• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Magazine News for 2/2/10 -- The Check Bounces

Bebpo

Banned
Error said:
34/40 is pretty low for a DQ. Is it just a port with enhanced visuals? what about gameplay stuff?

disappointed if nothing was improved gameplay wise, horii dropped the ball with this one.

Out of curiousity, what changes were there for DQIV on PS1 and DQV on PS2 to the original besides just enhanced visuals (and audio in DQV's case)?

I never played any of the SFC/NES-era DQ originals.

Rpgmonkey

duckroll said:
In general - content. MGS3 Subsistence also got reviewed, but I do not think MGS2 Substance did. If there is a substantial amount of new content, a game gets reviewed again. Otherwise it doesn't.

Ah, thanks.

Guess it really will be a pretty straightforward port.

Bebpo said:
Out of curiousity, what changes were there for DQIV on PS1 and DQV on PS2 to the original besides just enhanced visuals (and audio in DQV's case)?

Aside from the visual/audio stuff:

DQIV - Hero Prologue, Sixth Chapter, Immigrant Town, Bag, Monster Picture Book, ability to turn on manual control for other party members, rebalancing of enemy HP/XP/GP earned, UI streamlining.

DQV - New recruitable monsters, ability to use four characters in battle instead of just three, some additional scenes to make Flora less of a surprise buttsecks, regional knick-knacks added along with museum to display them, some dungeons altered, Bag, Monster Picture Book, walking speed increased, rebalancing of enemy HP/XP/GP earned, UI streamlining.

cacildo said:
So, Reginleiv got 28/40

It is....kind of a low score.... dont you think?

Not really for this type of game. Earth Defense Force 2017 has a 69 on Metacritic so this is pretty in line.

Kishgal

Banned
I'm only about an hour into DQ6 DS, but so far, it really isn't much of an improvement over the original. I actually think it's a visual downgrade in some cases, in fact. There are some good things, though, like much faster battles and a non-gimped bag. I also know that they changed the beastmaster class so it can't recruit monsters anymore. I'm hoping for more improvements, but not holding my breath. It's shaping up to be the least substantial DQ remake.

Bebpo

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Aside from the visual/audio stuff:

DQIV - Hero Prologue, Sixth Chapter, Immigrant Town, Bag, Monster Picture Book, ability to turn on manual control for other party members, rebalancing of enemy HP/XP/GP earned, UI streamlining.

DQV - New recruitable monsters, ability to use four characters in battle instead of just three, some additional scenes to make Flora less of a surprise buttsecks, regional knick-knacks added along with museum to display them, some dungeons altered, Bag, Monster Picture Book, walking speed increased, rebalancing of enemy HP/XP/GP earned, UI streamlining.

So would you say that the difference with DQVI is that the original had most of these gameplay/gui improvements already so there wasn't a whole lot to change gameplay-wise for the DS one?

I'm not super far in the DS one, but gameplay-wise it feels at the same level as DQIVr/Vr and I don't really see anything to complain about.

GhaleonQ

Kishgal said:
I'm only about an hour into DQ6 DS, but so far, it really isn't much of an improvement over the original. I actually think it's a visual downgrade in some cases, in fact. There are some good things, though, like much faster battles and a non-gimped bag. I also know that they changed the beastmaster class so it can't recruit monsters anymore. I'm hoping for more improvements, but not holding my breath. It's shaping up to be the least substantial DQ remake.

And I believe II, IV, V, and VIII (now IX?) are the most popular ones in Japan, so I wonder whether it's the game or the lack of enhancements that penalized it.

Bebpo said:
So would you say that the difference with DQVI is that the original had most of these gameplay/gui improvements already so there wasn't a whole lot to change gameplay-wise for the DS one?

I'm not super far in the DS one, but gameplay-wise it feels at the same level as DQIVr/Vr and I don't really see anything to complain about.
Well, the original was the introduction of the bag, and they have tweaked it to bring it up to speed with the modern version. I think the UI tweaks are in this one as well, and it certainly has that "blazing fast" quality I associate with the DS remakes.

I think a lot of people were looking for some re-balancing and tweaking of the job system, and of course additions on the level of DQIV's extra content are always appreciated but probably not expected.

Part of the problem is that DQVI SFC was a really good looking game, so it's not enjoying quit the jump in visuals that DQIV NES -> PSX or DQV SFC -> PS2 did.

It's my first time playing the game too, so I'm having fun and the fact that it's not much improved over the original is of little consequence to me.

Kishgal

Banned
Bebpo said:

I haven't heard anything about any major new addition that's in line with DQ4's chapter 6, or even the sugoroku boards in 5. DQ3 got a new class, and end-game content, DQ4 and DQ5 got what Segata mentioned... DQ6 just got slime curling? And DQ5 DS got a touch screen minigame too, so that's not much of a consolation. I was hoping for a new class in DQ6, at the very least.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Bebpo said:

Original DQ4, only the hero was controllable in battles. kinda like P3.

Original DQ5 only 3 party members, the remake allowed for 4 party members.

mutsu

The gameplay in the original DQ6 is already much refined, so I guess it's difficult to make much more dramatic improvements to it.

That, or the SE just thinks that this is one of the less popular DQ games and can't be bothered putting much effort in it. Compared with DQ4 and DQ5, it definitely is the worst of the three.

Kishgal

Banned
mutsu said:
The gameplay in the original DQ6 is already much refined, so I guess it's difficult to make much more dramatic improvements to it.

That, or the SE just thinks that this is one of the less popular DQ games and can't be bothered putting much effort in it. Compared with DQ4 and DQ5, it definitely is the worst of the three.
DQ6 is one of my favorites in the series. I feel like it deserved much better.

"Worst DQ" doesn't mean much, anyway, since the whole series is amazing.

mutsu

Kishgal said:
DQ6 is one of my favorites in the series. I feel like it deserved much better.

"Worst DQ" doesn't mean much, anyway, since the whole series is amazing.

Looking at my avatar I think you know I adore the DQ series :lol

Yes I like DQ6 too, just saying it's not as good as 4 and 5. Different people definitely feels differently.

And yes along with DQ7 this has my favourite job system. Which is why I really look forward to playing this again.

I hope Nintendo doesn't pull bullshit where they wait on the sales of a game in one country before they bring it to North America.

Disaster Day of Crisis & Another Code R are wonderful games, fuck you NoA or whoever calls the shots. :/

Where is Sin & Punishment 2? And please bring Reginleiv here dammit...

Ivy the Kiwi? Really? ...

MidnightScott said:
I hope Nintendo doesn't pull bullshit where they wait on the sales of a game in one country before they bring it to North America.

Nintendo would like to be just like Namco and not bother releasing games that would actually make them more money, and not ever say a word about them, and watch all the prospective customers flail their hands at the mercy of these developers who rule us with an iron fist.

Except in the case of Nintendo, they can unfortunately get away with these kinds of shenanigans since they've replaced their toilet paper with the surplus of thousand yen notes they've got piled high to the ceiling in all of their offices.

Namco on the other hand...

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
IlliterateBookworm (from the Namco thread) said:
Wah wah wah... Namco doesn't make enough money- how about they release some fucking games outside of Japan once in a while!

"Bu bu bu but we want to make more money! Nobody buys our games! We're doing everything we can!" The execs all cry in sadness. BULLSHIT.

They put out a SHIT TON of games between 2008 and 2009, and we barely saw a FRACTION of them released outside of Japan.

They want some money? Fucking give us some games then! Did they release anything in the west for the DS or PSP in the last two years? Fuck if I know! I've yet to see them if them did. I can't think of anything outside of maybe the Dragonball Z game. Anything else?

...and Ben 10? Fucking Ben 10? Forgive my ignorance on the subject, but while it's a Bandai property, did they even have anything to do with the development/ publishing of it? I thought D3 put it out.

Seriously, nothing gets me riled up more than the sheer SHIT FOR BRAINS MORONS that they've got calling the shots for Bandai in the US. What a waste of time, talent, money, and fun that these guys refuse to let anyone outside of Japan enjoy in a language they can understand.

...and my catharsis is complete. I've had this boiling in me for a long time.
IlliterateBookworm said:
Nintendo would like to be just like Namco and not bother releasing games that would actually make them more money, and not ever say a word about them, and watch all the prospective customers flail their hands at the mercy of these developers who rule us with an iron fist.

Except in the case of Nintendo, they can unfortunately get away with these kinds of shenanigans since they've replaced their toilet paper with the surplus of thousand yen notes they've got piled high to the ceiling in all of their offices.

Namco on the other hand...
What are you, lucablight's alt account?

I am kind of dissapointed by Reginlev scores but, I'm still holding out hope that it's a pretty cool game. Based on some impressions from sp0rk and a few other in the Reginlev thread, it sounded like a badass kind of game. But I guess we'll see.

Issun23

Quick summary of the interview with Fumito Ueda about The Last Guardian:

- The game uses gameplay elements from ICO and Shadow of the Colossus, like climbing, grabbing, etc...
- The team is paying great attention to make Toriko's movements look smooth and the levels look as natural as possible.
- Ueda was very surprised at how the world, especially the West, reacted to the game's reveal at E3. He's very happy about the positive reaction.
- Because of this the team is feeling greater pressure than ever before.
- They're really trying to make Toriko look real and alive. That's where the team is focusing their efforts.
- The animations of the characters are tied to the physics engine. They're really trying to make movements look natural.
- The new physics engine has improved how the characters connect with each other.
- New information could come at E3 or TGS or any point during the year, it hasn't been decided yet.
- The game will be different and fun.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This is from a different Japanese magazine, but it looks like Konami is releasing Fairy Tail: Portable Guild for what seems to be the PSP.

It kind of looks like Monster Hunter crossed with the Naruto PSP games.

Nirolak said:
This is from a different Japanese magazine, but it looks like Konami is releasing Fairy Tail: Portable Guild for what seems to be the PSP.

It kind of looks like Monster Hunter crossed with the Naruto PSP games.
Yup, MH clone for both actually. The latest Naruto PSP announced is also multiplayer-oriented.

Btw, Winning Eleven 2010: Aoki Samurai no Chousen (Young Samurai Challenge) announced:
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/02/03/new_winning_eleven/

Due out in Spring for PS3, PS2, PSP and Wii. "This off season Winning Eleven gives players the chance to lead the Japanese National Team to the top of the world. The game is officially licensed and features realistic recreations of players, emblems and uniforms."

I'm surprised they aren't doing 2011 in Spring to take advantage of the World Cup. They did in 2006 with WE10 on PS2 (launched April 27th). Also in 2002 WE6 PS2 launched April 25th.

Mandoric

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Yup, MH clone for both actually. The latest Naruto PSP announced is also multiplayer-oriented.

Btw, Winning Eleven 2010: Aoki Samurai no Chousen (Young Samurai Challenge) announced:
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/02/03/new_winning_eleven/

Due out in Spring for PS3, PS2, PSP and Wii. "This off season Winning Eleven gives players the chance to lead the Japanese National Team to the top of the world. The game is officially licensed and features realistic recreations of players, emblems and uniforms."

I'm surprised they aren't doing 2011 in Spring to take advantage of the World Cup. They did in 2006 with WE10 on PS2 (launched April 27th). Also in 2002 WE6 PS2 launched April 25th.

While one can be blue as in wet behind the ears, here it's just "Blue Samurai Challenge"; that's the nickname of the Japanese national team, comparable to Canarinho or A Seleção for Brazil.

mutsu said:

I like DQVI a lot better than IV :p
But yes, it's one of the less popular ones, for some reason. But still, that score isn't that low, iirc the PS2 version of DQV got a 34, too. And the original DQVI.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I found this on a forum (anyone wanna translate just in case?), Famitsu interviews:

http://ameblo.jp/pafunyan/entry-10449569480.html

Aonuma: The new zelda will use the Motion plus, trying to get the demo for E3 and release as fast as possible

SquareEnix: will have something exciting for summer break related to DQ, also have 5 new games (not DQ related) that still unannounced. Tries to release 2 of those new games this year.

KOEI Koinuma: Thinks Sengoku 3 managed to broaden the users (more players than the previous series), and the reason he makes Hokutou Musou is bcus he loved Hokutou no Ken

Kojima: MGSPW's main story is longer than any other MGS series, he believes this is MGSPW's year, and expect big things from it. He said 3DTV will become standard...when asked about making a new game for the next gen console, he answered that he wants to, but it'll be awhile

Nintendo Sakamoto: The development of Metroid: the other M is doing well. said the game can only be realized on Wii

Suda: No more heroes 2 will be released in Japan shortly

Konami (WE): New WE is in the making, about 30% completed. Targeting November-December release. This is a new WE, unlike previous entries which based on PS2 engine

Capcom Takumi: Don't expect him to say anything about the next Ace Attorney

Capcom Takeuchi: RE5 complete version is a his expression of grattitude to people who played RE5.

SE Tanaka: FF14's Beta will start when they finish it, can't say when.

Capcom Tsujimoto: When asked about the next MH, he replied "well, I don't know about that". Asked if there will be a surprise announcement, he replied "just look forward to it (laughs)"

Terada: Not enough appeal for Super Robot wars Neo and academy, expect new game announcement.

Niino: want's to make a new Seventh Dragon game, wants to make a JRPG in 2011

Hino (level 5?): He feels that there will be a surpised announcement at this year's presentation (he said that with a laugh at the end); A new RPG is in the making, announcement soon

Matsuyama: A brand new game is in development

Tales of: Can't say anything right now, but it'll surprise you (something unexpected)

Dascu

Aonuma: The new zelda will use the Motion plus, trying to get the demo for E3 and release as fast as possible
Yay.
SquareEnix: will have something exciting for summer break related to DQ, also have 5 new games (not DQ related) that still unannounced. Tries to release 2 of those new games this year.
You know, with DQX supposedly coming to the Wii, they really ought to support the console a bit more. I'm shocked there hasn't been an announcement of a DQS2 with motionplus yet.
KOEI Koinuma: Thinks Sengoku 3 managed to broaden the users (more players than the previous series), and the reason he makes Hokutou Musou is bcus he loved Hokutou no Ken
Didn't they complain about its sales?
Suda: No more heroes 2 will be released in Japan shortly
Wonder if it'll be censored.
Niino: want's to make a new Seventh Dragon game, wants to make a JRPG in 2011
Cool. When's the game going to be released overseas by the way?
Hino (level 5?): He feels that there will be a surpised announcement at this year's presentation (he said that with a laugh at the end); A new RPG is in the making, announcement soon
Maybe give some info on your other games first.
Tales of: Can't say anything right now, but it'll surprise you (something unexpected)
Hopefully they're going to stop making these awful Tales games.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Dascu said:

Or localize Tales of Vesperia PS3~

Dascu said:
You know, with DQX supposedly coming to the Wii, they really ought to support the console a bit more. I'm shocked there hasn't been an announcement of a DQS2 with motionplus yet.

Or a DQVII Remake.

ILikeFeet

Banned
just saw Super Robot Taisen scans. HOLY SHIT! Ashen is part of the Orchestral Army (and they are all supports! including Katz!). and looks like Cardia will be returning as an enemy. 3 new characters (enemies) were also shown.

A new Seventh Dragon? Cool...but where's the first in English? :(
RPGManiac said:
A DQVII Wiimake would be awesome
That would be splendid.

Level 5, just show us more Ninokuni, really. And Ushiro. That's all I ask.

Dascu said:
You mean Tempest and KoR? Yeah, hopefully. Instead give us more awesome like Rebirth, Destinyr, Abyss, Hearts etc and Graces (from the looks of things; haven't yet played).

RPGManiac

Banned
Magicpaint said:
A new Seventh Dragon? Cool...but where's the first in English? :(

That would be splendid.

Level 5, just show us more Ninokuni, really. And Ushiro. That's all I ask.
Agreed, I've been waiting too long for these two Level 5, pleeeease finish them and localize them both

Concerning Level-5... How is it possible that they're working on so many games? They're supposed to have Professor Layton 5 (DS), Ni no Kuni (DS+Console), Little Battlers (PSP), Ushiro (PSP), White Knight Chronicles 2 (PS3) and Inazuma Eleven Break (Console) in development. Have some projects been put on hold?

[Nintex]

Glass Soldier said:
Concerning Level-5... How is it possible that they're working on so many games? They're supposed to have Professor Layton 5 (DS), Ni no Kuni (DS+Console), Little Battlers (PSP), Ushiro (PSP), White Knight Chronicles 2 (PS3) and Inazuma Eleven Break (Console) in development. Have some projects been put on hold?
I think they're one of the few companies who made money this generation. Maybe they expanded?

[Nintex] said:
I think they're one of the few companies who made money this generation. Maybe they expanded?

Could be, the last employee count is from September 2007 (150, unquoted though) so they might have hired more people. It's really nice to see at least one dev with a nice and firm place in the industry.

Spiegel

Glass Soldier said:

Yeah, Ushiro and Inazuma Eleven Break were put on hold last year.

Top Bottom