• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Joy-Con $80, Pro Controller $70

Linkura

Nintendo is out of their goddamn minds. If these are really this expensive to make, they should have taken the hit to their profit. 80 goddamn dollars. No one is going to think that is a reasonable price. They're pushing multiplayer, and it's going to cost $380 up front for a system with two controllers. No one is going to look at that and think it's anything but outrageously expensive. Especially considering the prices of the competition.

Nintendo is out of their goddamn minds. If these are really this expensive to make, they should have taken the hit to their profit. 80 goddamn dollars. No one is going to think that is a reasonable price. They're pushing multiplayer, and it's going to cost $380 up front for a system with two controllers. No one is going to look at that and think it's anything but outrageously expensive. Especially considering the prices of the competition.

*four* controllers.

Which announced game requires four pairs of joycons for four player mode?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
When I bought a PS4 it didn't come with a separate way of charging the controller other than connecting it to the system, and it came with a super short cable. When I bought an Xbox One, it didn't come with a rechargeable controller.

The switch comes with two rechargeable controllers and a way of continuing to play games when they run out.

Why not just make one joycon grip with all of them having a USB Type C port?

When I bought a PS4 it didn't come with a separate way of charging the controller other than connecting it to the system, and it came with a super short cable. When I bought an Xbox One, it didn't come with a rechargeable controller.

The switch comes with two rechargeable controllers and a way of continuing to play games when they run out.
This comparison doesn't work because USB cables are maybe $5 tops for several in a package and rechargeable AA batteries are less than half the price of this overpriced plastic garbage.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Too expensive for my taste and screw local co-op using 1 system I hope that Nintendo or a 3rd Party Brand makes a left Joycon with a REAL D Pad by the time I pick this up when Mario comes out in the Holidays.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
The new PS4 controllers, that were $59.99 go on sale regularly for like $29.99-$34.99

Your telling me, I can almost buy 3 Dualshock 4's for 1 Joy-Con...

*Snaps Fingers*
*Vanishes*

"Nintendo Switching it up, raping that wallet of yours in new ways!"

If you want the headset to now ALSO feature an HD camera to pipe into peoples eyes, then you're talking more like a $150-$200 device.

So once again, unless Switch 2.0 has dual cameras or something, this thing aint happening for the Switch 1.0. I'm not even sure if they Joy-Cons can be tracked in a positional space other than the limited 2 foot IR thing sensing things.

Fuck me, I guess I just have no idea how much components like that cost. I figured a camera like the ones in smartphones plus a plastic shell and a strap would be relatively inexpensive.

And yeah without something like a sensor bar to track the JoyCons you're right, I dunno how it would work. FUCK does that mean that Switch 2.0 will need all new JoyCons?

The new PS4 controllers, that were $59.99 go on sale regularly for like $29.99-$34.99

*Snaps Fingers*
*Vanishes*

It's kind of disingenuous to compare a sale price to an MSRP.

Why not just make one joycon grip with all of them having a USB Type C port?

I presume it was to let them bundle a grip and still make profit.

The grip seems like a completely optional extra to me. I don't plan on using it. Obviously they think a lot of people are going to think a grip is required though, so they've bundled one, and made a cut down one to do so without eating into whatever they make on each of these.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I presume it was to let them bundle a grip and still make profit.

The grip seems like a completely optional extra to me. I don't plan on using it. Obviously they think a lot of people are going to think a grip is required though, so they've bundled one, and made a cut down one to do so without eating into whatever they make on each of these.

Hold on....I thought it was required lol. I'm confused now.

*Snaps Fingers*
*Vanishes*

TWO joy cons. Not one. One joy con costs $50. Two costs $80.

This isn't really debateable.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I just realized, this might make Sony and MS raise their prices...

Thank fuck I have 3! DS4's, 1 kept mint until its time for one of the used one to get replaced

Ptaaty

LOL - Nintendo you are crazy.

Success of Pokémon Go and Mario Run, Wii U bomb and now this....I wonder until how long until they get out of hardware.

Ploid 3.0

They'll sell the colored joycons for about the same price as the Switch.

I don't hope Switch will fail, but I hope if people expect to scalp hard that they won't be successful. Maybe Nintendo will have enough units and resupply well. Schadenfreude for scalper fails.

gRalSC3.jpg

Somnid

*Snaps Fingers*
*Vanishes*

If those go on sale why wouldn't these?

Hold on....I thought it was required lol. I'm confused now.

You can play split handed without the grip, which is what I plan on doing. I loved the split controls on the Wii.

This comparison doesn't work because USB cables are maybe $5 tops for several in a package and rechargeable AA batteries are less than half the price of this overpriced plastic garbage.

Neither comparison works. Bitching that you can't do something out of the box, that you couldn't do out of the box with the other consoles isn't valid to me. Bitching about $30 for the charging grip though... that I don't see any issue with.

And I think the pro controller is horrendously overpriced, when about the only thing it has going for it, is that it has a d pad.

Linkura

*four* controllers.

Which announced game requires four pairs of joycons for four player mode?

I'm counting a "pair" as one controller. But yes, each one could theoretically be used by 2 people. I suppose that since you'd only need the pack-in controller for 2-player it's a little easier to swallow. But Nintendo is known for their 4 player shit, especially Mario Kart. Families are going to want 4 controllers/2 joy-cons, that's another 80 bucks. Meanwhile PS4 is $299 with a pack-in game and Xbone is $250 and both have better graphics and online capabilities. Parents are going to look at this and think it's outrageously priced. They aren't going to care that the controller has some new technology in it. All they're gonna see is it's way more than the PS4/Xbone for very little extra apparent value.

Yeah the included grip not charging the joycons is a bit ridiculous. Just another example of Nintendo cheaping out and passing the expense on to consumers. Its all the details about the Switch that suck like paid online thru a phone app, crappy storage, and this. And pricing in general is just too high across the board. $90 for a hollow dock is crazy.

Yep. Death by a thousand cuts. No one aspect of the Switch is a dealbreaker, but seemingly every aspect comes with some kind of caveat. This is shaping up to be Nintendo's most frustrating platform ever, and that's really saying something.

I mean if you want to be able to use them like a controller, the complete thing is $110.

No.

I didn't need to buy something to weld together a nunchuck and wiimote to play numerous wii games. The grip is for people that prefer a controller like that. It's in no way required.

Faiz

Half convinced pricing of accessories is partially to encourage additional sales of more Switch consoles. More people that want to play in your house and need more Joy cons? A pair plus a grip is $110. Oh you'd like to have an extra dock to use at another TV in the house? Total is now up to $200. Might as well buy another whole Switch at that point, given the initial conceit that someone else in the house plays games.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The problem isn't that all the tech inside doesn't actually cost that much, its that it shouldn't have been in there in the first place. It unnecessarily added to the overall price of the system and the accessories for a gimmick that will be used in a few games just like the wii u gamepad.

I am in agreement with this, and said so in the other thread. That said, we aren't discussing that at this point. I was responding to people comparing it to Dualshock, which is not an accurate comparison.

Let's be realistic. Rumble isn't the new hotness anymore. Most people don't care.

Except that wasn't the argument at all. Not even close to the discussion we're having right now.

BadWolf

Half convinced pricing of accessories is partially to encourage additional sales of more Switch consoles. More people that want to play in your house and need more Joy cons? A pair plus a grip is $110. Oh you'd like to have an extra dock to use at another TV in the house? Total is now up to $200. Might as well buy another whole Switch at that point, given the initial conceit that someone else in the house plays games.

More like to encourage people to get an X1/PS4.

I'm counting a "pair" as one controller. But yes, each one could theoretically be used by 2 people. I suppose that since you'd only need the pack-in controller for 2-player it's a little easier to swallow. But Nintendo is known for their 4 player shit, especially Mario Kart. Families are going to want 4 controllers/2 joy-cons, that's another 80 bucks. Meanwhile PS4 is $299 with a pack-in game and Xbone is $250 and both have better graphics and online capabilities. Parents are going to look at this and think it's outrageously priced. They aren't going to care that the controller has some new technology in it. All they're gonna see is it's way more than the PS4/Xbone for very little extra apparent value.

This is completely illogical.

You cannot play four player local multiplayer without having four controllers. I don't see how that can be a negative for the Switch which comes with two, and not the PS4 or Xbox One that only come with one.

If I want to play a four player game on Xbox One or PS4, I've got to buy three more $60 controllers. So why the fuck do people keep ignoring this?

Humdinger

So with a Pro controller, that's a $370 price tag (US). With tax, that's over $400. Since I was mostly looking at it for Zelda and maybe the MK8 port, I'm out.

Linkura

This is completely illogical.

You cannot play four player local multiplayer without having four controllers. I don't see how that can be a negative for the Switch which comes with two, and not the PS4 or Xbox One that only come with one.

If I want to play a four player game on Xbox One or PS4, I've got to buy three more $60 controllers. So why the fuck do people keep ignoring this?

It's true, but people aren't going to see it that way on the shelf when they see an extra controller is $80. You need to realize the average consumer isn't very smart. There's no big lettering on the box that says you can actually use a single $80 Joycon as 2 controllers for multiplayer. It's going to confuse people.

PSFan

You can use a pro controller while the joycons are on the system, so it stands to reason there should be no issue.

But the Pro controller doesn't come with the system and costs an additional $70. It would be cheaper to buy the charging grip in that case.

It's true, but people aren't going to see it that way on the shelf when they see an extra controller is $80. You need to realize the average consumer isn't very smart. There's no big lettering on the box that says you can actually use a single $80 Joycon as 2 controllers for multiplayer. It's going to confuse people.

All the marketing shows people using a pair of joycons for two player games. ALL OF IT.

The_Lump

Banned

*Snaps Fingers*
*Vanishes*

If those go on sale why wouldn't these?

You're forgetting that on release all new devices must cost the same or less than an older device's current price, or it is an afront to consumers.

Top Bottom