• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization 6 announced, out October 21st

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
I doubt it (I don't recall Civ 5 having a demo). If you want to get an idea of how the game plays, watch one of the youtube playthroughs that are out there. Quill18, Arumba or Shenryyr all do good jobs of explaining how the game works, and there are probably others who are just as good.

More just to see how it runs on my laptop to be honest.

I'm sure anyone half as excited as me has already purchased the game.

I'm looking forward to reviews just to hear what others think about it, but I already know I'm gonna love this. I'm usually part of the anti-pre-order crowd, but everything I've seen and read on the game so far has me feeling good.

Now hurry up and teleport me to Friday.

Yeah me too, but the civ games are really constant quality games over the years so there is a very small chance to disappoint, the gameplay preview videos did the rest.

Now i just hope my 4 years old rig can run it.

Anno

Despite knowing how big Russia's cities will be it's still a bit shocking when they throw one down. Even more so than the Shoshone.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Pre-ordered the Deluxe via GMG. I have something like 1200 hours in on Civ V, lol. Doubt I'll get near that this time around, but I'll get good mileage out of it regardless. Hopefully the multiplayer performance is ok.

There is indeed! I will have it out very soon. Work has been a bit crazy recently, but I'm putting the finishing touches on it right now, and should have it out sometime tonight. It looks pretty good, can't wait for everyone to see it :D

Whew!

Blizzard

Banned
It's neat to hear the newest AI designer talking about the game as it happens. I'm hoping Civ 6 is better in this area.

He predicted the joint war agreement would result in peace because both sides chickened out after 10-15 turns.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Just pre-ordered! This thing is really only 3GB?! That's insanity. And finally,

is there a 12 player online map lined up for launch? I'd like to play my first online game of Civ.

Ludovico

Went in for standard, I'm sure I'll still be getting my money's worth by the time DLC/Ex start being released.

Time to preload!!!

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Just pre-ordered! This thing is really only 3GB?! That's insanity.

No, the Steam preload is only 3GB but those will de-compress Friday morning at 12:01 to an install size of about 7GB I think? Something like that.

Speaking of pre-load, my Civ 6 pre-load downloaded a few new files tonight. Probably a pre-launch patch of some sort.

Nzyme32

Cant wait to mod the intro out ;P.

Can't wait to mod William Morgan Sheppard back into Civ VI to narrate along side Sean Bean. Shit might as well do that with Nimoy as well and have them randomly do the different research / tech stuff.

Also I'd probably mod in Civ V music along side VI.

This is about the time when Sibylus the Bloodthirsty would pay off four-five AIs to fight each other and then jump in herself.

Clearly led by Rob Ford, look at all those units looking for a fight.

They're actually just cocaine fueled thugs with baseball bats. They'll invade the neighboring Civ snapping their fingers and singing in unison.

Pagusas

Elden Member
So the dev was asked "can you steal tiles like in Civ 4". And he gave a lonnnnnggggg pause than said (paraphrasing) "for what we are showing now, no."

Hmmmmmm! What are they hiding! Expansion material?

RedFyn

Do the 5% off referral codes not work on this? I cant imagine why hey wouldn't. I've never purchased anything before but it says my code is invalid.

Disxo

So the dev was asked "can you steal tiles like in Civ 4". And he gave a lonnnnnggggg pause than said (paraphrasing) "for what we are showing now, no."

Can you remind me of that mechanic? Been years since I last touched 4.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

Could be tied to the diplomatic overhaul they want to do soon. Great news though!

I think this was the first time in my life I ordered a deluxe edition of a game to get DLC before the game is even out, that is how much I trust this game.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Can you remind me of that mechanic? Been years since I last touched 4.

yep, in Civ 4 when your borders touched another Civ's. your culture would come into play. If you STRONGLY outdid their culture you'd eventually (slowly) take over the tile next to your tile. To expedite it you could do a culture bomb and nab the tile. It was a GREAT feature as it made the culture game actually fun and useful.

Anno

They've bought back a decent amount of stuff from IV already, so I hope they bring back culture border pressure as well.

Disxo

Wow, that's an awesome mechanic, hope they re-implement it soon. And perhaps give a casus belli for the civ that loses tiles.

Anno

Is there by chance Workshop support for this?

They haven't talked about modding much except to say that the engine was built for it to be the most moddable Civ game ever. I can't imagine it not having workshop support, though maybe not at launch.

Russia and the Aztecs are at war in the late game, there's mechanized infantry all over the place. This is getting good. Looks like the Aztecs are trying to wipe the Russians out from the north of the map.

There's some late game settling going on which is also a bit exciting.

What is really interesting is that you don't want to let barbarians go unchecked in the later games. There were barbarian anti-tank units attacking cities and the like on the borders as they swept in from the north. It was like Chaos in Total Warhammer...

...well maybe not that extreme.

Nzyme32

Is there by chance Workshop support for this?

Yes - it's on the Steam page

They haven't talked about modding much except to say that the engine was built for it to be the most moddable Civ game ever. I can't imagine it not having workshop support, though maybe not at launch.

They have talked about it a bit on stream. They were talking about having everything in place for people to make new Civs / Leaders etc

Anteo

yep, in Civ 4 when your borders touched another Civ's. your culture would come into play. If you STRONGLY outdid their culture you'd eventually (slowly) take over the tile next to your tile. To expedite it you could do a culture bomb and nab the tile. It was a GREAT feature as it made the culture game actually fun and useful.

You could use culture bombs on vanilla civ v too.

Sibylus

Banned
I'm glad that the turns are still going pretty quickly even in this late game.

Hundreds of AI royale games paying off, it seems (I presume their logging really helps determine all the large and small improvements they can make to bring turn times down).

They've bought back a decent amount of stuff from IV already, so I hope they bring back culture border pressure as well.

Can you list those things out?

I thought that housing was kinda similar to health in civ IV but I can't really think of much else.

Top Bottom