• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major Nelson Strikes Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hip Hop

Some people may not enjoy it because they just think it's not funny, or too cheesy, or had bad acting, or they hate Star Wars, or they don't like the cinematography, or they dislike AC Bongos, or they don't like AC Slater, or they hate everything........ Blaming it on their dislike of you or Microsoft or Xbox seems like a leap...
That's why he said some, not all. And yeah, I agree with him. You can definitely sense it in Microsoft/Xbox threads.

Footos22

I'm a older gamer gamer as is MN, if you watch some of his playthroughs hes quite good, better then me. its okay to be a older gamer or think this video is cool. Gaming for me doesn't stop when I hit 50, 60 or 70. We actually have gaffers in all three ranges, but I won't call them out.

His determination trying to beat aceybongos score in geometry wars 3 was what made me buy it to see if I could beat him. Ive never played geometry wars before. On my first go I beat him by 40 million.

Hes not good.

Honestly this is pretty true of some people on this site. I have no idea why people have something against someone they've never met or the idea if having PR guys. Anyways Major, I've always enjoyed your stuff. You should post more often.

I think it's respectable you are acknowledging all the hate to be honest. If you didn't some might say you are "just a robotic PR guy".

people don't hate it because it's Microsoft or have a problem with him.

I hated it because it's cringe inducing. It never reached so bad it's good territory

Toki767

Xbox UK were the same people doing the Destiny fragrance ad right?

Considering they were the ones who did this too it doesn't seem like much of a stretch to say that this was meant to be an ad first and fun second.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Some people may not enjoy it because they just think it's not funny, or too cheesy, or had bad acting, or they hate Star Wars, or they don't like the cinematography, or they dislike AC Bongos, or they don't like AC Slater, or they hate everything........ Blaming it on their dislike of you or Microsoft or Xbox seems like a leap...

Err, he said some of those who hate it is because they are biased, not all of the ones that hate it.
How did you get to that?!

CoG

yes because making an ad and putting it on the UK xbox channel which is currently just above 70k subscribers is really gonna bring in those sales...

Yeah, they'll save that for the "Buy an Xbox One, get a free game, any game" sale the week Star Wars Battlefront ships.

xbonerainywindow.jpg

kyser73

Video was whatever but it's striking to me how different the new Microsoft is. The Satya era of MS has way more in common with the Shu era of PlayStation than it has uncommon. The fact that neither company is running their products like they're living out a Harvard Business Review case study is very encouraging indeed.

For us Enterprise users MS is still MS - and in fact is more Gates-era MS with some of the deep ties in the stack between W10 & Server...but I digress into areas konsole kids know little of...

This video makes me think 'cool teacher' for some reason, but whatever, you can't ascribe a culture change across a whole corporation the size of MS from one wacky piece of what used to be called guerrilla marketing by a single regional division of a small part of MS' overall portfolio.

jayu26

This thread delivered big time.

Statham has to be the biggest masochist to keep making threads that go in this direction.

kyser73

yes because making an ad and putting it on the UK xbox channel which is currently just above 70k subscribers is really gonna bring in those sales...

Viral marketing or whatever it's called these days.

Produced cheaply, spread for nothing over forums by brand ambassadors/MVPs/fan people & they reach and audience far in excess of subbed channel numbers on YT and for a fraction of the cost of both producing & buying airtime on TV.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Summary of threads where Major posts. lol

vbew42.gif

Checks Sony threads, pretty much peaceful and happy. Check Microsoft thread, disgusting.

This thread does have a strange vibe to it. Most "funny youtube video" threads are just full of reactions but some posters are taking the negative responses personally.

Also a "I am your father" joke in 2015 is pretty cringe inducing.

I know im a junior, but whats with the serious anger in this thread. Its a silly commercial, its harmless, funny or stupid it shouldnt be inciting this kind of reaction to be honest lol

Fat4all

Banned

Marketing works differently on the internet.

It doesn't depend on the base subscriptions, it depends on the evangelicals like statham to spread the word. Nintendo's been doing it for years, and Sony started doing it majorly towards the end of the PS3 and all of the PS4.

It's ain't a new thing.

SegaShack

people don't hate it because it's Microsoft or have a problem with him.

I hated it because it's cringe inducing. It never reached so bad it's good territory
I'm not talking about this video, just the PR hate that I have seen on here before. As long as someone isn't lying or being a viral marketer or something I don't see an issue with PR.

Didn't say that trust me woof whatever the shitty microsoft threads far outweigh the shitty Sony ones. Dont play stupid.

I'm not playing stupid. Negative xbox threads came at a time when xbox did some stupid shit. Like all of the near release E3 decisions that they back pedaled on specifically due to fan reaction, the indie game fiasco, and even the tomb raider issue.

I don't frequent gaming side so often i can give you statistics, but if I see a negative thread/comment here nowadays it tends to be about PS + not being worth it, PS4 not having any more exclusives till 2016, PSN shitty download speeds/service, making fun of stability updates, the Shenmue 3 publishing issue, etc...

Microsoft had their gamescom conference and that seemed to have received largely positive reviews.

I am not going to ignore that within the new generation that MS has been an easy target, but nothing I've seen was unwarranted.

Hugstable

Banned
Checks Sony threads, pretty much peaceful and happy. Check Microsoft thread, disgusting.

I don't think too many xbox fans post around here anymore. Probably why this thread is mostly filled with those you would see in Sony topics. I mean would you really want to post here when every topic basically devolves into this?

Declasse. Microsoft's desperate need to circumvent these exclusive marketing deals is pretty gross. Last gen Sony never lowered themselves to trying to do an end run around Microsoft's contracts.

Luminaire

I know im a junior, but whats with the serious anger in this thread. Its a silly commercial, its harmless, funny or stupid it shouldnt be inciting this kind of reaction to be honest lol

Console wars must be taken completely seriously. Stand up for whats right and never let anyone disrespect your plastic video game box on the internet.

I don't think too many xbox fans post around here anymore. Probably why this thread is mostly filled with those you would see in Sony topics. I mean would you really want to post here when every topic basically devolves into this?

Being somebody who owns all three consoles, I am not going to not complain when one of the big three does something shitty. And there's enough of a community to survive OTs and shit. Sunset Overdrive OT had plenty of activity when that came out

Fat4all

Banned
Declasse. Microsoft's desperate need to circumvent these exclusive marketing deals is pretty gross. Last gen Sony never lowered themselves to trying to do an end run around Microsoft's contracts.

Well, they didn't go after specific marketing deals. I do remember their Kevin Butler ads making fun of the competition, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom