• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortune: Nintendo started talking to 3rd parties at E3 about NX; reception positive

This together with Takeda's comments about not being able to "just think about Japan" might be seen as positive indicators that they may be looking to shake things up a bit.

Yet, Iwata himself has recently reiterated that they do not intend to compete w/ MS and Sony in a race to the bottom. If they launch a comparably specced system, there's just no way they will be able to compete on price of hardware of depth of library.

Nintendo have no choice but to put together a small ~$199 box. It may be insane, but with the bold talk coming out of Kyoto about "not just throwing money out the toilet" I think they might jump into the digital storefront 100%, making them even less a competitor to MS and Sony in the eyes of consumers.

Looking at AMD's die sizes at 28nm, and figuring in a shrink down to 14nm/16nm, I can't see them fitting in more than 320 shaders or a .5 TFLOP class machine. That is if they want to keep die size and power draw around Wii U-level. Low power it is!

They wil go the low to mid power route again but with an important change - i am almost certain they will ditch the optical drive this time. This will have a huge impact in cost and the overall design of the machine. Retail is still important to them so they won´t abandon it. Might be a mix out of dowloadstations straight from the NES era (they love old ideas) for the handheld, cartridges or just keycards sold in stores with a manual (which they already do). Abandoning the optical drive will give them room to expand on the power side - not expecting something spectacular of course but beating PS4 tech shoudln´t be too hard in 2016. Heck it wasn´t even hard in 2012.

Terrell

This is blocked at work. Do you mind posting an excerpt?

There was a time when Nintendo of America was the biggest, baddest shark of them all, and software developers and retailers were genuinely afraid of the House of Mario.

From bringing on both Rareware and Retro Studios as second parties to defending Nintendo during the videogame violence Senate hearings in the early 90s, Lincoln wasn't afraid to take risks. He also wasn't afraid to speak his mind -- some of his words regarding the competition were so brutal that you can still feel the scorch marks years later. Could his actions be part of the reason many third parties became wary of working with Nintendo later on? Possibly, but you can't deny that the man got results.

During the videogame violence Senate hearings -- sparked in part by the 1992's Mortal Kombat and resulting in the formation of the Entertainment Software Rating Board -- Lincoln took the opportunity to deflect focus away from Nintendo and onto SEGA and retailers that stocked SEGA product. In the above video clip, he held up the infamous SEGA CD title Night Trap as an example of an adult game directly sold to youths. SEGA was furious that Lincoln would be so petty and self-serving during a period when the entire industry needed to band together.

Lincoln was not bothered, and he even wrote a poem directed towards then-SEGA president Tom Kalinske: "Dear Tom, Roses are red, violets are blue, so you had a bad day, boo hoo hoo hoo. All my best, Howard."

Yeah, he was a fucking prick. Literally dragged retailers and Sega through the mud in front of the government while painting Nintendo as saintly purveyors of all things innocent. Hence, responsible for the kiddie mentality at Nintendo, along with likely being the one to invoke and enforce censorship of games prior to the ESRB forming, when they went all out as soon as they had a rating to hide behind. That alone makes him the worst thing that ever happened to Nintendo of America.

And no one could do anything to curb his bullshit, because Arakawa and Yamauchi liked him. I'm purely speculating, but I begin to suspect that Lincoln retired because he knew Yamauchi was leaving and didn't have anyone with enough sway to hide behind when his house of cards started falling down.

Maggots

Banned
It would be dumb if they weren't talking behind the scenes with devs. about future hardware or future platforms rather.

I really hope they can appease the needs of all developers... I'd love to have a reason to sell my PS4

They wil go the low to mid power route again but with an important change - i am almost certain they will ditch the optical drive this time. This will have a huge impact in cost and the overall design of the machine. Retail is still important to them so they won´t abandon it. Might be a mix out of dowloadstations straight from the NES era (they love old ideas) for the handheld, cartridges or just keycards sold in stores with a manual (which they already do). Abandoning the optical drive will give them room to expand on the power side - not expecting something spectacular of course but beating PS4 tech shoudln´t be too hard in 2016. Heck it wasn´t even hard in 2012.

I see it as being a competitor to FireTV but slightly larger and w/ higher performance (maybe 2x Wii U). With the prices on 16nm/14nm chips being higher than 28nm, I do not think Nintendo will be in any position to compete w/ Sony/MS machines. At most, they match them and at the same price. That's the unfortunate market reality w/ semiconductors. It's not like the Gamecube/PS2 era where there were vastly different architectures/efficiencies and Nintendo could benefit from a cheaper node.

So if by Holiday 2016, Xbone is down to $299, NX needs to launch at $199. That's just the start to success. In reality, they would be competing w/ 2 established libraries and very late in the game at that. Nintendo don't need to Dreamcast-leap the 2 current-gen twins. Dreamcast still failed, remember! But if Nintendo can work up this OS and keep hardware costs reasonable, they can time another minor hardware refresh for 2018/2019. A "new" NX. Rinse and repeat after another 2 years. They might never "catch up," or they might decide to release a more capable system eventually if the OS really takes off and 3rd parties start coming back around.

Zero²

Well I personally dont mind a digital only future, I buy everything digital since retail doesnt exist here anyway, and the import copies are so expensive I dont see any reason to not go digital.

Zero²;170457077 said:
Well I personally dont mind a digital only future, I buy everything digital since retail doesn't exist here anyway, and the import copies are so expensive I dont see any reason to not go digital.

I have seen numbers cited that show digital purchases are only certain (small) percentage of overall purchases, but what if that were the only choice consumers had? Would overall sales decline or would digital purchases pick up the slack?

A large number of the retail sales Nintendo got w/ handhelds/Wii were licensed games--even now, all Wii U gets are Lego games. With the downfall of the licensed games model (and companies like THQ, who subsisted off it), there is less and less of parents simply walking into the store to just buy a random (cheap) game for the kids.

I also notice many people suggesting the reliance on "carts." Nintendo need to at least appear that they are a modern company. Game Cards need to become a thing of the past, and I am sure parents would agree when the things end up strewn about and lost. They also eat into profit margins, especially of third parties. Nintendo 3DS is a fairly successful platform, and yet Nintendo themselves are needed to publish riskier games like Bravely Default. Phoenix Wright 5 is download only. This should tell you something about the Game Card business. Yes, it makes sense for some games to be physically sitting on a shelf, but there are alternatives now (NFC, download codes, stations, etc), and if Nintendo can successfully drive consumers to its online store (which they are intent on making accessible on mobile, PC, etc), why not cut out the additional risk/cost?

Again, this will not be an easy process. Iwata has stated as such, but it is one they must take in order to be relevant in the modern media/electronics market.

I have seen numbers cited that show digital purchases are only certain (small) percentage of overall purchases, but what if that were the only choice consumers had? Would overall sales decline or would digital purchases pick up the slack?

A large number of the retail sales Nintendo got w/ handhelds/Wii were licensed games--even now, all Wii U gets are Lego games. With the downfall of the licensed games model (and companies like THQ, who subsisted off it), there is less and less of parents simply walking into the store to just buy a random (cheap) game for the kids.

I also notice many people suggesting the reliance on "carts." Nintendo need to at least appear that they are a modern company. Game Cards need to become a thing of the past, and I am sure parents would agree when the things end up strewn about and lost. They also eat into profit margins, especially of third parties. Nintendo 3DS is a fairly successful platform, and yet Nintendo themselves are needed to publish riskier games like Bravely Default. Phoenix Wright 5 is download only. This should tell you something about the Game Card business. Yes, it makes sense for some games to be physically sitting on a shelf, but there are alternatives now (NFC, download codes, stations, etc), and if Nintendo can successfully drive consumers to its online store (which they are intent on making accessible on mobile, PC, etc), why not cut out the additional risk/cost?

Again, this will not be an easy process. Iwata has stated as such, but it is one they must take in order to be relevant in the modern media/electronics market.

All good points, and I think it's worth bearing in mind how quickly consumers have switched to digital-only on phones and tablets. Of course Nintendo have other obstacles - they rely heavily on retail for getting their hardware into the hands of users, their digital ecosystem/account setup isn't as robust or as easy to use as iOS/Android equivalents etc. - but there doesn't appear to be a huge obstacle with all-digital with their traditional audience of families/children.

ozfunghi

It's not that Nintendo don't want to compete. They just don't want to compete in the AAA "mature" scene that MS/Sony have effectively claimed. There are a myriad of developers who would yet be interested in making games for a Nintendo box if it offered a feasible market and was easy to program for. Even publishers like Activision and EA make games for all audiences that don't require high specs.

And yet, what you're discribing is clearly not going to happen. Steering clear of the AAA scene, while offering underpowered hardware that yet somehow manages to create a feasable market for 3rd parties. Look at WiiU. What you're discribing might have worked on the Wii, but that market is gone.

I'm a pc gamer, I'm sure most people who want 3rd party games that are multiplatform won't be buying those games on Nintendo's console, their best option is to create a successful handheld again and have a shared development pipeline with the console to get 3rd party support from a strong handheld being targeted rather than putting out any high spec box which gamers who buy it won't be buying 3rd party multiplats on anyways.

I guarantee that Sony and Microsoft would put out more powerful boxes anyways, even if Nintendo put 10tflops in a box, Sony and Microsoft would put out something that dwarfed it, as they are coming out years later and they have created a market that is brand agnostic anyways and simply want the more powerful machine. (that is what happens when you create twins)

I'm not saying that putting out a powerful box will magically solve their problems. I'm saying that putting out a weak box that can theoretically get downports from an old system is certainly not going to solve their problems.

Kuni

I do hope the positivity isn't only in comaprsion - "Well at least it's not as bad as the Wii U!"

Ninty only have to prevent me from making this face. Good luck!

enhanced-4615-1407960875-8.png

Schnozberry

I think Nintendo will end up having some kind of physical medium, but I hope they incentivize people to go digital somehow. I think they'd have a revolt on their hands if they completely bypassed the used games market and physical media, especially in the US. A different strategy may work in other regions, but I must plead ignorance on consumer preferences in those areas.

Rodin

How do you guys see the xbone/ps4 pricing come then? does seem to be far more aggressive price cutting this time around.
I don't think Sony needs to cut the price of the PS4 as the demand is very high, and i don't see the situation getting worse to the point that they'll need to cut it down significantly, especially considering that many best seller titles are not even out for the system yet. They could get away with some nice bundles with the most hyped games and/or a cut to 350$ at most. Microsoft is a different story, and they will probably have the Xbox One for 299$ with 1-2 games in 2017.

I see it as being a competitor to FireTV but slightly larger and w/ higher performance (maybe 2x Wii U). With the prices on 16nm/14nm chips being higher than 28nm, I do not think Nintendo will be in any position to compete w/ Sony/MS machines. At most, they match them and at the same price. That's the unfortunate market reality w/ semiconductors. It's not like the Gamecube/PS2 era where there were vastly different architectures/efficiencies and Nintendo could benefit from a cheaper node.

So if by Holiday 2016, Xbone is down to $299, NX needs to launch at $199. That's just the start to success. In reality, they would be competing w/ 2 established libraries and very late in the game at that. Nintendo don't need to Dreamcast-leap the 2 current-gen twins. Dreamcast still failed, remember! But if Nintendo can work up this OS and keep hardware costs reasonable, they can time another minor hardware refresh for 2018/2019. A "new" NX. Rinse and repeat after another 2 years. They might never "catch up," or they might decide to release a more capable system eventually if the OS really takes off and 3rd parties start coming back around.
199 is too low and would create internal competition with the portable, this could work only with the PSV-PSV TV model proposed by Y2Kev (i think it was him) but i'm not sure the model as a whole would appeal to the masses (we have two precedents and their results are not exactly encouraging). Imho the prices will be around 179 for the portable and 269 for the home. Like i said, they can have a nice, small and low powered box (just not as low powered as the Wii U) with a 1TFLOP GPU, HBM RAM and cartridges for that price, that would be a much more appealing system both for gamers at D1 with the right software and for third parties if it sells well (ports would be quick and cheap). I agree with the rest of what you said.

Zero²

Well here on Brazil Nintendo simply packed things up and went home. Retail for nintendo is dead here outside of a few importers. I doubt the numbers are very high or if Nintendo is tracking them at all, but I've seen people buying WiiUs for their kids a while back.
It's not like it changes a damn, because almost everyone here bought games from the canadian eshop anyway, since they are incredibly more cheap than buying in our overtaxed and naturally expensive retail.
Besides I find it more convenient, I bought SM3DW and some Wii games on retail for example, but having to change discs is much more of a bother than just starting Splatoon from the quickstart menu and get over with.

As a whole I think it would be a shame to see Nintendo completely abandon retail like they did here, specially because of things like Amiibo. But I dont think that was ever in the cards worldwide, plus they said they intend to come back here eventually.
And yet, what you're discribing is clearly not going to happen. Steering clear of the AAA scene, while offering underpowered hardware that yet somehow manages to create a feasable market for 3rd parties. Look at WiiU. What you're discribing might have worked on the Wii, but that market is gone.
Well the WiiU might not be the best example, specially how being underpowered was the least of it's problems.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Fourth, what's the exact quote from Iwata where he talks about the retail market so much that you think they'll go full digital next gen? Honest question: I don't remember about it. XD

Eteric Rice

$279 console, $179 handheld would be best. They should both share the same games, but have individual features for which ever you decide to play on.

Neoxon

I cant wait to see how wrong the collective masses here are when we find out what NX truly is. One thing we should know by now... Nintendo isn't predictable and usually when you think you know you have no idea.
I'd love to be wrong about the cheap, underpowered Nintendo Box. But I'm trying to keep my expectations in check to avoid disappointment.

That would depend on how powerful the console in question is.

It doesn't. Over $250 is if you expect your console to be everyone's first choice. It will not be anyone's first choice, there simply won't be the library of games available for it for that to happen.

Just because something's powerful doesn't mean the market is willing to pay whatever for it, otherwise the Vita would have smashed the 3DS's face in. There has to be consistent, quality games, which is impossible from one publisher.

Ryoku

$350 console is a death sentence.
Yet Sony and Microsoft get away with much more expensive consoles. It depends on what the appeal is. What does Nintendo have to offer, and will it be worth the price? The odds are against them, sure. But saying what you just said without some context isn't really saying much.

One thing's for sure, though. The Wii U's offerings at $350 were definitely not what the market was looking for.

Nightbird

Yeah, he was a fucking prick. Literally dragged retailers and Sega through the mud in front of the government while painting Nintendo as saintly purveyors of all things innocent. Hence, responsible for the kiddie mentality at Nintendo, along with likely being the one to invoke and enforce censorship of games prior to the ESRB forming, when they went all out as soon as they had a rating to hide behind. That alone makes him the worst thing that ever happened to Nintendo of America.

And no one could do anything to curb his bullshit, because Arakawa and Yamauchi liked him. I'm purely speculating, but I begin to suspect that Lincoln retired because he knew Yamauchi was leaving and didn't have anyone with enough sway to hide behind when his house of cards started falling down.

Holy shit. Nobody would dare to do stuff like that today.

Yet Sony and Microsoft get away with much more expensive consoles.

I figured this would be clear, but

$350 Nintendo console is a death sentence.

People view consoles as investments at that price. The Wii U did not pay dividends to the vast, vast majority of the audience.

The Wii U would have done a lot better if they could trojan horse it into people's homes and then sell them games. But the system was too expensive to make, thus they couldn't drop the price, and the only place that wooden horse stayed was store shelves.

There is no reason at all, at all, to assume this will change in one generation.

Xiao Hu

Lincoln was not bothered, and he even wrote a poem directed towards then-SEGA president Tom Kalinske: "Dear Tom, Roses are red, violets are blue, so you had a bad day, boo hoo hoo hoo. All my best, Howard.

That arse dared to say that to Kalinske? :mad:

Terrell

Holy shit. Nobody would dare to do stuff like that today.

Nope. And Lincoln's example is probably half the reason why Nintendo doesn't have someone at NoA aggressively pursue Western partnerships like that autonomously or give them much autonomy at all. The damage Lincoln has done has made such a steep uphill battle for Nintendo that it's likely left them skittish. Hence why Dan Adelman, the indie advocate at NoA, moved on shortly after running his mouth on Twitter. At the first sign of a Lincoln-esque personality, corporate worked to stifle him in the media and push him aside, because that's not how Iwata wants to conduct his business. It also explains the change in Reggie's tone: he learned how to play ball with corporate.

Ryoku

People view consoles as investments at that price. The Wii U did not pay dividends to the vast, vast majority of the audience.

The Wii U would have done a lot better if they could trojan horse it into people's homes and then sell them games. But the system was too expensive to make, thus they couldn't drop the price, and the only place that wooden horse stayed was store shelves.

There is no reason at all, at all, to assume this will change in one generation.

Fair points. But moving aside from the cost speculation, what do you feel would be worthwhile offerings from NX for a reasonable price?

It doesn't have to be about power, but I do believe that even if third parties developed games and made ports for NX, the market would not move to the system because they can play the same games on the PS4 with better performance and visuals for the same price. Perhaps it could be assumed that paying the lower price for the console justifies the inferior multiplats, but how is that a selling point? We know core Nintendo fans aren't enough to keep the company relevant. What do you suggest?

Linkhero1

Thanks for the summary. That's pretty harsh.

I think Nintendo will aim for:

$249 home console
$149 handheld console

These are the prices where they have seen the most success. And if they use modern parts, their ability to issue price cuts will be a viable option especially for the handheld. Part of the reason why the DS was so successful was because it dropped to $129 rather quickly.

I agree on this being the overall plan but i would still put it around at least 1,5 TF. Especially without an optical drive.

Maggots

Banned
Well, New 3DS can run Unity. It's got enough CPU oomph to do it now. How well remains to be seen.

Honestly I'd rather they use ARM for everything. You can definitely get some good performance-per-watt out of it. With a proper cooling solution, you could pump some juice into an ARM CPU. EDIT: Nevermind the bother that would be having to test your game across CPU architectures if they were to have an x86 (console) and ARM (handheld) split. I think the simpler the design the better.

Power VR chipsets are highly scalable... It's what runs the iphones and ipads

iphone6+ has 1080p screen res
ipads are even higher than that.

if they customize that chip set to fit their needs they'll have a highly scalable set for both a console and a handheld that uses the same architecture... throw a dual in a handheld and a quad in the console and you've got decently powered machines that can run U4 and have modern day shader pipelines and a million people already somewhat familiar with it. Could be beneficial to them.

Of course ... not using x86 could easily be as terrible as it could be great... you just never know.

I don't think price was the hurdle... VALUE was the hurdle... Nintendo could launch a $399 console if it had enough value. The fact is the Wii U was "lesser tech"... can't stream on twitch, no voice chat, doesn't record in the background, has dreadfully slow and clunky UI... and no User account based system.

It's not that $350 was too expensive, the system's value wasn't worth it to most people.

If all those issues were addressed and some Nintendo flair was added to the NX And it felt like the system had value... I'd pay $399 easy... again... it would need that Nintendo hook, and be able to compete in visuals and features... but I don't think price is an issue.

Nightbird

Nope. And Lincoln's example is probably half the reason why Nintendo doesn't have someone at NoA aggressively pursue Western partnerships like that autonomously or give them much autonomy at all. The damage Lincoln has done has made such a steep uphill battle for Nintendo that it's likely left them skittish. Hence why Dan Adelman, the indie advocate at NoA, moved on shortly after running his mouth on Twitter. At the first sign of a Lincoln-esque personality, corporate worked to stifle him in the media and push him aside, because that's not how Iwata wants to conduct his business. It also explains the change in Reggie's tone: he learned how to play ball with corporate.

Makes sense, even if it's awful.

Nintendo really needs to give NoA a Chance again. It's their most important Market after all

Instro

People are going to view it as an investment regardless due to the need to purchase software for the platform at $60 a pop. It seems unlikely to me that a price point of $50 or $100 cheaper on the WiiU would have saved it from its current situation.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
And Apple released Safari and iTunes for Windows, and now the Beats software for Android. I don't think it takes away from their main focuses - developing software for Apple hardware, anymore than some limited mobile titles makes Nintendo a mobile developer.
The Apple comparison is not a very apt one. Apple's greatest asset is their hardware and design. Nintendo's greatest assets are its development studios and its library of franchises.
If Nintendo's hardware fails to sell enough to justify remaining in the hardware manufacturing business, there's still a lot of money to be made from leveraging their assets. Nintendo aren't going to throw away the many millions they've invested in software development over the years just because they aren't able to keep alive their vision of being a software/hardware 'experience' company.
They'll answer the demand for their software. They are a publicly traded company after all.
What's the alternative? Dissolving the company? Risking their money on a transition to another industry with no guarantee of success?

This idea that Nintendo would go down with the ship rather than develop software without their own dedicated platform is utter nonsense.

jeffers

The Apple comparison is not a very apt one. Apple's greatest asset is their hardware and design. Nintendo's greatest assets are its development studios and its library of franchises.
If Nintendo's hardware fails to sell enough to justify remaining in the hardware manufacturing business, there's still a lot of money to be made from leveraging their assets. Nintendo aren't going to throw away the many millions they've invested in software development over the years just because they aren't able to keep alive their vision of being a software/hardware 'experience' company.
They'll answer the demand for their software. They are a publicly traded company after all.
What's the alternative? Dissolving the company? Risking their money on a transition to another industry with no guarantee of success?

This idea that Nintendo would go down with the ship rather than develop software without their own dedicated platform is utter nonsense.
Doesn't mean it won't bleed out its talent rapidly, lose the special culture. The company name would live on, but what's a name.

AniHawk

nintendo's development studio is wound rather closely to their hardware. more than just the hardware, the level of freedom it brings them in designing software. i'm pretty sure any company can sell off valuable names.

Top Bottom