• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Reviews for "The Magnificent Seven"

Status
Not open for further replies.

scitek

I really enjoyed the movie. The ending fight was a little too drawn out for me, but *shrug.

I was really surprised that only some lived and died. Usually expecting either everyone to live or everyone to die.

Everyone
did die, some just took years longer to do it.

moai

Saw this yesterday, its a good popcorn film.
Surprised that
they killed pratt. Is this the first movie where he dies?

Kimawolf

I enjoyed it as well. Was a nice western not super serious like some in the past. I kinda hoped we would have gotten a
ending scene of the 7 riding off into the sunset. But it didnt happen what with four of them dying.

I also enjoyed seeing the wife go from victim to helping over the course of the film despite everyone trying to tell her not to.

Also Pratt just felt... annoying. I Much more enjoyed the Mexican guy performance. Somes scenes of him just standing there, he really looked the part.

I enjoyed it as well. Was a nice western not super serious like some in the past. I kinda hoped we would have gotten a
ending scene of the 7 riding off into the sunset. But it didnt happen what with four of them dying.
Have you seen the first or Seven Samurai?

Toothless

It feels odd to call The Magnificent Seven a remake. Yes, it's yet another adaptation of the Seven Samurai story, and it shares the name of a 1960 film that adapted the same story. Yet, it feels like a throwback picture in the basest sense. Absolutely no attempt is made to really modernize the story, except for adding more brutal violence than was allowed in the past. The cinematography and score (the latter partially thanks to the late James Horner) feel rather wonderful in their traditionally epic sense. Fuqua's direction is on point better than it has been in his last few films and Pizzolatto and Wenk's script fluctuates from serviceable to entertaining in a broad sense.

The acting is really fantastic. Washington commands the screen, as he should as the lead of the film. Pratt is very entertaining, and Hawke hams it up appropriately while elevating his character. D'Onorfio steals the show with his utter destruction of the scenery, although Sensmeier is a close second with fantastic presence. Bennett feels forced at points, but otherwise is decent. Sarsgaard is just okay, but he doesn't have nearly enough to work with.

The setpieces are really thrilling, with thankfully enough spacial awareness to allow them to really sing. The only issue with the film, and it's a big one, is that its throwback nature is, at points, offensive and, other points, just generic. That said, thanks to Fuqua's phenomenal direction and the great ensemble, The Magnificent Seven lives up to its title in the realm of blockbusters, and is still a good movie.

Hystzen

He has a lot to do in the movie. But fuck the guy has charisma in spades.

He needs meatier roles.

That's good going take GF then she loves Pratt and liked Hun since I made her watch I Saw The Devil, Bittersweet Life and Good Bad Weird.

Sounds like this just a solid put up feet and relax film

AKKMI6D.gif

Bahaha, this gif is pure perfection.

Fuqua is such an inconsistent director. Obviously Training Day is his best work, but everything since then was middling-to-awful.

The Equalizer pissed me off quite a bit with how much it squandered the overall premise and solid action scenes with horrible cliches, an uneven tone and pacing, and a ridiculously over-the-top, mustache-twirling evil Russian. The movie suffered even more because it was following the far superior John Wick which was leaner and had far better directing.

The trailer for Magnificent Seven feels like hardcore, general audience pandering to the maximum.

People should redirect their movie-going bucks towards HELL OR HIGH WATER, which is fucking amazing.

RedSwirl

Saw it. Better than the reviews made it seem to me.

Okay, it probably isn't as deep as the 1960 version or Seven Samurai, doesn't carry the central theme of contrasting peasants/farmers with warriors, but otherwise I think it did a fair job of telling the story considering the 50-year difference between the movies. The performances of the seven really do hold up the movie a lot. They even preserved more of the character archetypes than I thought. Action scenes are pretty good. May parents'll probably love it.

Caught it today with my dad and we both enjoyed it. I wasn't expecting much but it was better than I though it would be. There were some decent laughs and Denzel's performance was good. Definitely nothing to rave about but a solid popcorn flick.

Aselith

Hollywood needs more actors! They showed an ad for Passengers before this starring Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence.

Skilletor

Thought it was okay. Fun for the character moments and action.

Does the original and/or the Seven Samurai give the characters better motivation? That was my huge problem with it. There was literally no reason for any of these characters past Denzel's to go on this mission. Every time somebody else joined, I just kind of chuckled. Reminded me of an RPG with tons of throwaway characters that would join you just because.

how does Ethan Hawke (45) look older than Denzel Washington (61)

Black don't crack, meign. ;P

Bishop89

I have never really been a fan of westerns..

But I love the cast and it looked like it was well made so i gave it a shot.

I saw it last night and WOW it was such a fun flick.

The 7 members were all very fun and charismatic.

Loved Pratt & Manuel. Best of the bunch.

The explosions going off in the cinema, sounded so fierce!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom