• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM (2016) to be 1080p and 60fps on both Consoles

cakely

Niiiiiice.

After watching this get played on Clueless Gamer I'm sort of excited for it.

It almost looks like a first-person "hotline miami". Brutal and a little silly. If the load times between player deaths are low it could be great.

If it follows the trend of their prior games, the install size of this thing is gonna be ridiculous.

1080p60 is cool though

dr_rus

It's the follow-up engine.

It's built from the previous one, but they dropped megatextures, and worked on modernizing the rendering engine a lot, among the other types of upgrades you'd expect.

Where did they say that they've dropped the megatextures?

swarley64

g2krcZY.gif

MiguelItUp

Awesome! I remember this being stated briefly in a lot of articles. This sounds much more like a confirmation than what was previously shown. I can't wait.

Gator86

Fuck yes. I'm always in favor of shooters doing what it takes to hit 60fps. Game seems like a clear rental, but this makes me a little more excited for it.

Tovarisc

The benchmarks of the Beta showed that it favored AMD hardware. Admittedly, that is still a Beta and they probably haven't finished optimising everything, but could be interesting if they are going for a rendering approach that works better with AMD's GCN and less so on Kepler and Maxwell.

Beta has not even started. What "benchmarks" we got were ran on very old Alpha build that was cracked and modified by DOOM community. Site that did testing didn't even have control over graphical settings as that build of the game apparently adjusted settings behind the curtains for HW available.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
whats wrong with 60fps? the Alpha felt great in 60

Nothing is wrong with 60fps, but running a game at 60fps on a closed hardware platform demands sacrifice.

I'm assuming they switched to the modernized version of the concept we see in newer games like current Frostbite titles or Far Cry 4: http://twvideo01.ubm-us.net/o1/vault/gdc2015/presentations/Chen_Ka_AdaptiveVirtualTexture.pdf

Otherwise Pete Hines' statement doesn't make much sense: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1066174

I don't think so. The structure is exactly the same: one large texture page file for one level. Additionally, virtual texturing as seen in id Tech 5 doesn't entirely preclude dynamic lighting as The Old Blood has it to some degree. I'd say Hines was either out of his depth or simply misspoke.

Elsolar

id Tech 6 still uses virtual textures. One of the data folders for the alpha is literally "virtualtextures" a la Rage and Wolf14 (I'd say The Evil Within, too, but that I don't have installed).

Every game uses virtual textures, "virtual" in a programming context usually refers to data (or behavior, as in virtual methods) that isn't resolved until the data is actually needed. So when the game engine sends a command like "render this texture on this tree in this location", it doesn't actually know what texture is going to be drawn until after it happens. This is basically how all open-world games are designed: They have default super low-res versions of the textures that render when the player is far away, as well as sexy HD textures that render when the player is close up.

Where did they say that they've dropped the megatextures?

I'd be surprised if they kept anything from the old renderer, I imagine they're also making a transition from the forward+ rendering of id Tech 5 to a more modern deferred system with emphasis on lighting and post-processing.

I'd also be pretty shocked if they kept using an OGL implementation, has that been confirmed anywhere?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
“Our goal is to be the best-looking game at 1080p at 60fps.”

Please, developers...code with this goal!

Not exactly fair to downgrade the PS4 version just to get 1080p @ 60fps on Xbox One is it?

Weren't the PC benchmarks for this pretty bad? I mean I think the 1920x1080 fps with SLI 980ti's was like 50-60fps average. Could have read that wrong but that's what I got from the graph.

mintylurb

It's not like doom is an open world game. I think with id's know-how, it's wholly possible to achieve visual fidelity of 1080P/30 fps game while maintain 60 fps. I believe in Carma..oh ;/

Tovarisc

Nothing is wrong with 60fps, but running a game at 60fps on a closed hardware platform demands sacrifice.

I would like if more developers sacrificed pretty pixels at altar of 60FPS. Something like Destiny is okay at locked 30, but would love me some Destiny PvP at 60.

Edit:
Weren't the PC benchmarks for this pretty bad? I mean I think the 1920x1080 fps with SLI 980ti's was like 50-60fps average. Could have read that wrong but that's what I got from the graph.

Those "benchmarks" were pure bullshit. Ran on very old Alpha build that was cracked and modified by DOOM community, zero control over graphical settings.

JaseC

Every game uses virtual textures, "virtual" in a programming context usually refers to data (or behavior, as in virtual methods) that isn't resolved until the data is actually needed. So when the game engine sends a command like "render this texture on this tree in this location", it doesn't actually know what texture is going to be drawn until after it happens. This is basically how all open-world games are designed: They have default super low-res versions of the textures that render when the player is far away, as well as sexy HD textures that render when the player is close up.

Sure, but the Doom alpha having the very same folder and file structure as id Tech 5 games strongly suggests that id Tech 5's flavour of virtual textures has not changed under id Tech 6. Improved, no doubt, but from the look of things, the underlying "one large texture per map that is procedurally streamed in/out as required" concept still applies.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

I don't think so. The structure is exactly the same: one large texture page file for one level. Additionally, virtual texturing as seen in id Tech 5 doesn't entirely preclude dynamic lighting as The Old Blood has it to some degree. I'd say Hines was either out of his depth or simply misspoke.

Well, it wouldn't be be the first time Hines said incorrect things...

RowdyReverb

Still? They haven't been for a while.

This is them clawing their way back.
I thought idtech 5 was very impressive on release. People were blown away by Rage's visuals as I recall. When did they fall from the forefront of graphics tech innovators?

jackdoe

Wolfenstein TNO came pretty close to that target and I'm sure that Doom's performance is going to fall in the same ballpark, with the XB1 version dropping resolution much more frequently than the PS4 version. I can only pray that the PC version's VRam requirements aren't nightmarish.

Dang, this seems like a first for a new AAA game on consoles... or is it? I'm not sure.

Wonder how the frame rate will dip when there are dozens of demons running around the map, hopefully not too much

I was under the impressions that in one of the pre-release Rage footage there was indeed dynamic lighting, but id took it out for the final release?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I'm hoping this is a joke post but I fear not.

I'm not being that serious.

I'm glad that the Xbox one is getting 1080p @ 60fps. I'll be interested to see how they achieved that.

JaseC

Well, it wouldn't be be the first time Hines said incorrect things...

Curse those "technical issues" that are "technical enough to be a problem" preventing Bethesda from re-releasing Wolf09 and Quake Wars on Steam. :(

JaseC

Pushing as good graphics as possible also demands sacrifices.

Sure. Like, if a developer were targeting Uncharted 4 visuals in its PS4 exclusive, then obviously it's not going to be a game with the scale of Grand Theft Auto or Elder Scrolls. But that's a moot point as a game running at 1080p30 most definitely offers a greater rendering budget than 1080p60.

Elsolar

Sure, but the Doom alpha having the very same folder and file structure as id Tech 5 games strongly suggests that id Tech 5's flavour of virtual textures has not changed under id Tech 6.

With respect, I think you're jumping to conclusions. "virtual textures" is a catch-all phrase describing any system in which texture resolution is resolved at run-time. Even if the implementation behind the scenes was changed completely, the interface through which the rest of the engine accesses these textures most likely stayed the same.

Tovarisc

If someone forgot there is some Doom 4 alpha tests

d_1920.jpg

Can we stop posting this crap or at least mention that build is quite old, and tests were ran on game after it was cracked and modified by DOOM community? People who ran those numbers had zero control over graphic settings outside of resolution and AA.

cyberheater

Because games only have resolution and framerate.

I'm looking forward to seeing face off to see the technical differences.

I'm sure dynamic horizontal resolution differences between platforms will be quite interesting.

No, that's not it at all, in any way whatsoever. Mipmapping is not PRT or Virtual Texturing, which is a specific implementation of a datastructure, now backed by hardware. Virtual Texturing is using pages and a data structure such as B-Tree to traverse and index of pages and pull in the data required for the texels showing on the screen. Let's oversimplify. When you see a screenshot with lots of high detail textures, you generally need to load all of these, or mipped versions of these into memory before you render. The actual framebuffer is 1920x1080 though right, so why can't I pull in one pixel or so for the textures I need that only show 1 pixel to the user?

The pages will contain a lookup of portions of a texture so you just need what you have to render, and not have enormous amounts of unused data in memory, they usually also align these pages in groups in order to minimize fetch times (and even have duplicates in some cases where textures might be reused on another level with different textures). Mipmapping can be used in conjunction with this, but it is NOT what virtual texturing is.

It allows you to refer to the datastructure which might be partially located in memory, and partially stored on disk as if it's one giant texture (hence virtual), with swaps made anytime a texture portion is not available in memory. Swaps should be short though, as we are only fetching small amounts of data from the pages, not entire textures.

wwm0nkey

If someone forgot there is some Doom 4 alpha tests

d_1920.jpg
The original thread already had several people go over why the alpha benchmarks should not be looked at. They are not how the final game will preform and I can personally attest that the real alpha performance was much much better than the leaked one

Top Bottom