• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.
When the New Phyrexians leave their plane, I still think the place they'll invade will be Vryn. We've seen enough of it to be somewhat attached, but we've already seen enough to know that place is really boring so there'd be no love lost for the Phyrexians spicing it up. The Mage Rings look like portals anyway.

Jhriad

One day after discussing how the writing has improved since BFZ...

"I—I'amrakul!"

MnEJMCa.gif

"Choose me! Me! Me'mrakul." "Choose me'mrakul. Take me'mrakul. I'amrakul."
"I'amrakul." "Come'mrakul. Be'mrakul." "Are'mrakul. We'mrakul."

dead2.gif

red13th

Best comment from reddit: "She wished for Emrakul, but not the mana to hardcast it."

Also, damn that large Emrakul art is even more impressive.

y2dvd

RUG Eldrazi ramp could be a new direction. How does cards outside the game work? Like if they are in your sideboard, you could fetch for it?

Ooooh. Flavorful AND functional.

After pondering a bit about how thoroughly Nahiri's card is designed around the storyline, I'm gonna go for a called shot here: the reason for the second half of her ultimate is that there will be a Legendary Artifact card for the moon in EDM, and Nahiri will make a face-turn and help seal Emrakul away there.

I guess they went with commander crap. Too bad, I was hoping for something that would actually address how stupidly inconsistent Werewolves are as a tribe.

"Who should we design this card that a very specific audience requested for?" "Hmm, I dunno. Maybe some totally different people."

Why do they have to give the opponent an extra turn? Why can't it just be mindslaver?

The card doesn't actually give the opponent an extra turn, it gives you an extra turn on which you control your opponent. The full Mindslaver effect is 8-10 mana on its own, getting that plus a 13/13 flying trampler for 8-10 mana isn't happening.

For some reason rising up to fight in the streets while a giant world eating monster looms in the sky just seems to miss the point of lovecraftian horror.

Eh, I think this is pretty in line with the body of work in question. I mean the Emrakul rising image from the article is a direct callback to Call of Cthulhu itself:

CallofCthulhu_RPG_3.jpg

kirblar

Yeah, I don't think she actually wants Emrakul running around. She wants Emrakul fucking up Innistrad from within a prison.

Oh man fuck mono blue edh

Wishes don't work in Commander.

Next they are gonna print something that interacts with emblems

Eldrazi could pull from out of the game since the beginning!

Plotting.

Some of the individual writers are still...well, Bad'rakul.

Specifically, you can pretty much look at the author and tell if it'll be any good. If it's Kelly Digges, Doug Beyer, or James Wyatt, the story will be good and entertaining to read; if it's Kimberly Kreines, it'll be bad.

Also, damn that large Emrakul art is even more impressive.

Jaime Jones is awesome. Look over his recent work; he's done a lot of spectacular stuff (and he's one of the best at tentacle monsters in particular.)

Yeah, I don't think she actually wants Emrakul running around. She wants Emrakul fucking up Innistrad from within a prison.

Right, forcing Innistrad to be an eldrazi prison is actually kind of the most precise poetic justice she could deal out.

INSPIRATION!

Someone should edit the full Emrakul art to have anime eyes, with the text, "Oishiiiim'rakul~" (Deliciousm'rakul), or some other cutesy anime line.

Ashodin

This set ain't doin' it for me so far.

3 cards? bruh

After pondering a bit about how thoroughly Nahiri's card is designed around the storyline, I'm gonna go for a called shot here: the reason for the second half of her ultimate is that there will be a Legendary Artifact card for the moon in EDM, and Nahiri will make a face-turn and help seal Emrakul away there.

i-see-what-you-did-there.gif

We in this bitch.

#TeamNahiri #SheCanBeBroughtBack #SpaghettiMoon

Ashodin

The best response on Twitter I saw was

"Not sure I like this block now, it seems like we're not really returning to Innistrad. Just a carbon copy of ISD and the third set from BFZ."

Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuup.

Taken from Penny Arcade forums.

jXk2fXm.jpg

EDIT: The Mythic Spoiler page for Emrakul is pretty amusing, because it's using a Facebook feed for a card reveal from 2013, so everyone's responding to posts from 3 years ago. EDIT: Actually, this seems to be happening to every new card. EDIT: Actually, every card.

For example:
Wow, I hope this is real. hello jund

Hope what's real? Emrakul? The card that was spoiled my wizards themselves?

(NAME) obviously they have reused an old page... Hence my comment being from 2013... You're welcome

(NAME) get rekt by timestamps

sgjackson

Emrakul ending up the way that it did makes total sense. Taken piece by piece, it's a pretty elegant mix of Innistrad themes that would make sense on a new Emrakul and twists on Aeons Torn. It's an instance of the whole being less than the sum of the parts, which might be hard to predict internally. I also agree with the assertion that it would read a lot more "cool" if the effect was just straight Mindslaver, to the point where I'm wondering if they tested it and it was too broken or something. I might have given up the 13 theme (which is often cute but doesn't really resonate here) in order to cost it more and have the effect read cooler or add some to the keyword salad.

The werewolf, however, is a lot more inexcusable. Maro's been pretty vocal about how they fucked up not making a werewolf legendary last go-around (the obvious implication being commander fans wanted one), and then they make one that provides zero incentive to build a werewolf/wolf-themed commander deck? Like there are multiple uncommons (Immerwolf, Duskwatch Recruiter) that have more interesting effects for a potential werewolf legendary than this dude.

The Eldrazi wish is a smart idea that's both exciting and resonant, and it's totally fucking weird I like the design of it more than the two obvious big splashy cards in this set.

I'm mixed about what's been spoiled today. Emrakul is cool(though the fact it can be killed by Declaration in Stone/Stasis Snare is maximum feels bad), Werewolf really feels like he needs Cult of the Waxing Moon's ability for werewolves, and Eldrazi Wish means it's either going to be a shit rare in Limited or we're getting even more Eldrazi in EMN that aren't flip cards(Enough that a rare can be wanted, so we're probably talking BFZ/OGW Levels).

It's probably the first one, meaning my limited games will involve that card in spades.

Ulrich's tribal impact is that it's incredibly punishing if your opponent allows your stuff to flip, especially multiple times. Both triggers are likely going to weaken your board, this thing is an absolute monster in limited.

sgjackson

Ulrich's tribal impact is that it's incredibly punishing if your opponent allows your stuff to flip, especially multiple times. Both triggers are likely going to weaken your board, this thing is an absolute monster in limited.

from a limited/constructed standpoint: yeah totally, i'd love to draft ulrich, he seems nuts in that context. i can't speak for his constructed viability because i'm not really experienced there.

but for commander, i think one of its biggest appeals is basically picking a theme/idea/mechanic which appeals to you and then deckbuilding around that idea without having to sweat viability too much. ulrich's not a very resonant build-around for a mechanic that apparently has a ton of fans clamoring for one.

OnPoint

Lol yes. all those limited players looking for a legendary werewolf lol

kirblar

I'm mixed about what's been spoiled today. Emrakul is cool(though the fact it can be killed by Declaration in Stone/Stasis Snare is maximum feels bad), Werewolf really feels like he needs Cult of the Waxing Moon's ability for werewolves, and Eldrazi Wish means it's either going to be a shit rare in Limited or we're getting even more Eldrazi in EMN that aren't flip cards(Enough that a rare can be wanted, so we're probably talking BFZ/OGW Levels).

It's probably the first one, meaning my limited games will involve that card in spades.
Nahiri's cards can take care of Eldrazi?

Weird! :p

hermit7

Considering liliana is being set up as the major hero of this set what does everyone want to see as her Oath? which I am about 100 percent certain we will see.

My idea,
2B
Legendary enchantment
When Oath of Liliana enters the battlefield return a creature card with converted mana cost 3 or less to your hand from the graveyard.

At the beginning of your upkeep each opponent loses x life and you gain x life where x is the number of planes walkers you control.

bigkrev

Considering liliana is being set up as the major hero of this set what does everyone want to see as her Oath? which I am about 100 percent certain we will see.

My idea,
2B
Legendary enchantment
When Oath of Liliana enters the battlefield return a creature card with converted mana cost 3 or less to your hand from the graveyard.

At the beginning of your upkeep each opponent loses x life and you gain x life where x is the number of planes walkers you control.

That is a ridiculously underpowered card- I don't think it's playable even at 1 mana.

My idea,
2B
Legendary enchantment

Disentomb is B to return any creature card from your graveyard to your hand, so I don't think there needs to be a restriction in your guess.

My guess, not trying to overlap with Oath of Chandra's damage effects:

3B
When Oath of Liliana enters the battlefield, target player discards two cards.
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a 2/2 black Zombie creature token onto the battlefield for each planeswalker you control.

hermit7

That is a ridiculously underpowered card- I don't think it's playable even at 1 mana.

That is fair, I was thinking of main things that are within the color pie of black and the graveyard recursion felt like Liliana. Maybe return target creature with 3 or less to the battlefield.

I wasn't sure of the upkeep ability but thought draining opponents would be flavorful. Maybe it could be boosted a bit.

That how we are defining 'face turn'? Didn't someone predict a Nahiri face turn already anyway?

Nobody's saying this is a completely unprecedented prediction! I just want to be able to point back and take credit if I'm right about all of it.

They do either through the 10 card sideboard or just because no one cares about what the EDH council ruled for them.

They got rid of the 10 card sideboard, there's no way to legally do Wishes under the standard commander rules-as-written now.

The werewolf, however, is a lot more inexcusable. Maro's been pretty vocal about how they fucked up not making a werewolf legendary last go-around (the obvious implication being commander fans wanted one), and then they make one that provides zero incentive to build a werewolf/wolf-themed commander deck?

This is such a weird idea to me. People already have the incentive to build a werewolf-themed deck, since so many people have been asking for the ability to do so. The commander doesn't need to break the mechanic or change how the tribe works completely to solve the requested problem.

Disentomb is B to return any creature card from your graveyard to your hand, so I don't think there needs to be a restriction in your guess.

My guess, not trying to overlap with Oath of Chandra's damage effects:

3B
When Oath of Liliana enters the battlefield, target player discards two cards.
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a 2/2 black Zombie creature token onto the battlefield for each planeswalker you control.

This card is absurd. Giving all your PW's a free blocker every turn is crazy powerful, I definitely think using Oath of Chandra's wording is much more appropriate.

sgjackson

This is such a weird idea to me. People already have the incentive to build a werewolf-themed deck, since so many people have been asking for the ability to do so. The commander doesn't need to break the mechanic or change how the tribe works completely to solve the requested problem.

I think I'd argue a lot of the self-expression of a commander deck comes from the commander choice itself, and nothing about Ulrich really says "pair werewolves with me" other than his creature type. Some text that works with werewolves to give you incentive to actually play werewolves for reasons other than "my commander is a werewolf and I like werewolves so let's play a bunch" would have been neat. I don't think the card needs to be break the flip mechanic to accomplish this.

cuc

I might be biased on this issue, because hearing about the OGW colorless symbol was what piqued my interest to return to Magic, but I agree with some Reddit posters that Ugin, the resolution of RoE, and possibly Kaladesh's aether-fueled artifice civilization might be building toward a storyline about colorless mana and metaphysics of the multiverse - not sure about the gameplay implications though, because Maro has repeatedly stressed that OGW's Wastes and cards that require colorless mana are one-off mechanics, not the introduction of colorless as a mainstay "sixth color".

For me the moment that made this seem a real possibility is reading Planeswalker's Guide to Khans of Tarkir:
On a metaphysical level, the Jeskai revere the elemental forces, or fires: soulfire (white), mistfire (blue), deathfire (black), bloodfire (red), and vitalfire (green). While the Jeskai recognize that deathfire and vitalfire exist, they are not considered part of the Jeskai tradition.

A person who masters the three Jeskai fires has attained enough wisdom to explore the next level of existence and harness the sixth fire: ghostfire. Only a few people have ever learned to control ghostfire, and it is believed they are able transcend natural elements and alter their fundamental nature and existence.

sgjackson

It's in flavor when in context of prior Innistrad-locale sets.

Yeah, I get that. I think my issue is a more debatable one, where I think casual-targeted cards like "Legendary werewolf for commander players!" should be a little more direct on how to use given their positioning - I don't think a newer player who wants to build their first commander deck or a casual player who likes werewolves looks at Ulrich and is excited. It's perfectly possible I'm totally wrong, and there's definitely some debate about how recent legends have been a bit obvious to use and how that's sort of stifling for creativity, which I totally get.

kirblar

I think they knew Commander players would be happy with the Legend-Werewolf part, so they worked to try and make the card playable in Standard outside of that.

sgjackson

I think they knew Commander players would be happy with the Legend-Werewolf part, so they worked to try and make the card playable in Standard outside of that.

i'm really curious to see if that bears out (or if the number of people who would be happier with another playable standard werewolf is higher than the number of people who want a really sweet commander werewolf)

Ashodin

Cards torn two ways make it difficult to rationalize either half. Which is what we're trying to do now, eh

Naya Stompy could be a thing if EMN gives it a few more toys. I'd like to see Temur succeed, just so I can justify my playset of Kiora's.

Kiora Playset Bros ;(

Other Things about Emmy that make me tickled Pink

Nahiri's Machinations would give it Indestructible when you summon it before combat with the Ult. Nice. Secondly, you can kill blockers with the enchantment to get the full trample.

They got rid of the 10 card sideboard, there's no way to legally do Wishes under the standard commander rules-as-written now.

official commander rules - house rules said:
Sideboards

Some more competitive groups add a sideboard to bring flexibility to their decks and combat some of the degeneracy. The most common structure of sideboards is:

Players may bring a 10 card sideboard in addition to their 99 cards and 1 Commander.
After Commanders are announced, players have 3 minutes to make 1-for-1 substitutions to their deck.
In groups whose members all use sideboards, they can also be used to wish for cards that are outside the game

official commander rules - play said:
13. Abilities which refer to other cards owned outside the game (Wishes, Spawnsire, Research, Ring of Ma'ruf) do not function in Commander without prior agreement on their scope from the playgroup.

There was no such problem in that case. The problem was a werewolf themed commander. This isn't a werewolf themed commander it's just a werewolf and not even a particularly good one.

Yeef

I don't think we'll see the BW angel in this block (since she's dead), but I imagine we could see her in a Commander deck or another supplemental set eventually.

I think, given Emrakul's design, Delirium is almost guaranteed as a returning mechanic in Eldritch Moon. Curious to see what they do, mechanically, to differentiate the horror werewolves from the regular werewolves (if anything).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom