• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Joy-Con $80, Pro Controller $70

Luschient

gRalSC3.jpg

lol, she's probably sitting there still with all those fucking Wii U's in her van.

meanspartan

Any extra controllers I buy will just be pro controllers, not interested in $110 to buy up an entire grip + funsticks or whatever the fuck they are called.

Fixed that a little for you.

To be fair we don't even know how much the non-powered JCG costs since it's a pack-in and they don't even sell the damned thing on its own.

Seeing as how Nunchucks are still $20 I imagine it'd be $20 minimum though, probably $25. $5 more and you can charge your JoyCons, oooo the value

Edit:

Oh shiiiiiiiiii

ShdwDrake

Banned
Because I do not see a non-charging grip for sale.

The fact of the matter is, if a person wants a pair of Joy-Cons that can also be used in a standard controller format, that cost is $110.

Or you would buy the 70$ pro controller and miss out on having 2 more joy cons.

pablito

Damn

After the BOTW trailer I was ready to get a Switch. But I didn't see this pricing. And 900p BOTW.

BOTW Wii U, and waiting for CEMU support is what I'll be doing. I'll catch a Switch on a sale when it has more games.

Ploid 3.0

For everyone complaining about price and comparing to Dualshock:

Remember that this has an advanced haptic-like rumble system as well as technology for detecting an object's position relative to the controller.

This is NOT an apples-to-apples comparison. I don't like the high price, either, but let's be realistic here.

Haptic is very useful for the steam controller, and it feels weird when I don't have it set up (the controller actually feels dead when they aren't on). The motors helps me tell when the trackball momentum on the pads are slowing down due to my friction setting, and gives me a thunk feeling when I'm at the end of my wheel turn with my steering wheel gyroscope setting, among other features. This Switch rumble situation is unfortunate since it skyrockets the price so high, maybe it's the ir camera thing that's causing the cost to be so high.

The steam controller, with two haptic motors, awesome gyroscope, and two touch pads comes at a very reasonable price. They can even sing. Especially when it's on sale for almost half off. Speaking of steam, I wonder if they will eventually add switch controllers to their controller api.

Anyone else annoyed that the $80 colored joycons come with the grey wrist strap/shoulder buttons?

Not only that but they are then selling the colored ones for an additional 8 bucks for one...

Maybe I can just get my paychecks made out to Nintendo and cut out the middle man.

lindseybp

Is the pro controller up for pre order anywhere? Just came from GameStop and they aren't even taking pre orders for it. Will the pro controller be the new Nintendo classic from a scarcity stand point??

Ok, $95 with the off-brand non-charging version.

Thank you.

Honest question, is there any local MP game announced yet that supports more than two players that needs a pair of joycons (or a pro) for each player? I've only seen two player games like Arms that need a pair (and that one doesn't work with the grip). I'm guessing splatoon 2 will have two player split screen.

Everything I've seen that support more than two players uses the joycons. Have I overlooked anything?

Is this a serious question!?!?! Split controller gaming with your hands at your sides is the most comfortable form of gaming ever. WTF

It's a matter of preference. But I was very glad to see it confirmed you could use them that way. I love split controllers.

Somnid

Do you really want to play your games like you're using Wii remotes all over again?

I feel like I'm in bizarro world. Wii Remote's split structure was amazing for posture and comfort. Very comfortable to stand and play behind the back after sitting at a desk all day or stretch out on the floor.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Thank you.

Honest question, is there any local MP game announced yet that supports more than two players that needs a pair of joycons (or a pro) for each player? I've only seen two player games like Arms that need a pair (and that one doesn't work with the grip). I'm guessing splatoon 2 will have two player split screen.

Everything I've seen that support more than two players uses the joycons. Have I overlooked anything?

No idea.

I feel like I'm in bizarro world. Wii Remote's split structure was amazing for posture and comfort. Very comfortable to stand and play behind the back after sitting at a desk all day or stretch out on the floor.
Yeah for about a month and then nobody cared about waggle. Most of the time the controls got in the way or were worse than they'd be using a traditional controller. Only exceptions I can think of off the top of my head were Resident Evil 4 port and Wii Sports.

Wait you can't charge the joy-con with the grip and usb? You have to stop playing and put them on the dock/console?

This can't be right. They can't be serious

It is and they are, though the battery lasts 20 hours so I sincerely doubt this will actually be a problem for anyone in real-world use. Just plug them back in to your system when you're done and let them charge.

Wait you can't charge the joy-con with the grip and usb? You have to stop playing and put them on the dock/console?

This can't be right. They can't be serious

You don't have to stop playing. Because you can keep playing with the tablet. You have to stop playing on the TV, yes, but not completely. And they're apparently 20 hour battery life. Just redock them when you are done.

Yeah for about a month and then nobody cared about waggle. Most of the time the controls got in the way or were worse than they'd be using a traditional controller. Only exceptions I can think of off the top of my head were Resident Evil 4 port and Wii Sports.

Using pointer controls =/= split controller gaming. Playing Twilight Princess and Mario Galaxy with my hands at my sides on the couch was fantastic, the only nuisance was the cord connecting Wii Remote and Nunchuck which is now gone.

There is no pointer gaming on the Switch so needing to raise your arms to point at things (oh the horror) won't even be a thing anymore. It's literally gonna be like cracking a DS4 or Xbone controller in half. It's the best way to play!

There is plenty to bitch about. I am bitching about the online service. 32 gigs of on board is poor. The pricing isn't anything like as competitive as we were hoping. The pro controller is ridiculously expensive. The launch line up is sparse with some laughably old games padding it out. Three hour battery life for games like Zelda is poor.

Bitching about needing to spend $80 on top of the system to be able to play four player local MP just seems like trying to bitch about every single possible thing.

KarmaCow

There is plenty to bitch about. I am bitching about the online service. 32 gigs of on board is poor. The pricing isn't anything like as competitive as we were hoping. The pro controller is ridiculously expensive. The launch line up is sparse with some laughably old games padding it out. Three hour battery life for games like Zelda is poor.

Bitching about needing to spend $80 on top of the system to be able to play four player local MP just seems like trying to bitch about every single possible thing.

I don't know about anyone else but I'm more annoyed that a full controller is $70 USD or more since the individual joycons look worse than holding the Wiimote sideways.

Somnid

We're not talking about waggle, we're talking about a stick and buttons without the back hunching.

HardRojo

The grip that comes with the console doesn't charge controllers? You have to buy a separate one for that? I mean, it's not a big issue because the battery is good, but still man, unless I'm misunderstanding things, which I could be.
Also, whenever I get a Switch (2 years from now most likely) I'll definitely be picking up a Pro Controller (hopefully for less by then) as I don't plan on playing it with the Joycons nor as a portable console.

True in the sense that if you wanted 4 player wii capability, each extra wiimote was $40, with the nunchuck being $20. I think people have forgotten then. The Pro controller at $70 is the real WTF price IMHO, as well as the Dock as I'd probably have bought an extra one to put in my bedroom if they were like $30-40 dollars. Again, that's strictly an optional accessory to buy extra docks.

I think overall, it's a case of people doing the math and seeing just how expensive this thing could wind up. A pro controller I would say is pretty much almost a necessity, at least for docked play, but you're getting 2 player multiplayer from the getgo with the L and R Joy cons( which is a positive); at that point another set at $80 to get extra people playing is entirely optional. But when you start factoring in other 'hidden cost' items like a decent sized storage card, online play which is a new thing for Nintendo customers, and the receipts start adding up.

Mohonky

Yeh the pricing on controllers is outrageous. Was thinking should I get a Pro Controller? $100AUD? Nah the grip will suffice.

Wii U controller was up there too, $69AUD. I ended up buying one from EB second hand, $18AUD. Was happy with that

Top Bottom