• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One really does take a long time to install games.

chalex010

Banned
:lol get the fuck outta here with that bullshit.

While he is almost certainly wrong that the full install was done in that time, I've never had a disc based game take more than 60 seconds to be playable from the time the disc went into the system. Whether or not the install is complete at that point is totally moot.

As far as downloads go the system seems to severely throttle the download speed if the system is on (presumably to not degrade the experience if you are playing a game online or streaming video), but I normally put my system in standby after initiating a download. I can't recall any times a game has taken more than 30 minutes to be playable or more than 2 hours to be fully installed using this method.

shanafan

Why are people not understanding that he is just talking about being able to play the game in 30 seconds and not a full install?

When the word "installed" is used, I'm taking that as the game was installed. Perhaps some clarification is needed, unless it was already mentioned.

shanafan

I think the process has now become much more intelligent in the sense that whatever gets initially installed provides a complete experience or so I felt.

AFAIK, Arkham Knight on PS4 was ready to start quick, but I sat at the main menu screen in the game because it wasn't ready to start the campaign yet because it was still installing. This was just a few months ago.

Gestault

Based on the first page or so, I'm seeing some confuse installing from a disc to installing a large content patch, and not comparing the same game for different platforms when sharing an anecdote. I haven't been a fan of the mandatory installs on XB1 this gen. I thought that was a strength of the 360 last time around (few mandatory installs, all optional installs). All that said, the XB1 installs haven't seemed dramatically longer for straight-from-disc.

Quikies83

Why are people not understanding that he is just talking about being able to play the game in 30 seconds and not a full install?
His post says "and it installed in like 30 secs".
I don't understand how else I should've interpreted that with what he typed.
I see now but the verbiage is off.

TAS

The install from disc on the Xbox are bad, like reaaaaalllllyyy bad.

Phil mentioned on Twitter about a year ago it was something the engineers were looking into, hope they found what they were looking for.

I hope so too. It's the only complaint I have about the hardware.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
I was having a bad time at first when I first got my XB1 a few months ago, but it turns out it was all due to the patch portion downloading at 1MB/sec. After a few weeks, my downloads on XB1 started moving at 45MB/sec, which is about 900% faster than my PS4 downloads.

Needless to say, my complaints about XB1 install/patch times vanished and now I'm annoyed whenever I have to patch or download anything on Sony's system.

Bought an XboxOne and wanted to play Gears tonight. Fat chance, going to take almost 5 hours. Worst part is it's been telling me it's ready to start for 2 hours. No it's not.

My roommate bought an Xbox One today, it's been five hours since we started installing the Master Chief Collection and it is still only 90% done. I can't even comprehend why it takes so long.

I will say, it's great to play Halo: CE's campaign again, couch co-op with a modern console.

Disconnect from live. Install from disk. Reconnect to live. Download updates/patches.

No game has ever taken more than 1 hour for a fresh install for me, including TMCC. If it takes longer, then your internet is probably slow and those patches to these games are huge nowadays (20gb day one patch, for instance).

I don't think the Gears patch was bigger than a few GBs, so I have no idea why it took you 5 hours. Unless Xbox Live was busted at the time you were downloading the patch.
Yeah wasn't sure if it was an XboxOne thing I should get used to coming off of decent speeds on my PS4.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
The Bone takes quite a bit longer from my experiences. Halo is bad, but Ryse is by far the worst I've experienced.

I wonder if PS4 has actually gotten faster then before? My most recent experiences, Mad Max and Until Dawn were fast as hell. It took me by surprise because I'm so used to putting these games in and walking away to go do something. Until Dawn was instant, like popping in a cartridge.

Its amazing to me how at times these companies seems to not learn from the previous gen. How did the PS and Xbox flip flop with install times? I too didnt mind as much on PS3. I have both a PS3 and 360.

I just accepted it as a con on the pro/con list. I will say I am spoiled tho with 360 and PS4 in this regard. And install times might be a reason I played my 360 more....even tho I initially didnt like Xbox as a whole. Hated the controller for the orig Xbox.

as far as flipping goes... Xbox 360 games didn't install. they downloaded and were already in a fully playable state without any kind of installation required. there were heated arguments about that in comparisons last gen and some people even accused MS of 'hiding' the install time in the download etc, but actual bandwidth profiling and data checks showed that the games were indeed downloading right up to 100%

as far as patches went, for a large portion of the 360's life cycle, there were strict file size limits on the delta patches and many developers had to get creative by offering optional content updates to get around some of those restrictions.

<3 the duke

ElNino

From my experience with a lot of disc games on PS4, it's true. I can play the full game immediately regardless if it's still installing in the background. I haven't met a wait for full installation to finish barrier in any of my disc games, but I don't play sports games, so maybe they restrict you.
I only have a few PS4 games on disc, but I just encountered this on The Uncharted Collection. I launched the game after about 10 minutes of it installing (well after it was ready to start) and from the main menu only Uncharted 1 was available. Neither Uncharted 2 or 3 had begun installing yet.

zychi

Banned
The Bone takes quite a bit longer from my experiences. Halo is bad, but Ryse is by far the worst I've experienced.

I wonder if PS4 has actually gotten faster then before? My most recent experiences, Mad Max and Until Dawn were fast as hell. It took me by surprise because I'm so used to putting these games in and walking away to go do something. Until Dawn was instant, like popping in a cartridge.
Until dawn is installing in the background. The beginning chapter was the only playable part

Piggus

Bullshit. You may have been able to start playing it in 30 seconds, but it sure as hell didn't install in that time. that's one of the things I just can't stand about my PS4, no option for a full install as a default, no I gotta put the disc in, let it do its thing, and check every 10 minutes to see if the game is fully installed yet. So annoying.

How is that an issue at all? Even for disk-based games you need the disk in the system, so why do you need to check every ten minutes to see if it's fully installed, especially when it's doing its thing in the background? The main point is you don't have to wait. It's seamless.

EDIT: Okay, I get the drive noise thing, but it's not THAT loud... Also, nothing is stopping you from going off and doing other things while the game is installing just because you're allowed to play it while it installs.

EDIT2: Okay, people in that thread about the journalist ranting about the Bone seemed to indicate that the install time complaint was overblown. But in this thread people are implying that it takes a dick load of time before you can actually play the game. Which is it?

Because if you actually have to wait more than a minute before you're able to start up and play a disk-based game (let alone 10+ minutes) then Microsoft has truly lost sight of what a console is supposed to be.

Disconnect from live. Install from disk. Reconnect to live. Download updates/patches.

No game has ever taken more than 1 hour for a fresh install for me, including TMCC. If it takes longer, then your internet is probably slow and those patches to these games are huge nowadays (20gb day one patch, for instance).
There's a prompt that asks if you want to download the update when installing. Just hit no and there is no need to disconnect from Live.

TheYanger

PS4 is awesome. Rather than make you wait for the full installation which could take hours, the PS4 lets you play as it installs.

So does the Xbox, the problem is that the installs take longer than they should regardless. And some games require the whole thing (Just bought GTA, it literally wanted 100% before I could do more than look at the 'installing' screen if I started it up).

How is that an issue at all? Even for disk-based games you need the disk in the system, so why do you need to check every ten minutes to see if it's fully installed, especially when it's doing its thing in the background? The main point is you don't have to wait. It's seamless.

EDIT: Okay, I get the drive noise thing, but it's not THAT loud... Also, nothing is stopping you from going off and doing other things while the game is installing just because you're allowed to play it while it installs.

EDIT2: Okay, people in that thread about the journalist ranting about the Bone seemed to indicate that the install time complaint was overblown. But in this thread people are implying that it takes a dick load of time before you can actually play the game. Which is it?

Because if you actually have to wait more than a minute before you're able to start up and play a disk-based game (let alone 10+ minutes) then Microsoft has truly lost sight of what a console is supposed to be.

It is known the xbone takes a while to install. The problem is you either have to let them game install the. Download the patch or download while you install, but for some reason the latter takes a long time. Think PS3 levels of speed, some games take longer than others. But If you buy the game and think you're going to play it, fully patched in under a half an hour, you'd be wrong. I can't say if the new OS fixes this issue cause I was having connection issues while installing the Taken King.

c0de

So does the Xbox, the problem is that the installs take longer than they should regardless. And some games require the whole thing (Just bought GTA, it literally wanted 100% before I could do more than look at the 'installing' screen if I started it up).

But then it is also the fault of the game, isn't it?

Rembrandt

Banned
Worst thing about the console, especially when you compare it to the PS4 and it's fast installation times.

But then it is also the fault of the game, isn't it?

possibly?

I remember playing Watch_Dogs while it was installing and it wouldn't let me leave the stadium in the beginning. Wolfenstein let me beat the first airplane part in the beginning. Idk if it was the same on PS4.

TBiddy

Am I the only one around here, that has gone (almost) fully digital?

My XB1 is running in instant-on mode, so when I get home from work the games I've decided to buy is already installed and ready to go.

Sure, installing TMCC took a long time, but isn't that to be expected considering the size?

RankFTW

Unconfirmed Member
I took a week's holiday to install Rare Replay, no lies.

Maybe a little exaggerated but only a little.

This install issue is slightly turning me away from buying Xbox One I really need to fry out a unit and see how long it takes for some games, such as Halo, Rare Replay and Sunset Overdrive.

I buy all my XB1 games on disc and it usually takes about 20-30 minutes for a full install of the game + day one patch.

When I download demos or DLC or stuff like that, I don't have any problems with long install times. I would say a 6gb demo downloads / installs in 5-10 minutes.

My XB1 is hard wired with a 120 Mbps connection.

Owning both, they both tend to take a while. I will admit that the xbone is a bit more noticeable with the wait, at times not so bad. PSN tends to be hit or miss. I rarely experience middle ground.

In regards to the poster who stated that xbone games aren't playable until full install, that isn't true. I was able to play nba 2k16 (preset matchup) at about 20 or 30 percent. Same with some other games like garden warfare.
MTU problems are knocking my Xbox (NXOE) offline I just put in Guitar Hero Live, and ...5 minutes later it's ready to play. *shrug*

They really need to focus on that.

rjcc

MTU problems are knocking my Xbox (NXOE) offline I just put in Guitar Hero Live, and ...5 minutes later it's ready to play. *shrug*

Owning both, they both tend to take a while. I will admit that the xbone is a bit more noticeable with the wait, at times not so bad. PSN tends to be hit or miss. I rarely experience middle ground.

Are you talking about download/install from PSN? It's the disk installs that are much faster on the PS4, I doubt if network installs are significantly faster. You can also play games pre-patch provided they're sent out working on the disk and let the patch download in the background (I wouldn't have qualified that but apparently Tony Hawk happened).

From my experience with a lot of disc games on PS4, it's true. I can play the full game immediately regardless if it's still installing in the background. I haven't met a wait for full installation to finish barrier in any of my disc games, but I don't play sports games, so maybe they restrict you.

Seen it before. Garden warfare does it, as well as some sports games. Arkham knight will let you play only so much before an install as well. I've not noticed it with a majority of games though.

Are you talking about download/install from PSN? It's the disk installs that are much faster on the PS4, I doubt if network installs are significantly faster. You can also play games pre-patch provided they're sent out working on the disk and let the patch download in the background (I wouldn't have qualified that but apparently Tony Hawk happened).

I don't buy physical all that often except for when I picked up arkham knight. I misunderstood apparently. Disk installs are indeed much faster. I was referring to general download/install times.

I haven't had any issue installing games to be honest. I put the disc in, go grab a drink and make a sandwich, I come back - it's installed.

I do have strong internet so downloading the patches isn't that bad for me I guess. I think that's whats separating the fast/slow camps.

alterno69

Banned
I rented Ryse once, it took more than 24 hours to install the game lol. I left the console all night and the next day it was still like at 40%, canceled and restarted the process and it still took like half a day more, it's just broken IMO.

Never had any issues on PS4

rjcc

I haven't had any issue installing games to be honest. I put the disc in, go grab a drink and make a sandwich, I come back - it's installed.

I do have strong internet so downloading the patches isn't that bad for me I guess. I think that's whats separating the fast/slow camps.

Also (usually) if you're buying games day 1, there's not a massive backlog of patches and DLC to download. Often the people making these threads are like "so I bought this game 6 months after it came out" and there's like 30gb of downloads + they have a nearly dial-up connection which is why they're using discs to begin with.

It's still microsoft's fault for not making the UI distinguish the disc installation and the patch download, but the factors are usually late purchase + slow connection.

Bullshit. You may have been able to start playing it in 30 seconds, but it sure as hell didn't install in that time. that's one of the things I just can't stand about my PS4, no option for a full install as a default, no I gotta put the disc in, let it do its thing, and check every 10 minutes to see if the game is fully installed yet. So annoying.

I don't even know what you're arguing here. You dislike having the choice to play a small section almost immediately?! If it bothers you so much, leave it running and check back after an hour. You'll even get a notification telling you when all patches are installed and it's finished.

jesu

I rented Ryse once, it took more than 24 hours to install the game lol. I left the console all night and the next day it was still like at 40%, canceled and restarted the process and it still took like half a day more, it's just broken IMO.

Never had any issues on PS4

Wasn't Ryse was a launch game?, install times have improved quite a bit since then.

Poop!

PS4 installs games really fast, why can't the Xbox one?

My thinking is that with the problems the PS3 had with installs last gen (remember MGS4 had 4-5 different installs mid-game) and some patches installs taking up to 5-6 hours (Hot Shots Golf is a example) they learned from those experiences and used the fixes on the PS4. This is one of the big advantage Sony has for using Blu-ray last gen is that they were able to work through the growing pains.

We all remember the sandwich:

http://www.gamesradar.com/capcom-responds-to-20-min-dmc-install-10/

Makikou

I have an xbox one. It sucks since first time i wanted to play something, i had to install forza horizon 2 for like 3-4 hours.. + updates..

Top Bottom