• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One really does take a long time to install games.

Oneself

This thread is a pain to read. Misinformation, out of the ass quotes and angry fanboys.

Xbox One installs the full game and updates before letting you play if you download them.
A handful of BRD games will start quickly after the installation started but most games will make you wait 10 minutes or more before playing (if not connected to the internet / not downloading patches).

PS4 makes "play as it installs" mandatory, installing a 20-30 minutes long playable portion of the game first. Most downloaded games will also feature a similar partial installation while the rest of the game is being downloaded and installed completely. I don't think it applies to indie games or it might just be related to the amount of space the game takes on the drive.

So while it fully installs the game, it starts with a playable portion that should last 20-30 minutes so you that can play almost immediately after the installation has started and continue seemlessly during the installation.

PS4 also allows you to start a game before a patch is downloaded but that means you won't start playing the latest "version" of it obviously. You have to quit the game and comeback in order for the patches to take effect.

PS4 (and Xbox One as Guerrilla stated) also lets you play any other downloaded titles on your drive while installing your new blu-ray based game or while you download your new game from the PS/MS store.

Guerrilla

This thread is a pain to read. Misinformation, out of the ass quotes and angry fanboys.

1. Most of the time, Xbox One installs the full game and updates before letting you play.
A hanful of games will start during the installation.

PS4 makes "play as it installs" mandatory, installing a 20-30 minutes long playable portion of the game first. Most downloaded games will also feature a similar partial installation while the rest of the game is being downloaded and installed completely. I don't think it applies to indie games or it might just be related to the amount of space the game takes on the drive.

So while it fully installs the game, it starts with a playable portion that should last 20-30 minutes so you that can play almost immediately after the installation has started and continue seemlessly during the installation.

PS4 also allows you to start a game before a patch is downloaded but that means you won't start playing the latest "version" of it obviously. You have to quit the game and comeback in order for the patches to take effect.

2.PS4 also lets you play any other downloaded titles on your drive while installing your new blu-ray based game or while you download your new game from the PS store.

1. I don't think that is true, i went mostly digital, but the few instances i had discs in my they always were playable before the install was finished.

2. Yeah xb1 does that too

Not trying to start anything here, but if you want to act like the guy who clears things up for all the "angry fanboys" we should try to stay true to the facts.

Still, installs on ps4 are way faster, I played until dawn last week and I inserted the disc, went to take a piss and when I came back I could start the game and play through it without any hickup. MS def. needs to get there. However, hours are very very uncommon (it's only a couple of minutes most of the time) and I think halo is a special case here due to the uncommonly large update. However, you can play the campaigns while that one downloads of course.

Shin-Ra

I don't know why you get so much flack for your opnion. I'm like you, I hate drive noise and the first thing I do wwhen I get home from buying a new PS4 game, is put it in and let it fully install. However there is no reason to check if it's finished. The BD drive should stop spinning within a minute of the completed install, so you can quite easily hear when it's finished installing. Only thing left is the install of patch and DLC data and that notifies you when it's finished installing.
He complains about BD drive noise, but apparently that noise isn't loud enough to let him know when it's copied the entire disc. I'm not sure what he expects.

Oneself

1. I don't think that is true, i went mostly digital, but the few instances i had discs in my they always were playable before the install was finished.

2. Yeah xb1 does that too

Not trying to start anything here, but if you want to act like the guy who clears things up for all the "angry fanboys" we should try to stay true to the facts.

You are right. But I don't want to act like the guy who clears things up, I just wanted to share things that seemed hard to understand for some.

I corrected no 2 because it was obvious.

About number 1, I agree that it is supposed to be the same for both consoles but it is not. Here is an old article lol but that's all I could find on my phone :)

http://kotaku.com/installing-xbox-one-games-takes-way-too-long-1471191836

BMatt07

Banned
Going offline while installing helps....a little.

I bought a PS4 last week and I am stunned at the difference between install times between the two systems. Every PS4 game I've installed so far has allowed me to start playing within a couple minutes.

Lol what a crock...

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Assassin's Creed IV:
Xbox One (offline, no update): 5 minutes 50 seconds
Xbox One (with update, fastest connection): 7 minutes 2 seconds
Xbox One (with update, 10Mbps connection): 10 minutes 32 seconds
PS4: 42 seconds

Need For Speed Rivals:
XBO: 09:25 (including update)
PS4: 00:32

Just Dance 2014:
XBO: 08:48 (including update)
PS4: 00:45

NBA Live 14:
XBO: 16:26 (including update)
PS4: 00:35

FIFA 14:
XBO: 16:06 (including update)
PS4: 00:34

Madden 25:
XBO: 9:38 (including update)
PS4: 00:38
http://kotaku.com/installing-xbox-one-games-takes-way-too-long-1471191836

Sony has 1 gen longer experience with this than MS, the Xbone install times are as long as those on PS3. Worse, I've heard horror stories of people forgetting to install their games offline and it taking up hours to be able to play their game. The Xbone should allow people to play their games while downloading the update in the background like ps4, but even offline installations take 10x longer on Xbox.

Personally install times didn't bother me that much on PS3, they didn't take much space so I could store many games on the hdd. This gen games are usually 40-50GB, a smaller number of games you can rotate and go back to. Fortunately with install taking 30-40 seconds on PS4 I always delete those big data files and free space knowing I can play the game back in less than a minute.

Its amazing to me how at times these companies seems to not learn from the previous gen. How did the PS and Xbox flip flop with install times? I too didnt mind as much on PS3. I have both a PS3 and 360.

I just accepted it as a con on the pro/con list. I will say I am spoiled tho with 360 and PS4 in this regard. And install times might be a reason I played my 360 more....even tho I initially didnt like Xbox as a whole. Hated the controller for the orig Xbox.

FFMafia

Lol what a crock...

I think he means disc installations, because those for some reason are ready within minutes for me if not faster, but a download version takes a super long time (perhaps the disc versions let you play off the disc as it installs in the background?) I can't say for sure how it works on X1 with discs because it's been a while since I purchased a retail game for X1 been mostly digital.

Ascenion

This is why I'd love an option to pre-patch on both systems. Be able to hold a patch in queue fully downloaded just waiting for you to pop a disc in to install. It could be an option nex to the games in the online store. "Download Updates" - retail version only.

Cleve

I don't have too many games on my xbone, but installing dead rising 3 at launch was an awful experience. Even without patches the game took close to 20 minutes to install before I could play. I couldn't believe that it was actually taking that long.

In comparison my ps4 with killzone was ready to go in something crazy like 15 seconds.

I hope it's improved with newer xbox games, and clearly there are pros and cons to both sides, but not admitting it's an issue doesn't make it one. Microsoft have made leaps and bounds in improving the xbox experience, but they need to step it up for game installs.

etta

my hard graphic balls
This happens when you design your console first as media player and second as gaming device. Xbone is Frankenstein's monster in this regard and no matter how many 180s you make as company this flaw will always hold it back. Just accept that Xbone is a not a very good gaming console but hey you can snap your live TV program while waiting for the installs to complete.
Uh huh.

Like others have said, both PS4 and XBO have the same Blu-ray drives (same read speed at least), so full disc installs should take the same amount of time on both of them. It's the forced patch downloading on XBO that lengthens the installation.

it's a 62.7 GB game what he expect? of course something that big would take hours to finish

I have several games on PS4 that are over 50 gb installed, none of them took 5 hours...None of them even took an hour...

The longest were The Show and NBA2k..They took about 30 to 45 minutes or so to fully install, but I was still able to play them after 5 minutes or less with that wizardry Sony is doing on installs....

Size means nothing, and that MCC 20gb patch, mixed with the super slow installs, is really at fault here...

Going offline while installing helps....a little.

I bought a PS4 last week and I am stunned at the difference between install times between the two systems. Every PS4 game I've installed so far has allowed me to start playing within a couple minutes.

It actually still keeps installing in the background, it just doesn't surface it. I personally can't stand having the disc drive roar while playing so I always let it sit until its done.

I can understand some of the gripe about this... but I've never had a huge problem with my Xbox One's download/install speed.

Most of the time I either download overnight/during work, or with the case of Mad Max this year I was "ready to start" within 15 minutes, hopped on and it loaded the rest while playing.

plainr_

Bullshit. You may have been able to start playing it in 30 seconds, but it sure as hell didn't install in that time. that's one of the things I just can't stand about my PS4, no option for a full install as a default, no I gotta put the disc in, let it do its thing, and check every 10 minutes to see if the game is fully installed yet. So annoying.

But it does full install as default even if you don't launch the game. I don't know if I'm misreading your comment but I don't get your complaint.

Krakn3Dfx

Bullshit. You may have been able to start playing it in 30 seconds, but it sure as hell didn't install in that time. that's one of the things I just can't stand about my PS4, no option for a full install as a default, no I gotta put the disc in, let it do its thing, and check every 10 minutes to see if the game is fully installed yet. So annoying.

Why does it matter how long it's taking to install if you can play while it's installing?

Weirdest post I've seen in awhile.

This happens when you design your console first as media player and second as gaming device. Xbone is Frankenstein's monster in this regard and no matter how many 180s you make as company this flaw will always hold it back. Just accept that Xbone is a not a very good gaming console but hey you can snap your live TV program while waiting for the installs to complete.

PGg8vBV.jpg

etta

my hard graphic balls
It's amazing how Sony got this right, but so many other things wrong.

This whole generation has been full of tiny, weird mistakes like this on both sides. XBO not baking core apps into the OS, PS4 not being able to pause downloads, XBO having installation issues after the incredibly-easy process it was on the X360, PS4 not having friend sign in notifications, XBO not having controller battery indicator...etc.
What weird problems to have after the PS3/X360 generation. Felt like these new systems were built by completely different and isolated teams.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I don't know why you get so much flack for your opnion. I'm like you, I hate drive noise and the first thing I do wwhen I get home from buying a new PS4 game, is put it in and let it fully install. However there is no reason to check if it's finished. The BD drive should stop spinning within a minute of the completed install, so you can quite easily hear when it's finished installing. Only thing left is the install of patch and DLC data and that notifies you when it's finished installing.
He is getting flak because he wants an option on the system that is completely asinine. Just have patience and give the game time to fully install and Wah-La!

see5harp

While true that installations take way longer than they should, in the case of MCC, it's a HUGE patch. Imagine if you also had to download and install ODST. Shit would have taken days.

It seems to me that the main difference is that:

- Ms demands that the game running always load from the HDD, while sony allows the game to stream from the disk while it's installing (by probably letting the game direct what's getting installed instead of following any particular order).
- On xbone install is only fully complete after the patches are downloaded.

So Ps4 should be faster in pretty much any case, unless that when downloading games they download in any particular order that is not what the game requests like it can do with a disk, if so downloaded games should take a similar time on both to be ready to play.

papo

Xbox One downloads games fast and takes long to install.

PS4 install game fast, but takes long to download.

This is my experience so far. I once had a PS4 game stay on preparing to download for a full hour. It's not that big of a deal unless you just bought your console and just want to play. But this gen and part of last is nothing like the old days and it is not realistic to expect it to be.

Nheco

when you start installing something, don't accept the prompt where it asks if you want to install the updates. Of course the next time you boot the game online it will ask again, but this way it takes around five 5 minutes or so, because it's just the disk contents.

Oppo

that throwing stick of yours has boomeranged on you!

seriously though, besides being wrong about that, the fact that you bring it up while you hand wave away the MCC problem is really crazy man.

hawk2025

Frankly, I lived with a PS3 for years.

It's at about that level.

I usually just assume I won't play a new Xbox One game day one if I'm buying physical at the end of a work day, so I've made my peace with it.

mike4001_

- On xbone install is only fully complete after the patches are downloaded.

The funny thing is.

Actually downloading the patch first and then only installing (copying) files which were not replaced by the patched data is faster than to copy the complete game and then replacing files by the patch.

Speaking only of the total time of course.

If the system (in this case PS4) lets you start the unpatched game this is obvisouly even faster.

n051de

To me this seems like an issue caused by two problems:

1) Engineering problem. Sony engineers performed wizardry when it comes to installation. Microsoft engineers did not have the same foresight and didn't implement a system to very quickly install games (and by very quickly I mean within 60 seconds you should start playing any game like on PS4).

2) UI problem / patches: For some reason Microsoft has decided to combine patch updates with game installation. MCC has a 20GB day one patch so of fucking course it will take long to install. There is not a PS4 game in existence that will install quickly if it had to install a 20GB downloaded patch before you could play....

Microsoft has to do two things:

1) Divorce patches from game installation. Make it so the game always installs first, and then the patch installs. This is possible

2) Make base games install as fast as PS4. I don't know if this is possible

For digital copies it balances out because PSN for some reason thinks alot of us are using potatoes to get online. The DL speed is too slow and really needs to be fixed.

On one side there are people who think that the PS4 installs the full game in under 1 minute.

On the other side, people angry because the full game does not install completely in under 1 minute, ignoring the fact that you can play the game nonetheless.

watership

My roommate bought an Xbox One today, it's been five hours since we started installing the Master Chief Collection and it is still only 90% done. I can't even comprehend why it takes so long.

I will say, it's great to play Halo: CE's campaign again, couch co-op with a modern console.

Good thing no game is as large as MCC. However, 5 hours seems excessive. Did you install from the Disk, or the download?

This whole generation has been full of tiny, weird mistakes like this on both sides. XBO not baking core apps into the OS, PS4 not being able to pause downloads, XBO having installation issues after the incredibly-easy process it was on the X360, PS4 not having friend sign in notifications, XBO not having controller battery indicator...etc.
What weird problems to have after the PS3/X360 generation. Felt like these new systems were built by completely different and isolated teams.

It's amazing since those systems were updated over 10 years to get where they are, and it's like both sides they just threw all that work out the window and started from scratch. Even if you can't copy/paste code from one system to the next, the ideas that worked shouldn't have been disposed of so quickly. Heck, there's things the PS3 did day 1 that the PS4 still can't do.

It's amazing since those systems were updated over 10 years to get where they are, and it's like both sides they just threw all that work out the window and started from scratch. Even if you can't copy/paste code from one system to the next, the ideas that worked shouldn't have been disposed of so quickly. Heck, there's things the PS3 did day 1 that the PS4 still can't do.

It isn't that difficult to understand. They were both rushing to market, directly in competition with each other and so some of these 'essential' features fell by the wayside only to be addressed at a later time (or not as yet).

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Weird, my games install quickly.

Only thing that slows it down is if there are updates.

Why will that matter as long as I can start playing while it installs the game in the background? Semms like a smart thing to be able to do.

im_dany

When I installed my copy saturday it asked me if I wanted to download the update at the same time. Told it not to, then it installed pretty fast.
The update took me a shitload of time though, almost a full day. Downloading BF4 + DLCs was much faster, for some reason.

Still, MCC is the only disc game I own (and I'm going to sell it and buy a code anyway because I hate disc and love DD) so I don't know if other games are faster or slower.

gossi

As everybody else has already said, when you first install a game it installs the day one patch (or in the case of MCC, the 1 year patch).

shanafan

No. I recently picked up NBA 2k16 on PS4 which is around 50 GB and it installed in like 30 secs. Now updates will depend on your internet and what not but simple installation on the X1 is very slow.

Well sure the initial "Play Now" install, but all the bells and whistles take awhile.

For example, you could play a game but it might be missing music, sound effects etc. At least this was my experience with prior NBA 2K games.

Well sure the initial "Play Now" install, but all the bells and whistles take awhile.

For example, you could play a game but it might be missing music, sound effects etc. At least this was my experience with prior NBA 2K games.

I think the process has now become much more intelligent in the sense that whatever gets initially installed provides a complete experience or so I felt.

The install from disc on the Xbox are bad, like reaaaaalllllyyy bad.

Phil mentioned on Twitter about a year ago it was something the engineers were looking into, hope they found what they were looking for.

Top Bottom