• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Nier.... Now I understand why this game is loved so much by the fans

not having any musical talent or ability, im not usually one to notice soundtracks, but nier's is an exception. love this game.

i do think they could have done more with the playthroughs after B. the D ending is great, but if i remember correctly, the content of the game doesnt change at all after B. a bit of a quibble since the revelations in B are stunning and a great payoff. and those playthroughs are so quick since you are OP. but still takes time just to see the other endings, basically.
maybe D lets you start near the end? cant remember. still C doesnt add much.

Praiseworthy, now that you have seen ending B get ready to have your mind blown.

From the Videogame facts that blow your mind thread:

Stuff like this is the mark of a great game. When the dev team gets creative with even the smallest of details.

holy shit! thats amazing.

SephLuis

OP, I know it might be tiring, but did you made endings C and D ?

Well, I don't think there is quite anything like Nier. Drakengard 3 is from the same creator, but they have very different stories and objectives, so if you expect something similar, it will only lead to disappointment.

My tip is...take your time. Go play anything else that isn't a masterpiece.
If you still want an emotional ride, try watching Clannad (this is an anime) or playing 999 on the DS.

If you still haven't buried your PS3, I can recommend Asura's Wrath. It's a good game, nice story and tons of insane action.

Does anyone know where I can get a cheap copy of this game? I'm pretty sure I'll like Nier, but there's no way I'm paying 40+ bucks for a used copy.

I started it up, but there's a part at the beginning where you fight a HUGE amount of these monsters outside and the fight drags on so long and is so tedious that I shut the game off. I assume it gets better after that part.

I started it up, but there's a part at the beginning where you fight a HUGE amount of these monsters outside and the fight drags on so long and is so tedious that I shut the game off. I assume it gets better after that part.

Dude, that's like half an hour in...that's the intro.

Ventara

Nier is truly special. I'm glad you realized how amazing it is, OP. It's my favourite game of the last generation, too. I'm tempted to replay it, but I've already platinum'd it. Debating whether a replay is a good idea or if I should leave it as a sweet memory.

Zolo

Not a very good intro if you have to struggle through tediousness. An intro is supposed to hype you up to play, not be a slog. I know the game is great but that was a roadblock.

Just to make sure, you're not playing on hard right? This is the one game I've played where I absolutely wouldn't recommend it because it does hard in basically all the ways people say you shouldn't.

Bookman

Gagnamit i love this game, there is no way the sequal is going to live up to the enormous hype, its just not possible. Nier could be one of my top 5 games ever.

PillarEN

Gagnamit i love this game, there is no way the sequal is going to live up to the enormous hype, its just not possible. Nier could be one of my top 5 games ever.

It's possible the combat could be far better than the first game and I'd guess that the game will also bank on the first's cult status. So a bunch of new people jumping on the sequel because "people won't shut up about the first one but I'm not playing an old game at this point so I'll play the new one. Besides the story isn't really connected."

My point being I guess that it is sort of a Demons Souls to Dark Souls transition. I mean yes it could disappoint your expectations. No doubt. I just think for many it isn't on the level of other mythical statuses like Half Life 3 or Kingdom Hearts 3 where there is a very large audience that already has a strong history with a franchise.

wolfhowwl

Banned
Not a very good intro if you have to struggle through tediousness. An intro is supposed to hype you up to play, not be a slog. I know the game is great but that was a roadblock.

Nier is a slog in general. Thank God they're bringing in PlatinumGames for the sequel.

chekhonte

yeah, I'm tempering my expectations but I think I'll still be let down. I did the same thing for mother 3 and will still very much let down. I wish I had the will to just not play it but I know that I will no matter what.

EDIT: In this discussion with Taro it seems like he's more or less given up.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...usses_making_weird_games_for_weird_people.php

Jisgsaw

I didn't want to make a new thread so I looked up the latest Nier-related thread to ask:

If I want to play Nier, is the PS3 or 360 version usually recommended? Just in terms of performance and visuals, and if either one has any technical issues or something.

Hektor

I didn't want to make a new thread so I looked up the latest Nier-related thread to ask:

If I want to play Nier, is the PS3 or 360 version usually recommended? Just in terms of performance and visuals, and if either one has any technical issues or something.

There is no big difference between the two. The 360 has a bit shorter loading times, but that can mean that you won't be able to read some of the diary entrys and such that are shown in the. But that's about it.

There is no big difference between the two. The 360 has a bit shorter loading times, but that can mean that you won't be able to read some of the diary entrys and such that are shown in the. But that's about it.

Alright, thanks. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a Bayonetta type situation where one version had bad frame rate drops or something similar.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Alright, thanks. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a Bayonetta type situation where one version had bad frame rate drops or something similar.

the only difference is that the ps3 version i think requires an install and obviously the 360 don't. So if you want to save on space, the 360 version is the better recomendation

finley83

Banned
Apparently PS3 version has uncompressed audio, which is a big deal when we're talking about one of the best soundtracks of all time.

That said, you probably won't notice unless you have a great audio setup anyway.

Apparently PS3 version has uncompressed audio, which is a big deal when we're talking about one of the best soundtracks of all time.

That said, you probably won't notice unless you have a great audio setup anyway.

Best soundtrack for me by far. Grandma especially.

Really happy you enjoyed it OP. While the first play through is fantastic it's really the second that takes it from a great game to an incredible game.

Oh and the music is simply superb. Easily my favourite OST of last gen. I'm looking forward to the sequel and I hope they can at least match the first game.

Top Bottom