• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi guys, I'm a pirate with a hacked 360, and I bought an unauthorized 360 dev kit!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Diablohead said:
So you can just go out and buy a dev kit, op? wow!

Or by dev did you accidently mis-type jTAG? :lol
well, jtag consoles are a lot less than $750, and they'd be better for someone who just wanted to pirate.

Triple U

Banned
SmokyDave said:
Keep it quiet but I'm selling them out of the back of a white van behind the Off Topic Discussion forum. Meet me there in ten minutes and have a copy of World Cup Italia '90 on MegaDrive in your top pocket ;) ;)
ms_worldcup90.jpg

Got the stuff?

panda21

is it even legal to sell a 360 dev kit if you aren't MS? :lol

presumably part of the agreement with MS is that you aren't allowed to sell it for $750 to someone who hasn't signed all the legal stuff that no doubt comes with it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Diablohead said:
Or by dev did you accidently mis-type jTAG? :lol

JTAG'ed 360's can go on Parternet now?

*eyebrow raise.jpg*

Ricker said:
Seriously though,why would Joe Bloe need a dev kit???

Because XNA is somewhat limiting (for reasons: It's mostly for hobbyists that don't care about pushing the 360 hardware like AAA titles). Otherwise, I have no clue.

I kinda miss the days of NetYaroze/Black Developer Playstation for Hobbyists that turned out Devil Dice (that I wasn't really fond of, but a nice little story of hobby going retail).

TheSeks said:
JTAG'ed 360's can go on Parternet now?

*eyebrow raise.jpg*
I was under the impression that they can and it's why in the last 6 months we had plenty of partnernet shit leak out, microsoft need really limit that to set gamertag list only.

TommyT

Diablohead said:
I was under the impression that they can and it's why in the last 6 months we had plenty of partnernet shit leak out, microsoft need really limit that to set gamertag list only.

Well there you go.

MC Safety

My apartment was robbed some time ago. Among other things, the bastards stole a debug Xbox 360.

First and foremost, I hope the bastards get caught. Next, I hope anyone who bought my debug unit has the pleasure of dealing with Microsoft and a bricked system.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Nuclear Muffin said:
If it is being done purposly, they're probably trying to catch the people who have been leaking SEGA's games (Especially after the disastrous Sonic 4 scenario where the entire game got leaked!)
Wait what? Sonic 4 got leaked? So there's videos of the whole thing on YT now?

theultimo

Teetris said:
Wait what? Sonic 4 got leaked? So there's videos of the whole thing on YT now?
Yup, the whole game got leaked from the Sonic Retro Forums off a Partnernet build of Sonic 4. I am not sure if the video's are still there, however.

TommyT

Diablohead said:
Well pardon me for not owning a jtag or having £500 in my pocket to blow, hope you sleep well tonight.

I don't have either of those as well. Doesn't mean I'm going to make uninformed assumptions in an attempt to make someone look dumb though.

Cep

Banned
Surgeon Rocket said:
Where did op go anyway? He's still online but not posting in this thread.

It would be great if this "backfire" turned out like the Imagine: Babyz thread

What happened in that thread?

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Cep said:
What happened in that thread?
He posted pictures of his Imagine: Babyz game and disproved everyone that called him a pirate. Not quite the same as this thread, but some game called Dudebro was born in that one.
MThanded said:
/lock_thread
:lol
op edit your post with this.

Also, it only works if you put in your password too, or uh so i heard

shuri

Banned
I just realised something.The op was actually sold a modified retail 360, converted into a devkit.

So yeah he paid 750$ for a modjob :lol

shuri said:
I just realised something.The op was actually sold a modified retail 360, converted into a devkit.

So yeah he paid 750$ for a modjob :lol

Arnt dev kits black only? with the huge hdd's

soco

Gaz Pwnage said:
Is it really that big'a deal?

i honestly don't give a shit, but i'm kinda surprised people think they could just buy a dev unit and keep access to things like partnernet.

theultimo

I think MS is finally bringing security back to PN, or so I hope. When joe-blow down the street can get a dev kit modded, and still have access to PN, we are going to see more and more people coping XBLA games and posting them, leaking info, etc. Can MS track by console and find out where these people are? Maybe offer a dev license to maintain their status, otherwise, destroy it.

TheSeks

Diablohead said:

JTAG'ed 360 are just modified RETAIL/consumer 360's. They can't access Parternet as their OS is set to run X-box Live/consumer X-box Live.

Dev kits are used for Parternet/Developer (Closed) X-box Live to stress test online netcode for develoeprs software/games.

I'd be really surprised if JTAG'ed 360's suddenly gained the ability to join a closed/by-invitation only X-box Live.

Tomasooie

Alec said:
I don't have the means to apply to be an official developer and XNA Creators Club doesn't cut it.

I'm amazed at some of the responses. You think Xbox1 homebrew would've be anything like what it was if none of those people had official dev kits? Seems a little judgemental, especially because the vast majority of people with access to PartnerNet aren't doing anything wrong.
Don't even try to justify it, homebrew developers shouldn't have Xbox development kits and what they are doing with them is definitely illegal. They have no reason to even be on PartnerNet.

TheSeks

Tomasooie said:
Don't even try to justify it, homebrew developers shouldn't have Xbox development kits and what they are doing with them is definitely illegal. They have no reason to even be on PartnerNet.

Modded 360s for homebrew aren't exactly illegal.

Using the developer kit to do homebrew, meanwhile is a legal quagmire and it's why the original X-box had a grassroots "Developers Kit" for homebrew on it. (OpenXDK, IIRC)

element

I could see MS bricking test kits to press, but no kits belonging to developers.

Also when it comes to posting to partnernet, that is at the developer/publisher discretion (whoever controls the XLAST file). So if a developer or a publisher doesn't want their stuff seen on partnernet, then click the box that doesn't publish it for anyone with partnernet access can download it.

that's not a dev kit, devkits are black/grey.
test kits are white.
And both come with a large section on top in place of the hard drive for emulating games.
I'm pretty sure there is no way to attach a retail hard drive as in the pictures there...but then i have never tried.
They can't play retail games either so not sure why you'd want one...

duckroll

I'm pretty sure no one using a legit dev kit has any reason to stay off Partner Net, so I've changed the thread title to reflect that. :lol

Tomasooie

TheSeks said:
Modded 360s for homebrew aren't exactly illegal.

Using the developer kit to do homebrew, meanwhile is a legal quagmire and it's why the original X-box had a grassroots "Developers Kit" for homebrew on it. (OpenXDK, IIRC)
I didn't say modded 360, I meant the official development kit.

And :lol at the title change.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
duckroll said:
I'm pretty sure no one using a legit dev kit has any reason to stay off Partner Net, so I've changed the thread title to reflect that. :lol
artwestgi.jpg

darkwings

Banned
I remember when gaffers got hold of dolphin dev kits, i dont remember people here being assholes about it then. What happened?

TheSeks

theultimo said:
How can someone who just played around with it for 10 mins get 200/200 in Sonic 4 on the 23rd?
http://live.xbox.com/en-US/profile/profile.aspx?GamerTag=thebreenis Something isn't adding up in this thread.

*sigh* If you're going to link Gamertags, at least do it through MyGamercard.net for people that don't have .net passports to log into X-box Live.

Interesting that he can use Sonic 4 (that hasn't has an official release) on his X-box Live account/consumer account. I thought Parternet and X-box Live had to have different accounts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom