• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Announced (First on PS4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meowster

It's funny that you say that because that darkness and cynicism is what enraptured me as a child I think.

It's also probably why I was really into Batman The Animated Series.
Haha, totally get this.. and it is something that I really drew to love and be fascinated with when I got into my pre-teen years. I was just a little wimpy as a kid and preferred the more fantastical and mysticism of VIII. Just get something that gels best with your kid. As I said, if I had a kid, I'd get IX and play through it together through multiplayer.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I'm hoping they revamp or ditch the entire Fort Condor section. You know the part where you play a mini RTS? Just terrible. Make it a cutscene or something.

Has it been confirmed that Square outsourced development to CyberConnect2?

This can't be true? They don't have the greatest track record to be given such an important project... then again they did make Tail Concerto (for PS1) and Solatorobo (for DS), both of which are absolute gems.

Dark_castle

I'm hoping they revamp or ditch the entire Fort Condor section. You know the part where you play a mini RTS? Just terrible. Make it a cutscene or something.

The mini-game wasn't perfect, but it was a decent distraction with some neat ideas. What they should is make it less of a tower defense but more of a real-time strategy, make the movement of the pieces more smooth and rapid.

Meowster

I always just let the little guys kill me.. didn't seem worth the effort. You get the same boss fight afterwords and it's one of the easiest bosses in the game lol.

dickroach

The mini-game wasn't perfect, but it was a decent distraction with some neat ideas. What they should is make it less of a tower defense but more of a real-time strategy, make the movement of the pieces more smooth and rapid.
what? they should make it a legit tower defense game. those are great. it could add hours and hours of replay value to the game, just like Triple Triad did to ff8.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.

I just don't see how they can do this section at all with the art style they are going for in the trailer. I mean, I can picture most of the bizarre stuff, even the Honeybee Inn being done justice but Fort Condor, I just don't know... Just revamp it and make it a dungeon or something.

I always just let the little guys kill me.. didn't seem worth the effort. You get the same boss fight afterwords and it's one of the easiest bosses in the game lol.

Oh for real?! XD

I thought you were required to pass it so I've always pushed through that section! Still discovering new things about this game 18 years later, wow...

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
I just don't see how they can do this section at all with the art style they are going for in the trailer. I mean, I can picture most of the bizarre stuff, even the Honeybee Inn being done justice but Fort Condor, I just don't know... Just revamp it and make it a dungeon or something.

Oh for real?! XD

I thought you were required to pass it so I've always pushed through that section! Still discovering new things about this game 18 years later, wow...

You can't enter again if you loose, but is ok.

Dark_castle

what? they should make it a legit tower defense game. those are great. it could add hours and hours of replay value to the game, just like Triple Triad did to ff8.

That would be fine as well. They should stick with one style and not make a clunky hybrid.

The point of fort condor minigame is to make a simulation of war between the rebels and shinra, a dungeon won't really work.

dickroach

That would be fine as well. They should stick with one style and not make a clunky hybrid.

were tower defense games even a thing in '97? I think it would be pretty simple for SE to make a little addictinggames-flash-style Tower Defense that could serve the exact same purpose with very few resources. something about those games is very... addicting

I don't really see what's hard to picture about it.

Roulette

Fort Condor got a lot easier when I realised you could rush your units to the bottom of screen and kill enemy units close to their spawn points, blocking respawns and ending rounds super quick. Meant you didn't have to spend a bunch on reinforcements, also.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Incoming Little King's Story mini-game reskinned to Fort Condor characters.

Turin

Banned
I liked Fort Condor, overall. It had a cool vibe to it and I got a kick out of the mini-game even though it lasts a little too long.

Also, Pheonix. <3

Pagusas

Elden Member
I liked Fort Condor, overall. It had a cool vibe to it and I got a kick out of the mini-game even though it lasts a little too long.

Also, Pheonix. <3

Yep, agreed. I see no issue what so ever for Fort Condor, honestly Im scratching my head as to why anyone would think that of all areas would be a problem. The art style fits fine with it. The mini-game will be super easy to convert into the new style, and using other tower defence games as examples will probably make it better. Even the Phoenix hatching will fit fine into the art style.

OmegaDL50

It could be Bugenhagen for all we know. I mean the voice has a sagely old man quality to it.

It's definitely not Cid, I don't expect him to sound that eloquent.

I don't think it's Sephiroth, although it could be, but I don't expect him to have a voice that gruff.

I know for a fact it's David Lodge, who did Jiraiya in the Naruto series.

Bluenoser

Part of the problem in making the character models too realistic (i.e. Advent Children) is that a lot of the set pieces in the actual game wouldn't seem to fit in that world. They worked because the game was cartoony/unrealistic. People mention the honeybee inn, but there are soooo many moments in FF7 where I would have trouble imagining them if the world and characters were lifelike. I wish they had just gone for a look more like kingdom hearts 3 rather than FFXV.

Turin

Banned
It would be really cool if he was cast as Bugenhagen.

Yep, agreed. I see no issue what so ever for Fort Condor, honestly Im scratching my head as to why anyone would think that of all areas would be a problem. The art style fits fine with it. The mini-game will be super easy to convert into the new style, and using other tower defence games as examples will probably make it better. Even the Phoenix hatching will fit fine into the art style.

And you have consider how it's going to look while approaching it in the remake. It's going to be freaking huge.

The only spot I'm having a hard time imagining how they'll adapt is The Golden Saucer.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Part of the problem in making the character models too realistic (i.e. Advent Children) is that a lot of the set pieces in the actual game wouldn't seem to fit in that world. They worked because the game was cartoony/unrealistic. People mention the honeybee inn, but there are soooo many moments in FF7 where I would have trouble imagining them if the world and characters were lifelike. I wish they had just gone for a look more like kingdom hearts 3 rather than FFXV.

I somewhat agree, while KH's is still too cartooney for me, a more 90's anime look would have been better, as it would keep it more in line with its heritage.

Two Words

It would be really cool if he was cast as Bugenhagen.

And you have consider how it's going to look while approaching it in the remake. It's going to be freaking huge.

The only spot I'm having a hard time imagining how they'll adapt is The Golden Saucer.
Easy. You play the games like usual, but they use an HD chibi model since it's supposed to be you in a game.

OmegaDL50

This can't be true? They don't have the greatest track record to be given such an important project... then again they did make Tail Concerto (for PS1) and Solatorobo (for DS), both of which are absolute gems.

They did the .hack PS2 RPG series, both of them. So that is something of consideration.

Cid's the only voice I had a problem with in the FFVII Compilation. Didn't care for his southern accent. When I read for Cid all those years ago, I figured he'd have a more gruff, hoarse voice with no real accent.

Turin

Banned
I expect they'll stick with Cid's southern accent but hopefully a bit straighter and more gravely.

I also expect Red XIII's accent to remain the same but I want him to sound like a bit more of a beast.

I expect they'll stick with Cid's southern accent but hopefully a bit straighter and more gravely.

I also expect Red XIII's accent to remain the same but I want him to sound like a bit more of a beast.

Honestly, in my head I had a more well spoken voice for Red XIII that clashes with his appearance.

If it's developed by CC2 then it's going to be handled like a Dragon Quest game. DQ games have always been outsourced with the exception of DQX. Every other one has been made by Heartbeat, Level 5 or Chunsoft. The twist is that while they develop them, Yuji Horii's studio (Armor Project) handles that game design. So those companies are largely just in charge of coding the games. From Square's perspective this would be a good idea because their studios obviously have their hands full right now.

I agree. I just imagined his tone would be lower than it was in AC.

Of course we only got one line of dialogue and I'm sure he'll growl from time to time. lol

I agree with that, I was expecting it to be lower than it was.
I can't wait for the shinra ship infiltration lol

Pagusas

Elden Member
What should we consider the primary FF7 thread on gaf, this one or the one with the horrible horrible title about complaining.

Koozek

Just revive Aeris please thx. Lol.

doc-rivers.gif

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Has it been confirmed that Square outsourced development to CyberConnect2?

Not confirmed at all(most likely this winter), but i'd say its the likeliest rumor we've had yet, all the offhand evidence is piling up, so i would not be surprised at all. CC2 does great work.

They are probably some of the best in Japan in regards to cinematography, real time cutscene rendering and using established engines. They also have practice with RPGs of their own.

I'm 90% confident FF7 is UE4, CC2 developed in some fashion, and most likely aiming for 2017 release.

butman

I hope they're using Unreal Engine 4.

Perhaps Ito will make good use of Luminous when he directs Final Fantasy XVI. *fingers crossed*

With VII-R on the table and the time it takes to develop a FF game, i really doubt if we will see XVI this gen. Hope i'm wrong.

-Ryn

Banned
Not confirmed at all(most likely this winter), but i'd say its the likeliest rumor we've had yet, all the offhand evidence is piling up, so i would not be surprised at all. CC2 does great work.

They are probably some of the best in Japan in regards to cinematography, real time cutscene rendering and using established engines. They also have practice with RPGs of their own.

I'm 90% confident FF7 is UE4, CC2 developed in some fashion, and most likely aiming for 2017 release.
God I hope not

It could be Bugenhagen for all we know. I mean the voice has a sagely old man quality to it.

I don't think it's Sephiroth, although it could be, but I don't expect him to have a voice that gruff.

I know for a fact it's David Lodge, who did Jiraiya in the Naruto series.

I figured it was Vincent. Or was that already ruled out?

With VII-R on the table and the time it takes to develop a FF game, i really doubt if we will see XVI this gen. Hope i'm wrong.

If this game is being working on by CC2 then I don't think it has any bearing on a possible FFXVI.
I'm still hopeful that a different game, originally planned to be called FFXV, has been in development this whole time and will be announced after FFXV releases as FFXVI.

God I hope not
Why?

Square2015

If this game is being working on by CC2 then I don't think it has any bearing on a possible FFXVI.
I'm still hopeful that a different game, originally planned to be called FFXV, has been in development this whole time and will be announced after FFXV releases as FFXVI.

Well there's Agnis Philosophy, I've just assumed that is or will become the FFXVI project. Have we heard anything to the contrary?

-Ryn

Banned
I'm paranoid when it comes to "special" release dates. Too many games have been screwed because the devs or publishers wanted to rush it out in time. Given the scale of this game alone, I just want them to take their time with this game. If it takes 4-5 years then I'm fine with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom