• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best and/or most visually impressive boss fights in a 2D game

Dicer

Banned
For sure. That was an interesting time, when it was just Sega and Hudson vying for the 16-bit lead (yeah yeah PCE 8 bit). Ultimately though, the Mega Drive won out because it produced more faithful arcade ports. Also a 1989 release, Ghouls n' Ghosts featured an even bigger final boss that took up the entire screen.

hqdefault.jpg

Full screen bosses you say...

https://youtu.be/KtKUeSeXIOA?t=23m52s

https://youtu.be/KtKUeSeXIOA?t=8m32s

That's 2 examples from one game, there are literally a TON of full screen ships/bosses on the PCE

JackelZXA

Not gonna post screens, but the 8-bit Mega Man games had impressive bosses inside the fortresses/Wily castles. Giant robot baddies that took up a large portion of the screen. For 8-bit, it was pretty damn cool.

Also, Totally Rad had some cool bosses as well.

TRboss.png

Hell yeah Totally Rad. Someone knows! *turns into a bird guy and flies to the top of the screen*

Full screen bosses you say...

https://youtu.be/KtKUeSeXIOA?t=23m52s

https://youtu.be/KtKUeSeXIOA?t=8m32s

That's 2 examples from one game, there are literally a TON of full screen ships/bosses on the PCE

I was commenting on the early years of that generation, '87-'89 when both systems were making their early impressions. But you're right, screen-filling bosses was the thing magazines raved about during that time, with the amount of colors/sprites or background scaling being the eye-grabbers. I always get a kick out of how magazines wrote about graphics in those days.

Krejlooc

Banned
I had the Genesis version and loved it to bits, so I doubted your statement initially. Imagine my surprise when I found out how good the Super Grafx version is!

Here's an interesting comparison video

Most ports of it are actually really good. I have the terrific C64 and Amiga ports as well. The best version is the Capcom Generations version on the saturn, but man the Super Grafx version is right there with it. Really, really solid port.

EDIT: That vide only concentrates on level 1. Level 2 has enormous differences, the genesis version seems really gimped when comparing that level.

nkarafo

The SuperGrafx, however, was more powerful than both Genesis and TurboGrafx/PC Engine. So it should be a more impressive port.

Krejlooc

Banned
The SuperGrafx, however, was more powerful than both Genesis and TurboGrafx/PC Engine. So it should be a more impressive port.

No it wasn't. The Super grafx has a minor revision to the HuC6280 CPU from the PC Engine, but it's still the same poor 8-bit CPU as before, with the exact same limiting opcode set (as an example, the 6280 lacks a division opcode).

The main difference between the Super Grafx and the PC Engine is that the Super Grafx has one additional background layer (giving it a total of two, compared to the one for the PC Engine). This lets it do parallax scrolling without resorting to inturrupt polling (and all the obvious downsides that brings), but it still has less hardware layers than the genesis (2 background layers, plus a window layer).

The Genesis is still, overall, a much more capable machine than the Super Grafx. It's just that the Super Grafx had a better port of Ghouls n Ghosts, due mainly to the rom size for the Super Grafx port being nearly twice that of the Genesis port.

Peltz

I've always thought that Treasure and Platinum have a bit in common. But Treasure really goes all out with its bizarre control schemes that are so uniquely "Treasure". Platinum sort of succeeds them in spirit though.

Krejlooc

Banned
I hear ya, pal.

a2613759215_10.jpg

Actually, turrican 2 did get a huge graphical update when it came to the PC. Every sprite and tile in the game was completely redrawn.

not as awesome as the picture above, however. But the ground in the pic above and the ground in the PC remake look very similar.

SnowTeeth

Banned
Awesome thread.

Yoshi's Island - Raphael

Yoshi's Island was another all-time 2D classic that had its fair share of memorable boss fights. Much like Gunstar Heroes did on the Genesis, Yoshi's Island made use of the Super-FX2 chip to power advanced sprite transformation techniques like scaling and rotation to enhance the visual spectacle of its bosses. The fight that always struck me as exceedingly clever for its time was the fight with Raphael on the tiny moon. In essence, this fight foreshadowed the planetoid mechanics of the Galaxy games, only in 2D.

I may have read this wrong, but this seems to imply that Gunstar Heroes uses an add-on chip to help it display it's wonderful graphics. I always thought that was stock hardware being used, or isn't it?

popyea

Neogeo cannot rotate individual sprites. The "rotation" you are seeing are individial frames of animation.

They're not redrawn is the point. Metal slug is still full of amazing animation and art design though. Animation of the Metal Slug tank is itself extremely memorable and a great example of the game's inventive animation.

Nerrel

I'm almost ashamed that no one has mentioned Super Metroid. Almost any random boss fight from the game fits the bill.

082510_samusridley_obs04--article_image.jpg

Kraid was a huge sprite for the time. He's a little easy for an experienced player, but his fight is still pretty fun.

Ridley was in his best form in the game- he looked like a demonic cross between a dragon and with Ridley Scott's alien. The verticality in his fight completely shifts the playing field towards the boss, not the player, and really tests your wall jumping abilities.

What's great is that Samus' huge range of abilities means that you often have alternate ways to attack. Draygon offers 3 totally different ways to take him down (this being the coolest):
latest

Every boss from that game is a classic.

Odin Sphere

I think all of the batch of final bosses on Odin Sphere can be included on this thread, but my entry will be leventhan, not the best image, but this boss is so big that you must climb him to reach his head...

Chrono Trigger

Chono trigger for me it´s the pinnacle of snes and sprite games, so i'll just post these two examples

Illusion of Gaia

Playing Quintet games for the first time made me stumble on this very interesting and weird game, and the final boss didnt dissapoint.

I dont think a still image translate well why this boss was so impressive so here is a link

Super Metroid

Another favorite of mine, one of my favorite things in the game was the suspense of when entering a boss room, and you trying to figure what it would be like from the enviroment... Combining that it's a gorgeous 2d game and the alien influences....

ScOULaris

Awesome thread.

I may have read this wrong, but this seems to imply that Gunstar Heroes uses an add-on chip to help it display it's wonderful graphics. I always thought that was stock hardware being used, or isn't it?

Nah, I just worded it poorly. I just meant that both games used advanced sprite manipulation techniques like scaling, stretching, segmenting... etc. for their time. Gunstar Heroes did not use any extra hardware embedded in the cartridge.

452302-contra_iii___the_alien_wars041.png

This thing from Contra III was fairly cool for its time. I think it uses multiple sprites and a background layer Mode 7'nd.
I'm pretty sure the "wobble" effect on that boss is not Mode 7. The SNES supported a "Mosaic" effect for background layers for a "zoom in" look. Early games in particular used this for screen transitions and such (think Super Mario World), it's also used if you're trying to use a spell in Final Fantasy IV's menu and it's not possible for whatever reason.

It showed up less in games released later in the SNES's life cycle, I suspect developers felt it was overused.

Justinh

Contra Hard Corps

tumblr_n5fuv7PQLo1s9677oo1_r2_500.gif
This is what popped into my mind.
um, party hard...
Treasure's best game ever. Seriously, as someone who owns their entire catalog, nothing comes close to Alien Soldier. The greatest 2D action game ever made.

Oh..OH! I don't think I ever heard of this game before, and I certainly didn't know they made it.

This thread made me realize that I actually have the steam version. I think I'll give it a try later today.

jett

D-Member
I'm pretty sure the "wobble" effect on that boss is not Mode 7. The SNES supported a "Mosaic" effect for background layers for a "zoom in" look. Early games in particular used this for screen transitions and such (think Super Mario World), it's also used if you're trying to use a spell in Final Fantasy IV's menu and it's not possible for whatever reason.

It showed up less in games released later in the SNES's life cycle, I suspect developers felt it was overused.

Huh, that's interesting, thanks.

Top Bottom