• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization 6 announced, out October 21st

National Ability - Dynastic Cycles - Larger Boost from Eureka and Inspiration events.

Leader Ability - Builders receive an additional use, and can be used to rush Ancient and Classical Wonders.

Unique Unit - Crouching Tiger Cannon - High power, but short range. No resources needed to make

Unique Infrastructure - Great Wall - Unique Tile Improvement, provides defence and gold at the beginning of the game, and will provide culture and tourism as the game goes on. Each segment requires a builder charge.

The abilities sound powerful. And the Great Wall seems like it could be tricky to balance. Gonna be a fun civ to play.

munroe

Civ: Aztec https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw79o14yj6E
Leader: Montezuma

Special ability:
Gifts for the Tenochtitlan army: Luxuries give amenities to other cities and each different luxury gives military units more fighting power

Unique Building:
Tlatchli located in the Entertainment complex
Gives faith, amenities and great general points

Unique Unit:
Eagle Warrior: Can turn defeated units into builder units

However, the Aztec race seems to be locked for 90 days unless you pre-order

Pre-Order to receive early access to the Aztec Civilization Pack featuring Montezuma, a unique unit (Eagle Warrior), unique building (Tlatchli) and wonder (Huey Teocalli). The Aztec Civilization Pack will be available at launch as an exclusive pre-order item for 90 days, after which the content will be made available at no additional charge to all owners of the game.

So there's no more culture in this game? Since Aztec usually is a cultural warrior.

There's definitely culture. I don't know if we've seen a detailed explanation of border growth in this game (I think it's a safe assumption we are not going back to "culture-flipping," given what they've done with cities), but we know that culture is used to advance along the culture tech tree.

This video addresses some of the common complaints or concerns about the game (based on what's known so far).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM8YU41o9D4

I'm going to share my thoughts on the the concerns identified in the video:

(1) Missing features - I don't spend much time stressing about DLC civs or maps or whatever. We'll get them eventually, and the core game design just matters way more than controversial retail practices (at least until those retail practices start influencing game design). As far as game design goes, Ed Beach has pointed out that it's basically Civ tradition to throw out or remix parts of the previous game. The absence of the world congress doesn't concern me because Civ 5's version was a specific response to vanilla's diplomacy being lame and the mid-game needing a shakeup. Civ 6 is already overhauling diplomacy, and one of their goals is for diplomacy to evolve by era. If the base design works as intended, Civ 6 shouldn't need a world congress feature the way Civ 5 did.

(2) Visual style - I don't have any new thoughts on this and probably won't until I am actually playing the game. Legibility is a good goal. We'll see how well they execute. I will be turning on yield icons either way, because the only part of Civ I need to look pretty is the UI.

(3) Balance - Well, yeah, there are going to be balance issues. They'll get sorted out by the developers and by modders.

(4) The AI - I don't have much to say about something that is always a concern in these types of games. There were two broad criticisms of Civ 5 AIs: (1) they don't behave in a credible way; (2) they're not very good at the game. Firaxis clearly has a plan to deal with the first problem through new diplomacy features, including the agenda system. The second, well, the AI can't have gotten worse at managing 1UPT logistics.

(5) Network problems - Apart from asking the developers what they're doing to ensure network performance, there's not much point in worrying because there's nothing to be done.

(6) It doesn't feel like a Civ game any more - I don't quite understand this concern. It's still a history-themed 4x, and the basic game progression and most of its features are either lifted or adapted from previous Civs.

My biggest concern, not mentioned in the video, is that this won't get far enough away from design decisions that made Civ 5 less fun than Civ 4. Will cores--or anything else they're doing--fix the fundamental problems with 1UPT? Are the city-states going to be more fun than Civ 5's or just more streamlined? Is this still going to be a game about filling buckets?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I wouldn't jump to that conclusion.

We know there's culture in some form because one of the English special units is their ability to get more artifices with their archaeologists.

There's definitely culture. I don't know if we've seen a detailed explanation of border growth in this game (I think it's a safe assumption we are not going back to "culture-flipping," given what they've done with cities), but we know that culture is used to advance along the culture tech tree.

Ah I was just curious due to Aztec being more into luxuries now.

Boss Doggie

Might as well ask since Civ V thread is kinda dead.

does having teams in single player still count for achievements? and how do team gameplay work anyway? I haven't tried it even as far as Civ III

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Any word on Catherine's agenda?

She has a neat espionage bonus.

Anyone able to find ideal specs for CIV VI? It's time for me to upgrade my tower but I'd like to be way out in front of everything. My current -- even on lowest graphic settings -- always chugs near the endgame.

Maledict

No offense to France, but I find it hard to say Catherine Medici was the most powerful female monarch of the Elizabethan era...

Lots of culture focus so that's definitely a plus - also interesting that she has a mid game focus. That's the first time I can think of where a specific bonus only started after a certain time in that way, so good to see they are playing around with traits more

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
No offense to France, but I find it hard to say Catherine Medici was the most powerful female monarch of the Elizabethan era...

Lots of culture focus so that's definitely a plus - also interesting that she has a mid game focus. That's the first time I can think of where a specific bonus only started after a certain time in that way, so good to see they are playing around with traits more

Would be super neat, say in Civ VII, if you can select your Civ AND your ruler. Like every big Civ would have a couple or more to choose from.

Do we have any confirmation that they're not toying with multiple leaders for this one? Maybe not at launch, or for every civ, but the way the France video was phrased makes me really think that there's going to be multiple options here, with "Catherine's" focus being on spies, specifically.

She has a neat espionage bonus.

Yes, that seems neat. But I was actually asking about her diplomatic agenda. They've touted agendas as one of the major features of Civ 6 diplomacy (each leader has one permanent, overt agenda and one hidden, random agenda: e.g., Teddy does not like warmongers on his home continent; Cleopatra does not respect Civs with small militaries), but I don't think they mentioned Monty's or Cat's agendas in their introductory videos.

Yes, that seems neat. But I was actually asking about her diplomatic agenda. They've touted agendas as one of the major features of Civ 6 diplomacy (each leader has one permanent, overt agenda and one hidden, random agenda: e.g., Teddy does not like warmongers on his home continent; Cleopatra does not respect Civs with small militaries), but I don't think they mentioned Monty's or Cat's agendas in their introductory videos.

I think we all know Monty's agenda.

jph139

From what I can see, each Civ has:

- A Civ Ability
- A Leader Ability
- An Agenda
- A Unique Unit
- A Unique (Building/Wonder/Improvement/Etc.)

The fact that there's a separate Leader Ability and they're really hammering in that the Agenda is based on the historical personality rather than the general scope of the civilization says to me that extra leaders is 100% on the table.

Boss Doggie

I also think that because Leader Ability exists, it means there's a possibility of having multiple leaders per civ in the future.

Aim_Ed

Would you recommend the Civ series to someone who loves Age of Empires 2? I'm thinking about trying out Civ 4 or 5

They're nothing alike, but I'd recommend it. Great game and similar counters(spearmen > horses, horses > archers, etc.), but most of the time you won't find yourself fighting(although that mainly depends on your civ).

Would you recommend the Civ series to someone who loves Age of Empires 2? I'm thinking about trying out Civ 4 or 5

Depends on why you liked it, tbh. Gameplay is totally different (turned based 4x vs. real time strategy), but there's some familiar structural elements, gathering specific resources for specific stuff, historical themes. I played a lot of AoE 2 when I was a kid and took to Civ like a duck to water.

Definitely go with 5, all expansions.

Boss Doggie

While the games are different in scope, you would still feel familiarity. My first foray into Civ was pretty much like yours, curious to try out a civilization-based strategy game due to familiarity with an RTS lol

Bolivar687

Banned

You can't go wrong with either but I might prefer Civ 4 because the game pacing is much faster. It's easier to get bottlenecked in Civ V & BE and slow the flow of the game down to a crawl.

Bioshocker

China is up.

Leader - Qin Shi Huang

National Ability - Dynastic Cycles - Larger Boost from Eureka and Inspiration events.

Leader Ability - Builders receive an additional use, and can be used to rush Ancient and Classical Wonders.

Unique Unit - Crouching Tiger Cannon - High power, but short range. No resources needed to make

Unique Infrastructure - Great Wall - Unique Tile Improvement, provides defence and gold at the beginning of the game, and will provide culture and tourism as the game goes on. Each segment requires a builder charge.

"Qin is a ruler who gets things done". LMAO! Well, so did Stalin. The emperor Qin was a tyrant after all.

Boss Doggie

Well to be fair this isn't the first time Civ liked to... undersell negative stuff of a civ at the time.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
You can't go wrong with either but I might prefer Civ 4 because the game pacing is much faster. It's easier to get bottlenecked in Civ V & BE and slow the flow of the game down to a crawl.

I’m just the opposite, I vastly prefer Civ 5 now. I think the game just plays better than 4 did, and I love the one unit per tile mechanics, the hex maps, archaeology and tourism, and the UI is so much improved. This is of course only true of Civ 5 with all of the expansions and content, Civ 5 vanilla was NOT better than Civ 4 IMHO.

fresquito

Do we know anything about the business model of the game? I mean real life business. Will it follow early Civ V model (lots of small dlcs) or will it be more in line with BE and latter Civ V (big expansions)?

Do we know anything about the business model of the game? I mean real life business. Will it follow early Civ V model (lots of small dlcs) or will it be more in line with BE and latter Civ V (big expansions)?

If I recall correctly they promised upon release it will be comparable to Civ V + its expansions in features and depth. Which hopefully means it'll buck the trend of releasing a broken or unbalanced experience. I'm fairly certain they'll continue to sell small DLC civs though given that they're including one civ as a pre-order bonus (which typically implies it'll be paid for otherwise). That's just my best guess though.

Is there a good primer to get into these games? I've always tried but never had any clue what I was doing when playing with friends.

Top Bottom