• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

alternade

So you could potentially and consistently cast this for 6-8 in Modern/Legacy? Proc Instants is kind of ace. Wonder if there will be a premium sorcery removal spell?

I REALLY want to see what that new Bruna/Gisela angel thing is! While utterly dumb in concept, i'm a sucker for that kind of art.

Seems like wotc is comfortable with big daddy format defining cards like orig emrakul and jtms staying atop their thrones into eternity, which is fine

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
SN5j3C9.png

As underwhelming as she is, I will give them credit for the fact that new Emrakul's cast effect is bizzaro Time Walk to contrast with the original's actual Time Walk.

I'm okay with new'mrakul. There was no way the card was going to be stronger than old'mrakul, and the Mindslaver effect is flavorful.

I was initially disappointed with what happened to Bruna, but then I thought about my Bruna EDH deck and how I routinely put auras like Corrupted Conscience and Eldrazi Conscription on her anyway, so maybe there was more foreshadowing then I realize.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Just because people are underwhelmed by the new card doesnt mean their disappointment is tied to it not being better than the original.

Just because people are underwhelmed by the new card doesnt mean their disappointment is tied to it not being better than the original.

I guess, but in that case I really don't know what people where expecting, aside from some ridiculously vexing soup of rules interactions.

EDIT: That probably came across more smarmy than intended. I can see where it's lacking a lot of the oomph of the original. I just believe that's more to do with the original being such a tough act to follow.

hermit7

Man I was hoping that it was going to be just Jace, Liliana, and Tamiyo but now with the rest of the Jacetice League showing up it kind of ruins the setup.

They have characters already that they could use, sigarda, Thalia etc on Innistrad there seems to be little point in dragging along Chandra et al.

Unless they are setting Chandra up to have motivation to go to Kaladesh

OnPoint

I love that Stasis Snare, Ruinous Path and other Sorcery-speed spells kill Emrakul 2.0. Makes it slightly easier to deal with in Standard, while potentially keeping the card protected in Modern/Legacy (who uses non-instant speed removal there? Almost no one). Also interesting that it can be Mind Control-ed.

OnPoint

Unless they are setting Chandra up to have motivation to go to Kaladesh

Well, in regards to Nahiri's part of today's story:

She had strained, reaching out into the Blind Eternities​
with fingertips that burned from the swelling aether, toiling in stone,
in magics more powerful than she had ever dared to wield before,
and all of it had been ten times more difficult than she remembered.

So maybe. They do seem to kind of allude to it.

Did they confirm that Devoid would come back? I mean, it makes sense, just asking.

We'll see, but I very very much doubt it. Unlike BFZ block, there's absolutely nothing in SOI that cares about colorless or would interact well with it.

Besides, they have two other techniques to make colorless creatures in this set: they can just print straight-up colorless cards (Emrakul's number makes it pretty clear there's probably like 10 of these) or they can print colored cards that flip to colorless, which is honestly a more elegant solution than devoid ever was.

So the Gisela-Bruna monstrosity will probably be a devoid UR Eldrazi Angel legendary creature right?

Less crazy option: izzet or jeskai legend that flips into a colorless Angel Horror.

More crazy option: standalone legends for Gisela and Bruna that collectively flip into a single colorless Angel Horror. The proportions of the art would fit!

I can't imagine jumping through the fuckload of hoops required is ever gonna be worth it. It's 2 different hoops to jump through simultaneously - getting 7 mana and getting 6 types in your yard.

I mean I don't think they were necessarily hoping to make Nahiri -> Emra2l a defining Standard deck or anything, they just want it to work so that if you do assemble the combo it fits with the story. Nahiri summoning Em 1.0 in Modern, while the newer one doesn't become oppressive in Standard, is honestly probably the best result they could hope for.

On another note, today's Making Magic article is interesting, providing 25 random facts about Magic history. I wasn't aware that Sixth Edition was advertised as "Classic", forcing them to change the name of Type 1 from Classic to Vintage; or that Coldsnap was designed in only six weeks

I'm so freaking old, I already knew almost everything in this list. (I'm not sure anyone has told the Urza's Odyssey story before.) So old. :(

The Coldsnap story is especially hilarious to me now that we're finally going to close the loop and just get our first regular, non-special-at-all summer expert expansion. Looking back on it all their attempts to solve this problem it's just kind of hilarious how hard they worked to avoid the obvious solution, generally to their detriment: Unhinged kind of bombed, Coldsnap was shat out in five minutes and screwed stuff up for the Time Spiral team, Eventide was ill-conceived at every level, and the core set was just never something exciting for people.

bigkrev

I'm so freaking old, I already knew almost everything in this list. (I'm not sure anyone has told the Urza's Odyssey story before.) So old. :(

I'm also old. The only one I didn't know on that list is probably the least exciting one, which is that they used to give you a Starter and 2 boosters if you walked into the office for any reason.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I'm also old. The only one I didn't know on that list is probably the least exciting one, which is that they used to give you a Starter and 2 boosters if you walked into the office for any reason.

Same. I didn't know that or the Urza's thing, all the others I was aware of

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I love that Stasis Snare, Ruinous Path and other Sorcery-speed spells kill Emrakul 2.0. Makes it slightly easier to deal with in Standard, while potentially keeping the card protected in Modern/Legacy (who uses non-instant speed removal there? Almost no one). Also interesting that it can be Mind Control-ed.

I run a single copy of Dreadbore.

Because of Nahiri mostly haha.

El Topo

We'll see, but I very very much doubt it. Unlike BFZ block, there's absolutely nothing in SOI that cares about colorless or would interact well with it.

Besides, they have two other techniques to make colorless creatures in this set: they can just print straight-up colorless cards (Emrakul's number makes it pretty clear there's probably like 10 of these) or they can print colored cards that flip to colorless, which is honestly a more elegant solution than devoid ever was.

I thought so, but I don't actually read every article they put out, so I wasn't sure.

That probably came across more smarmy than intended. I can see where it's lacking a lot of the oomph of the original. I just believe that's more to do with the original being such a tough act to follow.

It's pretty hard to make these feel as terrifying or intimidating if they don't blow up six permanents when they show up.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I guess I just think that after Ulamog, both Kozilek and Emrakul are boring as fuck designs that fail to justify their own existence. In an abstract sense, all of them do the same thing.

So, Nahiri's ult doesn't really work with Emrakul 2.0 right? Because the mind control clause requires Emrakul 2.0 to be cast, whereas Nahiri's ult just plops the chosen card on the battlefield, so the mind control part doesn't fire.

I guess one gets to tutor out a 13/13 flying haste trample fattie that doesn't die to easy/conventional removal. That is potentially exciting. But it just seems really boring to use Emrakul 2.0 as a beat stick.

Unrelated to the whole EMN thing, but they brought Melissa DeTora back:

7668aedf2e45ea008ccfa150be75d5ad.png

I guess she was off just long enough for Frank to top 8 a Pro Tour, lol.

So, Nahiri's ult doesn't really work with Emrakul 2.0 right? Because the mind control clause requires Emrakul 2.0 to be cast, whereas Nahiri's ult just plops the chosen card on the battlefield, so the mind control part doesn't fire.

You still get a hasty 13/13 flying trampler, and the fact that it has a cost-reduction ability means you're much more likely to be able to play it from your hand the next turn and get the ability than when you summon up original Emrakul.

jph139

I think my issue is that Emrakul 2.0 just doesn't do anything new. The original trinity were more powerful, but their novelty is way more important - huge, colorless, Annihilator, 10+ mana. Emrakul still feels like an absolute WTF Magic card.

Kozilek 2.0 has the Colorless symbols as a cost, plus the whole "discard = counterspell" weirdness. He feels new. Emrakul 2.0 pretty much just does the same things as the original, just worse, with a smaller body.

I would have liked to see, like, a flip card. Something new and funky and crazy, befitting a creature that's fundamentally alien to Innistrad.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";207813104]If contraptions are a new type and not just an artifact subtype then Emrakul is off to the races for Kaladesh :p[/QUOTE]

Rules already define "contraption" as a subtype of artifact.

Anyway, not necessarily here, but I notice that a lot of people are interpreting Emrakul's Mindslaver ability as a downside, since the opponent gets an extra turn. Note that they aren't really getting an extra turn, it's more like you get a weird extra turn and then they get their normal turn.

Angry Grimace

Say what you want about Frank's videos, but he's obviously smarter than some of these people: he skipped the PT after Top 8'ing and immediately tried to use it to get a real job that pays actual money.

Anyway, not necessarily here, but I notice that a lot of people are interpreting Emrakul's Mindslaver ability as a downside, since the opponent gets an extra turn. Note that they aren't really getting an extra turn, it's more like you get a weird extra turn and then they get their normal turn.

Well, yeah, if it just straight up gave you a Mindslaver + a 13/13 trampler with instant speed protection, it would win the game almost 100% of the time you cast it.

If anything, Nahiri's +2 works better with new Emrakul to potentially add stuff that can reduce the cost. Also, I could see powering Emrakul out rather quickly with Cryptolith Rite.

The problem is that unless you can create an actively detrimental situation for your opponent during the turn you steal all his ability does is draw your opponent a card.

Angry Grimace

I mean, the Emrakul design is true to the original design of the Eldrazi Titans, but on the second go-round I would have expected some variety in how they play similar to how the Dragonlords were. It just doesn't seem like an interesting card to me because the Mindslaver effect isn't unique anymore; hell, we call it "Mindslaver effect" for a reason.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";207814031]The problem is that unless you can create an actively detrimental situation for your opponent during the turn you steal all his ability does is draw your opponent a card.[/QUOTE]

You mean besides:
* Attacking into your 13/13 creature.
* Casting spells when they wouldn't be useful, and maybe even to your benefit.
* Sacrificing and discarding things.

I mean, maybe if the battlefield is already empty besides Emrakul, then you'd be helping them.

I think my issue is that Emrakul 2.0 just doesn't do anything new.

I mean, I don't think they went into these with "do something new" as a motivating goal. In ROE the goal was to illustrate that the eldrazi were a brand-new, bizarre, never-before-seen threat, but now we know what they're like; I imagine the goal was to capture what they've been defined as more than to be weird in some other new way.

I would have liked to see, like, a flip card. Something new and funky and crazy, befitting a creature that's fundamentally alien to Innistrad.

Anything using DFCs would make her feel more connected to Innistrad, not less!

If anything, Nahiri's +2 works better with new Emrakul to potentially add stuff that can reduce the cost.

Yes, I love how all three of Nahiri's abilities are directly flavorful: the first one feeds madness and delirium (and makes Em easier to cast), the second one represents her vengeance killing spree, and the third one actually brings Emrakul out of your deck and into play.

Dear God that's some great body horror.

Stuff turning into alien monstrosities is way creepier than alien monstrosities just popping out from nowhere.

jph139

I mean, I don't think they went into these with "do something new" as a motivating goal. In ROE the goal was to illustrate that the eldrazi were a brand-new, bizarre, never-before-seen threat, but now we know what they're like; I imagine the goal was to capture what they've been defined as more than to be weird in some other new way.

I mean, sure, but how does that get me excited? "Here's that thing you liked, again, only a little bit worse." That doesn't feel like a selling point for me - particularly when three of the last four sets have used them as a centerpiece.

But I've never really cared for the Eldrazi, so I guess without the novelty they just have zero appeal to me as cards.

Indeed. The pristine angel wings curving out to the front are a nice framing effect.

My favorite thing about this is that it ties into the element from way back in original Zendikar where "Emeria" was depicted as an angel.

I mean, sure, but how does that get me excited? "Here's that thing you liked, again, only a little bit worse."

Well, both Kozilek and Emrakul do things related to their original cards, but distinct in how they work. The ideal would be that they're fun in their own new way despite being less powerful straight-up.

Yeef

I mean, how many circumstances are there where you can't create a big problem for your opponent when you control their turn, given that you have a 13/13 flyer for them to attack into?
In competitive play, there's also the circumstance where you get to look at their sideboard. I've seen people scoop to Mindslaver for just that reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom