• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM (2016) to be 1080p and 60fps on both Consoles

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
-whisper- dynamic res

If its like any of the other '1080p' ID tech games, it'll hold 1080p on PS4 80 to 90% of the time and XB1 will go down to 1080pr almost constantly

But every game should cater to its specific hardware, thats the point.
Developers like DICE optimize based on the hardware, yes, that's what they're supposed to do and they're right in doing so.

His case is that because the PS4 is more powerful hardware, there should always be an advantage given to it.

If a developer hits the "ceiling" (1080p, 60fps) on both platforms and feels as if they have achieved the experience they want equally on both platforms, they shouldn't be forced to include more bells and whistles to appease the console-war waging crowd. It's unnecessary, ridiculous and childish to demand more than is necessary to convey the performance and visual experience they want to deliver.

Also, I have every platform and don't have a skewed preference towards any of them, so my point is that we should celebrate the times where a developer achieves parity, not demean them or accuse them of incompetence.

It is also making me extremely nervous on the PC front that it will take a little too much after idtech 5: which has an incomprehensible performance profile amond...ehem... a 60fps lock! :X

And no SLI

Weren't the PC benchmarks for this pretty bad? I mean I think the 1920x1080 fps with SLI 980ti's was like 50-60fps average.

Doesn't matter, SLI has never worked in this engine and I doubt it will for this game either. I'd love to be wrong about that though...

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Your tag makes your post more comedic, but at the same time, more anger-inducing.

Don't be an ass and knock off the other platforms to justify your purchase decision, alright?
Yes, the PS4 is more powerful.

No, it's not a NASA Super Computer, nor will every game be specifically catered to the hardware's strengths.

Fear not. I'm going to be playing this on my GTX 970.

MMaRsu

Banned
Developers like DICE optimize based on the hardware, yes, that's what they're supposed to do and they're right in doing so.

His case is that because the PS4 is more powerful hardware, there should always be an advantage given to it.

If a developer hits the "ceiling" (1080p, 60fps) on both platforms and feels as if they have achieved the experience they want equally on both platforms, they shouldn't be forced to include more bells and whistles to appease the console-war waging crowd. It's unnecessary, ridiculous and childish to demand more than is necessary to convey the performance and visual experience they want to deliver.

Also, I have every platform and don't have a skewed preference towards any of them, so my point is that we should celebrate the times where a developer achieves parity, not demean them or accuse them of incompetence.

Parity isnt good when its to the detriment of another platform tho. Look at AC Unity being 900p on PS4.

If there is extra headroom, why not include more bells and whistles so to speak?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Yeah, it would be a shame to let that power go to waste.

I only have a R9 280x

I am going to wait until the reviews are in before committing....

To be honest. I'm torn. I do like gaming on my PS4. I will wait until the face off comes out.

Awesome news! 60fps does so much for the feel of a game and coming back to 60fps games years later makes them stay very relevant.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Tearaway Unfolded which was coded by one man at Media Molecule.
That opens up a whole can of worms around art direction and what not. It certainly is lovely, though.

Wolfenstein used it...

Guess what framerate and resolution that was?
Well, he did say RAGE engine, not id Tech 5 so he must be talking about Rockstar's engine.

Breakbeat

Banned
Carmack said a lot of interesting things a while ago about hybrid tri/voxel rendering in IdTech6, using voxels for things like terrain. Do we know if any of that tech actually came to fruition?

highly doubt it will be 1080p 60 on the xbox one.

"1080PR" then yes

Ive played the alpha on both and there wasnt really a difference in resolution.. so it most likely is 1080p on Xbone too.
And i mean the game really isnt pushing big outdoor maps or something. It can be possible.

Carmack said a lot of interesting things a while ago about hybrid tri/voxel rendering in IdTech6, using voxels for things like terrain. Do we know if any of that tech actually came to fruition?

Not to the level he suggested, but tech is in the wild that uses similar techniques. Voxels are used for a lot of GI solutions. JC wanted to go further and virtualise the geometry using a similar page in memory / disk swap technique with octrees, meaning that as you approach an object, the octree is drilled into to show more detail where it's needed, and the Voxels are stored in pages within this structure. It's similar to what i explained about MT earlier, but an Octree is a more complex structure. Voxels can look weird close up though, so it might suffer when really tiny details are needed. For GI such a solution would have limited value, as you can "fill in the gaps" so to speak.

People do realise that there can be mroe than one bottleneck in any given system meaning 50% gains in one part of the rendering core can be undermined by the worst performing aspect of the engine, and not everything can be optimized out right? Right? Just because they've reached 1080p60 on both systems, doesn't mean the more powerful one has a ton of headroom and that there is a parity clause.

I really dont understand how someone can be mad about a game being 1080/60 on both consoles. At that point it really doesnt matter which one is more or less powerful.

KORNdoggy

Tbh it only looks marginally better then halo 5 which achieved something similar so its not that shocking tbh. Its just not much of a looker. Much like wolfenstein wasn't. Can't wait for it though.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Here are a couple of screenshots they released this month from gameplay perspectives:

In theory does this mean this game could be used for PSVR since it's 60 fps? Can't they use the their algorithm to "up" that to 120 fps in the headset?

Or is this the type of game where they just would work?

nkarafo

Nothing is wrong with 60fps, but running a game at 60fps on a closed hardware platform demands sacrifice.
If you go for the best graphics possible path, you sacrifice frame rate.

Sacrificing frame rate is also a sacrifice. I don't get why sacrificing graphics detail is the only one that we should care for? It's just a matter of picking your poison.

rjc571

Banned
...at the cost of fluidity and overall image quality. Your flippant attitude is misdirected, by the way, as I'm not saying I prefer 1080p30 to 1080p60 (I do own a PS4 and Wii U, but my primary gaming platform is a custom PC); I was merely delineating the logic -- that is, some people would prefer to see 1080p30 than 1080p60 because 30fps is high enough and gives developer an extra 16.66ms to play with. A fact you'd be acutely aware of if you hadn't thought it prudent to jump in mid-discussion in an attempt to make me look like a fool.

Why are you acting so defensive? I'm just pointing out the obvious -- you can always sacrifice framerate and resolution for better graphics. Games are still technically playable at 720p and 20 fps, and a lot of people (on these very message boards, even) apparently want their games to run at the minimum acceptable framerate and resolution in order to achieve the best visuals possible, so aiming for 1080p and 30 fps would be a waste of resources in their eyes.

Red Hood

Banned
“We want players to wonder how DOOM and idTech 6 games can be so visually stunning at 60 frames-per-second at 1080p on all platforms"

Can this mean that Dishonored 2 is 1080/60 as well? Since the Void Engine is supposed to be a slightly modified idTech6, or was it idTech5?

Not that I care a lot since I'll be playing it on PC, but it would be awesome news for console owners.

Flintty

Will this game suffer from parity issues too, or will PS4 have improvement in other areas due to the more powerful hardware?

I came here expecting to see this on the first page and there it is /facepalm

Impressive if they can pull it off on Xbox One but I shall wait and see. I stopped playing Doom 3 because of anxiety (no torch whilst holdong a gun? Hell no!) so I'm not sure if I'll get this but I will be interested to see how it turns out.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Competitive MP players should have their 60 Hz framerate, but especially thinking about consoles and not super high powered gaming rigs... I would have preferred 30 Hz with high quality per object and camer motion blur to allow graphics to shine even more: framerate would have been smooth enough for classic Doom SP and it would have been easier to target a very large number of high quality enemies at once in very large and potentially overdraw heavy arenas. Doom should make no compromises about those two, assuming framerate is smooth enough (30 FPS with good motion blur is enough for SP, 60 FPS with good motion blur is even better but I do not think the compromises it requires make it necessarily a better Doom game at least for SP gameplay... painting single player with the same brush as competitive MP does not do SP an favours).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Why are you acting so defensive? I'm just pointing out the obvious -- you can always sacrifice framerate and resolution for better graphics. Games are still technically playable at 720p and 20 fps, and a lot of people (on these very message boards, even) apparently want their games to run at the minimum acceptable framerate and resolution in order to achieve the best visuals possible, so aiming for 1080p and 30 fps would be a waste of resources in their eyes.

I took issue with the phrasing of your post because it literally begins with the words "Might as well", which is the rolling of the eyes in text form and thus sets the tone of the post. I appreciate that, here, you're presenting your argument in good faith, but as I've already explained, 720p is less than half the resolution of 1080p and adversely impacts image quality, including perceived texture resolution, and 20fps, while technically meaning the game is running and thus technically playable, isn't a framerate most would consider "smooth" when considered within the context of people who are familiar enough with the reality of game development to know why they'd prefer 1080p30 to 1080p60; furthermore, you quantify 720p20 as the "minimum acceptable framerate and resolution", however the logical conclusion to draw from the fact that some specify 1080p30 is that 1080p30 is where they draw the line in that regard. "But you can go lower!" is the very definition of a moot point as going lower is something they're already aware of -- 1080p30 isn't the same thing as 1080p60, after all.

If you go for the best graphics possible path, you sacrifice frame rate.

Sacrificing frame rate is also a sacrifice. I don't get why sacrificing graphics detail is the only one that we should care for? It's just a matter of picking your poison.

Sure, and I could have specified what form the sacrifices take, but really, that'd needn't be said. After all, I'm sure people who prefer 1080p30 to 1080p60 because 30fps can result in higher visual fidelity are aware that 30fps is slower than 60fps. ;)

Hermii

Battlefront might be, but that's not how I interpreted that quote. To me it sounded like "The best looking game, period, AND it's 1080p60fps."

Not how I interpreted it. Obviously it won't be the best looking game period. Battlefront isn't 1080p.

Top Bottom