• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Votes: Top 50 Nintendo Games of All Time (2016 Edition)

JediLink

1. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door: One of the first RPGs I ever played and still my favourite game of all time. It takes the Mario universe we all know and love but boldly deviates from it in all the right ways. The aesthetics and music and fantastic, the settings and characters are utterly creative and memorable and the story knows when to be silly and when to be serious - something that I find that Mario and Luigi series lacks in comparison. It's a blast to play from start to finish and I highly recommend it to any Nintendo fan who might've missed it.

2. Super Smash Bros. Melee: As much as I love Smash 4, as far as I'm concerned Melee is still the pinnacle. Not only does it sport the most comprehensive and enjoyable single player of the series (proud owner of all 290 trophies myself ^_^), the gameplay mechanics are simple to pick up while allowing for an insane amount of depth that few games match, and none in quite the same way.

These are the only two games I want to vote for because they're the ones I want to boost up. The rest would probably just be a bunch of Zelda games and stuff that would get plenty of votes anyway.

ec0ec0

These are the only two games I want to vote for because they're the ones I want to boost up. The rest would probably just be a bunch of Zelda games and stuff that would get plenty of votes anyway.

that's pretty much how i voted too.

by the way, i think that TTYD got plenty of votes.

1. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
2. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
3. Super Mario 3D World
4. New Super Mario Bros. Wii
5. Super Mario Galaxy 2
6. Rhythm Heaven
7. Mario Kart Wii
8. Pikmin
9. Super Mario Galaxy
10. New Super Mario Bros. U

leroidys

Here’s my list. There’s some amount of strategic voting here, and to be sure there are loads of other Nintendo games that could make it on a personal top 10 on any given Sunday. As I was typing this list though, I noticed a common thread to all the games that stood out as clear top 10 candidates. Some of them are longer or more storydriven than others, but every time I return to any of the ones listed just to dip my toe into the pool, I’m at risk of being drawn into an entire playthrough. In this way, these games, despite their varying ages, are already all well-worn classics, and I believe will hold up for (console) generations to come.

ySMv2dj.jpg

1. Mother 3
Gamers tend to fetishize rarity and novelty. Japan-only titles often command prices and praise far above their actual quality. Mother 3 is one of those never-localized white whales that actually stands up to its reputation. To me, it’s the perfect sequel to Earthbound. It takes many of the same notes, but is a lateral move rather than trying to advance everything in Earthbound to some logical next step. It stands neatly on its own pedestal next to Earthbound- each different enough to not make the other feel obsolete or inferior.
fQz1jAK.jpg

2. Wario Land 4
Warioland 4 is one of Nintendo’s triumphs of subtractive design. This game builds on the concepts laid out in the first 3 (4) titles, but holds nothing sacred. What results is one of the tightest, most inventive, weirdest games that Nintendo has put out. As a kid, I was disappointed that the experience was condensed where the previous titles were sprawling, but as time has gone on Warioland 4’s design choices have endured, where the plodding, collectathon tendencies of the other titles has grown tedious.
VIaxC35.jpg

3. Pikmin 3
The singleplayer is as good as it’s ever been, but the mission mode was some of the most fun I’ve had so far this generation. It’s so well-tuned that it approaches the feeling of playing a racing game for me, every time around the lap just trying to shave off a second to achieve that goal. I still return to it often in both singleplayer and coop.
v0LNqtq.jpg

4. Super Mario Bros. 3
An amazing achievement on the NES, and a game that has served as a blueprint for inventive, intuitive game design for almost thirty years. At this point, I think it’s safe to say that I’ll never tire of donning the tanooki suit and flying off, or grabbing the warp whistle and sneaking up on Bowser’s Castle.
qzCdCVm.jpg

5. The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening
Link’s Awakening was an attempt by Nintendo to bring a fully-fledged console Zelda experience to a handheld, but it ended up as so much more. The dungeons and exploration aren’t half bad, but what makes this game enduring is the world building and atmosphere. Quite an achievement for a game originally released on a glorified calculator that can vaguely depict 4 shades of grayish green.
Sc3bGgc.jpg

6. Super Metroid
I struggled with whether this spot should go to the more action-oriented Zero Mission or the more narrative driven Fusion, but ultimately this spot belongs to Super Metroid. Not only is it one of the greatest achievements in game design, it’s a perfect representation of the era when it was released. The definition of a timeless classic.
eUmyqG3.jpg

7. Kid Icarus Uprising
As a huge fan of the original Kid Icarus game, I was overjoyed when Nintendo decided to bring it back. Then I saw the reveal trailer, and my hype instantly died. “3DS title? Some weird mashup of shooter and brawler? By director of recent disappointment Smash Bros. Brawl? Bark like a dog?” I wrote it off, and never looked back. A few years later when I finally picked it up, I realized that I couldn’t have been more wrong. The game is a weird, yet somehow perfect, mashup of Kid Icarus, Starfox, and Monster Hunter. The writing is genuinely hilarious, the 3D visuals are some of the best on the system, the multplayer is great, and the amazing depth afforded by the equipment system and difficulty slider have kept it a fresh experience for years.
fFJgTS4.png

8. Splatoon
Nintendo’s long awaited entry into the competitive shooting genre finally lands, and it does so with a huge splash. So much more than a cute coat of paint on a well-defined genre, Nintendo successfully deconstructs every aspect of a multiplayer shooter, and rebuilds them block by block to make something entirely fresh. My only hesitation towards giving this game a top ten spot is that I’m sure there will eventually be a sequel that outdoes it, but for the time being it’s simply too good to leave out.
evRViDd.jpg

9. F-zero GX
F-Zero GX is a finely tuned, pure skill arcade experience as only Early 2000’s Sega Nintendo can deliver. It’s a game that always leaves you feeling like you’re one step away from mastering it, and I wouldn’t have it any other way. This game has been in constant rotation since I picked it up at gamestop for $3 10 years ago, and I don’t see that changing any time soon.
nbLd1z3.jpg

10. Advance Wars Dual Strike
Some of the titles may be more “balanced”, whatever that means, but Dual Strike bests them all on both fun and content. Maybe I would enjoy this game less if I googled some gamebreaking strategies, but as it is I’ve spent years bettering my times in the War Room and increasing my rank in singleplayer. Totally unrelated, but the Wars series is by far the most overdue for a Smash rep at this point, IMO.
Honorable mentions (No particular order).
These aren’t just other Nintendo games that I think are great, but other Nintendo games that I regrettably had to kick out of the top 10 at one point. All of them are top 10 quality.
*Super Smash Bros. Melee
*Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
*Fire Emblem Path of Radiance
*Rhythm Heaven Gold
*Wonderful 101
*Wind Waker
*Earth bound
*Pushmo/Crashmo/Stretchmo
*Super Smash Bros. 4
*Metroid Fusion
*Metroid Zero Mission
*Super Smash Bros. Melee
*Mario kart 8
*Pokemon Black & White
*Chibi robo
*The Legend of Zelda
*Donkey Kong
*Donkey Kong 94
*Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
*Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
*Warioware Twisted
*Super Mario 3D World
*Yoshi's Wooly World

Midn1ght

1. Donkey Kong Country (SNES)
2. Super Mario World (SNES)
3. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)
4. The Legend of Zelda (NES)
5. Super Mario Bros 2 (Yes, TWO) (NES)
6. Super Mario Bros 3 (NES)
7. Super Mario Kart (SNES)
8. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (GC)
9. Super Mario Land (GameBoy)
10. Tetris (GameBoy)

1. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
2. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
3. Super Mario Bros. 3
4. Super Mario Galaxy 2
5. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
6. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
7. Super Mario World
8. Earthbound
9. Super Metroid
10. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

Kurtofan

1. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze ; 4 points
2. Donkey Kong Country 2 ; 3 points
3. Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask ; 3 points
4. Donkey Kong Country Returns ; 2 points
5. Donkey Kong Country 3 ; 2 points
6. Donkey Kong Country ; 2 points
7. Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door ; 1 point
8. Super Mario Galaxy 2 ; 1 point
9. Super Mario World 2 ; 1 point
10. Legend of Zelda The Wind Waker ; 1 point

City 17

Personally it was more of a Zelda vs Mario list for me, it might not be fair for some other franchises, but then again some of the Mario & Zelda titles are so different and with such an enormous amounts of content that I can't count them as one.

1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time ; It's the definition of a classic. The sequel, Majora's Mask, might have surpassed it in terms of atmosphere, side quests and overall strangeness, but still I think it's the most balanced Zelda with the most amount of new content.

2. Super Mario 64 ; It's just unreal... The first major 3D platformer is still king in terms of control and feel-good factor. I don't think that there will be a time that I become tired playing it. SM64 alongside SMW are my (and I guess many others') go-to game when they are bored.

3. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

4. Super Mario Galaxy ; It was grand, the best thing that has happened to the franchise since SM64.

5. Super Mario World ; I could have gone for SMB3, but there's just something magical about SMW that I can't point my finger on it.

6. Mario Kart 8 ; Wouldn't be a Nintendo list without a Mario Kart.

7. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

8. Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story

9. Super Metroid

10. Donkey Kong Country Returns

1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Still my favorite console game ever.
2. Super Mario 64 - Still the gold standard for 3d platformers, this game hasn't been beaten yet.
3. Super Mario World - My favorite 2d platformer ever. Between SMB3 and this, I much prefer this one.
4. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - One of the all-time greats! LA is a near-perfect game.
5. Super Mario Bros. - The original is still really incredible.
6. Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 - Sure, it's easy, but this game will always be one of my favorite platformers. I love the gameplay, graphics, music, everything.
7. F-Zero X - Among the best racing games ever. The original F-Zero is very nearly as great, but this has more to do.
8. Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem - This is my favorite Gamecube game, regardless of where Dyack unfortunately went since...
9. Kirby's Dream Land 2 - This is my favorite Kirby game. Some of the GB's best graphics, sound, and gameplay, too!
10. Picross 3D - My favorite DS game, and one of the great puzzle games. Turning Picross 3d made it better than standard 2d Picross.

Honorable Mentions (in order, from next best):

x. Metroid Prime
x. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages
x. F-Zero
x. Super Mario Galaxy
x. Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie's Double Trouble
x. Fire Emblem (7)
x. Bionic Commando: Elite Forces
x. Donkey Kong 64
x. Kirby's Return to Dream Land
x. Mole Mania
x. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
x. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
x. Bit Generations: Digidrive
x. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons
x. Donkey Kong Country Returns
x. Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA)
x. Virtual Boy Wario Land
x. Paper Mario

1. Super Mario 64
2. Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal
3. Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver
4. Super Mario Galaxy 2
5. Super Mario Galaxy
6. Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow
7. Super Mario World
8. Mario Kart 64
9. Super Metroid
10. Super Mario Bros. 3

1) Super Metroid (SNES)
2) Pokemon Red/Blue (GB)
3) Links Awakening DX (GBC)
4) Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii)
5) Super Mario Bros 3 (NES)
6) Donkey Kong Country (SNES)
7) F-Zero (SNES)
8) Star Fox (SNES)
9) Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! (NES)
10) Kid Icarus Uprising (3DS)

AndrewRyan

1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D: Such love and care behind every little pixel. Wonderful characters. Beautiful world with such variety. Masterpiece!
  2. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds: Loved every minute.
  3. Super Mario 3D Land: My favorite Mario.. love the 3D. Love that it's portable.
  4. Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D: One of the best platformers ever. Perfect controls. Tough but fair. Catchy tunes.
  5. Metroid Prime Pinball: Short but so much fun and a fabulous portable. Use your rumble card!
  6. Super Mario World: Free with the SNES- felt like getting away with something. Left the 'quarter getter' concept behind for good.
  7. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon: Oozes charm, rewarding exploration, fun mechanics.
  8. Picross 3D: Fantastic puzzle game. Great interface.
  9. Donkey Kong Junior: Hard to rate it higher since many games have surpassed it, but the hanging vines level is fun and was unique at the time.
  10. Metroid: Other M: Good use of motion controls. Would make a great VR game.
  11. Kirby: Canvas Curse: Still one of the coolest use of the stylus.
  12. Advance Wars: Days of Ruin: Fun strategy game. Enjoyed the emo characters.
  13. Crosswords DS: My bathroom game for years. Great handwriting recognition and auto-scrolling.
  14. Big Brain Academy: Outstanding use of local multiplayer. Probably the game that hooked me on the DS.
  15. Punch-Out!!
  16. Super Mario Galaxy 2
  17. Metroid Prime Hunters
  18. Elite Beat Agents
  19. Custom Robo Arena

This is a tough one and I might not have time to add comments on all the games at the moment. I don't want to differentiate different versions of the game so I won't be adding any re-releases or 3D versions of the games. Some games it's been too long since I last played to add them on my list.

1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time ; One of my all time favorite games despite never having played this on N64. Only played the Virtual Console and 3D version of the game. The Level design, the music and the pure gameplay are among the best the gaming has ever seen. Ocarina of Time is memorable, charming and filled with personality. A true classic for the ages.
2. The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past ; Link to the Past has remained at the top of my favorite games from the moment I first played it back when it was released. I still play it every now and then and it remains as brilliant as I remembered. The gameplay is simple but addicting and the perfect pacing of the puzzles makes the game enjoyable experience from start to finish.
3. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker ; The Legend of Zelda is probably my all time favorite game series in case you couldn't guess. I love how different Wind Waker feels from the rest of the games in series and the charming art style combined with the beautiful music is just one of the reasons why I fell in love with the world of the game. Like almost every game in the series Wind Waker is filled with personality and sailing the vast seas makes you truly feel like you're taking an adventure.
4. Super Mario Bros. 3 ; My all time favorite platformer with a near perfect gameplay and level design. I never get tired of playing this one.
5. Bayonetta 2 ; I was a huge fan of the first Bayonetta and in my opinion the sequel improved on almost every level. I played this through three times back when the game was released and just couldn't get enough of the fast paced action gameplay with flawless controls. The story is not especially memorable but I do enjoy the tongue in cheek attitude and Bayonetta is a fun character.
6. Super Mario World
7. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
8. Super Mario 3D World
9. Mario Kart 8
10. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

Aters

1. Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War ; I really want a remake of that game.
2. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
3. Super Metroid
4. Pokemon Emerald ; Still the best Pokemon single-player wise to me.
5. Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
6. Earthbound
7. Xenoblade Chronicles
8. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds ; My favorite game this gen so far.
9. Metroid: Zero Mission ; I think it has the best control of all 2D Metroid games.

I still have Metroid Prime trilogy, all the 3D Zelda games, and Advance Wars series in my backlog. I'm looking forward to the next vote in 2020 when I finish most of those games.

Not easy, Let's see.

1. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask ; Until Bloodborne happened, this was my favorite game ever. I must have a thing for moons. Loved the three day mechanic, the masks, the surrealism, the very personal stories, the atmosphere. One of the most daring games Nintendo every made, a true masterpiece.
2. Super Metroid ; Level design like Swiss clockwork and incredible atmosphere. It's an absolute masterpiece of game design.
3. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island ; This is actually my favorite Nintendo platformer. The timeless graphical style is brilliant, but so is the gameplay, which sees you platforming, shooting eggs, morphing into vehicles and fight seed spitting monkeys. Touch fuzzy, get dizzy!
4. Super Mario Galaxy ; 2 is arguably the better game, but the first made a bigger impression on me. It felt so magical. It keeps throwing new ideas at you, is wonderfully presented and has a very touching story as well, which is rare for a Nintendo game.
5. Super Mario 64 ; I don't think it's actually that great as a pure platformer, but the controls, the way levels are self-contained sandboxes; it was an absolutely magical game when it was first released. There was nothing like it.
6. Super Mario World ; I thought long and hard about whether to include this or SMB3, but ultimately Yoshi, the map and the special world pushed SMW in front for me.
7. Star Fox 64 ; This game truly nailed a Nintendo sci-fi game for me. Loved the medal system, the branching level design, the tank, the tip of the hat to Independence Day; just an enormous blast.
8. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze ; Far, far better than the Rare games and one of the best 2D platformers of all-time. Slightly underrated in my book, it's a fantastic game.
9. Metroid Prime ; Wow, they way Retro turned Metroid into a first person game and mde it work is an incredible accomplishment. One of the most atmospheric games ever made.
10. Super Mario Kart ; I'm not even sure this is the best Mario Kart, but it is the most memorable to me. Maybe because it was the first and I played it for countless hours with a friend.

Apenheul

This was harder than I thought it would be, I expected most entries to be from the 16-bit era.

1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time ; Whereas later Zelda games typically went with a theme and ran with it, OOT did something of everything. At times it was bright, other times it was dark. It also still has the best pacing of any 3D Zelda game IMO.
2. Metroid Prime 2 Echoes ; It wasn't until I tried VR that a game felt so immersive to me as MP2, I love the attention to detail in the environment and how the narrative can be sampled by the player by actively scanning points of interest. What really stuck with me is how varied its boss-fights were and Quadraxis still stands as one of the best boss-fights ever conceived IMO.
3. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past ; What OOT did for 3D Zelda games AlttP did for 2D ones. Again it's the pacing that puts this one above the others for me and also the fidelity of controls.
4. Super Metroid ; What an experience this was the first time around, the game almost wastes no time explaining anything and just lets you discover its world, its lore and its intricate design.
5. Super Smash Bros Wii U ; The first fighting game I've played in which I can get my intended behavior to execute well and in which I don't feel extremely limited by the set of animations and screen space. I would've liked it to be about 15% faster than it is now but with its insane roster and 1080p/60fps presentation I'll be playing this game for years to come.. until the next Smash arrives.
6. Splatoon ; The gameplay is really frantic and unique, I love how every player can be useful even if they're not the type that can pull off one headshot after another. The way the stages are balanced for different weapon types is neat and the characters are among the best Nintendo has ever created.
7. Super Mario Maker ; Although its content comes from the community rather than from Nintendo I must say that I've had so much fun playing an almost infinite amount of levels in some of my favorite 2D Mario styles that this pushed all other 2D Mario games out of my list.
8. Mario Kart 8 ; This game set the bar so high for future Mario Kart games to come with its 200cc mode, Nintendo franchise characters and stages and a new physics and animation system that makes races come to live compared to other games in the series.
9. Xenoblade Chronicles ; Nintendo's (through Monolith Soft)best and boldest attempt at creating a large RPG. Amazes with its scope and layers of systems but unfortunately still drops the ball on side quests and character development.
10. Excite Truck ; Playing this game feels soooo good, it's accessible and at the same time very rewarding for skilled players. Trying to string insane combos hasn't been as much fun since Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 IMO.
11. Fire Emblem The Sword of Flame ; The Fire Emblem series is my personal favorite RPG series but I couldn't fit it among the top 10 games.

Turrican3

Sooo many good games.

Ok, let's go.

1. Super Mario Galaxy - a game I'll always fondly remember for literally putting a smile on my face for each of the incredibly inventive tricks that EAD Tokyo put in it
2. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - bought it at launch but for some obscure reason it didn't really "click"... played again after Windwaker and I fell in love with it, it did sooo many things right it's not even funny. Still arguably the best 3D Zelda IMHO
3. Metroid Prime - Retro Studios' masterpiece, brilliantly moved the franchise to the third dimension
4. Donkey Kong Country Returns
5. Xenoblade Chronicles X
6. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
7. Mario Kart 8
8. The Legend of Zelda: Windwaker
9. Yoshi's Island
10. Pikmin

1. Super Metroid ; One of the most future proof games ever. Hasn't aged a day.
2. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask ; So god damn strange. I love it.
3. Xenoblade Chronicles ; Great story, great battles, great OST. All that you need.

Shizza

A few notes:

Being limited to 10 titles of the entire Nintendo catalogue is quite limiting, so I'll be listing my favorite from a particular series (ex: only noting Super Mario Maker rather than Super Mario Bros 3, Super Mario World, Super Mario 3D World, etc).

I've played somewhere around 1/3-1/2 of the listed games (but I'm working on it) so some *obvious* titles may be omitted since I haven't gotten a chance to play them yet.

And without further adieu, my list:

1. Super Mario Maker (Wii U); I feel like this is the culmination of the 2D Mario franchise over the past 30 years, delivering more content than can actually be experienced, and utilizes the gamepad extremely well to allow the consumer to be the creator.

2. The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past (SNES); A natural evolution from the NES game, with the introduction of an actual story to the game, characters you got to know (and who spoke more than one line of text), a lovingly detailed world, and a companion dark-world that further expanded the overworld. I love how free and open the gameplay was, and how much added side-content there was to explore. The music and sprite work was fantastic, and quite memorable. This game is something special, definitely my favorite 2D Zelda, and quite possibly my favorite Zelda game in the series.

3. Mario Kart 8 (Wii U); This one was a toughie - as the N64 and Wii U versions have been the most-played game on those consoles for me - it's not even close. In the end I selected Wii U because it exceeds nearly every aspect of the N64 game (with the except of battle mode). The graphics are beautiful, the music is incredible, it's play is buttery-smooth, the roster has plenty of choices (I have no issue with the Koopalings, sorry), there's 48 tracks!

4. Tetris (NES); This is my favorite puzzle game ever. It's so simple, and yet so enjoyable. The gameplay is smooth. At a time when music and graphics were extremely hit or miss, this game delivered on both, to the point that it feels timeless, and pleasant to experience to this day. I probably played the Gameboy version more than this one (mainly because of portability - roadtrips and such), but the look and sound of the NES version won me over.

5. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Wii U); Another tough choice - as part of me wants to say DKC1 or DKC2, but as with the Mario Kart thoughts, in my opinion this entry does everything the SNES games do, but better. The graphics, the sound, the tight platforming. I feel like the collectibles are just right - enough to add to the game, but not so many that it's overwhelming. The secret levels are tough as nails, and incredibly rewarding once completed!

6. Super Mario Galaxy (Wii); Although I mentioned 1 game per franchise, I feel like the 3D Mario games are vastly different than the 2D variants. Without the timer and flagpole-ending it's a much slower pace, exploration game. As a side note, I haven't had a chance to play SMG2 yet (but that'll be remedied later this year). To me, this is the best 3D Mario game, and while I do love Mario 64, this one feels like a natural evolution of that game. With the enhanced graphics, great tunes, and refined gameplay, this one rises to the top.

7. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (Wii U); It's placement among other Smash games may be divisive, but to me it is the best in the series. It's provided countless hours of fun, whether solo or with multiple friends (many of which don't own a video game system themselves). I love the ginormous character roster, and variety of stages.

8. GoldenEye 007 (N64); My game-play breakdown during Gen 5 was essentially: 30% Mario Kart 64, 30% GoldenEye, 20% other N64 games, and 20% PC (variety of multiplayer games). I was in High School at the time, and multiplayer sessions dominated my game-time, creating some of my fondest memories during that period of my life. Even multiplayer aside, the campaign was excellent too. The graphics were great for the time, and the opening music "DUN DUN duuuuuu", I can still hear it now. Proximity mines EVERYWHERE, rockets flying by, Golden Guns Only, GOD DAMN ODDJOB AND THE BASTARD THAT ALWAYS CHOSE HIM!

9. Yoshi's Woolly World (Wii U); I feel like it distills down all of the positives from former Yoshi games to culminate as this series' pinnacle. There's so much charm woven into the game. The music is soothing. The platforming is tight. There's no crying baby! I love the aesthetic and how well it is carried throughout the game. The difficulty has a fantastic ramp to it, like Mario 3D World. You can blast through it, or focus on all the collectables.

10. Pilotwings 64 (N64); This game was such a pleasant surprise for me. I received it as a gift one Christmas and gave it a play. It seemed cool at first, but I got frustrated with difficulty of some of the missions. I kept coming back to it in between multiplayer binges and other solo games. Eventually I was able to get gold medals in every mission. This is one of my most desired games for another entry in HD - It would be glorious, I promise you.

Honorable Mentions:
x. Sim City (SNES)
x. Super Mario RPG (SNES)
x. Super Metroid (SNES)
x. F-Zero (SNES)
x. Star Fox 64 (N64)
x. Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii)
x. Lego City Undercover (Wii U)

It's really surprising to see how many Wii U games are mentioned.

Despite Nintendo's numerous blunders with the console I'm convinced that it has some of their best efforts in years, usually in the franchises you don't quite expect.
You could say it's been a good time for other franchises to shine while the usual big ones like are plagued by debates like "is 3D World actually a 3D game?!"

3DS has had its moments as well.

Sadist

Despite Nintendo's numerous blunders with the console I'm convinced that it has some of their best efforts in years, usually in the franchises you don't quite expect.
You could say it's been a good time for other franchises to shine while the usual big ones like are plagued by debates like "is 3D World actually a 3D game?!"

3DS has had its moments as well.
Funny you should mention 3D World, because as it is right now it's going to make the Top 50.

3DS snuck in some titles as well.

1. Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)
2. Super Mario World (SNES)
3. GoldenEye 007 (N64)
4. Super Mario 64 (N64)
5. Super Metroid (SNES)
6. Star Fox 64 (N64)
7. Super Mario Kart (SNES)
8. Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)
9. Metroid Prime (GCN)
10. Super Smash Bros. Melee (GCN)

HM

x. F-Zero (SNES)
x. F-Zero X (N64)
x; F-Zero GX (GCN)
x. Pokémon R/B/Y (GB)
x. Pokémon G/S/C (GB)
x. Mario Kart 64 (N64)
x. Wave Race 64 (N64)
x. Super Mario Bros. (NES)
x. Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)
x. Super Mario RPG (SNES)
x. Donkey Kong Country (SNES)
x. Sim City (SNES)
x. Pikmin (GCN)
x. Eternal Darkness (GCN)
x. Fire Emblem (GBA)
x. Banjo Kazooie (N64)
x. Perfect Dark (N64)

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
1. Super Mario World ; It might not be the most challenging game, but in my opinion Super Mario World perfected the plattform-game with some awesome new powerups like the cape and of course Yoshi, and the secret exits which made the series go from an obstacle course to more of an exploration game, and in my opinion. It also had a ridiculous number of great and memorable levels, physics that could let you turn on a dime, the addition of flight, and of course that great tune that slowed up or down depending on the level. All in all, its my favorite game of all time.
CUT9TCE.jpg

2. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past ; I am actually playing this game right now, and there is just so much good stuff going on here. The music, the duneons, even the story. But best of all is how the double world is implemented with the puzzles and secrets, forcing you to change worlds often and learn the tricks of the map to progress.
tgM9CJE.jpg

3. Super Mario Galaxy

4. Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link

5. Super Metroid ; While the minimalistic story, the great feeling of jumping and shooting, the awesome bosses, the beautiful graphics and the atmospheric music is all top class, the level design really steals the show in Super Metroid with secrets everywhere, shortcuts to find and puzzles to solve. Who can forget blowing up that tank to enter southern Maridia for the first time?
9eyUd4j.jpg

6. Super Mario Bros. 3

7. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

8. Mario 64

9. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

10. F-Zero GX

Honorable Mentions:

x. Donkey Kong Country 2
x. Donkey Kong Country Returns
x. F-Zero
x: The Legend of Zelda: Links Awakening
x: The Legend of Zelda: Majoras Mask
x: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
x. The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
x. Mario Kart 8
x. Metroid Prime
x. Metroid Zero Mission
x: Mike Tyson's Punch Out
x. New Super Mario Bros U
x. New Super Mario Bros Wii
x. Pikmin
z. Star Fox
x. Star Fox 64
x. Super Mario 3D World
x. Super Mario Bros.
x. Super Mario Galaxy 2
x. Super Smash Bros Brawl

MikeyB

1. Animal Crossing: New Leaf
A robust Animal Crossing Entry that somehow provides heaps of new content and no bloat. I really liked having Streetpass enabled for this game. It gave me so many decorating ideas.

2. Animal Crossing: City Folk
Would be my favorite, but horribly marred by the introduction of grass fading. What a terrible addition.

3. Animal Crossing. The OG. I'm making my town perfect and collecting these warbloids and wait, the seasons change with the calendar? And there are date-specific events? Amazing.

4. Eternal Darkness. Harness eldritch powers to fight the ancients. I loved the interconnection of the stories and the variation in the monsters based on the ancients.

Funny you should mention 3D World, because as it is right now it's going to make the Top 50.

3DS snuck in some titles as well.

I was gonna say how is it in with so few points, then I looked at the 2012 list and #50 had 20 points.

lol Xenoblade is definitely way over 24 points this time!

1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

2. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past; in recent years I've been trying to diversify my ballots in voting threads by limiting entries per series. I couldn't do that with my two favorite games of all time. So I decided to cheat and treat 2D and 3D Marios and Zeldas as separate (which is pretty justifiable for Mario at least). Link to the Past mixes diverse, intimidating dungeons with simple combat and light puzzle-solving. The puzzles are not quite as sophisticated as those in OoT or its successors, but the game's brisk pacing and compact overworld make exploration more fun than it's been in any subsequent Zelda game. I have played this game almost every year since 1992. It's that kind of fun.

3. Super Metroid; I feel about Super Metroid about the same way I feel about Link to the Past, though I came to it much later in life. Drop me in the game for five minutes, and I'm ready to play to completion. I can't think of a single game where just traversing the world is as much fun.

4. Super Mario Bros. 3; Here, I'm prioritizing originality over all-around quality. I happen to think NSMBU+NSLU is the best 2D Mario product, thanks to the added value of multiplayer and challenge mode. But SMB3 invented most of Mario conventions we're living with today. It's a testament to the explosion of creativity between SMB2 and 3 that Kuribo's shoe, torus-shaped levels, and tiny/huge world still feel fresh.

5. Super Mario 64; Same principle as above. Galaxy 2 is probably my favorite 3D Mario, but the credit here has to go to SM64.

6. Fire Emblem: Thracia 776; I rate Genealogy of the Holy War, Thracia, and Path of Radiance about even. I give Thracia the nod today because it is the most ambitious of the lot in terms of mechanics and level design. Not all the experiments pay off, but if you want to knock your head against a Nintendo strategy RPG, this is one that will leave a mark.

7.Super Smash Bros: Melee; This may well be my most-played Nintendo game, in terms of hours.

8. Pokemon Red/Blue; For all the refinements and conveniences the series has added over the years, I'm always impressed when I go back and see how accessible and smartly-paced R/B is.

9. F-Zero GX; 1 point; This is my all-time favorite racing game. The course design can be devilish, but the controls are so intuitive that I can take a year off and with a few hours rush straight through the hardest cups (Story Mode is another matter).

10. Perfect Dark; 1 point; It felt odd not to list a FPS when Nintendo released two all-time greats on the N64.

Honorable Mentions:
Donkey Kong Country 2
Mario Golf (GBC)
Advance Wars: Dual Strike
WarioWare
Elite Beat Agents
Splatoon

redcrayon

Interesting how few leftfield or non-mainstream titles are in people's lists.
To be fair Nintendo's made shitloads of great mainstream games on their systems over the last 30 years. It's not unreasonable to expect the same ones to pop up that have been widely lauded for decades.

If someone asks me for my handful of 'top' games on a platform, a set of platforms or just all-time greats, I'm likely to list my favourites rather than choose obscure stuff for the sake of avoiding popular choices.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
1. Super Metroid ; Still my all time favorite game. It just plays perfectly, great atmosphere, great controls, great setting, not overly difficult but not a complete cakewalk.

2. The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time ; Just a magical experience as my first 3D, large world adventure/RPG. Has aged better gameplay wise than a lot of N64 games, and the 3DS remake helped the dated graphics a ton.

3. Super Mario World ; Still my favorite 2D platform. Like the look, great level design, I loved looking for the keys and hidden exits. Nice challenge in later levels and the special worlds.

4. Metroid Prime ; Just an incredible, atmospheric game. I didn't think Nintendo had this kind of game in them. Shame it didn't start a trend of more "mature" games from Nintendo really.

5. Eternal Darkness ; I played it back to back to back to get the true ending and loved it every time. And I'm not one to replay games. I loved the setting, story, atmosphere etc. Again, shame Nintendo consoles post GC have gotten so few exclusives like this.

6. Super Mario Bros 3 ; Most hyped I've ever been from a game. Tons of buzz about it after The Wizard, lots of Nintendo Power and other magazine coverage. Played the shit out of it that summer.

7. Splatoon ; A competitive shooter that came out at a time I was close to giving up on the genre. I love the design, concept and how easy it is to contribute even if you aren't great at shooters--especially in Turf War. Overwatch is the only other shooter that's captured a similar feel for me.

8. Mario Kart 64 ; It's not as polished as Mario Kart 8 or other more recent entries. But the battle mode MP was sublime and it came out while I was in high school and remained popular through undergrad. So many great late nights playing this with friends at our parents houses and then dorm rooms/apartments.

9. Goldeneye ; Largely the same reasons as MK64. So many good times playing the MP with friends in high school and undergrad. Had a blast replaying favorite story missions over and over too. It was my first FPS game really as well, other than Doom on PC anyway.

10. Super Mario 64. This game blew me away in the day, and I'd put it higher if it had aged better for me and/or I had replayed it more/longer than the other N64 games I listed. That said, it was so impactful I do put it above the Galaxy games that I'd rate as better games overall. They just didn't have the impact on me that SM 64 had being my first true 3D movement game.

1: Ocarina of Time
2: Mario 64
3: Super Metroid
4: Majora's Mask
5: Super Mario World
6: Paper Mario 2: The Thousand Year Door
7: Eternal Darkness
8: Metroid Prime
9: Super Mario 3D World
10: Wind Waker

hutna

1. Super Metroid ; arguably GOAT only DQ3 is superior to me

2. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past ; favorite Zelda game. My most replayed game.

3. Fire Emblem New Mystery of the Emblem ; wished like heck that the SNES version would be released in NA back in the day. The DS remake let me play it. Favorite FE.

4. Super Mario Maker ; like a dream from my childhood made real.

5. Tetris Attack ; favorite puzzle game and maybe most played competitive game

6. Super Mario 3 ; favorite Mario game. Second most replayed game after Zelda lttp

7. Mario Kart 64 ; on ballance my favorite Mario Kart. Four player mode was amazing.

8. Kirby's Dreamcourse ; wife introduced me to this game. Has become my favorite "golf" video game. And I love my golf games.

9. Xenoblade Chronicles ; first modern RPG that took me back to the joy of the SNES days. The exploration is so fun

10. Sin and Punishment 2 ; such a fun game. Through and through a game I can always have fun playing.

EulaCapra

1. Super Mario Galaxy; because omg
2. Mario Kart DS; infinite replayability/portability
3. Super Smash Bros. Melee; fond multiplayer memories
4. Wii Sports; incredible social game
5. Xenoblade Chronicles; only RPG I stalled and maxed to avoid ending it
6. Eternal Darkness; incredibly engrossing and replayed 4 times
7. Splatoon; might have surpassed Smash Bros. play time
8. Meteos; super addicting gameplay and sound
9. Metroid Fusion; fond thrilling memories
10. Style Savvy: Trendsetters; the dark horse candidate excels

To be fair Nintendo's made shitloads of great mainstream games on their systems over the last 30 years. It's not unreasonable to expect the same ones to pop up that have been widely lauded for decades.

If someone asks me for my handful of 'top' games on a platform, a set of platforms or just all-time greats, I'm likely to list my favourites rather than choose obscure stuff for the sake of avoiding popular choices.
I guess I'm somewhat alone in that some of my favourites are obscure, and the choices were not forced.

Griss

Is this the best Nintendo games of all time or our favourite Nintendo games of all time?

I guess I'm asking: should nostalgia play a role here? I probably wouldn't play Pokemon Silver on a Game Boy Color these days, I'd play a newer game. The newer games would be a better recommendation to someone who had never played one before, for example. But that's one of my favourite games of all time.

And Ocarina of Time 3D is much better than Ocarina of Time, etc.

Not sure how to tackle this...

ec0ec0

Is this the best Nintendo games of all time or our favourite Nintendo games of all time?

at this point, i quick look at this thread will tell you what games are going to appear on the list regardles of what you do. You can simply go with tactical voting. Vote for some games that you want to make more visible in the list. You don't even have to vote for 10 games. That would be the easiest way around it.

edit: I remember how in one of this threads, it may have been in the previous Top 50 nintendo games of all time vote, i dunno, someone put yoshi's island number one on his/her list and the remainer 9 spots were all mario party tittles haha

1. Super Mario World
2. Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past
3. Super Mario 64
4. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
5. Super Mario RPG
6. Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
7. Super Smash Bros. Melee
8. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
9. Kirby Super Star
10. Earthbound

Honorable mentions:
x. Donkey Kong Country
x. Super Mario Kart
x. Mario Kart 64
x. GoldenEye 007
x. Star Fox
x. Star Fox 64
x. Pokémon R/B/Y
x. Super Punch-Out!!
x. Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX

leroidys

I guess I'm asking: should nostalgia play a role here? I probably wouldn't play Pokemon Silver on a Game Boy Color these days, I'd play a newer game. The newer games would be a better recommendation to someone who had never played one before, for example. But that's one of my favourite games of all time.

And Ocarina of Time 3D is much better than Ocarina of Time, etc.

Not sure how to tackle this...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yCC_b5WHLX0

shauntu

1. Xenoblade Chronicles ; Best RPG of all time, amazing music, amazing world to explore. Plus what happens with the High Entia and the Telethia shook me for a long time.
2. Fire Emblem ; Awesome introduction to series and still best characters. Hector Mode!
3. Super Mario Galaxy 2 ; amazing Mario game from beginning to very end.
4. Metroid Prime ; Best 'First Person Adventure' ever
5. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island ; Best 2d platformer title of all time
6. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword ; my favorite Zelda game from a series of awesome games
7. GoldenEye 007 ; best local multiplayer FPS ever, and amazing campaign mode. Also, no regenerating health bs.
8. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze ; Second-Best 2d platformer title of all time
9. Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance ; tough choice to pick between the Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn pair, but picked PoR finally due to the Herons backstory… characters like Caineghis, Tibarn, Naesala, Ike's growth, the Black Knight, and Sephiran though…
10. Mario Kart 8 ; frankly surprised to find this on the list, above many others, yet I have to say it is just pure fun and infinitely replayable.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
1. Star Fox 64 ; Takes the original game and adds just enough to improve the experience, from the tank and submarine to open range mode. Dog fighting against Star Wolf has never been more fun.

2. Star Fox

3. Super Mario World

4. Fire Emblem

5. GoldenEye 007 ; Like most people countless hours were spent playing this game - both singleplayer and multi.

6. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker ; This was the first Zelda game I ever played through to the end. I'm a monster.

7. Fire Emblem: Path of Radience ; The first time I ever encountered Fire Emblem and it was a revelation. Probably my most played game on the Gamecube.

8. Super Mario Bros. 2 - I still remember watching a neighbor kid play through this game in a single sitting one day. I was amazed and entranced.

9. Battle Clash ; Fight giant mechs with your super scope, blasting away their armor to slowly destroy them!

10. Galactic Pinball ; My dad and I used to take turns playing for the high scores. The Virtual Boy was worth it just for this game as it was basically the only game I could ever get him to play.

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2 ; Both Galaxy games are fantastic, but for me 2 wins out as I prefer the level select over the hub world. Plus Yoshi is awesome.
2. Super Mario Galaxy ; Amazing platformer only surpassed by its sequel.
3. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door ;
4. Mario Kart 8 ; The best in the series IMHO.
5. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening ; My first Zelda game. I was very late getting into this series as I owned mostly Sega consoles as a kid. Still my favorite of the bunch.
6. Pokemon Black/White ; My favorite Pokemon game.
7. Splatoon; creative take on the online shooter genre. Refreshing.
8. Punch out! (Wii) ;
9. Bayonetta 2 ; not sure if this one counts as a Nintendo game but I see others voting for it and it wouldn't have happened without the big N's intervention so I'm throwing this one in.
10. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze ;

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - still simply the best game I've played
2. Super Mario Galaxy 2 - best platforming fun
3. Metroid Prime - Makes you want to get lost on an alien planet :(
4. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
5. Super Mario 64
6. Super Mario World
7. New Super Mario Bros - Wii
8. The Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past
9. Super Metroid
10. Super Mario Galaxy

Not the most representative list, it's what comes to mind.

Words spent on games that need them

10. Mother (nes) - Mother is a strange game, it's hard to explain why it's so good. The combat is punishing and archaic. The locations are varied and interesting. The music is insanely good, Mt Itoi and Field 2 ~ Bein' Friends will be stuck in me forever. The story is simple and earnest. This game somehow is like distilled nostalgia even though I never played it while young. It feels so memorable in a way that only an obscure nes game from 27 years ago can. It is so uniquely itself that its greatness escapes qualitative measurement, and I love it.
9. Mario Kart Double Dash (gcn)
8. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door (gcn)
7. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (gcn) - a title usually overshadowed by its predecessor. Unlike the first prime, it was a more grim journey through miserable and drab alien environments, as well as shadow versions of the world, instead of fire world, ice world, etc. It had a more difficult final boss, much better story than the first prime, and more interesting levels like the sanctuary fortress. Plus it had the coolest suit in any metroid game, the light suit.
6. Super Mario Sunshine (gcn)
5. Super Smash Bros Melee (gcn)
4. Metroid 2: Return of Samus (Game Boy) - The most atmospheric, gripping portable game ever made, and my favorite metroid game. You have to hunt down a lot of metroids, which do not respawn. There is no map. You end up wandering through the labyrinthine corridors of SR388, as the repetitive, chiptune background music drills into your mind, etching away at your sanity. Combat in this world is quick and brutal; Samus has a large hitbox and the metroids flit around like deadly butterflies. You never know when you might chance upon one as you traipse around the mazelike levels. It's such a spartan experience, but one where every element of the game comes together to produce something remarkable.
3. Pokemon Silver (GBC)
2. Super Mario 64 (N64)
1. Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time (N64)

tinders

1. Metroid Prime
2. Xenoblade Chronicles
3. Super Mario 64
4. Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
5. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
6. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
7. Perfect Dark
8. Pandora's Tower
9. Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
10.Donkey Kong Jungle Beat

Honorable Mentions