• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought commander qualified as a casual format,which allows you to pick from literally all of your cards?

Rules explicitly disallow it for whatever dumb reason.

Some text that works with werewolves to give you incentive to actually play werewolves for reasons other than "my commander is a werewolf and I like werewolves so let's play a bunch" would have been neat. I don't think the card needs to be break the flip mechanic to accomplish this.

I mean, I'm not saying it's the best conceivable execution ever of a werewolf legend, I just think it'd be punting to make one that doesn't actually behave the way other werewolves do and I feel like just making it a standard lord-type card would also be pretty boring.

house rules

Exactly. It used to be part of the commander rules, now it's not, and they moved it to a section with a bunch of other junk that is also not a part of the commander rules.

There was no such problem in that case. The problem was a werewolf themed commander.

Which we got? I mean.

Rules explicitly disallow it for whatever dumb reason.

Probably keeps a few of the Wish cards in check, price-wise, which is nice. Was looking at a couple today, actually, before seeing the Eldrazi one.

Also, I am really hoping for some solid reprints in the next Conspiracy. MMA / EMA / Anthologies supply is BS and it really annoys me. I agree that maybe Chronicles was "too much", but the notion that copious reprints drive players away from the game seems loose. I have heard good arguments about being smart with it, but I am legit tired of $40 Ensnaring Bridge or $200 Portal Card or even $10 Patriarch's Bidding / Casual Card.

EDIT: Happy with the spoilers today in the sense that it's good to have spoilers :) Cards are whatever. Werewolf seems like a bit of a miss, tribally-speaking.

sgjackson

I mean, I'm not saying it's the best conceivable execution ever of a werewolf legend, I just think it'd be punting to make one that doesn't actually behave the way other werewolves do and I feel like just making it a standard lord-type card would also be pretty boring.

Design spitballing can be kind of pointless but my first thought was a card that has comes into play/flip effects like Huntmaster/Ulrich, but also has them happen whenever you play a werewolf. It incentivizes you to play wolves by generating value in a more interesting way than classic lords and having the two sides do different things can be sufficiently werewolfy. Probably wouldn't be pushed for standard but I think that's an okay sword to fall on.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
When the New Phyrexians leave their plane, I still think the place they'll invade will be Vryn. We've seen enough of it to be somewhat attached, but we've already seen enough to know that place is really boring so there'd be no love lost for the Phyrexians spicing it up. The Mage Rings look like portals anyway.

Being boring hasnt hurt Jace so far. Not sure why it would hurt his plane. We'll make you like his plane. Next 4 blocks, half Vryn cards.

Firemind

Oh wow I got totally wasted last night, but why the hell does Emrakul time walk your opponent? Oh well at least it has trample this time right?

edit: also lol at the people being mad about the werewolf in edh. i'm still waiting for a mono red dragon general that isn't vanilla rorix or useless tarox.

Oh wow I got totally wasted last night, but why the hell does Emrakul time walk your opponent? Oh well at least it has trample this time right?

edit: also lol at the people being mad about the werewolf in edh. i'm still waiting for a mono red dragon general that isn't vanilla rorix or useless tarox.

Emrakul doesn't timewalk and did Wizards ever directly voice a regret of having missed their chance to make a legendary red dragon because of commander? I don't think so but they did for Werewolves and now it's a card that does nothing as a commander.

Firemind

Uh yes it does something it's a beatstick for five mana that has built in monstrous growth and prey upon.

And the original emrakul literally time walks you.

Ah sorry I misunderstood your comment in regards to Emrakul

Ulrich does nothing as a commander for werewolves, you're still better equipped if you have Ruric Thar as a werewolf commander. Maybe it's better to say it doesn't do enough as a commander but he's just more a in the 99 card than commander.

Firemind

i think you're looking at it from the wrong perspective. edh is a casual format. i mean, you could choose ruric thar as your general, but you could also choose stonebrow who has cool points because he's a centaur instead of a big fat ogre. ulasht has cool points as a hydra with freaking teeth-filled mouths as heads.

the new werewolf has his own cool points, namely the first flip general that does cool stuff and looks badass while bashing your head in. maybe i'm just not that picky when it comes to generals. :lol

i think you're looking at it from the wrong perspective. edh is a casual format. i mean, you could choose ruric thar as your general, but you could also choose stonebrow who has cool points because he's a centaur instead of a big fat ogre. ulasht has cool points as a hydra with freaking teeth-filled mouths as heads.

the new werewolf has his own cool points, namely the first flip general that does cool stuff and looks badass while bashing your head in. maybe i'm just not that picky when it comes to generals. :lol

That's Avacyn for you.

Yes there's flavour reasons but having just that makes him unexciting, since it could have been literally anything. Also Ulasht + Purphoros is insane.

Firemind

EDH generals really aren't very interesting cards.
right? people over emphasize the general aspect of edh. people want to pick a general that does cool stuff, but the generals that do cool stuff generally don't survive for too long. and the generals that do broken stuff like maelstrom wanderer and mimeoplasm are goddamn stupid. i really dislike the direction of commander products over the past years who are more concerned to design the most spectacularly stupid generals than it is to design actual cool decks.

Have to disagree on that, might as well play just highlander at that point.
It's usually the more competitive decks where the commander does nothing but provide the colors.

Also the first commander products still gave us the stupidest commanders. With Derevi 2013 and Animar 2011

Firemind

what? the most broken decks are those that are all about the general (mimeoplasm, animar, maelstrom, zur, narset, azami, arcum, prossh)

there are decks that play a random five colour general to play all colours but those are not as streamlined as the broken ones.

There's so many commander decks were the commander acts like a fail safe in case their combo doesn't work out.

Karador boonweaver combo for instance or any commander for Mono U, jank aristocrats,...

Daedardus

There's so many commander decks were the commander acts like a fail safe in case their combo doesn't work out.

Karador boonweaver combo for instance or any commander for Mono U, jank aristocrats,...

To be honest, many of those combo EDH decks are just the worst. OK, we get it, you immediately cast your combo, you win, where was the interaction and strategy in that?

I'm interested to see what lessons they learned from BfZ block with the Eldrazi and if they'll be improved in this set. I'm also interested in not seeing another fucking Eldrazi block for at least five years.

El Topo

I'm interested to see what lessons they learned from BfZ block with the Eldrazi and if they'll be improved in this set. I'm also interested in not seeing another fucking Eldrazi block for at least five years.

Wouldn't mind if we got something other than Eldrazi and Phyrexians. Although in all fairness, it's been a while since we had Phyrexians.

To be honest, many of those combo EDH decks are just the worst. OK, we get it, you immediately cast your combo, you win, where was the interaction and strategy in that?

Agreed but they are still some of the most competitive.

I play Zur but I usually end up having to police someone, or more, trying to combo constantly.

Emrakul doesn't really give your opponent another turn, it's more like it gives you a weird extra turn. Look at it this way:

Without Mindslaver effect:
Your turn, Opponent's turn

With Mindslaver effect:
Your turn, Turn where you control opponent, Opponent's turn

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
All the cards spoiled kind of suck. 2 of them are "all-star mythics" too.

Emrakul dying to a 2-drop sorcery still boggles the mind. At least give the dude hexproof.

Emrakul doesn't really give your opponent another turn, it's more like it gives you a weird extra turn. Look at it this way:

Without Mindslaver effect:
Your turn, Opponent's turn

With Mindslaver effect:
Your turn, Turn where you control opponent, Opponent's turn

that's his point, Emrakul doesn't time walk you but your opponent. I also misūnderstood at first.

Yeef

Emrakul dying to a 2-drop sorcery still boggles the mind. At least give the dude hexproof.
The idea seems to be that you use all your opponent's sorcery-speed answers when you're controlling them. If they happen to top deck it after the fact, that's bad luck, but the idea of a card just being unbeatable doesn't make for an interesting game. Emrakul having Hexproof would be incredibly dull.

The caveat is that only works if there are targets for the removal though.

Apparently Liliana, is gonna be called Liliana the Last Hope. Someday they're gonna run out of cringey names and we'll get a Jace going to Jaradbucks, Gideon P90X,...

All I know about regular commander is that I really hate it. Always some dude casting Narset on turn three and flipping three planeswalkers and a new attack phase. Guaranteed.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
All the cards spoiled kind of suck. 2 of them are "all-star mythics" too.

Emrakul 1 technically died to Journey to Nowhere, assuming your opponent had enough mana to cast anything and reached another turn. But Emrakul 1 was the epitome of "I win the game right now" cards.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";207907541]All I know about regular commander is that I really hate it. Always some dude casting Narset on turn three and flipping three planeswalkers and a new attack phase. Guaranteed.[/QUOTE]

I wanna build narset superfriends but with stax and tokens, no extra turn or extra combat steps shenanigans.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Emrakul 1 technically died to Journey to Nowhere, assuming your opponent had enough mana to cast anything and reached another turn. But Emrakul 1 was the epitome of "I win the game right now" cards.

That's basically what I was looking for. I feel like Ulamog is better value this generation of Eldrazi. He at least survives a ruinous path.

Bandini

I ordered a playset of Nahiri on Amazon, 1 from one vendor with a slightly cheaper price (they only had 1 in stock) and 3 from another vendor. I received the 3 yesterday and checked the status of the other one and it still hadn't shipped. Guess I didn't notice the first vendor has about 20% bad feedback over the last month, tons of people complaining about packages coming late or not at all. The status finally updated today to shipped, but no tracking number, even though I ordered close to 40$ in cards total. Check your vendor feedback guys.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";207910151]Why nerf yourself?[/QUOTE]

I usually only bust out Narset if I see something like Nekusar or Mizzix get pulled out. It's in the interest of a healthy playgroup to have some less than optimal decks and keep it competitive, imo.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
That's basically what I was looking for. I feel like Ulamog is better value this generation of Eldrazi. He at least survives a ruinous path.

The most commonly played removal all exile though.

jph139

The best part of EDH is trying to make awful strategies work. Like monoblue fatties with Jalira, Master Polymorphist, where you have an excuse to play with Homarid Spawning Bed.

Speaking of exile, I could see Eldrazi Wish being a sideboard card for a blue eldrazi deck against decks that play Stasis Snare or Declaration in Stone. Getting back a Reality Smasher is nice.

Angry Grimace

Yeah, that's why I suggested hexproof, so this giant world-ending monster is actually somewhat frightening.

That would be broken.

The idea is that your opponent doesn't just scoop. Because that is horrible design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom