• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi guys, I'm a pirate with a hacked 360, and I bought an unauthorized 360 dev kit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alec

Go my dev kit in the mail today, right before I had to go to work. Fooled around with it for about 10 minutes, looked around PartnerNet a bit and then shut it off. I get into work today and the guy who I bought the kit from shoots me this IM:

[16:15] : don't go on pnet
[16:15] : Theres something going on
[16:15] : MS is remotely bricking kits

[16:16] : How many people has this happened to?

[16:16] : a ton

[16:16] : What does the Xbox act like when this happens?

[16:16] : It RRoD
[16:16] : they are fucking up kits

This seems incredibly strange to me, if true. I was curious as to whether or not anyone else had this happen to them, or had heard about it happening to anyone else.

A guy on another forum confirmed that his kit was hit as well, I asked him exactly what happened:

i was downloading, then i did a reboot and got rrod

doing a nand restore now, will let you know...

Another person says:

From what I hear, a nand restore can't revive you ;x.

I can't confirm anything right now, but I thought this deserved it's own thread for other dev kit owners in the forums. Be careful!

Update: Another reply.

An console with erased or corrupted CB will start up with 3 RED LIGHTS and an error code of either E08 (0020) or E10 (0022).

Whomever have a license/NDA can request service for the kits.

Who doesn't, patience ...

Jet Set Radio XBLA confirmed!

Yeah, this sound shitty. Hope no gaffers got caught. Unless, you know, you aren't supposed to have it :lol

Alec

I just got my dev kit in the mail literally an hour ago, booted it up and played on PartnerNet for 10 minutes, then signed off and went to work. Didn't turn it back on to test, but I hope I got out okay. I would be really angry if I suddenly had a $750 paperweight.

soco

what're you working on that you'd need a dev kit at home? and why would you be buying it from someone that isn't MS?

LQX said:
Why would MS remotely brick dev kits? If true maybe something important got loose.

If it is being done purposly, they're probably trying to catch the people who have been leaking SEGA's games (Especially after the disastrous Sonic 4 scenario where the entire game got leaked!)

sk3tch

soco said:
what're you working on that you'd need a dev kit at home? and why would you be buying it from someone that isn't MS?

untitled-2.png

MechDX

soco said:

My thoughts exactly. If some people are getting kits who are not actually devs then fuck em. they get what they deserve.

Microsoft must feel that too many dev kits have got into the hands of people who aren't supposed to have them. So it's time to reset. I'd hope they'd notified actual development partners ahead of time.

There were too many partner net leaks for the situation to continue unresolved.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
MechDX said:
My thoughts exactly. If some people are getting kits who are not actually devs then fuck em. they get what they deserve.

Yeah man those assholes!

bigeyeroll

Kifimbo

soco said:

Some people are journalists who have access to a dev kit and ParterNet

Not saying it's the case with Alec.

Alec

I don't have the means to apply to be an official developer and XNA Creators Club doesn't cut it.

I'm amazed at some of the responses. You think Xbox1 homebrew would've be anything like what it was if none of those people had official dev kits? Seems a little judgemental, especially because the vast majority of people with access to PartnerNet aren't doing anything wrong.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Kifimbo said:
Some people are journalists who have access to a dev kit and ParterNet

Not saying it's the case with Alec.

Do journalists have to pay $750 for a dev kit?

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Alec said:
I don't have the means to apply to be an official developer and XNA Creators Club doesn't cut it.

I'm amazed at some of the responses. You think Xbox1 homebrew would've be anything like what it was if none of those people had official dev kits? Seems a little judgemental, especially because the vast majority of people with access to PartnerNet aren't doing anything wrong.

Who sold you a devkit for $750 ?

GameGamer

Alec said:
Go my dev kit in the mail today, right before I had to go to work. Fooled around with it for about 10 minutes, looked around PartnerNet a bit and then shut it off. I get into work today and the guy who I bought the kit from shoots me this IM:

Did you sign an agreement with MS for your dev kit or not?

lupinko

How are you guys getting devkit 360s in the first place? Did they fall off the back of a truck or something? :lol D:

Am I the only one who had to look up what Parternet was? And if people who aren't official dev's are getting their 360's bricked, that's no skin off my back. More power to Microsoft.

TommyT

You mean you weren't put on the mailing list from M$ when you bought the dev kit? They sent out an e-mail saying not to go on PartnerNet without pressing a button code (included in the e-mail) so they could brick those that aren't legit.

;D ... or am I!?!?!?

Crisis

Banned
VGChampion said:
Am I the only one who had to look up what Parternet was? And if people who aren't official dev's are getting their 360's bricked, that's no skin off my back. More power to Microsoft.

Historically that has been a bad thing.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
can't say I'm going to cry any tears over those gaming the system and fucking up for PN everyone else suddenly losing access to their illegally obtained goods.

DrForester said:
awesome.

VGChampion said:

Wrong, it is skin off your back. You'll be getting no more nice little leaks about upcoming games...

Vorador

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:
Wrong, it is skin off your back. You'll be getting no more nice little leaks about upcoming games...

Plus all the homebrew applications that a jtagged console can run come from dev kits on hands of homebrew developers.

SmokyDave

Dexvex said:
Excuse me if I sound ignorant bu wtf is goin on in this thread? How are people getting dev kits for $750?
Keep it quiet but I'm selling them out of the back of a white van behind the Off Topic Discussion forum. Meet me there in ten minutes and have a copy of World Cup Italia '90 on MegaDrive in your top pocket ;) ;)

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Where did op go anyway? He's still online but not posting in this thread.

It would be great if this "backfire" turned out like the Imagine: Babyz thread

Ricker

Not grasping this at all...so is this why some games get delayed? MS is bricking the guys who are making the games...makes sense now ****roll eyes***...

Seriously though,why would Joe Bloe need a dev kit???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom