• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM (2016) to be 1080p and 60fps on both Consoles

Navid

Great news, the multiplayer alpha felt great frame-rate wise so it's nice to hear that it will translate to the single player portion of the game as well.

So glad that they ID still targets 60fps for consoles and the games visuals are looking really great.

If it follows the trend of their prior games, the install size of this thing is gonna be ridiculous.

1080p60 is cool though

Well with the size of many games already this gen, its doesn't standout as much anymore for what it's worth.

All i know is that i can't wait for Doom, the game looks like a blast to play.

Just running around killing aliens in a very satisfying way in 60/1080p gonna be great.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
With respect, I think you're jumping to conclusions. "virtual textures" is a catch-all phrase describing any system in which texture resolution is resolved at run-time. Even if the implementation behind the scenes was changed completely, the interface through which the rest of the engine accesses these textures most likely stayed the same.

Hines' comment is literally the only point of data that suggests id Tech 6 is not using the same underlying virtual texture system, but he's not a developer and was categorically incorrect about id Tech 5 not supporting dynamic lighting. I wouldn't say calling into question the accuracy of his statement is jumping to conclusions.

c0de

I'm looking forward to seeing face off to see the technical differences.

I'm sure dynamic horizontal resolution differences between platforms will be quite interesting.

Well, perhaps they made some substantial changes like an equivalent to more grass to make some people happy.

Hines' comment is literally the only point of data that suggests id Tech 6 is not using the same underlying virtual texture system, but he's not a developer and was categorically incorrect about id Tech 5 not supporting dynamic lighting.

Remember, John Carmack implemented VT in software, you can now do it better in hardware.

Trace

Banned
If someone forgot there is some Doom 4 alpha tests

d_1920.jpg

Everyone can safely ignore these, they have no relevance to the release game.

Genio88

I guess it's possible, unlike Rage or the latest Wolfenstein games, Doom seems to have smaller and "indoor" only locations, also looks pretty linear

thelastword

Banned
Not exactly fair to downgrade the PS4 version just to get 1080p @ 60fps on Xbox One is it?
I hope this game gets it's fair share of better effects, shadows, AA and filtering on the PS4, due to the extra GPU boost, but I'm always happy when developers aim for 60fps and also keep an eye for good graphics as well. I can't say enough of how impressive MGS5 looks and how well it performs to boot.

Unlike MGS5 which is 900p on XB1, the PS4 has more headroom to do more with it's GPU since the XB1 version is 1080p on this game.

Pushing for 1080p60fps is commendable and all, but

That's certainly not what this game is.
Doom was on the best graphics list on many E3 roundups, it's a very nice looking game with some great effects and a silky smooth framerate. There are a million sub 30fps shooters on these consoles that don't look better.

Well that's pretty damn impressive, but they did say it last year during E3 in a article that they were going for 1080p/60fps. I really don't believe it will look as good as the E3 footage though. I wish we had some campaign footage on console already.

EGM1966

ITT: People over overestimating the power gap between PS4 and Xbox One.
Not really. But I'd rather people avoid that kind of arguing.

If they went for parity they went for parity: if games good that's what matters.

I'm expecting dynamic resolution on both with XB1 dropping resolution more often but otherwise mostly identical looking game on each.

60fps is main thing for me for game.

Doom was on the best graphics list on many E3 roundups, it's a very nice looking game with some great effects and a silky smooth framerate. There are a million sub 30fps shooters on these consoles that don't look better.

Again, my post was made with the interpretation that Doom would be the best looking game on consoles, period, despite being 60fps.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I hope this game gets it's fair share of better effects, shadows, AA and filtering on the PS4, due to the extra GPU boost, but I'm always happy when developers aim for 60fps and also keep an eye for good graphics as well. I can't say enough of how impressive MGS5 looks and how well it performs to boot.

Well that's what I'm hoping for. It really should do. I'm not keen on parity.

thelastword

Banned
Well that's what I'm hoping for. It really should do. I'm not keen on parity.
I'm not keen on parity either, but I'd like to give ID the benefit of the doubt here....The extra GPU power should manifest into other things on PS4 surely....AF, AA, Effects, AO, Shadows.....it has to.

I made a game that runs 60hz at 4K on Xbox one. Here is a screen shot below.

O
/|
/

In other words hold on to your butts this game is going to be missing a few features.

Spoo

Sounds great.

Was there ever any analysis done on the XO version of the alpha to determine if it was running at 1080p, or using a dynamic buffer instead? I kind of envision that that will be the go-to solution in the end, so people concerned about parity can probably relax a bit. If both games run at 1080p/60fps, and look 1:1, I really don't think that's a problem (on the contrary, I think that's a case of really setting your sight on some good design and technical philosophies early on); and of course PC users can reasonably expect to go beyond even that.

MiguelItUp

The game looks pretty bad during the Alpha so I think them can do it, we'll see how it performs in SP.

I didn't think so at all. But to each their own. Not to mention I wouldn't be surprised if they're able to squeeze out a bit more. This isn't even out yet and it's looking to be a if not the GOTY for me personally. I hope it really sticks across the board.

rjc571

Banned
Sure. Like, if a developer were targeting Uncharted 4 visuals in its PS4 exclusive, then obviously it's not going to be a game with the scale of Grand Theft Auto or Elder Scrolls. But that's a moot point as a game running at 1080p30 most definitely offers a greater rendering budget than 1080p60.

Might as well make it 720p 20 fps, as this offers a much greater rendering budget than 1080p 30fps

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
rWQWfdS.jpg

For those wondering, seems like the fantastic motion blur is in on consoles (it wasn't in the alpha). Should look silky smooth at 60fps.

dr_rus

That's just using the latest GPU h/w for the same megatexturing approach instead of relying on CPU and some clever GPU programming. Gives performance, less CPU intensive and allows for stuff like AF 16x to work. People are reporting that the alpha still had the same visible texture loading at least.

I'd be surprised if they kept anything from the old renderer, I imagine they're also making a transition from the forward+ rendering of id Tech 5 to a more modern deferred system with emphasis on lighting and post-processing.

I'd also be pretty shocked if they kept using an OGL implementation, has that been confirmed anywhere?

Ehm, well, they've been keeping lots of stuff since GLQuake in each iteration. Don't see why this one would be different. Also - forward+ is a newer approach than deferred.

Bru

Not exactly fair to downgrade the PS4 version just to get 1080p @ 60fps on Xbox One is it?

Or to downgrade the PC version just to get 1080p @ 60fps on both PS4 and Xbox One.

Am I doing this correctly?

Parity whining already and the game isn't even out yet *shakes head in despair* Has gaming really come to this?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Might as well make it 720p 20 fps, as this offers a much greater rendering budget than 1080p 30fps

...at the cost of fluidity and overall image quality. Your flippant attitude is misdirected, by the way, as I'm not saying I prefer 1080p30 to 1080p60 (I do own a PS4 and Wii U, but my primary gaming platform is a custom PC); I was merely delineating the logic -- that is, some people would prefer to see 1080p30 than 1080p60 because 30fps is high enough and gives developer an extra 16.66ms to play with. A fact you'd be acutely aware of if you hadn't thought it prudent to jump in mid-discussion in an attempt to make me look like a fool.

johntown

Banned
Well now I have no real reason to get the PC version.

If the PS4 version will be 1080p60 then I will get that for sure.

ITT: People over overestimating the power gap between PS4 and Xbox One.

Yes, because the vast majority of multiplats this gen having a frame rate/resolution advantage or more graphic effects on screen on ps4 is simply a figment of peoples imagination.
Yes I have both systems and the gap is real and obvious.
Personally in the case of Doom it doesn't matter much to me as I will be getting the ps4 version.
However, pretending the gap between the systems isn't significant is disengous and intellectually dishonest.

Guys and gals, can we please not turn this thread into another console war battleground?

Let's focus on the good news for now. When Digital Foundry does their thing, then we can fight. :p

Your tag makes your post more comedic, but at the same time, more anger-inducing.

Don't be an ass and knock off the other platforms to justify your purchase decision, alright?
Yes, the PS4 is more powerful.

No, it's not a NASA Super Computer, nor will every game be specifically catered to the hardware's strengths.

MMaRsu

Banned
Your tag makes your post more comedic, but at the same time, more anger-inducing.

Don't be an ass and knock off the other platforms to justify your purchase decision, alright?
Yes, the PS4 is more powerful.

No, it's not a NASA Super Computer, nor will every game be specifically catered to the hardware's strengths.

But every game should cater to its specific hardware, thats the point.

Top Bottom