• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization 6 announced, out October 21st

Anno

Can you list those things out?

I thought that housing was kinda similar to health in civ IV but I can't really think of much else.

I didn't play IV a lot, so there might be more small things, but off the top of my head I would say multiple leaders and music that evolves with eras. I know government types were only kind of implemented in Civ 4 and are more a callback to older Civ games, but they skipped 5 almost completely, so kinda sorta those too. High level stuff I suppose, and not necessarily unique to the Civ series, but offensive culture pressure would be as well.

Alright Amazon, it's about time to update my order now.

EDIT: Amazon just updated my order to arrive on the 25th. Sorry Prime Discount, not worth it! Maybe I'll try GMG.

My Amazon order still says Arriving Friday but also Not Yet Shipped.

This will suck if Amazon screws this up. I have so much free time this weekend.

Totakeke

I missed the AI stream, civfanatics seems to be in hysteria and people talking about canceling pre-orders.

Welp, still gonna play it this Friday.

My Amazon order still says Arriving Friday but also Not Yet Shipped.

This will suck if Amazon screws this up. I have so much free time this weekend.

GMG has it for $47.99 once you add to cart, so I might recommend going that way with it if the preload bandwidth isn't a big deal. I already got my keys from GMG.

Bregor

They are disappointed with the AI. Particularly the lack of aggressiveness and failure to upgrade units.

I'm not worried about it yet.

Blizzard

Banned
They are disappointed with the AI. Particularly the lack of aggressiveness and failure to upgrade units.

I'm not worried about it yet.
The AI designer specifically mentioned that in at least one case. He said that upgrading warriors required a luxury resource, I think, and in some cases the warriors cost no upkeep and can't be upgraded for a while, so the AI just keeps them around.

I had to leave before the industrial age, though. I don't remember the mentioning what difficulty it was on, either. Looked fine to me as a filthy casual. :p

Sibylus

Banned
Judging the quality of the AI from a single game of auto-director zipping around so quickly that even the game's creators were missing things... yeah no.

It was Prince difficulty I believe, so standard. In V that meant the AIs have no hidden bonuses to things like science and production active.

Fledz

4 hours until unlock in Europe :D

GMG has it for $47.99 once you add to cart, so I might recommend going that way with it if the preload bandwidth isn't a big deal. I already got my keys from GMG.

Yep, bought from them a couple of hours ago for 20% off. Instant double key (Game and Aztecs).

Hobbes211

Played and won my first Civ VI game on the weekend. It feels like an overall improvement to the series so far. I had a culture victory as Egypt who's trade ability os OP as hell. I was making close to 500g per turn towards the end (short game, only 3 Civs).

I like the research requirements being halved if you meet certain requirements as it really speeds along the mid game. The only thing I struggled with on that playthrough was espionage, but I'll tackle that next time.

Sendou

Feels like there is missing a couple difficulties between King and Emperor. Playing King was boring. Nobody seemed to care while I ran away with culture victory. Not even single war was had. Now compare to Emperor. Everyone wants to erase me. Been fighting between Rome, America and Barbarians for 1000 years now. Last place on everything and science victory that I started going for doesn't seem very realistic at the moment.

geary

Firaxis is working on Midnight Suns, right now. Unless they have a second team, i don't think we will see CIV 7 in the near future.

Last edited:

thegame983

It's strange I'm not sure what I would want from a Civ 7, but here are some thoughts.

(1) Complete rework of religion. The idea that you can win a 'religious victory' in 2050 is ludicrous and bares no semblance to the real world. I think that by the time you hit the modern era the religious game should stop and your religious strength should morph into perks and bonus' that then help you win one of the other victory conditions. The stronger your religion, the stronger the bonuses.

(2) A more streamlined version of culture/ governments. Having policy cards for your government is cool, but it becomes tiresome switching cards in and out in the late game. Perhaps a happy medium between Civ 5 & 6 in this regard

(3) A more fun form of domination victory that doesn't involve painting the map. Perhaps developing an overwhelming army or nuclear reserve that forces your opponents to accept you as the dominant force (like modern day america). this could also be linked to diplomatic victories (which also should not solely be based on how 'nice' you are)

Last edited:

Catphish

Civ 7 would need two things above all else:

1) An abandonment of the 1-unit-per-tile mechanic. It's completely unrealistic, and the AI is hamstrung by it.
2) Major AI improvement. It's laughable in many instances, but its inability to effectively wage war above a 1st-grade level is by far the worst.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Firaxis is working on Midnight Suns, right now. Unless they have a second team, i don't think we will see CIV 7 in the near future.

Firaxis has traditionally been developing two or more games in parallel. It took 6 years between Civ V and Civ VI, but in the meanwhile they launched Ace Patrol, XCOM 1 and 2 and Civ V "spinoff" Beyond Earth.
Since Civ VI launched 6 years ago they released only XCOM Chimera Squad (a XCOM 2 spinoff) and Midnight Sons set to release December 2.
Midnight Suns seems to be mostly a XCOM game with a different skin and some cutscene storytelling.

Considering the fact that Civ VI's last update "New Frontiers" released in mid 2020, I'd say there's a good chance we're getting Civ VII in 2023.

I really like VI, actually better than 5 but I'm not expert when it comes to Civ.
i've always been interested in trying them and finally did with V but i can't remember when that was.... well, looking at my Steam i tried it (last played) on January 3rd 2016 and only played 2 hours lol.

i can't remember why i didn't stick with it. i got VI free on Epic so keep saying i'll download it and see if that clicks. never got around to downloading it. i'm trying to play through so many games at the moment so hardly find time to jump into games that i'm not trying to clear out my backlog.

amigastar

i've always been interested in trying them and finally did with V but i can't remember when that was.... well, looking at my Steam i tried it (last played) on January 3rd 2016 and only played 2 hours lol.

i can't remember why i didn't stick with it. i got VI free on Epic so keep saying i'll download it and see if that clicks. never got around to downloading it. i'm trying to play through so many games at the moment so hardly find time to jump into games that i'm not trying to clear out my backlog.
I actually think trying out Civilization made my existence as gamer a better thing. I'm glad that i've tried it, the same goes for the XCOM series.
Just 4X games in general like Endless Space 2 and Galactic Civilizations 3.

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
i played a tiny bit of V but it didn't click for me. i got VI free but never bothered with it but have been thinking about giving it a shot.
5 and 6 were too complex for me. City states was kinda annoying in 5, and too much info was raining down on me while playing 6 so I gave up after tutorial. Maybe because I learned how to play Civ 3 from my friend, then I used that knowledge when I played Civ 4, they were more accessible for me. I can recommend those games and Civ: Revolution.

Same thing happened with Football Manager games. I used to have fun with those games but now I can't get into it.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
5 and 6 were too complex for me. City states was kinda annoying in 5, and too much info was raining down on me while playing 6 so I gave up after tutorial. Maybe because I learned how to play Civ 3 from my friend, then I used that knowledge when I played Civ 4, they were more accessible for me. I can recommend those games and Civ: Revolution.

Same thing happened with Football Manager games. I used to have fun with those games but now I can't get into it.
Yeah. IIRC, you couldn't raze or incorporate city states. Didn't make much sense and seemed like forced mechanics.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Damnit, I got super excited thinking there was a Civ 7 announcement when this thread got bumped.

As for what Civ 7 should be:

1. Reworked graphics, make empire building beautiful and fun instead of 100% strategic. I want the option to play in a way that allows me to beautify my empire, especially in the late game
2. Allow stacked units or formations of Amy's that utilize different unit types. I actually like the 1 unit per hex rule from a visual standpoint, but completely recognize it breaks the AI's ability to play the game, so give us a hybrid of the old and new by expanding the stacking army system they already introduced in Civ6 to feature different units, and make that army have a combined stregth score.
3. Bring back taxes and science sliders from Civ 2. I loved that mechanic of having to balance taxes/coin/science to achieve happiness in the empire.
4. Expand how resources work, the last few updates have made Civ 6 decent at this, but I want more, I want resources to be the driving force of wars. Trade wars need to become a thing too. Cold wars also.
5. Layer the world to have under sea/under ground/ground/air/space (orbit). That would greatly increase the fun of the late game if you get access to new slices of the map basically. Like once you discover submarines, have an under water section of the map reveal to allow gameplay to take place with submarine combat and ship wreck exploration. When you get satalities, allow a orbital space section to appear to allow satellite bombardment/warfare and electronic espionage.
6. Bring back the palace building minigame from Civ 2!
7. Allow scripted events to happen like world wide pandemics to kick in, taking 1 population from every civ per turn until the world wide community produces a vaccine. Another example is a "world war" happening once a certain number of total grievances it hit (civ 6 has a mod for this, its awesome!)

Last edited:

VGEsoterica

Damnit, I got super excited thinking there was a Civ 7 announcement when this thread got bumped.

As for what Civ 7 should be:

1. Reworked graphics, make empire building beautiful and fun instead of 100% strategic. I want the option to play in a way that allows me to beautify my empire, especially in the late game
2. Allow stacked units or formations of Amy's that utilize different unit types. I actually like the 1 unit per hex rule from a visual standpoint, but completely recognize it breaks the AI's ability to play the game, so give us a hybrid of the old and new by expanding the stacking army system they already introduced in Civ6 to feature different units, and make that army have a combined stregth score.
3. Bring back taxes and science sliders from Civ 2. I loved that mechanic of having to balance taxes/coin/science to achieve happiness in the empire.
4. Expand how resources work, the last few updates have made Civ 6 decent at this, but I want more, I want resources to be the driving force of wars. Trade wars need to become a thing too. Cold wars also.
5. Layer the world to have under sea/under ground/ground/air/space (orbit). That would greatly increase the fun of the late game if you get access to new slices of the map basically. Like once you discover submarines, have an under water section of the map reveal to allow gameplay to take place with submarine combat and ship wreck exploration. When you get satalities, allow a orbital space section to appear to allow satellite bombardment/warfare and electronic espionage.
6. Bring back the palace building minigame from Civ 2!
7. Allow scripted events to happen like world wide pandemics to kick in, taking 1 population from every civ per turn until the world wide community produces a vaccine. Another example is a "world war" happening once a certain number of total grievances it hit (civ 6 has a mod for this, its awesome!)
Did the same thing

But I cant play Civ any more. I lose too much time to it. "One more turn"...goodbye entire afternoon

CeeJay

I wait until all content has been released and then goes on sale before diving into a new Civ, it costs a fortune otherwise and the games have an incomplete feeling about them until all major DLC is released. So, because of this I have only just bought Civ6 and have to say that I think it's better than Civ5 in every way. However, it does seem that some things are a step backwards from earlier Civ games. I liked having the vassel states over city states and also the infamous stack of doom to some degree, also (unless i'm missing it) the ability to trade technology. I also miss the way that you could push your borders in previous games easier by increasing your culture in nearby cities, instead of the static borders we have in Civ6. On the plus side I thought the climate change mechanics were really nicely done and I really like the way how the cities spread out and function with the districts.

I think in Civ7 i would like to see;

1. Reworking the single tile occupation to have something that sits somewhere between the stack of doom and the current single unit model. Something like a battalion or division or such like where a general gives you the option to stack a number of different units with maybe a modifier on the amount of units depending on the experience of the general. Maybe even use an expanded battle system similar to total war where the screen changes to show the battlefield at full screen and you can watch them fight it out (or skip if you so desire).

2. Bring back the mechanic whereby you can expand and affect your borders by increasing culture. Nothing is more annoying in the game for me than a really important resource that gets arbitrarily put inside one of the other Civs borders and the only way to take control of that resource is to flip the entire city.

3. Take a look at the way Crusader Kings 3 handles civilisations, families and succession. It always irks me somewhat that you start a game of Civ with a leader who lives for the entirety of the game. Crusader Kings gets around this problem by giving you control of the character who is the current head of the family and you have to manage your line of succession making sure that your heirs marry well and pass on good congenital traits to their children. A simplified version of this would be good where instead of having fully dynamic leaders you could have a roster of different preset leaders for your chosen Civ and when one dies or loses power you move onto a new one. It could provide an extra layer of strategy where all players would know what the pool of leaders a particular competing Civ has and what their special traits are but would not know the order in which they would appear. Do you pick your strongest leader to start the game or do you save that one for a pivotal point in the game where they can make more of an impact? Leave it too long and the game could be over before you get to play your best leader.

Top Bottom