelled. Konami will however continue to develop Silent Hill branded titles."
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...laystation-store-cannot-be-re-downloaded.aspx

lifa-cobex

Guys. You're all reading over legal documents and shit for something you got for free about a year ago.
Reality check - It's just video games.

Yea it's just a game. But its a franchise from I guy I really enjoy and trust with my money.

Kojima is one of the very few names I trust in gaming.
You don't get fucked over with day one content, pointless DLC, elements being cut out the game to be resold later but most of all, A dame solid game on day one release.

The only thing that has pissed me off in regards to MGS (aside from recent departure news) is they charged for Ground Zeros. However I have a feeling that was more to do with Konami than Kojima. Possibly an element to why he is leaving, possibly not.

The_Monk

It was something that had great potential in the genre and I know many were expecting more news regarding this.

Decided to check if I was still able to download and it just downloaded to my console. From Twitter, it seems that it might be gone after the PS Store update at least for EU consumers. This will remain in my console for when some guests want to experience some tension. I did this when P.T was released and it was a great fun.

I don't know if it already has been said, but seeing how easy is for Sony to remove anything from our libraries, why do we still have to see all those betas that dont work anymore ( destiny, bf4, etc)

It seems more like PT will stay in your library list to forever htaunt you that you can't actually download it!

edit: the fuck? Can someone check if all regions have that expiry date for PT?

Steroyd

This pretty much does it for me. Not buying anything that'll bring Konami money. That includes MGS5. Done with this company.

Fuck you, Konami.
Might cancel my MGS V pre-order.

You can back up games now as well as game saves, right?

Never buying a Konami product again. Also Sony are way out of line being complicit in this.

Yes that includes MGSV.

You guys are aware of how redundant boycotting Konami before MGS5 is right?

If MGS5 "tanks" it only re-enforces whatever shitty narrative the current CEO of Konami has, I'd rather enable Kojima to give the finger to Konami as he leaves his office to a MGS5 under his watch sell 30 million and then subsequent MGS' sell in their thousands than have the CEO justify Kojima's sacking and scratching his name off shit.

Besides it's not like it's hard to boycott Konami's products product after MGS5, they don't want your money either way.

Exact same logic can be used to imply that if MGSV doesn't tank their current behaviour is absolutely acceptable (I think most of us can agree it is not). Boycott is a personal decision. I'm not encouraging anyone else to do anything, but after playing Ground Zeroes and being on the hook I want to make it clear that Konami has lost a customer today.
Besides it's not like it's hard to boycott Konami's products product after MGS5, they don't want your money either way.
You completely ignore the statement that they will continue to make Silent Hill games.

It seems more like PT will stay in your library list to forever htaunt you that you can't actually download it!

edit: the fuck? Can someone check if all regions have that expiry date for PT?

Downloaded PT earlier today (Finland, EU PSN). There is no expiration date. Even started the game to test, still no expiration date.

Rezae

Very disappointing. I was really looking forward to trying this when I eventually get my PS4. I "purchased" it from the web store in anticipation.

With that said, is anyone that surprised? It is a cancelled project. It was free. I figured they'd patch it or something and make the game unplayable period, give you a little message when you try to boot it that it's expired. Maybe that'll come next. Then the big hit on eBay will be offline unpatched PS4 with P.T.

I don't want to take things out on Kojima and the work he has put in to things, but I'm at the point where I feel like boycotting MGS5. I don't want to give a penny to Konami anymore. (I'm more bitter about Castlevania lately than anything...)

Does it? i just went to check and couldn't find it in the library, and i know for sure that i downloaded the game when it came out.

Oh ok... I was basing it off that screenshot of someone getting a download error on PS4 so I assumed you had to be able to click on it in the first place.

Next up: Copyright infringements for all P.T. playthroughs on youtube etc.

JK9Gmkt.gif

edit:
Downloaded PT earlier today (Finland, EU PSN). There is no expiration date. Even started the game to test, still no expiration date.

ok, good. Thanks, I have that version.
Now let's see if Konami gets desperate and releases a patch that automatically installs to render PAL P.T. useless as well :eek:

lifa-cobex

You guys are aware of how redundant boycotting Konami before MGS5 is right?

If MGS5 "tanks" it only re-enforces whatever shitty narrative the current CEO of Konami has, I'd rather enable Kojima to give the finger to Konami as he leaves his office to a MGS5 under his watch sell 30 million and then subsequent MGS' sell in their thousands than have the CEO justify Kojima's sacking and scratching his name off shit.

Indeed.
Show Konami what they are letting go.
If anything I want this game to be the best selling MGS to date. Yes Konami has made an error. But make the error fucking catastrophic. In the end, Kojima and his team will be fine. Being part of one of the most successful game franchises will be a glowing header on your CV.

RootCause

I do not get why they removed it, but what's even more confusing is the fact that they canned the project after all the positive reception. Guess I'll never delete PT.

iNvid02

would set a bad precedent if it was something people paid for, but it was just a free demo

edit: ^^ they really dont want you to play this

Now I need to get home and see if I have that "expiration date" on mine. This is bullshit.

Why would Konami do this? I mean, it's ready... It's done. Why don't just let ppl enjoy it. It's not like it's costing you money to keep the thing on the servers.

Top Bottom