• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Joy-Con $80, Pro Controller $70

Maybe! But again, maybe some people want to be able to use them in a traditional controller layout as well!

Who knows!

If your friend or brother or spouse ALSO wants to be able to use the controller that way, and they won't buy their own grip, you're out $15.

I won't have to worry about it though. I'm not going to be using the bundled grip, so anyone who comes by that wants to is welcome to use mine.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Wait the extra joy cons just come by themselves?

lmao. I guess just buy an extra pro controller for ...70.

$50 for one.
$80 for a pair.
$30/$15 for a Charging Grip/Non-Charging Third Party Grip

If your friend or brother or spouse ALSO wants to be able to use the controller that way, and they won't buy their own grip, you're out $15.

This is worse than handing someone a shitty third-party controller. Making people buy their own shit, hahaha..what? I can understand if they own the system as well, but come on.

Chakan

Wait a sec...I need to buy the charging grip to recharge the joy-pads? The grip included with the Switch wont do that?!

True in the sense that if you wanted 4 player wii capability, each extra wiimote was $40, with the nunchuck being $20. I think people have forgotten then. The Pro controller at $70 is the real WTF price IMHO, as well as the Dock as I'd probably have bought an extra one to put in my bedroom if they were like $30-40 dollars. Again, that's strictly an optional accessory to buy extra docks.

I think overall, it's a case of people doing the math and seeing just how expensive this thing could wind up. A pro controller I would say is pretty much almost a necessity, at least for docked play, but you're getting 2 player multiplayer from the getgo with the L and R Joy cons( which is a positive); at that point another set at $80 to get extra people playing is entirely optional. But when you start factoring in other 'hidden cost' items like a decent sized storage card, online play which is a new thing for Nintendo customers, and the receipts start adding up.

Onboard storage is poor. Personally I'm going to buy physical at first and see how fast the onboard storage fills up but I'd much rather not needing to worry about it. The pro is absolutely WTF priced, and yeah, I'm not sure why the dock is so much, but I don't need a second either, but I fail to see how it's so expensive.

The online service better be no more than $30 a year for what they've announced. I'm presuming it'll be the same as XBLG and PS+ though, which is absurd.

But for local MP games, this thing looks fantastic, and is pretty fairly priced imho.

$50 for one.
$80 for a pair.
$30/$15 for a Charging Grip/Non-Charging Third Party Grip

This is worse than handing someone a shitty third-party controller. Making people buy their own shit, hahaha..what? I can understand if they own the system as well, but come on.

A third party grip is worse than a third party controller? I clearly said you'd pay for the grip if they wouldn't.

It is and they are, though the battery lasts 20 hours so I sincerely doubt this will actually be a problem for anyone in real-world use. Just plug them back in to your system when you're done and let them charge.

20hrs battery life makes it a non-issue just attach it to screen after you are done. No big deal.

I always pull the plug of my systems and TV before I go to bed or leave the house so it's actually a huge issue.

BahamutPT

The official site doesn't mention any USB port for the regular JCG in the section regarding the features of what's packed in.
It does show a port in other things that are packed in and in the Charging version of the JCG, so I don't think it's a website oversight either.

I'm thinking the versions shown for Hands-On are the Charging ones, probably to keep the Joy Cons charged, and that is confusing everyone (including me).

_DiGiTaL_

The prices are a bit steep but why are people complaining about a NIntendo Pro Controllering being $70? Personally it doesn't bother me especially if it even has 25% of the battery life of the Wii U Pro controller til this day that thing is still unmatched. We are okay buying PS4 Dual Shock 4 Controller at $60 which barely has 4 hours of battery life, rubber thumb grips peeled and the trigger springs can just pop out of place. But give Nintendo $10 extra for a Pro Controller is an issue?

I was hoping the dock was cheaper as I would have gotten like 2 of those but looks like I will grab just 1 extra. No plans on buying any joycons or joycon grips. Pro Controller all the way for me.

Somnid

So I won't be able to play (on TV) while they are recharging. Thats a bummer.

Well if you played enough to drain the ~20hour battery life on the Joy-cons. One assumes you store them on the dock when you are done so it's mostly an issue if you forgot, had a second pair or were part of some monster gaming session.

Dipswitch

I don't suppose Nintendo has said whether the joycon controller batteries are user replaceable? I'm expecting no, since that would actually be convenient.....

Yes.

I know, but even thinking that people would buy a grip to use at a friend's house is just ridiculous to me, especially if they don't even own the unit themselves.

I've bought controllers to use at other people's houses for that reason before. I don't expect people to do it. If I wanted a grip and my friend hadn't bought one, I wouldn't bitch at them not having spent $15 for something they'd never use themselves.

Maybe that's just me.

The prices are a bit steep but why are people complaining about a NIntendo Pro Controllering being $70? Personally it doesn't bother me especially if it even has 25% of the battery life of the Wii U Pro controller til this day that thing is still unmatched. We are okay buying PS4 Dual Shock 4 Controller at $60 which barely has 4 hours of battery life, rubber thumb grips peeled and the trigger springs can just pop out of place. But give Nintendo $10 extra for a Pro Controller is an issue?

I was hoping the dock was cheaper as I would have gotten like 2 of those but looks like I will grab just 1 extra. No plans on buying any joycons or joycon grips. Pro Controller all the way for me.

The Wii U Pro controller wasn't $70. I'd have bitched if it was.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
There looks to be a usb port on the packed in controller, I will eat my goddamn boxers if you can't use that to charge the joycons.

Show floor or unboxing?

You may want to get some A-1 sauce (yuck) for those boxers.

I've bought controllers to use at other people's houses for that reason before. I don't expect people to do it. If I wanted a grip and my friend hadn't bought one, I wouldn't bitch at them not having spent $15 for something they'd never use themselves.

Maybe that's just me.

We are just going around in circles with personal preferences and one person (me) being shocked at the cost and one person (you) not really thinking it is a big deal.

There is no point to the discussion anymore.

Cheers!

YBdisk

Yeh the pricing on controllers is outrageous. Was thinking should I get a Pro Controller? $100AUD? Nah the grip will suffice.

Wii U controller was up there too, $69AUD. I ended up buying one from EB second hand, $18AUD. Was happy with that

That garbage d-pad and 'in the way of buttons' right analog stick though. I need the pro controller but I will not pay 80 euros for it. I was lucky to get a €25 pricematch on the WiiU pro controller. I regret not buying atleast 2 when I had the chance.

All these prices need to drop by at least 25%

Two Joy Cons $80 --> $60 (25% off)

One Joy Con $50 --> $30 (40% off)

Charging Grip $30 --> $20 (33% off)

Pro Controller $70 --> $50 (28.5% off)

Dock $90 --> $60 (33% off)

That makes the $110 full joycon gamepad only $80, which is much better.

Also, 1, 2, Switch! should be a pack in title, like Wii Sports and Nintendoland.

The WiiU Pro Controller should be natively compatible, indistinguishable in gameplay from the Pro Controller. That would give everyone an immediately cheaper avenue to complete their controller sets.

I mean, I'm a Nintendo fanboy so I'll buy it anyway, but I think general audiences are gonna be scared off by the price.

That garbage d-pad and 'in the way of buttons' right analog stick though. I need the pro controller but I will not pay 80 euros for it. I was lucky to get a €25 pricematch on the WiiU pro controller. I regret not buying atleast 2 when I had the chance.

The only game I've seen so far that really needs a d-pad is Street Fighter 2. I wouldn't spend even $40 to get a controller with a d-pad just to be able to play SF2 on the switch.

rpmurphy

I don't suppose Nintendo has said whether the joycon controller batteries are user replaceable? I'm expecting no, since that would actually be convenient.....
They are Li-ion batteries, and Nintendo would not tell you that you can replace them without going through their service center.

Maybe that's just me.

The Wii U Pro controller wasn't $70. I'd have bitched if it was.

It was $50 or $60 wasnt it? $70 for the switch pro doesn't sound too bad in comparison when considering whats in it

That is the JoyCon Charging Grip. It's $30, and not included in the box with the system.

It honestly feels like we won't know the situation until this shit is unboxed in March.

We don't need to wait for anything. There are two JoyCon Grips. One is included and called the JoyCon Grip. The other is sold separately and called the JoyCon Charging Grip. There are detailed pictures of both of them in this very thread a couple pages ago. One of them has a USB charger on it, one of them doesn't.

Somnid

Wonder if we'll see 3rd party docks, surely they'd be able to knock them out cheap?

Depends. Expecting less than $50 you might be disappointed. Check out existing prices for USB C docks/Dongles, something about them makes them expensive, though I don't know what. But you'd imagine any 3rd party one for PC/mac would work as well.

Breads

Banned
So $450 for a basic homesetup with my personal uses cases in mind.

Sorry but the hardware/ software isn't compelling enough for that. I'll see where they are in a year.

ok the controllers are a little pricey but WTF is going on with the dock price. $90 plus taxes for an HDMI pass through + charging station?

145.jpg

Do we actually know that or are you just guessing?

See:

The fuck went on in that Joycon Grip thread? The damn first post has the link to the proof on Nintendo's own site and yet people cause a storm and it gets locked? Open that sucker back up!

JOYCON GRIP! Included with console, no USB-C
ZvfbF65.jpg

JOYCON CHARGING GRIP! $30, USB-C
AOCF5xr.jpg

They are two different grips. The one included in the box with the Switch is the first one, and does not have a USB plug, thus is doesn't charge the JoyCons. The other one literally has the word "charging" in its product name. You can see for yourself on Nintendo's website. It sucks ass but they're two different products.

Edit:

joy-con_charging_grip.jpg

The Charging Grip is also apparently translucent and the normal one is matte, to further differentiate them. (unless that's just for the product shots but it's not like Nintendo hasn't made translucent controllers before)

azyless

Do we actually know that or are you just guessing?
I mean this is pretty close to confirmation :
From the Japanese site: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/hardware/...ies/index.html
"You can use "Joy-Con (L)" and "Joy-Con (R)" as a grip type controller.
Unlike the "Joy - Con grip" that comes with the main unit set, you can also charge "Joy - Con" while using the included USB charging cable, so you do not have to worry about running out of the battery."

prices are definitely a detractor....the price of entry is worse than the vita!

????

A vita at launch with 32gigs of memory would have set you back $350.

The cheapest you could have gone was $270 for 4 gigs of memory. Not factoring in inflation. Memory cards were not optional as they are here.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
I am unsure who Nintendo thinks is the target audience when they price things so high like that. At this point, I'm just sad I can't use my Wii U Pro Controllers. I have 4 of those sitting around that would work perfectly fine with the Switch.

I can't really imagine paying more for a controller than for any individual Switch game. That's gonna hurt Nintendo bad.

Digital triggers confirmed.

Didn't they say "The harder you push the further he throws" during the Bomberman stream or something?

Laura Kate Dale said she thinks they're digital on the JoyCons but analog on the Pro Controller. Fuck me.

C'mon Nintendo don't make me buy a goddamn $70 controller to play Gamecube Virtual Console games.

Didn't they say "The harder you push the further he throws" during the Bomberman stream or something?

Laura Kate Dale said she thinks they're digital on the JoyCons but analog on the Pro Controller. Fuck me.

C'mon Nintendo don't make me buy a goddamn $70 controller to play Gamecube Virtual Console games.

I thought it was the longer you held down the button.

Not being able to play Gamecube virtual console games on the go just using the attached joycons would be a massive fail.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
That is the JoyCon Charging Grip. It's $30, and not included in the box with the system.

We don't need to wait for anything. There are two JoyCon Grips. One is included and called the JoyCon Grip. The other is sold separately and called the JoyCon Charging Grip. There are detailed pictures of both of them in this very thread a couple pages ago. One of them has a USB charger on it, one of them doesn't.

Believe me, I know all that. I started a thread that got to the bottom of all of it but it was locked because of...reasons?

It's just that its such an insane scrimpy thing to do, especially with showroom floor stuff possibly all being the Charging Grip, that it's hard to just take all the website and product details at face value.

One store here in Finland is selling Joy-Cons for 30€ and two for 54,99€ I believe.

So, I think that it is up to retailer to set the price.

http://www.vpd.fi/pelit/switch.html

Games are all marked as 59,99€ and the console as 499€ so they are placeholder prices still.

It just strikes odd that they have such a low price right now.

Almost every store has placeholder prices, they are slow here!

I thought it was the longer you held down the button.

Not being able to play Gamecube virtual console games on the go just using the attached joycons would be a massive fail.

Ah fuck, come on!!

PRAYING for a cheap GCN JoyCon without all the NFC/HD Rumble/IR Camera shit in it then. I really do not want to pay $70 for a controller at all.

Believe me, I know all that. I started a thread that got to the bottom of all of it but it was locked because of...reasons?

It's just that its such an insane scrimpy thing to do, especially with showroom floor stuff possibly all being the Charging Grip, that it's hard to just take all the website and product details at face value.

If it turns out that they bundled the Charging Grip with the system I will jump and click my heels and happily eat crow, but I'm just going off what's on their own sites and the difference between the two on the show floors. I think it's dumb as fuck for them to have two different JoyCon Grips. I mean who would even use the normal one once they get the Charging Grip? Complete and total waste.

Top Bottom