• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Werewolf |OT| Was it all just a Dream?

Burbeting

Banned
There is the possibility that Makai is a neutral protector, who has to keep Dave alive. T hat was Palmer's role in the Season 2 game Star Wars, so it's not out of realm of possibility. In this set up, the one being protected (Dave) does not know his protector (Makai).
Dave's response to my question seems to also point into that direction.

Note, that in the Star Wars case, the one being protected was a scum.

cabot

Are you doing more hints at a mason role...

What do fezzes have to do with Masons?

There is the possibility that Makai is a neutral protector, who has to keep Dave alive. T hat was Palmer's role in the Season 2 game Star Wars, so it's not out of realm of possibility. In this set up, the one being protected (Dave) does not know his protector (Makai).
Dave's response to my question seems to also point into that direction.

Note, that in the Star Wars case, the one being protected was a scum.

This is a valid point.

ultron87

At the same time, this was you yesterday:

The irony is strong here. Why are you trying to get everyone to the clear who voted Darryl, yet put people who were not voting Darryl, but Xam into your scumtells?

Huh? I don't think those two positions are incompatible at all. Clearly at various points yesterday I thought Darryl was scum. I was wrong, but hey, it happens. With the information available to me at the time I made that second post you quoted I thought it was pretty suspicious that a couple people voted for Xam in quick succession. This backed up my current thoughts on Darryl enough that I decided to put in a vote and mention my current thoughts.

I was wrong then, but it made sense from my perspective at the time. Which is the lens that you have to look at all Day 1 actions, which is what I was arguing in the first post you quoted. People posting things didn't know Darryl was town. With this new info I can at least now be less suspicious of those votes on Xam because they weren't part of a hypothetical plot to save Wolf Darryl.

I'm not trying to clear everyone at all. I'm mostly just saying that people should calm down a bit on the "Vengeance for Darry!" train. Since there'd been a few posts here and in the other thread (where there shouldn't be game talk) to the effect of "gotta kill everyone who voted for Darryl".

Swamped

Banned
I pinged Crimson as one of my Top Village yesterday, so in theory I'm ok with him being the new sherrif, except for the fact that I wanted to be it ;_;

If he remains as Sherrif throughout the game and he keeps playing in a town-like manner, i will feel more comfortable.

I do want to hear more from Star. In D1 she didn't really comment much on any of the proceedings, remaining very detached. I think that may just be a part of her personality though, but that amount of apathy could be a cover.

VOTE: StarSketch

FluxWaveZ

[Not risking the quick edit]: Sorry, I also glanced over your last statement. So your position is that Makai was looking too deeply into your fluff and interpreted them as the musings of an important power role for Town, huh.

cabot

I don't know about this but I think you guys are reading into it too much, much like Makai was reading too much into my posts.

Yeah sure, let's just forget about that pretty bold statement made from Makai there, who aside from that post had pretty much done a load of nothing on D1

ah, what a lovely day in this forsaken village *whistles*

Fireblend

Banned
Some thoughts:

I don't know what to think of the sleepwalkers. I think a "sleepwalker game" with a higher-than-usual number of sleepwalkers may be entirely possible, in which case 2 town SWs doesn't sound that weird. Out of our 2 self-proclaimed SWs, Xam continues to be the most suspicious to me but it's hardly a scum read.

Another player I'll be watching today is Style. I voted him yesterday and then removed my vote when I saw he started posting more, but he didn't really say anything of substance before the day ended, and then showed up right at the end, that doesn't look good at all. Too obvious for my taste.

Sketch hasn't said much so far but I don't like what I've seen either. That weird vote-oops-unvote thing yesterday with Darryl struck me more as a noob play than anything else because I doubt a newbie scum would have voted like that without consulting with their fellow scum first, but it's definitely worth keeping an eye on her for.

Dave is someone else who I have mixed feelings about; I feel like he's being more careful with his words and less fluffy today - maybe he feels a bit cornered. Still, if there's something to his fluff or Makai has some sort of privileged info about him, a wait-and-see approach would be better for him. Plus there's enough people with eyes on him that I'm not particularly worried about him slipping under the radar.

More thoughts as the game develops. For now I'll use my vote to ping Septimus; gotta properly welcome you to the game :D plus I want to know how caught up you are with the game so far and maybe get a different perspective on what has happened.

Vote: Septimus Prime

*Splinter

Some thoughts from Burb's reads:

You mentioned that Terra didn't care who was lynched between Darryl/Xam/Ultron. I think this is a good point and makes me trust Xam/Ultron a little more (although now I see him downplaying the Darryl vote info, which gives me bad feels).

You also mentioned that scum wouldn't claim just to out a sleepwalker... while that's true, there are still obvious(?) benefits for scum to claim sleepwalker.

Makai

I didn't claim shit. I am not connected to Dave in any way. I stepped in because he's beyond obviously Baker but people were starting to suspect him. I don't know how much more he could telegraph that.

From Wikipedia:

The baker is on the side of the innocents. During the night, the baker gives one player a loaf of bread, potentially revealing his identity. If the baker dies, the innocents have just three nights to dispose of the mafia, or the innocents starve, and the mafia win.

Yeah, so he's kind of important. I don't know why he was yelling out his role but I'm assuming it's because he's a moron. The good news is Werewolves should also starve if Baker dies. I don't think Dave is at risk of getting night killed unless he exclusively hands bread to Werewolves. He strongly implied giving bread to El Topo. El Topo, don't tell us if you got it. Dave, don't confirm or deny any of this and stfu about baking.

cabot looks really bad right now. Like, what the hell? You don't speculate roles on Day 1. Now, he's asking me to confirm his Mason theory. In no way is role-fishing this early beneficial to Town and it's an enormous scumtell. Werewolves know the alignment of everyone, but not their roles. It's difficult to fake suspicion of other players but it's much easier to make posts like "hmmm, there can't be a doctor." That's exactly what you'd be saying in the Wolf chat so it's easy to repeat yourself in the main thread.

These guys look bad, but less bad than Cabot:

So Dave, why did Makai soft claim? What did you think when he did that?

Makai? Why the soft claim? Anything you want to report or let us know?

Vote: cabot

Makai

I had complete trust in Ultron yesterday, but Terrabyte's flip changed that. Xam is still suspicious, but I'm entertaining the possibility of him being Town.

Burbeting

Banned

I have to admit, I began to think about this possibility as well, but I am/was hoping that Dave did not do as idiotic play as this. And I seriously doubt Palmer would put in a role like this, that would when destroy the game potentially by simply dying. But okay, it explains your actions.

I pushed on Dave, because I felt that there was the possibility of the protector-dynamic I mentioned. And in Star Wars case, the one being protected was scum.

FluxWaveZ

*sigh*

Alright, whatever. Townies: Now that this possibility is out in the open and stated from Makai as fact, is it useful for us to get a corroboration from Lollipop Dave or not?

I didn't claim shit. I am not connected to Dave in any way. I stepped in because he's beyond obviously Baker but people were starting to suspect him. I don't know how much more he could telegraph that.

From Wikipedia:

Yeah, so he's kind of important. I don't know why he was yelling out his role but I'm assuming it's because he's a moron. The good news is Werewolves should also starve if Baker dies. I don't think Dave is at risk of getting night killed unless he exclusively hands bread to Werewolves. He strongly implied giving bread to El Topo. El Topo, don't tell us if you got it. Dave, don't confirm or deny any of this and stfu about baking.

cabot looks really bad right now. Like, what the hell? You don't speculate roles on Day 1. Now, he's asking me to confirm his Mason theory. In no way is role-fishing this early beneficial to Town and it's an enormous scumtell. Werewolves know the alignment of everyone, but not their roles. It's difficult to fake suspicion of other players but it's much easier to make posts like "hmmm, there can't be a doctor." That's exactly what you'd be saying in the Wolf chat so it's easy to repeat yourself in the main thread.

Interesting and exactly what I wanted to hear from you. I had thought it out of character for you to do anything like that day 1.

*Splinter

Regarding the new deputy, I'm not inherently suspicious of Drop's death. Removing the only confirmed town and forcing us to tackle the deputy issue sooner rather than later. It would be also be very foolish of the wolves to deputise themselves this early, which leads to my next suggestion:

Instead of deputising our most trusted players, why not deputise the most suspicious? The first suggestion of today has been to deputise Cabot (and I suspect he will be a popular choice). If we do this, I think Crimson will be killed tonight (we clearly don't have a doctor that can be relied upon) followed by Cabot tomorrow, and so on as we help the wolves eliminate all of our most trusted/useful players. Instead if the wolves choose to eliminate a suspicious sheriff for us that helps us out a little, and perhaps gives more information than killing a trusted Sheriff? There is a risk that the deputised player gets lynched in end of day craziness, but as discussed yesterday that isn't a bad thing anyway.

Obviously we would have to back off from this plan well in advance of mylo. Thoughts?

Burbeting

Banned
*sigh*

Alright, whatever. Townies: Now that this possibility is out in the open and stated from Makai as fact, is it useful for us to get a corroboration from Lollipop Dave or not?

If Dave really is a baker, he should keep his mouth shut about it, especially if the variant about town losing in three days would be real. If he is the baker, he is acting really, really idiotically with his fluff.

That said, I seriously doubt he is the baker, or if he is, his death won't shit on towns hgame like the wikipedia article says. Because in that case, the game would be balanced so badly, I would scream at Palmer.

Style

Banned
Dave really need to clarify what the heck is going. I don't think he's scum, but his coy personality is leading us in circles. First all the bakery fluff, then the comments about fezzes. I mean, come on, stop confusing your fellow villagers.

FluxWaveZ

If Dave really is a baker, he should keep his mouth shut about it, especially if the variant about town losing in three days would be real. If he is the baker, he is acting really, really idiotically with his fluff.

That said, I seriously doubt he is the baker, or if he is, his death won't shit on towns hgame like the wikipedia article says. Because in that case, the game would be balanced so badly, I would scream at Palmer.

Fine, that makes sense. But I don't like it. We're supposed to let go of our suspicion from Lollipop Dave because of a claim that's coming from someone else entirely?

I don't buy this baker crap. Something's off here. But if there's something to it, it could be dangerous for us if we push too much and actually discover someone with a power role that we need.

Fireblend

Banned
A baker seems unlikely in a 29-player game. It sounds like a bad joke that the game could potentially end super soon if the baker got killed. Is it possible there could be more than one to balance it out? I still doubt it and it'd probably be a pain to balance. I hate to get into meta reasoning but Palmer didn't have a ton of time to design this game so I doubt he would have risked it. Still, Dave seems to have been aware of the existence of Baker as a role, so he must have known what he was doing/potentially hinting towards. Part of me really doesn't want to know.

From Wikipedia:

Agree with basically everything you posted.

Unvote: Makai

*Splinter

*sigh*

And lose the game in 3 days? Gee let me think about that

Dave, I don't think you are a baker, but whatever the truth please do us all a favour and stop hinting at your role. It is extremely bad play.

Everyone else: new subject please? I'll make the bold prediction that this is a bad lead and will cause unnecessary claims if we pursue it. If everyone involved is alive in a few days feel free to come back to it, but let's table it for now.

I agree with Makai, the people pushing that look pretty suspect, but to me the biggest offender was ZippedPinhead weirdly pushing for more role details beyond a simple Mason.

Burbeting

Banned
Makai, why on earth did you push on that direction yesterday, after Dave only had the minimal heat was put on him? You must have realised that it wouldn't be ignored.

*Splinter

Dave really need to clarify what the heck is going. I don't think he's scum, but his coy personality is leading us in circles. First all the bakery fluff, then the comments about fezzes. I mean, come on, stop confusing your fellow villagers.
No Dave needs to stfu

Or rather, stop talking about his own role and start looking at other people

Regarding the new deputy, I'm not inherently suspicious of Drop's death. Removing the only confirmed town and forcing us to tackle the deputy issue sooner rather than later. It would be also be very foolish of the wolves to deputise themselves this early, which leads to my next suggestion:

Instead of deputising our most trusted players, why not deputise the most suspicious? The first suggestion of today has been to deputise Cabot (and I suspect he will be a popular choice). If we do this, I think Crimson will be killed tonight (we clearly don't have a doctor that can be relied upon) followed by Cabot tomorrow, and so on as we help the wolves eliminate all of our most trusted/useful players. Instead if the wolves choose to eliminate a suspicious sheriff for us that helps us out a little, and perhaps gives more information than killing a trusted Sheriff? There is a risk that the deputised player gets lynched in end of day craziness, but as discussed yesterday that isn't a bad thing anyway.

Obviously we would have to back off from this plan well in advance of mylo. Thoughts?

The biggest flaw in this plan is that you've posted it, which gives the wolves a chance to work around it. Leaving a sheriff alive for more than one night would naturally cause suspicion, so they could use that against us and get us to lynch a townie.

Plus, as a few other people have pointed out, double vote isn't completely useless, especially if the day ends in a similar way to yesterday, with the target constantly changing, so if you're giving that to a suspicious player, it could backfire.

cabot

In that case
Vote: Darryl

I was going through Day 1 voting and caught this, Xam you really were a hot fucking mess at day end

From Wikipedia:

Look you soft claimed in D1 and here you are to tell the tale. I can't have been the only one who thought that you implied that you and Dave were somehow connected. If I looked on that as scum, I'd be all over that. Possible lovers scenario where a kill grants 2 for 1? Get outta town. Drop was the obvious doctor choice, the soft claim had a better chance of being ignored.

As for baker, I never knew such a role existed as baker until QB actually called it out, so it never crossed my mind. Reading the description it makes it sound mildly insane, and if it is in this game, I sure hope the conditions have been nerfed a little. That's something thats closer to the realm of Potter madness.

Well, this is interesting. Which of the other two sleepwalkers is lying, I wonder?

Um, yeah. Was pretty tired over day one because of thanksgiving. Did a lot of impulsive stuff I should not have. I should have more energy day two.

I'm pretty sure any response to me voting Xam I didn't see until day 1 had already ended. So that's why I didn't react to those votes.

then the comments about fezzes.
It was a Doctor Who reference, first I've heard of masons wearing fezzes.

200_s.gif

(we clearly don't have a doctor that can be relied upon)

Out of curiosity and as a new player, if he was roleblocked. Does the way night actions work allow a roleblock to take effect before the doctor has picked or does the doctor not know till the day hits?

ultron87

Unfortunately not a ton of useful stuff in Terra's posts. But can at least have a look.

Initial vote on Splinter,
a none scum read on CB and
a random vote on Zipped who was in nowhere close to danger at the time.

Other posts of substance were on the deputy choosing, which is a nice mechanical distraction for wolves to talk about, so that makes sense.

Can maybe read something out of the end of day votes:

Just looked at the vote count and there's a tie. Therefore as promised:

VOTE: Xamtheking

For various reasons including but not limited to his role claim and how he's been playing this game as well as his recent posts.

I'm not feeling confident on Darryl, but I see Xam as more likely to be scum.

If you say so:

VOTE: Ultron87

VOTE: Darryl

Enough of this garbage.

Xam is acting suspicious but the way Terra voted makes that whole thing seem less likely to me. As others mentioned he seemed very content to flit among the three of us without a ton of care over who won. Mostly just going with the crowd and going after the least controversial target.

(And of course in this case we can use how Terra voted as evidence because he does know who is and isn't on his team.)

That doesn't clear Xam from being a neutral though.

*Splinter

It was a Doctor Who reference, first I've heard of masons wearing fezzes.

200_s.gif

Out of curiosity and as a new player, if he was roleblocked. Does the way night actions work allow a roleblock to take effect before the doctor has picked or does the doctor not know till the day hits?
Depends on the game. The doctor would definitely target someone and (worst case) see them die the next day regardless. They may or may not be informed that they were actually blocked or switched or any other possibility.

cabot

So after going through Day 1 voting deadlines, I noted the following:

- As Burb pointed out, I can confirm that Terra didn't much care who died from Ultron, Xam, and Darryl. He mentioned specifically being reluctant on Darryl, the other two had no such reservations.

- StarSketch seemed to be voting along with the flow, she said something about Darryl laying low in this game. While he wasn't actively leading town like before, no way was he laying low. She dropped her vote as soon as it was questioned and moved on.

- CB voted between Xam and Darryl, though reading through it again I am less suspicious of him, seems a man that was unsure / trying to break ties.

- Again, confirming Burb. Tiger bandwagoned a whole lot.

- I felt Xam was in trolling territory with how comically suspicious he was being. Don't know if it's a scum play or just weirdness/stupidity.

I think we shouldn't completely rule out the possibility of 2 town sleepwalkers
What if it's a dream-themed game like Swamped touched on earlier?

cabot

I want to make it absolutely clear that I did not say there can't be a doctor, if you read that, then you read wrong. Try again.

Style

Banned
I had a hunch in the previous round that Crimson was working with the wolves, but it feels like more than a hunch after Drop got cut. By hunch I mean that I can't give a well elaborated read, but I still feel like something is wrong. ヽ(。_°)ノ

Style

Banned
Why would the wolves even target the double voter if another player gets the mantle directly anyway? Seems like a setup to let Crimson get the power.

I had a hunch in the previous round that Crimson was working with the wolves, but it feels like more than a hunch after Drop got cut. By hunch I mean that I can't give a well elaborated read, but I still feel like something is wrong. ヽ(。_°)ノ
Are there any specific posts that make you suspicious, or does the bulk of the suspicion come from Drop's death?

Top Bottom