• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM (2016) to be 1080p and 60fps on both Consoles

With the debut of a new DOOM comes a new engine: idTech 6. So what can players expect from idTech 6? “We want players to wonder how DOOM and idTech 6 games can be so visually stunning at 60 frames-per-second at 1080p on all platforms, when other titles cannot even achieve a similar look at 30 frames-per-second,” says Lead Project Programmer Billy Khan. “Our goal is to be the best-looking game at 1080p at 60fps.”

https://bethesda.net/#en/events/game/22-reasons-to-love-doom-part-3/2016/02/24/82

That's great - but is this just using the RAGE engine again?

Sorry if stupid, I really haven't been following this stuff recently.

EDIT: Apologies, by RAGE engine I meant the engine that powered Rage (IdTech5), not Rockstar's engine.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
That's great - but is this just using the RAGE engine again?

Sorry if stupid, I really haven't been following this stuff recently.

It's the follow-up engine.

It's built from the previous one, but they dropped megatextures, and worked on modernizing the rendering engine a lot, among the other types of upgrades you'd expect.

Awesome! makes me wonder though if there engine is all the demanding? But good either way, doom shouldnt be played at any less than 60 fps

It's built from the previous one, but they dropped megatextures, and worked on modernizing the rendering engine a lot, among the other types of upgrades you'd expect.

It is also making me extremely nervous on the PC front that it will take a little too much after idtech 5: which has an incomprehensible performance profile amond...ehem... a 60fps lock! :X

dugdug

Banned
when other titles cannot even achieve a similar look at 30 frames-per-second,” says Lead Project Programmer Billy Khan.

Kind of a shitty way to talk about your game, but, hey, hope you can deliver on your promise.

No, it's using IdTech6 instead of IdTech5.

Sounds great, impressed to see they're still focusing on 60fps performance then for this generation.
RAGE engine can't do 1080p/60 in it's wildest dreams lol.

??

It did 720p/60 on 360, why wouldn't it do 1080p/60 for new-gen? Regardless, kind of moot now as I didn't know it was using a newer engine.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Sounds great, impressed to see they're still focusing on 60fps performance then for this generation.
Here are a couple of screenshots they released this month from gameplay perspectives:

image_doom-30939-3000_0001.jpg

image_doom-30770-3000_0002.jpg

Akronis

But that was a different and a heavily criticized engine.

Hope that it runs well on all platforms. I'll get it on PC when I eventually play it.

I doubt they made significant changes to how the engine works in one iteration, but we'll see.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
This is locked to 60fps on PC right? Just like every other idTech 5 game :/ (idTech6 is just an upgraded idTech 5 if I've understood it right)

Well it's good that consoles get the 60fps experience at least, hope it's a stable 60fps.

Here are a couple of screenshots they released this month from gameplay perspectives:

Screenshots are less impressive! Honestly though, I just love the fluidity of 60fps and will take that over 30fps with better graphics for a FPS - it's what made Wolfenstein feel so good on consoles. Sucks for PC gamers though hoping for better assets.

Hopefully true. PS4 will be my console of choice for this game and I hope it looks good. That said, some of the gameplay choices they've made turns me off, but that's between me and the game.

Will this game suffer from parity issues too, or will PS4 have improvement in other areas due to the more powerful hardware?

1080p and 60 fps on both consoles? I wonder if this is going to lead to the same "parity outcry" we experienced with the Division before we learned the differences between the two consoles.

Mivey

It is also making me extremely nervous on the PC front that it will take a little too much after idtech 5: which has an incomprehensible performance profile amond...ehem... a 60fps lock! :X
The benchmarks of the Beta showed that it favored AMD hardware. Admittedly, that is still a Beta and they probably haven't finished optimising everything, but could be interesting if they are going for a rendering approach that works better with AMD's GCN and less so on Kepler and Maxwell.

If they really removed Megatextures, I'd be impressed. Was the single one thing ruining the texture quality in that game, like everything has a vasoline filter over it + compression artefacts even on highest quality setting, while using all the VRAM, since that is literally how that thing was designed. Still mindboggling that this weird experiment by Carmak was actually used in a few AAA games by now.

Pushing for 1080p60fps is commendable and all, but

“We want players to wonder how DOOM and idTech 6 games can be so visually stunning at 60 frames-per-second at 1080p on all platforms, when other titles cannot even achieve a similar look at 30 frames-per-second,” says Lead Project Programmer Billy Khan. “Our goal is to be the best-looking game at 1080p at 60fps.”

That's certainly not what this game is.

Hopefully true. PS4 will be my console of choice for this game and I hope it looks good. That said, some of the gameplay choices they've made turns me off, but that's between me and the game.

Will this game suffer from parity issues too, or will PS4 have improvement in other areas due to the more powerful hardware?

Why not just enjoy the game and stop caring about this parity nonsense?

lazygecko

I remember back when Carmack said that RAGE was developed for 60fps, while Doom 4 was instead targeting 30fps. I'm glad they backtracked on that. Hopefully the decision was also based on having more enemies onscreen.

It's also more in line with the original Doom development philosophy. You have to remember that the engine was deliberately developed to facilitate fast paced arcade gameplay, and not so much cutting edge visuals. There were more advanced, true 3D engines around for PC at the time but they were all really slow and choppy, and that's what id didn't like about them.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

id Tech 6 still uses virtual textures. One of the data folders for the alpha is literally "virtualtextures" a la Rage and Wolf14 (I'd say The Evil Within, too, but that I don't have installed).

Is it still going to be OGL based?

Yes.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
So what extras do you get with the PS4 version given it's a much more powerful console relative to Xbox One?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
id Tech 6 still uses virtual textures. One of the data folders for the alpha is literally "virtualtextures" a la Rage and Wolf14 (I'd say The Evil Within, too, but that I don't have installed).

I'm assuming they switched to the modernized version of the concept we see in newer games like current Frostbite titles or Far Cry 4: http://twvideo01.ubm-us.net/o1/vault/gdc2015/presentations/Chen_Ka_AdaptiveVirtualTexture.pdf

Otherwise Pete Hines' statement doesn't make much sense: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1066174

Top Bottom