• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worms: WMD reveaked [PC & XO first] - new artstyle, vehicles, buildings

Yeah. I don't know how I feel about pre-order weapons for a Worms game. The masks are OK. But weapons? Tough proposition.

If they were reskins of already existing weapons that were just for added flair or something, I'd be cool with it, but the Ming Vase, Kamikaze and the Sheep Launcher are pretty good weapons that have been in the series for almost 20 years, so it seems crazy to lock that off to pre-orders (and presumably a post-release DLC). It's even more questionable when you consider that this pack is brazenly plug-heavy, which makes it hard for me to see anything but dollar signs in T17's eyes.

And how does this shit work online? Will all players have to have the DLC to be able to use the weapons online?

Mr_Zombie

OK, this looks interesting. What really got me is the scene that starts at 1:17. Every post WWP 2D Worms I tried had small maps and only a couple of worms per battle, but in the scene mentioned before there are 16 visible worms on a pretty wide map.

If you tell me this game doesn't have big console-first UI (it's funny how even on low resolution old Worms games managed to put more info on screen than the new games designed for HD screens) I might even consider buying it.

EDIT: OK, I saw this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRiZbywErmg
This really looks like return to old Worms style.

Jesus christ, can Team17 not make a game that looks like it's held together by duct tape and glue?

why is it chugging when it's just 2D sprites and aftereffects templates

chixdiggit

Been reading really positive PC impressions. Thinking of biting as $22 really isn't that bad considering all the hours Worms game can keep you occupied.

Preorder weapons is no bueno. I'll wait and see farther down the line how it is.
Pretty much why I skipped out on it. The game looked neat, but I'm tired of shit like pre-order weapons/items. You can use them if you play with other players, neat, but if I feel like playing alone or with friends locally, I'm boned.

I was considering waiting it out until I saw that a few classic weapons, including the Kamikaze of all things, were a part of this pre-order thing. Really disappointing.

jim2011

Best Worms since World Party. I've been buying them over the years hoping they would live up to one of my favorite games of all time, Worms Armageddon. Ever since they went 3D, they were terrible IMO. The physics and 30FPS animations killed it for me.

Worms WMD is essentially the sequel I and many others have been waiting for. The classic 2D gameplay with new additions. It is wayyyyy better than Worms Battlegrounds. I agree the price seems steep especially when I fully expect them to discount it next month without all of the bonuses but considering how much I loved Worms and like multiplayer games, I won't complain too much.

Gee, I'd buy this right now based on the new impressions but since I'm locked out of preorder weapons, I'm not buying. If I don't get the whole game I don't pay full price. Shrug.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Best Worms since World Party. I've been buying them over the years hoping they would live up to one of my favorite games of all time, Worms Armageddon. Ever since they went 3D, they were terrible IMO. The physics and 30FPS animations killed it for me.

Worms WMD is essentially the sequel I and many others have been waiting for. The classic 2D gameplay with new additions. It is wayyyyy better than Worms Battlegrounds. I agree the price seems steep especially when I fully expect them to discount it next month without all of the bonuses but considering how much I loved Worms and like multiplayer games, I won't complain too much.
Yeah, they knocked it out of the park. Bravo.

jrolson

Think this game has some sort of vsync bug. With it turned on, I had terrible slowdowns during explosions.

Had to limit my frames to 60 to get rid of these slowdowns. Not sure why this works, but now the game runs super smooth...

abracadaver

OK, this looks interesting. What really got me is the scene that starts at 1:17. Every post WWP 2D Worms I tried had small maps and only a couple of worms per battle, but in the scene mentioned before there are 16 visible worms on a pretty wide map.

Every post WWP Worms had 16 worm battles.

Does this game support MORE worms per game?

In WWP and Armageddon the limit was 48 worms.

Every post WWP Worms had 16 worm battles.

Does this game support MORE worms per game?

In WWP and Armageddon the limit was 48 worms.

6 teams with 8 worms in each is possible, at least locally. There are other problems with the game, but not that.

Original WWP supported 18 worms max in a match by the way. WA's support for 48 worms was probably a patch thing.

Is there 4 player local multiplayer?? Loved Worms on the PS1 with my bros and friends and itching for another game like that on PS4, if only to relive the memories in a modern fashion.

Hustler

[*] heavily influenced by W:A
[*] classic ninja-rope (8:52 in the video)

If this is true, this may be the game to draw me back into the series.

Is there 4 player local multiplayer?? Loved Worms on the PS1 with my bros and friends and itching for another game like that on PS4, if only to relive the memories in a modern fashion.

Of course there is, unless they cut it out manually from non-my-versions.

There is definitely local co-op, it's just not "simultaneous multiplayer."

WWP for instance had a few special missions involving 2-team co-op (or versus). The question was specifically about campaign, which doesn't seem to have anything like that.

FrsDvl

I haven't bought a worms game in ages, but this actually does sound really good. How is the online community for past worms games? Lots of people playing or no? It's the only reason I'm not quite sold on getting this, as I'm worried not many people care about worms anymore.

Think this game has some sort of vsync bug. With it turned on, I had terrible slowdowns during explosions.

Had to limit my frames to 60 to get rid of these slowdowns. Not sure why this works, but now the game runs super smooth...

Cheers. Wondering why Steam said it was running at 60fps but the game crawled during explosions.

epmode

It's nice that this game actually turned out well! I'd like to buy it but I'm sitting out unless the pre-order exclusive weapons and stuff are available as DLC. Because locking that stuff away from post-launch purchases is insane.

I bought this day one, it's really great. I like the singleplayer missions a lot, they're simple, akin to classic worms where it just gives you a particular battle to win on a map, usually with a unique theme or orientation based on using certain weapons and gadgets.

Visually, the game looks great, and for me, performance has matched that, absent of any significant frame rate drops. This is significant as previous 3D games chugged on PS4, and ran even worse on my laptop. I remember missing turns and messing up because of performance issues in those games, but not here, where it seems to be smooth.

I like the new vehicles, building interiors and crafting systems too. They work great, none of it feels overpowered, but offers new spin on the existing formula. Significantly, the crafting system allows you to really cultivate specific plays and strategies in ways that wasn't possible before. They added something similar to this in the previous iteration with the coin mechanic but it was still pretty rigid as you couldn't always acquire coins. Now if you want you can dismantle weapons you don't need, to craft those that you do.

I miss the water though, drowning worms in the previous 3D games, forcing them out of bunkers and whatnot, pushing them down hills to their death, the liquid mechanic was fun and they could have expanded on that. I think if worms wanted to then more physics orientated features would be really cool. They should look at Pixeljunk Shooter for inspiration, I feel that the water, lava, and ice mechanics in that game would be a good fit for a 2D worms title.

Fret

Theres not really many weapons you miss out on, the rest is all cosmetic. And if 1 person in the lobby owns the preorder stuff, all players get to use it. No one will be overpowered.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
our family had quite the blast with worms, quite literally 20 years ago. amazing to think about

orioto

Good Art™
I wonder if i should buy it.. i'm a huge fan of worms but there was such a terrible follow up to the franchise.. And now this one seems to do things right.. but i can't be excited anymore :\

Top Bottom