• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ANN: Funimation Addresses Prison School Dub Comments Over Gamergate Line

Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG that's incredible. That's hilarious.

And why are people mad about one word change? It's a single word. It's not like it will change any significance in the overall show.

Because localisations that use pop culture are gross. Hate it in games too

Anyone watching it ten years from now won't know what the hell it was supposed to mean.

Anyone watching it ten years from now won't know what the hell it was supposed to mean.

uKQM8L9.gif

Boy I sure hope you don't play the Ace Attorney games in English

Vice

A lot of great stories are cery time sensitive though. It's a perfectly valid way to go. Especially for humor since it's so tied to culture.

dity

I think in 10 years they'll get that a gamergater is creepy given the adjective used. Language is cool.

Toxi

Banned
Yeah honestly, the problem here isn't that it's a Gamergate mention, or whatever their reaction to it. Any translations that deviate this far from the source material are shit, unless you're watching some DUWANG.
I kinda hope JoJo part 4 anime has a DUWANG fan sub.

Zabi

Banned
Besides changing what the character was saying, another problem with the line is that merely mentioning GG in any shape or form is like poking a hornet nest. Doing more than mentioning it is like kicking the hornet nest. It'd be different if it had been mentioned in the original Japanese version but I don't think the eastern part of the world cares about it at all. The Chinese media had some fun mocking the GG controversy during it's early days but that's it I think.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Personally I see the issue as the show horribly dating itself in a few years. Leave the cultural references out of dubs.
I understand that Funimation takes liberties, that's how localization works. But try to stick with the spirit of the original. Especially when the characters in Prison School are Japanese, and this whole GG problem seems to be stuck in the Western world. Unless someone goes to 2ch and sees differently.

Tizoc

pop culture reference insertions into localisations are moronic. disappointed in funi, but I haven't watched anything they've localised for a while anyway

But Japan uses pop culture references in their animes, games, shows, etc. that only Japanese people would use. Substituting it for a non-JP reference or shout out is better IMO since it's easier to pick up.

Who watches Funimation dubs? They are almost always terrible.

Their One Piece dubs are really good though.

kulapik

I don't see why the translator thought it would be fun to shoehorn a Gamergate reference in there. That's just looking for drama.

Yeah, I rolled my eyes at the line. It's an unnecessary change that isn't culture-neutral like the original line. It's the kind of thing that would have people wondering "wait, Gamergate is a thing in Japan?" when it isn't. Also makes the show far less timeless.

That being said, it's a single stupid throwaway line. Not a massive deal.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Funimation dubs are usually great.
Sentai is the terrible one.

Have you been watching Akame ga Kill on Toonami? It's like something out of the ass-end of the 90's. I mean, the manga already had bad writing, but the terrible direction on top of that is a perfect storm of awful.

Cqef

Shoehorning popculture references when it's not relevant is not a good idea anyway, especially such a niche and punctual event as Gamergate. Imagine a guy watching this in like 10 years, he'll NEED to look it up to understand, when it was simply meaning "I'm your senior, show some respect".
The FUNi guys involved in only did this to draw some attention IMO.

This too.

There's no actual response there. Just a merely "We adapt translations all the time, our dubs do not reflect the company etc. etc"

I'm not really seeing the outrage from "Gamergate" that they're mad that "Gamergate" was mentioned.

I'm seeing people mad that a culture reference is being inserted into a show where it did not belong, as it has next to zero relevance to the original line. People complain about Funimation/other dub studios doing this all the time.

It's right up there with "JELLY DONUTS".

Do you seriously believe there was a big enough outcry that Funimation actually had to issue a statement...because people just didn't like a single line of dialogue? Like, seriously?

This is almost ENTIRELY outrage at the fact that they took a shot at Gamergate. The argument of "They shouldn't put social agendas or cultural references in dubs" that's going around on Twitter is literally just the equivalent of "it's actually about ethics in games journalism."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom