• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization 6 announced, out October 21st

Not at launch, at least. Hopefully it's something they look at in an expansion.

Actually, with Great Generals no longer building citadels, I don't know that there is a way to steal claimed tiles on Civ 6.

That's a good point. Hopefully there will be a way to snatch territory if we can't do that with citadels. I always found citadels to be only mildly useful, and only really used them when dealing with a very crowded initial start.

game is available in my store. Nice special and collector editions. I imagine the deception one can endure one buying the game but it says " nope " 2 more days to wait

Pagusas

Elden Member
That's a good point. Hopefully there will be a way to snatch territory if we can't do that with citadels. I always found citadels to be only mildly useful, and only really used them when dealing with a very crowded initial start.

I had one game where a Civ and I were against a channel of water dividing the contenent, really good strategic area to have, and they had both water tiles blocking anyone from using it mid game. Dropped a citadel on the coast and BAM, the channel was mine.

inherendo

City States are the worst. Their requests were always a huge pain in the ass for little gain. I'd either shower them with gold to get their perks or ignore them outright unless they were near to me and then I'd over take them if they didn't offer me any good bonuses.

Unless they are far away or asking you to build an early wonder, the quests are almost always worth it. You complete 2 and they are your friends for quite a few turns and those perks are best early game while your yields are still low.

jph139

Did anyone else here pre-order the 25th Anniversary Edition from the 2K Store? I'm hoping it ships in time to receive it on Friday, but I still haven't received a shipment notification.

Yeah, I haven't heard anything either. I recall they said release day shipping but I'm not holding my breath.

Anno

Using a citadel to steal a contested lux monopoly is the best if you're playing with the CPB. Especially if it's something awesome like salt.

I had one game where a Civ and I were against a channel of water dividing the contenent, really good strategic area to have, and they had both water tiles blocking anyone from using it mid game. Dropped a citadel on the coast and BAM, the channel was mine.

Isn't that the best?

Having a citadel overlooking an important waterway was always one of my favorite things. I felt like Gibraltar.

I'm rubbish at Civ. But I still love the games and enjoy playing with friends, just because of the mental stories that develop in my head while playing. My Dutch friend (actually Dutch, not playing the Dutch) is an absolute terror to play with. It is like he knows every trick in the book for Civ V. I'm looking forward to all of us being on equal footing for like... two games before he starts steamrolling us again.

Aaron D.

Tell her you need to do some research on Code of Laws.

Ha! That's pretty slick.

I actually thought of several rebuttals, but they all boiled down to...Translation: "I want to sit at home playing video games instead."

Now my wife 100% respects my nerd-out gaming lifestyle, but part of 20 years of happiness & success in marriage is looking at the rebuttal above and instantly realizing how ridiculous it sounds.

Oh, to be young & free again. LOL.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Holy shit, I totally forgot about this game. Watched some trailers and I think I'm ready to lose tons more sleep for one more turn. \o/

Anno

That's not too surprising at this point. What's up with 2K and review copies recently?

Good thing we have so much preview footage and live streams today and tomorrow of a more recent build.

We were told that review code would coming in Thursday morning. The preview build we had died yesterday.

So expect reviews-in-progress or review diaries.

BearPawB

Banned
The weird part is the press got that really intense preview build that was a lot of the game.
But they have been stingy on review copies

Thraktor

Civ 5 did have a demo - you got to play Egypt on a fixed map for 50 turns i think or something? Definitely sold me on the game when it was released.

I stand corrected, I never knew that.

Nice.

Never heard of Shenyyr, so now I have a new YT Sub.

They're basically the only three youtubers/streamers I know, as they play a lot of Paradox titles, and I generally work on the basis that there's not much point even attempting to play a Paradox game until you've watched at least 10 hours of playthrough videos. I haven't watched much of their Civ 6 videos, but all three of them seem to do a good job of explaining Paradox's much more complex (and crazier) game mechanics, so I'd say they'd all be good options if you're looking to get an idea of what the game's about.

Maledict

Just to confirm, having never used them before. If I pre-order the deluxe edition from Green Man Gaming, they just email me a steam key with the Aztec DLC as well right? And they have already started sending out those keys?

Kikirin

Just to confirm, having never used them before. If I pre-order the deluxe edition from Green Man Gaming, they just email me a steam key with the Aztec DLC as well right? And they have already started sending out those keys?

Yes to both. I pre-ordered from GMG as well and received my keys via email on Monday.

Nzyme32

Yes. Although I find it is usually quicker to go to the game page of your account to get the keys, faster than the email

Pagusas

Elden Member
Im surprised so many people are wanting reviews in this thread. What's the point, you know you will all be buying it. Even just watching the previews you know this is better than Beyond Earth.

Anno

Hereis a very helpful video about basic city mechanics like tile usage, amenities and housing from people who haven't been rabidly paying attention to early footage. Also just a great YouTube sub if you want to see lots of high level Civ that's very well explained.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Im surprised so many people are wanting reviews in this thread. What's the point, you know you will all be buying it. Even just watching the previews you know this is better than Beyond Earth.

Yep. I was adamantly going to wait to buy until after both official and consumer reviews were in, but then all of the youtube letsplays started coming and I watched over a dozen hours of direct gameplay, and heard how much everyone was honestly enjoying it, so I bought it. At this point I’m sure I’m going to love the game, the previews sold me hard.

SirNinja

Is there an OT in the works?

There is indeed! I will have it out very soon. Work has been a bit crazy recently, but I'm putting the finishing touches on it right now, and should have it out sometime tonight. It looks pretty good, can't wait for everyone to see it :D

Whales

Banned
Man, I went on a blackout for this CIV game, literally watched 0 game previews and the only content I saw for it were the few early screenshots posted here.

I almost forgot it was coming out ! I can't wait. It's just too bad I CAN'T go full '' one... more... turn lasts 7 hours'' mode anymore, school takes too much of my time :(

Also, anyone knows of a place where I could pre-order it for maybe cheaper? Canada here

EDIT: nvm, just saw gmg was a little bit cheaper!

I'm sure anyone half as excited as me has already purchased the game.

I'm looking forward to reviews just to hear what others think about it, but I already know I'm gonna love this. I'm usually part of the anti-pre-order crowd, but everything I've seen and read on the game so far has me feeling good.

Now hurry up and teleport me to Friday.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm hoping they start the AI battle royale only 30 minutes late, so I at least have time to watch some. They've been stalling for ages.

Top Bottom