• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Santiako

What's the black for in GB Tron?

Creatures (6)

2 Wurmcoil Engine
2 World Breaker
2 Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger

Planeswalkers (6)

4 Karn Liberated
2 Ugin, the Spirit Dragon

Lands (19)

1 Forest
3 Blooming Marsh
1 Ghost Quarter
1 Llanowar Wastes
1 Sanctum of Ugin
4 Urza's Mine
4 Urza's Power Plant
4 Urza's Tower

Spells (29)

4 Chromatic Sphere
4 Chromatic Star
4 Expedition Map
3 Oblivion Stone
2 Relic of Progenitus
4 Ancient Stirrings
4 Collective Brutality
4 Sylvan Scrying

Sideboard

2 Engineered Explosives
2 Thragtusk
4 Nature's Claim
4 Ravenous Trap
2 Warping Wail
1 Forest

Santiako

We got Tezzeret boys:

0gWTjyN.png

card from mtg taiwan's facebook, translation from reddit:

+1 create a colorless artifact token which has : tap:sacrifice this and add one mana of any color into your mana pool.
-2 target creature get +x/-x until end of turn which x is the number of artifacts you control.
-7 you get an emblem with "at the beginning of your combat phase,target artifact you control becomes a 5/5 artifact creature."

bigkrev

Yeah that is an... interesting card? I don't think it has a home right now, but it's a playable card for sure.

It seemingly does nothing in Standard without clues, and when the card was designed, they were under the assumption that Clues would rotate out 3 months after this card came out. This probably means something.

bigkrev

Oh, and Saffron Olive wrote a scathing article on Frontier today that does a great job summing up my issues with the format, and even bringing up ones I didn't think of

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/how-frontier-can-succeed-in-the-long-term

What I'm trying to say is that everything you love about Frontier today is fleeting. In fact, I'd argue that you don't love Frontier, but that the things you think you love about Frontier are simply byproducts of the newness of the format. It's essentially a honeymoon. Every marriage looks great during the honeymoon, but expecting the honeymoon to last forever is a sure way to end up dissatisfied over the long haul.

His eventual proposal is that he wants old extended- can have up to 8 years of cards, rotates every 4 years

Oh, and Saffron Olive wrote a scathing article on Frontier today that does a great job summing up my issues with the format, and even bringing up ones I didn't think of

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/how-frontier-can-succeed-in-the-long-term

His eventual proposal is that he wants old extended- can have up to 8 years of cards, rotates every 4 years

As far as I can tell, Extended was never quite what he proposes. The earliest version rotated cards out every two to three years, and from 2008 on, it rotated every year. Does anyone know why this change happened? That could show how feasible his proposal would be.

I previously mentioned that another possibility for making old Standard decks still useful would be "Standard vs. Standard" events, where you can have current Standard decks and decks from some older Standard compete, with the older Standard changing every week. This also has the benefit that a casual player can just straight up use their old Standard deck, without having to modify it. However, this would strictly be a casual event, so perhaps it would be best used in combination with Neo Extended.

EDIT: MaRo: In retrospect, vehicles should not have been at common
vorel-of-the-swole-clade asked: So now that Kaladesh has been out for awhile, is there anything that could have been done better in terms of design and development?

In retrospect, I probably wouldn’t have done Vehicles at common.

Wulfric

Are we under the impression Modern will be replaced with something?

No way that's happening, modern masters comes out next March. And with the triple GP in Vegas, I think Wizards is quite content with keeping it around. Even if it's only to appease the "hardcore" players. Without modern players, they really can't sell $10 boosters can they? :)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yeah that is an... interesting card? I don't think it has a home right now, but it's a playable card for sure.

It seemingly does nothing in Standard without clues, and when the card was designed, they were under the assumption that Clues would rotate out 3 months after this card came out. This probably means something.
I think that Tezzeret could be pretty good. It's a weird design so I can see why people would have trouble evaluating it.

It's weird to me that he makes a Lotus Petal when the Gold in Theros block didn't tap.

EDIT: I just realized it's because of fake artifact convoke.

Tezerret continuing to never be Esper. First ability is kind of insane, same goes for second. The Ultimate seems.. mediocre? I mean, I might just be missing something here but it's a way weaker ultimate then any other Walker in Standard right now (I think Sorin and OGW Chandra are weaker, but those still feel stronger then this in general.) Nissa's are either Draw 6+ and gain 6+ or "Landfall: Draw a card", Kiora's is removal, Gideon's is an anthem, Ob's is a clock, Jace is a lock piece, Nahiri's can instant win, Arlin's is haste+ping, Tamiyo's is free spells, Lilliana's wins the game in 4 turns, Dovin's is Static Orb, ToD is stupid strong, and Saheeli is a 3 equipment Tutor and play. Tezz doesn't seem that strong right now.

Also, Modern isn't going away because Wizards can get away with selling MMA packs at Inflated prices because Goyf. Good luck getting people on board for Frontier when literally every card in the format is easily available. I think the hardest card to get might be Ugin, and I'm not sure the demand is there for him in a format dominated by Rally/CoCo/4C Jace

Tezz ultimate is garbage his minus great and not sure about the plus.
Had he cost 3 with fewer loyalty he'd be insane but at 4 I'm not sure how much a lotus petal still matters.
Temur 5 mana Sarkhan drew you a card and gave you mana and never ended up seeing play.

The most redeeming factor about him is that he can minus twice and live with his starting loyalty

Ashodin

Seems powerful, 4 mana 5 loyalty is pretty hard to remove, but I'm curious to know how exactly good he will be. Deckbuilding should be interesting

kirblar

Frontier has much less to do with Modern than it does to do with Standard.

In the US Modern's picked up the slack, but in Japan (where it originated) singles prices for Modern are very prohibitive so this was created as an alternative.

Hero

Black still gets a bit of this, as seen with the gold tokens in Theros block.
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

Two cards that were primarily done for flavor reasons does not make much, it's like citing Chaos Warp and saying red should be able to shuffle any permanents into a deck. They've explicitly stated that black doesn't get mana acceleration anymore. Green gets permanent mana in the form of dorks and red gets temporary mana rituals.

tezzeret actually carries a mox with him, maybe he also has a lotus and hence can make petals

Also not sure whether people realize that talking so much about frontier only legitimizes it as a format.

If they make bans we wont be talking about Frontier in 2 months.
Don't think it's popular enough for bans yet, the format is just picking up steam across the world.
A month ago I spoke with employees of my LGS and they didn't even know what Frontier was but last week people had already started playing Frontier in their store. Neither standard or modern are dead in that LGS, there's a modicum of legacy and just 2 days ago there even was a unified modern event.

bigkrev

Hareuya twitter is promoting Liliana of the Veil for 8000 yen today- which is like 68$ on conversion rate. Even with EMS shipping that's an insane deal unless we expect her price to TANK in 3 months (cheapest NM play set on tcgplayer is $82 each)

Santiako

Hareuya twitter is promoting Liliana of the Veil for 8000 yen today- which is like 68$ on conversion rate. Even with EMS shipping that's an insane deal unless we expect her price to TANK in 3 months (cheapest NM play set on tcgplayer is $82 each)

She's a lock for MM3, but I doubt that'll tank her price. That's a good deal.

Tn6Vw24gUi_AER_CardFrame_WAS.jpg

Probably a cycle.
For those who don't remember, we've already seen a red version that pings for 2. I'm not sure if we'll see a full cycle, or if this will only appear in "artifact colors".

Concerning Frontier, after learning more about its origins, I think it will stick around at least as a regional format, but it's likely to die out globally as soon as Standard improves.

Tezz ultimate is garbage his minus great and not sure about the plus.
Had he cost 3 with fewer loyalty he'd be insane but at 4 I'm not sure how much a lotus petal still matters.

Depending on the context it's kind of like he's a 6-loyalty walker for 3.

Two cards that were primarily done for flavor reasons does not make much, it's like citing Chaos Warp and saying red should be able to shuffle any permanents into a deck.

Eh, not really. The only color that's supposed to get zero mana acceleration is white. Green and red are top at it, while black and blue both have special limited areas that they get it (for example, blue can make fast mana for colorless stuff, especially artifacts.) The gold tokens are kind of an aspect of that -- black doesn't get rituals anymore but it still gets a little bit of acceleration in certain areas like this.

OnPoint

Eh, not really. The only color that's supposed to get zero mana acceleration is white. Green and red are top at it, while black and blue both have special limited areas that they get it (for example, blue can make fast mana for colorless stuff, especially artifacts.) The gold tokens are kind of an aspect of that -- black doesn't get rituals anymore but it still gets a little bit of acceleration in certain areas like this.

I still think black should get "sacrifice creature(s), get X mana" type spells.

Hero

Depending on the context it's kind of like he's a 6-loyalty walker for 3.

Aside from the two gold mechanic examples provided when was the last time black got mana acceleration like that? I'm struggling to remember, other than I think one of the m1x sets had that bad Liliana of the Dark Realms that had a Lake of the Dead ultimate emblem or something.

So we can assume that the reason the Tezzeret emblem is unconditional is to get around the whole Beginning of combat shortcut issue, right? That's the only reason I can think of for why it wouldn't be "may". That said, it seems like it's going to make it very easy to miss the forced trigger on turns where you don't attack, especially for newer players that may not even fully understand they still go to combat in that case.

bigkrev

Aside from the two gold mechanic examples provided when was the last time black got mana acceleration like that? I'm struggling to remember, other than I think one of the m1x sets had that bad Liliana of the Dark Realms that had a Lake of the Dead ultimate emblem or something.

It's an ability like Red being able to Fork a spell, or Green getting creature kill that replaces the creature with somehing , or white getting Zombify effects- it's in their wheelhouse, but they only get it once every 10 sets or so because there is very little design space for the ability.

OnPoint

Tezzeret the Schemer? Come the fuck on. Makes him sound like this guy.

CUMWZIMU8AAWNLs.jpg

I think if they'd print a creature with such an effect it would be red nowadays.

I know you're right,but it makes no sense to me. Black should be the "sacrifice something living to gain something else" color. I know rituals are a red thing these days, but it just feels black in every way except that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom