• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Joy-Con $80, Pro Controller $70

Bouniter

Well no that can't happen.

I did make a little edit after a second thought.

Edit: On second thought I guess you would always be able to play in portable mode as the tablet has usb c port but still you couldn't use it as a console

but still that just can't be right

For everyone complaining about price and comparing to Dualshock:

Remember that this has an advanced haptic-like rumble system as well as technology for detecting an object's position relative to the controller.

This is NOT an apples-to-apples comparison. I don't like the high price, either, but let's be realistic here.

Joycon to DS4 may not be apples to apples but isnt the Pro Controller more apples to apples? They need to come out and explain why the Pro Controller justifies a $70 price tag!

Tricky thing is, I am not potentially buying a Joy-Con pack to split it into parts and sell them off. I am potentially buying a standard game platform controller for multiplayer. That's the only part I am really buying here, and I assume most others too. With that in mind, is that technology really a good fit here? Do separate Joy-Cons have to be that small? I mean, it saves Nintendo on making them to make one size, but for my big, shaking fingers this is an antifeature. And for the same reason I don't like analog sticks. But these are very personal sentiments, you'll say, especially the latter. Sure, but there are others which are probably universal:
  • The NFC reader should not have been a part of the JoyCon. Multi-amiibo functionality for local multiplayer with people from outside? Seriously? This really should have been part of the main unit, with an optional extender for home play a'la one for O3DS.
  • I doubt if HD Rumble is going to be an actively used feature, especially in multiplayer games.
  • The IR camera is the really confusing thing to me, given that's it is apparently not going to be used for a sensor bar equivalent, and its positioning. The only use of it I have seen so far is frankly ridiculous. Did I mention that it being in one Joy-Con probably propels up prices of both single Joy-Con SKUs, and reduces multiplayer uses? (If it was in both, the combo pack would definitely be pricier, don't get me wrong.)

What would be the price of Joy-Cons without these? I frankly don't know. But for me they would have lost next to nothing of the value as multiplayer controllers.
I don't really disagree with anything you're saying. NFC in the actual system would make more sense unless it's something that has to be used frequently, requiring you to get up every time you want to use it. HD Rumble I'll wait and see on but the IR camera is just baffling to me. They didn't even show a single gameplay application for it. It doesn't even look like 1 2 Switch, the "here's what the new controller can do" game, uses it. WTF?

Wiimote is a 2006 technology. A technology that is no longer compatible with Nintendo's hardware by the way.

Looks like you're doing bad crisis PR here.
I'm not trying to do any crisis PR here, thanks, I'm just trying to keep things rational.

I'm pissed as hell at the prices of everything Nintendo announced last night. Why the FUCK is the dock $90? For $9 more I can buy a 2DS, which is an actual full system and not just a plastic shell with HDMI and power passthrough.

I know the Wii Remote is 2006 technology. That's why I said initially. As in, when it came out. Although the prices haven't dropped, fuckin ridiculous. The technology in the JoyCons is modern, as in, newer. It uses more precise motion controls that the Wii Remote or Wii Remote+, it has more technology in it than the Wii Remote, it has haptic "HD" rumble which is something that only even made it into iPhones last year, it has an NFC reader in the right JoyCon, and it has an IR Camera in the right JoyCon. And on top of that it's all in a smaller shell, and as everyone should know shrinking technology increases price.

So the JoyCon R, alone, will all the improved and new technology, in a smaller form factor than the Wii Remote, costs $10 more than the Wii Remote did when it launched, and on top of that, also has more, newer tech than a DualShock 4, and costs $10 less than that does.

Do I still think it's overpriced? Absolutely. I was not expecting to have to pay $50 for a single JoyCon let alone $80 for two. But I'm not trying to damage control a crisis here, I'm just pointing out that there is a reason for the price tag when you actually get over the sticker shock and think about what's in there. And just because I'm using common sense and rationality to explain why it costs as much as it does, doesn't mean I like it. I'm not gonna buy another set of JoyCons possibly ever, yet I have 6 Wii Remotes and a Wii U Pro Controller. The only way we'll get 4 players going in my house is if my girlfriend buys her own Switch and we sync her controllers to mine when we have friends over.

In fact I think the *only* way Nintendo will ever get me to buy another set of JoyCons is if they release one with the GameCube button layout, and even then it better be a fucking lot cheaper than $80 since they can remove all the extra shit from that.

And don't even get me started on the fucking JoyCon Grip they include with the system not being able to charge them, and you have to buy an additional $30 JCG just for that, making the one they put in the box effectively worthless if you do.

Joycon to DS4 may not be apples to apples but isnt the Pro Controller more apples to apples? They need to come out and explain why the Pro Controller justifies a $70 price tag!
From what we know the Pro Controller is literally two JoyCons welded together. It has HD Rumble on both sides and an NFC reader, as well as the IR Camera on the back IIRC. It might not have the camera though which would explain it being $10 cheaper *laughs angrily* ):<

Remember that this has an advanced haptic-like rumble system as well as technology for detecting an object's position relative to the controller.

This is NOT an apples-to-apples comparison. I don't like the high price, either, but let's be realistic here.

It isn't a fair comparison, but mass consumers are not going to care about features that will most likely be used only by a handful of games and quickly forgotten about.

Bottom line is people are going to be paying a ridiculous amount of money for extra controllers.

Caelus

Wait, the joy-con grip included doesn't charge the joy-cons? I swear I've read this like five times but I can't process this - is this confirmed? Does it at least have a USB-C port to charge it?

The dock being $90 is bullshit, it's not even an SCD.

Wiimotes were $39.99. You get two JoyCons for $79.99. I dunno, I'm not outraged. The Pro controller seems unnecessarily expensive, but I'm fine with the JoyCon prices.

**shrugs**

Also, seeing as how the controllers are clearly meant to be halves to a whole, who is going to buy a single extra joycon? It seems like a complete waste to do that.

Neoweee

Also, seeing as how the controllers are clearly meant to be halves to a whole, who is going to buy a single extra joycon? It seems like a complete waste to do that.

What fraction of games will require 2 of them?

Insane, really. Those prices are ludicrous.

Most games won't use their extra functionality over Wii hardware. Not being backwards compatible with wiimotes or wii pros is a joke.

Wait, the joy-con grip included doesn't charge the joy-cons? I swear I've read this like five times but I can't process this - is this confirmed? Does it at least have a USB-C port to charge it?

There's two grips. Comfort (comes with system) and the charging grip. Comfort grip is literally a shell that holds the joycons.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Agree with this. The only thing I can think of is if it has the haptic feedback triggers.

It isn't a fair comparison, but mass consumers are not going to care about features that will most likely be used only by a handful of games and quickly forgotten about.

Bottom line is people are going to be paying a ridiculous amount of money for extra controllers.

Agree completely.

That said, people paid a ridiculous amount of money for Wiimotes as well.

Caelus

There's two grips. Comfort (comes with system) and the charging grip. Comfort grip is literally a shell that holds the joycons.

Thanks. What a load of crap. I know charging the joycons on the Switch itself isn't much of a hassle, but this is still silly.

Some people will never be happy even if Nintendo gave everything away for free.

I love Nintendo, love love their games, and will probably shell out $400 for Zelda on this thing, but one can't really defend all of their decisions at this point.

Nope, the JoyCon Grip included with the system does not charge the JoyCons, it's literally just a shell. For $30 you can buy the JoyCon Charging Grip.

I can't believe the price of the Dock. I was expecting $40. $90 is like out of their fucking mind territory. WHY is it that expensive? What possible justification for that is there? I wanted a second one to keep at my parents' house for when I go visit them. Guess fucking not at that price.

Someone who breaks one of theirs, or if someone buys the Neon Switch and decides they want to have it be full Neon Blue or Red.

And you can bet your bottom dollar those won't be the only colors they release. Or styles, if the patents are anything to go by.

Feels like they are just covering their bases in case someone breaks one side or the other. I'd guess retail stores will only stock the 2 Pack of L/R joy cons and the separate controllers will basically be available through online for replacements if your dog eats the left side or something.

Edit: joycon price on its own compared to Wii remote seems ok. That pro controller is a ripoff though. Should be $50 max in line with Xbox and PlayStation. And the replacement dock is also a ripoff. Wonder if it can be done by third parties on the cheap.

The fuck went on in that Joycon Grip thread? The damn first post has the link to the proof on Nintendo's own site and yet people cause a storm and it gets locked? Open that sucker back up!

JOYCON GRIP! Included with console, no USB-C
ZvfbF65.jpg

JOYCON CHARGING GRIP! $30, USB-C
AOCF5xr.jpg

The fuck went on in that Joycon Grip thread? The damn first post has the link to the proof on Nintendo's own site and yet people cause a storm and it gets locked? Open that sucker back up!

ZvfbF65.jpg

AOCF5xr.jpg
Yeah I'm annoyed at that. The diagrams make it obvious.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

ZvfbF65.jpg

AOCF5xr.jpg

What glorious madness. This is the huge downside of ModBot as I wouldn't know which Mod decided to lock to re-open.

Or if the comfort grip also includes a USB slot? Had to wait til January to REALLY get the lock on all these deets. Just had to.

ZvfbF65.jpg

AOCF5xr.jpg

It's got 20 hours of battery life.

Just throw it back on the console after you are done.

It's not that big of a deal if it doesn't charge.

it's the fact that this is just something else ontop of everything.

Why the fuck would they ship a gimped grip with the system. This thing is already terrible value for your money as is.

Jerm411

So do you have to charge the Joy-Cons separately or will they charge with the Switch if connected and it's charging....?

Matbtz

ZvfbF65.jpg

AOCF5xr.jpg

That's just a fucking joke... It would have kill them to just pack in a charging grip in every box ? That's not how they will be back in the race.
I love the product i'm seeing but those prices are outrageous.

I fear the price of the VR/AR headset now. I thought it'd be $30 but seeing the prices of everything else it's probably gonna be like $120 just for a hollow shell and velcro strap.

Switch might be the Nintendo console I wind up buying the least amount of accessories for ever if they keep this pricing up for the rest of their unannounced accessories.

koss424

the regular joy con grip can charge by a cord is my understanding.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I fear the price of the VR/AR headset now. I thought it'd be $30 but seeing the prices of everything else it's probably gonna be like $120 just for a hollow shell and velcro strap.

Switch might be the Nintendo console I wind up buying the least amount of accessories for ever if they keep this pricing up for the rest of their unannounced accessories.

VR isn't happening for Switch 1.0.

If Switch 2.0 has 1080p screen, then that patent will come into play perhaps.

If I'm in the middle of playing a game, it'd be goofy to have a controller that could go dead without a way to charge it and continue playing.

seantos

Neo Member

The problem isn't that all the tech inside doesn't actually cost that much, its that it shouldn't have been in there in the first place. It unnecessarily added to the overall price of the system and the accessories for a gimmick that will be used in a few games just like the wii u gamepad.

rpmurphy

So do you have to charge the Joy-Cons separately or will they charge with the Switch if connected and it's charging....?
You charge it by docking them to the tablet, is my understanding. The charging grip is akin to a charging dock type of accessory.

the regular joy con grip can charge by a cord is my understanding.
No, the grip bundled with the console is non-charging.

Why on earth would you think $30? Samsung VR, also just a shell, is a $70 product. Honestly, people had some odd expectations.

seantos

Neo Member

More and more expensive accessories and addon's sure worked out well for Sega and all that money they made. I am worried about the path nintendo seems to be heading down as they get more desperate and the money isn't there like it used to be.

Hopefully I can charge a second set of joycons on the tablet while using the others wirelessly. So long as I can do that, I'm okay with it.

If not, yeah. That's super stupid.

rpmurphy

Hopefully I can charge a second set of joycons on the tablet while using the others wirelessly. So long as I can do that, I'm okay with it.

Hopefully. If the tablet is docked, it wouldn't make any sense to use the controllers that are attached to them.

You can use a pro controller while the joycons are on the system, so it stands to reason there should be no issue.

VR isn't happening for Switch 1.0.

If Switch 2.0 has 1080p screen, then that patent will come into play perhaps.
I also said AR. It's important to not just leave out part of my post. We don't know WHAT the headset does, just that there's a patent for it. In another thread we were discussing the rumors of Luigi's Mansion 3 featuring AR and something that sounded an awful lot like HD Rumble that came out a while back, and we were wondering if the headset might have a camera in it that connects to the Switch via USB-C (can't remember if the patent showed the innards of it or not), thus making it an AR headset and not a VR headset. Maybe it's neither and it's just "theater mode" for the Switch.

Why on earth would you think $30? Samsung VR, also just a shell, is a $70 product. Honestly, people had some odd expectations.
I had no idea, haha shit that's expensive. Ok then the Switch headset will be $160 then right?

More and more expensive accessories and addon's sure worked out well for Sega and all that money they made. I am worried about the path nintendo seems to be heading down as they get more desperate and the money isn't there like it used to be.
):

rtcn63

Lets see, so a Dualshock 4 has:

Accelerometers
Rumble
Light bar
Touch pad
A headphone jack
One control pad, one analog stick, and two analog triggers more than a Joycon
and it costs $48 USD right now on Amazon.

I know the joycon has more internal crap for all their motion games but $50 for one of these is ridiculous.

It's even more stupid when you compare a DS4 with the Switch Pro Controller that'll sell for $70 which are a more direct comparison and it's not clear whats so amazing about the Switch Pro that justifies a $20 price premium over the PS4's.

What were they thinking!?

The DS4 is $43 (with eggsaver shipping) right now from Newegg https://slickdeals.net/f/9667576-du...-jet-black-39-99-ac-newegg?v=1&src=SiteSearch

Pie and Beans

I also said AR. It's important to not just leave out part of my post. We don't know WHAT the headset does, just that there's a patent for it. In another thread we were discussing the rumors of Luigi's Mansion 3 featuring AR and something that sounded an awful lot like HD Rumble that came out a while back, and we were wondering if the headset might have a camera in it that connects to the Switch via USB-C (can't remember if the patent showed the innards of it or not), thus making it an AR headset and not a VR headset. Maybe it's neither and it's just "theater mode" for the Switch.

I had no idea, haha shit that's expensive. Ok then the Switch headset will be $160 then right?

):

If you want the headset to now ALSO feature an HD camera to pipe into peoples eyes, then you're talking more like a $150-$200 device.

So once again, unless Switch 2.0 has dual cameras or something, this thing aint happening for the Switch 1.0. I'm not even sure if they Joy-Cons can be tracked in a positional space other than the limited 2 foot IR thing sensing things.

watershed

Banned
Yeah the included grip not charging the joycons is a bit ridiculous. Just another example of Nintendo cheaping out and passing the expense on to consumers. Its all the details about the Switch that suck like paid online thru a phone app, crappy storage, and this. And pricing in general is just too high across the board. $90 for a hollow dock is crazy.

Let's be realistic. Rumble isn't the new hotness anymore. Most people don't care.

Yeah the included grip not charging the joycons is a bit ridiculous.

When I bought a PS4 it didn't come with a separate way of charging the controller other than connecting it to the system, and it came with a super short cable. When I bought an Xbox One, it didn't come with a rechargeable controller.

The switch comes with two rechargeable controllers and a way of continuing to play games when they run out.

Top Bottom