• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization 6 announced, out October 21st

My avatar gives it away. Torin the Chosen forever!!!!

I would love for someone to make a modern MoM, preferably in the style of Civ 5 / 6 but with the good old tactical combat and huge plethora of spells. I own War of Magic, Age of Wonder, Fallen Enchantress, no one seems able to re-create whatever it was that makes MoM so good to play and re-play over and over again. Such a shame. :(

I keep listening to music tracks from Civ 6 on youtube. This is going to be a long week….

I knew your avatar looked familiar but I couldn't quite place it. And yeah, I've never managed to find a game that scratched that same itch. The MoO sub-genre has been far luckier than the MoM sub-genre in that regard.

All the talk about Baba Yetu in here made me want to reinstall CivIV last night, actually. I stopped myself from firing it up though because it was already past 11pm and I knew how that was going to turn out.

Hobbes211

while I prefer Civ V's artstyle, to assume that VI's graphics is a "downgrade" that it is for tablets is hilarious

also god I hope you didn't see Civ II's silly looks

Pretty much unrelated comment, but Sid Meier's Civ II was my shit back in the day. I still have my CD copy on the shelf behind my desk. I wish I kept the tech tree flow chart poster that came with the game.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm gonna play the tutorial as my first game, because I'm a REBEL. :p

Well, also because I assume they will change a bunch of details from Civ V, and I'm hoping I will learn at least a few of those in the tutorial.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I'm gonna play the tutorial as my first game, because I'm a REBEL. :p

Well, also because I assume they will change a bunch of details from Civ V, and I'm hoping I will learn at least a few of those in the tutorial.

Tutorial? Does it even have one? Hell, did Civ 5 have one? o_O

Going in blind is half the fun. I built my way from an ignorant peasant to emperor difficulty without anyone teaching me how to play. Of course that did take a decade.....

For a complex game there must be a tutorial for sure. But i think the civ games are like easy to learn, hard to master. They are beginners friendly, one of the reasons for their succsess probably.

I don´t think the changings in 6 are very deep.

Cant wait to check it out.

Mengy

For myself when it comes to 4X games I simply start up a sandbox game on a slightly lower than usual difficulty and learn by playing. I don't think I've ever played any tutorials when it comes to strategy games, not that I can remember anyway.

For example, Kohan for the PC has a single player campaign and a tutorial too, and even though I've played literally hundreds of hours of skirmish matches in the game, I've never even started the campaign nor tutorial, lol.

Maybe I'll boot up Civ 5 tonight for the last time and see if it has a tutorial just for curiosity's sake...

Volodja

With the amount of info I already have of this game a tutorial would be pointless for me.
I'll see what to start with as far as civ and settings go once I'm in there.

you remind me of when people started digging out the original star wars to justify jar jar poo doo gags.

This is a new low in stupid comparisons, even for you.

it looks like a tablet game mate. a decent tablet game, but a tablet game. with all the flat gradients and bulbous art design to go with.

civ always had a reverence to it, a bit of class. now it's just another youtube thumbnail screaming for your attention by looking like everything else.

I assume you've never played Civ IV, then.

Chindogg

Anyone know if you can preorder a code from Amazon and get 20% off with the Prime discount?

Not a code but you can preorder the boxed copy and get the 20% off. Why is this? No one knows, it makes no logical sense.

Bah I was gonna get the deluxe edition but $80 is a bit much for me.

Zoator

Anyone know if you can preorder a code from Amazon and get 20% off with the Prime discount?

I'm pretty sure the discount is for physical copies only. With that said, the physical copies come with a Steam code, so as long as you're ok with waiting for the delivery, you should be fine.

bill0527

I've put damn near 1000 hours into Civ V. With that said, I've never played a Civilization game that was worth a shit until the first expansion at best, but more often than not the 2nd expansion. I'll check it out in a couple of years.

Mengy

Any idea when we can expect reviews?

I thought the review embargo lifted sometime today? Not sure on that though. In any case I’ve seen so many videos of many different people playing it that I’m already confident it’s worth my money. But then I think I’ve bought every new Civ game on release day too, come to think of it. It sucks that I have it just sitting on my PC for the next few days though. :(

IndustryX

I thought the review embargo lifted sometime today? Not sure on that though. In any case I’ve seen so many videos of many different people playing it that I’m already confident it’s worth my money. But then I think I’ve bought every new Civ game on release day too, come to think of it. It sucks that I have it just sitting on my PC for the next few days though. :(

Yep, cancelled my preorder a few months ago, but with Quill's playhtroughs out on Youtube I've become super optimistic about the game and pre loaded it on my PC last night. I can't resist Civ.. Can't wait!

Vex_

Banned
I already know this game is a buy, but I dont pre order games. It goes against my principles.

Not like im missing out on anything as far as I know.

Anno

I already know this game is a buy, but I dont pre order games. It goes against my principles.

Playing as the Aztecs is pre-order exclusive for 90 days. Not the biggest thing, but it might matter to you.

Also, anyone know what this UK livestream thing is that 2K has going on Twitch right now?

Hari Seldon

I don't preorder for in game incentives, but 20% off from Amazon is a good enough incentive for a game I am 100% positive I'm going to buy.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I think I'm going to start with Gorgo. With the new Civics Tree it makes sense to go with a culture focused civ and I prefer her special ability over Pericles' as I never cared for courting too many city states in Civ V.

Might then go with Japan as that was a favorite of mine in Civ V. Though China's/Qin Shi Huang special abilities are also pretty great. As are Rome's and Sumeria's leader/civ abilities. Lot of really great options.

Vex_

Banned
Playing as the Aztecs is pre-order exclusive for 90 days. Not the biggest thing, but it might matter to you.

Also, anyone know what this UK livestream thing is that 2K has going on Twitch right now?

......wait. so just as long as I get it day 89 and not day 90 I should be good right?

I plan on getting it day 1 tbh.

Anno

......wait. so just as long as I get it day 89 and not day 90 I should be good right?

I plan on getting it day 1 tbh.

If you pre-order you get it from the start. If you don't then you won't be able to play as the Azteca until 90 days after release when everyone gets it patched in free.

Vex_

Banned
If you pre-order you get it from the start. If you don't then you won't be able to play as the Azteca until 90 days after release when everyone gets it patched in free.

Ooooohhh that's what youre saying! Durrrr hurp burp.

Anywhonanny, I guess *sigh grumble bumble* I better pre order.

Any idea when the reviews are coming out? I'm definitely eager to play this; I adored Civ V. But...

Beyond Earth really burned me. I want proof-positive that Civ VI feels like the proper Civ style game I've come to expect from the series. I can't take that kind of disappointment again.

Looks like I'll cancel my Amazon order and go with GMG since it's an it cheaper not having to pay tax.

? I don't see any discounts through GMG.

Lister

Banned
Anyone hear anything about reviews? Embargo lifts?

;p

I found no info over at civ reddit or on the forums, unfrotunatley. It might not lift until Friday. But there's plenty of youtube vids and impresisons out there. Rock Papaer shotgun has a nice write up.

But yeah reviews need to include playthroughs witht he full game and at higher difficulties to see how the overall game shakes out.

Lister

Banned
Any idea when the reviews are coming out? I'm definitely eager to play this; I adored Civ V. But...

Beyond Earth really burned me. I want proof-positive that Civ VI feels like the proper Civ style game I've come to expect from the series. I can't take that kind of disappointment again.

? I don't see any discounts through GMG.

You need to log in and put the game in your cart, IIRC.

Tutorial? Does it even have one? Hell, did Civ 5 have one? o_O

It did actually. It got me into Civ. I tried with Civ IV on sale once, but the tutorial was essentially an hour video of Sid Meier explaining everything.

The tutorial in Civ V is actually just a game of Civ. The smallest possible map, with one other Civ, and Advisers cranked to 11 (there might actually be more Advisers in the tutorial mode). Everything you do, and I mean everything pops up info and tips about how to do things, which while that gets annoying later on, is SUPER USEFUL to a new player when there's just SO MUCH going on at once.

So close! I'm excited! I hope this will run well on my laptop. As I've stated before, I don't mind the art style.

Also, aping features from Endless Legend like districts is a good idea.

It did actually. It got me into Civ. I tried with Civ IV on sale once, but the tutorial was essentially an hour video of Sid Meier explaining everything.

The tutorial in Civ V is actually just a game of Civ. The smallest possible map, with one other Civ, and Advisers cranked to 11 (there might actually be more Advisers in the tutorial mode). Everything you do, and I mean everything pops up info and tips about how to do things, which while that gets annoying later on, is SUPER USEFUL to a new player when there's just SO MUCH going on at once.

I don't know if I ever played the tutorial specifically, but I remember the Advisors and the Civlopedia being helpful in getting you started.

I am poor student right now so I can't buy Civ VI on Friday, so I've been playing Civ V again instead, and really enjoying myself. From what I can recall, Civ V had a bit of backlash when it was first released. Did the DLC do a lot to address long time players concerns? What is the current consensus on the game?

Rubixcuba

Banned
I just finished my last game of Civ 5. Must have played about 350 hours? I finally won on Immortal difficulty, albeit a Diplomatic victory underlined with pure exploitation of the power of Gold to bribe everyone.

But! One of the Civs I was playing against was in full revolt mode due to being all Order ideology, and one of their cities became mine! Something magical about playing that many hours, and on the final game running into an event that had never happened prior, I was so surprised!

Disxo

Hey guys, does GMG work in latin america?, are these game keys region locked?
I´d love to know before putting my money there.

Edit:
DONE

Top Bottom